HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr:Yes or No?

View Poll Results: Jagr?
Yes 34 61.82%
No 21 38.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Jagr:Yes or No?

I know the team still has defense problems.. but thats not the point here. Are you happy with trading Anson Carter for Jagr and paying Jags 5 mill a season?

Old
01-23-2004, 04:50 PM
TrueBlue4life

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TrueBlue4life
i love this trade... carter for jagr is a no brainer... and we only pay him 5 million a year, not bad at all.... jagr will improve our power play and it will improve the play of nedved... its also good for lindros because other teams wont be able to put their best players against him...

Old
01-23-2004, 05:03 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Dag, I should have made this a public poll. Reply with your thoughts fellas.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:05 PM
RangerBlue381

Send a message via AIM to RangerBlue381
Despite the fact that it doesn't fix the biggest concerns, the fact the Rangers can get a guy who has scored a point a game on bad teams, and he will be playing with players he's been with before in Pittsburgh. Who knows if it will in fact work out, but with all the circumstances in the trade, this was a steal for the Rangers. Now hopefully we can put a scoring winger on the Lindros line and there's potential for 4 lines with the ability to put points on the board.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
I know the team still has defense problems.. but thats not the point here. Are you happy with trading Anson Carter for Jagr and paying Jags 5 mill a season?
IF this is just about a straight swap of Carter for Jagr at 5M a season, I'm cool with it. However, I am WELL aware that this is just a deflection move for Sather and we still have a sinking ship. The new deck chair was nice though.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:13 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue4life
carter for jagr is a no brainer...
And who better to pull it off than a GM with no brain.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:15 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Ba Dum Ba Chis!

Old
01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
I feel this was a great trade.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:18 PM
ihatenewjersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
IF this is just about a straight swap of Carter for Jagr at 5M a season, I'm cool with it. However, I am WELL aware that this is just a deflection move for Sather and we still have a sinking ship. The new deck chair was nice though.
hey i love the trade, i really do, but if we don't get a solid d man, then i don't know what the hell is goin on

Old
01-23-2004, 05:20 PM
dedalus

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Brutal. Just brutal.

My only hope is that this is Sather's last chance to save his sorry ass. I have to wonder just how quickly Dolan will bring Sather back if he fails after having added Jagr to the payroll. The fact that this looks like a desperation move is the only silver lining I see.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:22 PM
dedalus

Quote:
jagr will improve our power play and it will improve the play of nedved... its also good for lindros because other teams wont be able to put their best players against him...
Quote:
the Rangers can get a guy who has scored a point a game on bad teams, and he will be playing with players he's been with before in Pittsburgh.
Yeah. Remember when we said the same of Kovalev?

Old
01-23-2004, 05:33 PM
Davisian

Assuming the poll meant "Jagr: what the Rangers need?" the answer is a resounding

#%$&*@*#

NO!

Old
01-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
Assuming the poll meant "Jagr: what the Rangers need?" the answer is a resounding

#%$&*@*#

NO!
Ugh. I know its not what the need. I asked if people liked losing Carter for Jagr.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Ugh. I know its not what the need. I asked if people liked losing Carter for Jagr.
And the answer is still $%$%&# NO.. I would have liked to lose Carter for a defenseman..

Old
01-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
And the answer is still $%$%&# NO.. I would have liked to lose Carter for a defenseman..
Ok. Thats fair.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:38 PM
dedalus

Quote:
But it's not only about that. Too often the Rangers and their fans have reduced these trades to a simple swap of talent. What gets ignored is a larger philosophy that preaches building instead of buying. they don't play games in a vacuum, so we can't lok at any trade in a vacuum.

This trade reflects the same tired thinking that has ruled this team since the 94 Cup.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Troy Mallette

That: (1) the trade doesn't address our biggest needs and (2) that this team still has extremely serious attitude/coaching/chemistry problems are important points. However, just looking at the trade itself, I am happy with it. More correctly, I am relieved that we did not give up any picks/prospects/good players.

Anytime you can trade a pretty good second line scoring right wing for an all-star first line scoring right wing and don't give up that much in the way of age or attitude, you do so. (Yes, I think that Carter had a bad attitude, but unlike Jagr, not enough talent to back it up.)

Old
01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
ihatenewjersey

Quote:

thats what sather uses people like lundmark for

Old
01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:

#%$&*@*#

NO!
We all know it's not what we need, but Carter's value is next to nothing right now. He's playing like crap right now, so any team that trades for him does so on the chance that he regains his form. At his best, Carter was a 2nd liner on a good team. So he's a 29-year-old winger making $2.8 mil on a 1-year contract with 2nd line talent but sucks right now. How much value does that player have? The answer is obviously equal value of a player that the other team is dying to get rid of. Carter was not going to bring us the d-man we need.

If the players and numbers are right, then you HAVE to make this deal, because there really is NO downside to this trade.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatenewjersey
thats what sather uses people like lundmark for
I sure hope this doesnt turn into a Bure thing. We manage to keep our top young players out of a deal, only to trade them the next day.

We hear for weeks that the Rangers are going to land Bure, but York will be involed. He pulls off getting Bure without giving up Yorkie.. no one can be more happy.

Next day, 3 PM eastern he trades Mike York for Tom Poti.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:46 PM
FACEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Yeah. Remember when we said the same of Kovalev?
and bure.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:56 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor

That was great.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Larry Melnyk

This trade blows donkey dong......Hey, the Eric Lindros trade was great and made the Rangers a better team---NOT! The Pavel Bure trade was great and made the Rangers a better team---Not!....the Alex Kovalev tradw was great and made the Rangers better---NOT!...JAGR? NOT!......The Jagr deal is a no brainer because it took no brains and only money and delusions to make the deal, and because we continue to have a team and GM with No Brains.....All having Jaromir Jagr will do is add a some goals---both for and against...Having Jaromir jagr will make it easier for every player on the team to want to forget about defense and just play for goals...To prance around the ice like pansies and look for the pretty, picture-perfect play....When the opposite is what is needed and the only thing that succeeds in the nHL outside of Colorado.....

This team will continue to sink and stink to high heavens as guys like Kovalev, Jagr, Nedved, Messier are useless as the games get tighter...And the dressing room should be a hoot with all these primadonna chiefs acting all special and satisfied....My bet is that within two weeks Bobby Holik takes a gun to his own head or to the rest of the team.....And let's just say before today I didn't think it possible for the Rangers lack of guts and heart to go any lower---I was wrong....12th in the East............And then we have this whining, pouting scumsucker for the next 4 years at 5 mill per as the linchpin of the team future? My god we are screwed...

Old
01-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Bacchus

I don't mind losing Carter (wait: Did I say loose? :p )
BUT
I do mind "wining" Jagr (should have said whining Jagr...).

"Sather clueless" is back...

Old
01-23-2004, 06:48 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
If the players and numbers are right, then you HAVE to make this deal, because there really is NO downside to this trade.
You mean other than the introduction of a locker room poison onto the team?

Here's the thing, could we have gotten better talent value for Carter? Absolutely not. But mayber the organization should be looking less at talent value and more at TEAM value. Jaromir Jagr is technically worth FAR more than a 2nd round pick, but I would rather have that pick than Jaromir Jagr, and I thing Carter could've brought back that pick under the right circumstances.

Would that pick have helped THIS team? No. But this team is arguable beyond redemption. That pick would've helped a future Rangers team.

Closed Thread