HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mason on the way for Tuesday? *Confirmed*

Old
01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not all.....the only reason people are getting so excited, including Howson, is based on Mason's recent stint in the Jrs. and the need for something new to jump start the Jackets into a bonified playoff race. Trust me, the Blue Jackets can only harm the young Steve Mason by putting him into a potentially NHL playoff race situation....
Who said Howson's excited? If I were him, I'd be pissed that all our other goalies were injured and I HAD to call up a 19 year old kid to cover in case of ANTHER potential injury.

BTW, most of the thread (i.e. trading Pazzy, sending Mason to the AHL) was either a joke or people looking for information. I can't remember this happening before to the Jackets so it's new to me. Bottom line is this: Mason is not allowed to play unless Norrena gets injured. If he does play, that's very bad for the entire organization. Assuming nothing happens to Norrena, Mason goes back to juniors after Pazzy gets over this virus he has which is probably in a couple days.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelleyFan45 View Post
I agree, but I don't think you'll see him play here at all, and I doubt he will be up long. From all indications Pazzy should be good to go after Tuesday's game.
Hell, dress Modin for backup goaltender if that's the case..... Just kidding of course....time for Jacket fans to lighten up a bit....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
I knew about the age limit but since we don't have any CBJ prospects playing in our AHL affiliate at the moment, it stands to reason that we'd be able to assign him there.
I said earlier that we'd call him up to place him in Syracuse, but later this evening I remembered that he isn't allowed to play in the AHL.

This move is simple, Norrena needs a back up and we don't have a healthy one in the pros to call up. When Pazzy gets back, Mase will be back in Kitchener. I think it's excellent timing, Mase will be on such a high from the World Juniors and his trade to the Mem Cup hosts. If he actually does see playing time (i doubt he will) I guarantee he will be playing out of his mind, with how pumped he must be right now. At very least I consider this a reward for him.

EDIT: Robert, are you all right? Seriously?

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
EDIT: Robert, are you all right? Seriously?
Just fine, just because someone doesn't think it's a wise choice to activate Steve Mason to back up Norrena shouldn't be mis construed as being "not alright". In fact, what is the implication of your question anyway?

Old
01-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Macster

Quote:
Just fine, just because someone doesn't think it's a wise choice to activate Steve Mason to back up Norrena shouldn't be mis construed as being "not alright". In fact, what is the implication of your question anyway?
Not just this thread man, it seems lately you just have so much hatred built up.

You seem to not like Howson at all, amongst other things.

Old
01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Considering the next game is on the road and Leclaire could be good to go after that this is anything but a PR stunt.

Under MacLean who knows...but Howson is not a "PR stunt" type guy.

The fact is the Jackets are out of goalies, nothing more than that.
Out of goaltenders?!? So the team doesnt have any other very short term options for goaltenders in the system left with just a couple injuries. I have to think there is more to this then meets the eye.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
Out of goaltenders?!? So the team doesnt have any other very short term options for goaltenders in the system left with just a couple injuries. I have to think there is more to this then meets the eye.
Our ECHL guy is out, and so is our AHL guy. One of our NHLers is also out, so yeah, we are out of goaltenders.

This is simple- Norrena needs a backup and there aren't any backups, except for Mason.

Too easy.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Not just this thread man, it seems lately you just have so much hatred built up.

You seem to not like Howson at all, amongst other things.
Your off topic now....the point is, there are other options for a backup to Norrena. As for rewarding Mason, this is the NHL and a team who has struggled for 8 years and seven seasons to make the playoffs. It is not a venue to reward a teenager for a good performance in the World Jrs..... I want players with more experience than Mason at this stage of the season.....

Mason will have his day, now is not that time....imo of course.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post

That's my thinking as well..... Should I ask, "are you alright"?

Old
01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
the point is, there are other options for a backup to Norrena.
Please name these options.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:05 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Your off topic topic now....the point is, there are other options for a backup to Norrena. As for rewarding Mason, this is the NHL and a team who has struggled for 8 years and seven seasons to make the playoffs. It is not a venue to reward a teenager for a good performance in the World Jrs..... I want players with more experience than Mason at this stage of the season.....

WHO Are the other Options robert ?? Who ?? Name them for me please

Old
01-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Macster

Quote:
Your off topic now....the point is, there are other options for a backup to Norrena. As for rewarding Mason, this is the NHL and a team who has struggled for 8 years and seven seasons to make the playoffs. It is not a venue to reward a teenager for a good performance in the World Jrs..... I want players with more experience than Mason at this stage of the season.....

You're right, why do I give a ****? I can't even answer that question. Maybe it's because you are becoming throughly bizarre in your posting. Anyway...I'm done caring.

