HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason on the way for Tuesday? *Confirmed*

Old
01-07-2008, 01:54 PM
firethecannon

vCash: 500
Mason on the way for Tuesday? *Confirmed*

The CBJ are researching the possibility of recalling Mason. Evidentally there is a loophole for excessive injuries

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/

-- Goaltender Pascal Leclaire is not making the trip to St. Louis. It's believed he has a viral infection that is causing dizzyness. Should be a day to day situation. Not sure what's going to happen in terms of a back-up. The obvious choice is to call up Karl Goehring from Syracuse, as the Crunch don't have a game until Friday. I believe the Blue Jackets are researching the process for getting Steve Mason out of his junior club. It can be done if there are enough injuries, and the Jackets' organization have incurred lots of goalie injuries this season. Stay tuned.

Last edited by CBJSlash: 01-07-2008 at 03:27 PM.
firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
firethecannon

His new team in Kitchener will not be happy if he comes to Columbus. They just traded a couple of players and a handful of picks for him.

firethecannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:04 PM
wildone26*

I find that idea pretty stupid. It does not sound LeClaire will be out long, so it is not like a long term thing he would gain much from it.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethecannon View Post
The CBJ are researching the possibility of recalling Mason. Evidentally there is a loophole for excessive injuries

-- Goaltender Pascal Leclaire is not making the trip to St. Louis. It's believed he has a viral infection that is causing dizzyness. Should be a day to day situation. Not sure what's going to happen in terms of a back-up. The obvious choice is to call up Karl Goehring from Syracuse, as the Crunch don't have a game until Friday. I believe the Blue Jackets are researching the process for getting Steve Mason out of his junior club. It can be done if there are enough injuries, and the Jackets' organization have incurred lots of goalie injuries this season. Stay tuned.
One thing to keep in mind is that Leclaire could never take full reigns of the number one spot while Goehring was with the Crunch before. I don't think it was ever a case of whether or not Leclaire was better or not. It had more to do with that even though he was better by a small-medium margin his consistency was no where near Karl's. He may not have all of the skill we are used to seeing but you can rest assured of what you would get game in and game out. I don't think he is a NHL goalie more than depth but he could pull out a win or so if needed.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I find that idea pretty stupid. It does not sound LeClaire will be out long, so it is not like a long term thing he would gain much from it.
Yeah I'm confused as to why they would do this, unless they perceive it as a nice pat on the back for his WJC MVP performance.

Nordique is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by firethecannon View Post

My eyes bugged out when I saw this in Puckrakers. The thing is, even if the team works out something to get Mason out of Juniors, is it really the best thing for the kid's long-term development? Would being in Kichener for a playoff run give him more than (ahem) rushing to the NHL? 19 is awfully young for a goalie in the NHL.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
But if you get him recalled he is then up and could possibly clear the way for Freddy No to be traded.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
WrightOn

I didn't think Goehring could be 'recalled' as he has an AHL contract.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
But if you get him recalled he is then up and could possibly clear the way for Freddy No to be traded.

or PL...

Now that is an interesting angle there AG.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

LOL that would be hilarious, but I guess Kitchener didn't give up too many significant people to get him anyways, not vital to their success this year.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Macster

This makes sense. The Jackets currently have none of their goalies healthy outside of Norrena right now.

- Leclaire is out with this dizzyness thing

- Pops is out for the season (and some are saying potentially career)

- Lacosta was injured in the bus crash, he's still out

- Munro, Goehring and Kowalski are all AHL property. We can't call these guys up, unless we sign one to an NHL contract.

- Allen York, one of our 2007 draft picks, plays in the AJHL...there's no way in hell he is getting consideration.

The only other goalie who we have in our system is Mase. He would likely be put in Syracuse under "emergency recall".

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:22 PM
blahblah

You seem to have gotten the impression the Jackets were looking to get Mason for the Jackets? I got the impression this was to get Mason to the Crunch.

The article references a lot of injuries in the Jackets organization. There haven't been many at the big club.

If it did happen, maybe they would have Mason up here until Leclaire is healthy, but I seriously doubt he would stay up here after that. If they could find a loop hole and get him in the AHL for the rest of the year, that would be really nice. He would then truely be able to be called upon for injuries and would still be developing on an almost nightly basis.