Everybody knows this isn't a permanent thing. It's just untli Pascal gets healthy. Barring an injury to Norrena, Mason won't even touch the ice. Sitting on the bench doesn't take experience dude.

Now, tell me some other options Robert?

Old
01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellington View Post
WHO Are the other Options robert ?? Who ?? Name them for me please
Karl Goehring

Old
01-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
You're right, why do I give a ****? I can't even answer that question. Maybe it's because you are becoming throughly bizarre in your posting. Anyway...I'm done caring.

Everybody knows this isn't a permanent thing. It's just untli Pascal gets healthy. Barring an injury to Norrena, Mason won't even touch the ice. Sitting on the bench doesn't take experience dude.

Now, tell me some other options Robert?
If Pascal doesn't get healthy soon we are indeed in trouble....

Old
01-07-2008, 08:27 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Karl Goehring
Karl Goehring does not have an NHL contract, he has an AHL contract with the Crunch. He can't be called up until we sign him to an NHL contract we're already at the contract limit, or close enough to it that it doesn't make sense to sign him for what would amount to one game. The only reason he's in Syracuse in the first place is because of all the other goalie injuries we've had.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:30 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Karl Goehring
My goodness gracious.

He can't be recalled to a team that doesn't own him. You haven't read the thread.

He is a SYR goalie, No NHL contract, and I believe that Puck-Rakers is mistaken in assuming he is an option, unless he is signed.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Karl Goehring
Why spend the money to sign him to an NHL contract, waste cap space, and force him to clear waivers to send him back when you don't have to? Especially not when there's another simple option?

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:37 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
My goodness gracious.

He can't be recalled to a team that doesn't own him. You haven't read the thread.

He is a SYR goalie, No NHL contract, and I believe that Puck-Rakers is mistaken in assuming he is an option, unless he is signed.
I haven't seen him listed on the Jackets website or on http://www.nhlscap.com (both list all players within the organization). So I think it was a mistake by Puck Rakers and he's not available as a call up.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Macster

Quote:
Karl Goehring does not have an NHL contract, he has an AHL contract with the Crunch. He can't be called up until we sign him to an NHL contract we're already at the contract limit, or close enough to it that it doesn't make sense to sign him for what would amount to one game. The only reason he's in Syracuse in the first place is because of all the other goalie injuries we've had.
Exactly. Great summation.

Puck-rakers made a mistake.

Speaking of Goehring, he couldn't even get a job in the AHL, he was signed to a PTO when Pops and Munro went down. He doesn't even have an AHL contract yet, let alone an NHL one.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Contract limit? If we are in such dire straights with contract limits that we can't sign an experienced goalie during a once in a lifetime playoff race we are in trouble.... One thing I like though, everyone is confident Leclaire has moved past his injury issues....I'd say we need him back pronto, and pray Norrena doesn't get hurt.

Old
01-07-2008, 08:46 PM
jore

I think we'd have to sign Goehring for the rest of the season with the minimum salary if we wanted him to be backup. Even a two-way deal would make him quite an expensive backup for one game. Much better idea to call up Mason since it's possible.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
I think we'd have to sign Goehring for the rest of the season with the minimum salary if we wanted him to be backup. Even a two-way deal would make him quite an expensive backup for one game. Much better idea to call up Mason since it's possible.
And that's what several others are saying.....what I'm saying is that few knew how vulnerable our current goaltending situation was untill Leclaire's recent illness.... And Mason is not the answer. If our goaltending depth requires a guy from the Jr's to be called up then somebody better take charge and sign some experienced goaltenders...

I can see it now, Leclaire is out sick for two weeks, Norrena pulls a groin and Mason tends goal without a backup.... come on, if our depth has no healthy goaltenders more experinced than Mason then you go out and sign one regardless of the cost....crazy....

Old
01-07-2008, 09:08 PM
leesmith
Still in.

I thought for sure someone was going to say Marc Denis. Oops!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
come on, if our depth has no healthy goaltenders more experinced than Mason then you go out and sign one regardless of the cost....crazy....
Cujo to Columbus - r4

Come on, Robert, until Mase plays in an NHL game, I think it's safe to assume this is a quirky situation with a bunch of injured/sick players and one player not under an NHL contract, all at one position. Fluke until I see otherwise. Yes, depth at the position might be an issue, but when you need an emergency callup it's probabkly an emergency. Can't just sign a guy off the street in that short order. Why is my post so long on this topic? Yikes!

Old
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I thought for sure someone was going to say Marc Denis. Oops!

He sucks but I liked him, bigtime headcase.....for the contract experts out there can we give him a practice tryout....

Really folks, if we only have two pros, Leclaire and Norrena capable of playing goalie at the NHL level then god help us..... Howson must get on the ball.......this is the NHL where some fans are paying thousands of dollars a year to see their team...

They deserve better....