Howson seemed pretty decided on having Mason in the AHL next year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:23 PM
wildone26*

I would rather Mason have a chance to win the Memorial Cup with Kitchener this year.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:24 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I would rather Mason have a chance to win the Memorial Cup with Kitchener this year.
Yeah, I could care less about individual achievements. I would rather get him to the AHL sooner if we can somehow pull that off.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
or PL...

Now that is an interesting angle there AG.
Kind of makes you think doesn't it. Get's the whole conspiracy theory rolling. So is Mason going to be our magic bullet to get the trading started.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
This makes sense. The Jackets currently have none of their goalies healthy outside of Norrena right now.

- Leclaire is out with this dizzyness thing

- Pops is out for the season (and some are saying potentially career)

- Lacosta was injured in the bus crash, he's still out

- Munro, Goehring and Kowalski are all AHL property. We can't call these guys up, unless we sign one to an NHL contract.

- Allen York, one of our 2007 draft picks, plays in the AJHL...there's no way in hell he is getting consideration.

The only other goalie who we have in our system is Mase. He would likely be put in Syracuse under "emergency recall".
Don't we loop hole or not still get burned by the whole age thing? I was under the impression that is why he went back to juniors instead of AHL this season.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:43 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Kind of makes you think doesn't it. Get's the whole conspiracy theory rolling. So is Mason going to be our magic bullet to get the trading started.
It would give something for people to talk, scream, and insult each other about for a while.

If they trade PL, it better be the trade of all trades. Otherwise I would seriously question Howson's sanity.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
What would Mason want though?

I asked Leclaire 2 seasons ago when they were getting ready to send him down to play in the AHL playoffs if he was pumped for a chance to go after the cup. He had no issues with saying that he didn't want to go at all playoffs or not. It took me a while to realize that it was basically like asking me if I would rather be at my old position in the company instead of the promotion I had gotten. Basically like getting priomoted to supervisor and then put back on the assembly line time and time again.

Mason may not even want to be called up at all. He did ask to be sent down before they sent him down so he could get more playing time.

Old
01-07-2008, 02:52 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
If they trade PL, it better be the trade of all trades. Otherwise I would seriously question Howson's sanity.
Let the games begin...

Two "dream" trades that come to mind.

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
Fedorov
2nd

FROM TB:
Lecavalier

or

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
2nd

FROM LA:
Kopitar
Jack Johnson

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

wow, the guy may get recalled as an emergency recall to sit on the bench for a game or 2 and people are talking trade and ruining his long term development.

This is not a long term development,we just need a healthy backup for a game or 2 and nobody readily available in Syracuse to call up without signing a contract.

Last edited by Iron Balls McGinty: 01-07-2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Iron Balls McGinty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Let the games begin...

Two "dream" trades that come to mind.

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
Fedorov
2nd

FROM TB:
Lecavalier

or

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
2nd

FROM LA:
Kopitar
Jack Johnson
Don't forget

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
Fedorov
1st

FROM TB:
Ovechkin

There are rumors of contract troubles and him wanting 10 mill per for next season. Personally I think we have about that much to spend and he would most certainly solve our #1 center problem not to mention give the offensive boost that could throw us into the playoffs.

Old
01-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
wow, the guy may get recalled as an emergency recall to sit on the bench for a game or 2 and people are talking trade and ruining his long term development.

This is not a long term development,we just need a healthy backup for a game or 2 and nobody readily available in Syracuse to call up without signing a contract.
Boredom with lack of trade news so we can figure out if we are buying or selling has us easily amused today. Jump in the water is great

Old
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 1247
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
You can call up a junior in cases of "excessive injuries" Oilers did it last year with a defensman late in the season.

Those trades are pretty bad by the way. Don't know if it's an inside joke or not.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Nothing gets attention around the league like the dangling of a solid or even all star goalie on the trade market.

I don't think we're going to make a real trade this season, but if we do, and something good comes our way, it might just cost us a goalie.

Old
01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Don't forget

FROM CBJ:
Leclaire
Fedorov
1st

FROM TB:
Ovechkin

There are rumors of contract troubles and him wanting 10 mill per for next season. Personally I think we have about that much to spend and he would most certainly solve our #1 center problem not to mention give the offensive boost that could throw us into the playoffs.
Ovechkin's listed as a left wing (on WAS, not TB ). Has he played center?

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote