HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Mason on the way for Tuesday? *Confirmed*

Old
01-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Cujo to Columbus - r4

Come on, Robert, until Mase plays in an NHL game, I think it's safe to assume this is a quirky situation with a bunch of injured/sick players and one player not under an NHL contract, all at one position. Fluke until I see otherwise. Yes, depth at the position might be an issue, but when you need an emergency callup it's probabkly an emergency. Can't just sign a guy off the street in that short order. Why is my post so long on this topic? Yikes!
Voice of reason....regardless, I'd take Conklin but most say he sucks.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Considering Mason is NUMBER 5 on the list i would say they thought they were fine but ya maybe they should have planed on Pops knee injury and that the bus Lacosta was on would wreck and then before one of them could heal Pascal would get sick

Old
01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Contract limit? If we are in such dire straights with contract limits that we can't sign an experienced goalie during a once in a lifetime playoff race we are in trouble.... One thing I like though, everyone is confident Leclaire has moved past his injury issues....I'd say we need him back pronto, and pray Norrena doesn't get hurt.
Dire straits?

Every team uses their limit, some teams leave one or two spots for deadline deals, otherwise it's not an issue. Where do you get this stuff?

This is the easiest move for the organization Robert. You are looking into it too far. It's a technical issue. At the same time, it serves as a bit of a reward for Mase.

This is really no big deal. Our goalie depth is fine, Howson could not have predicted that at the same time our star goalie would come down with some sort of illness that gives him dizzy spells, our top AHL guy would have a potentially career-ending injury, and our third guy would be involved in a bus crash.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Dire straits?

Every team uses their limit, some teams leave one or two spots for deadline deals, otherwise it's not an issue. Where do you get this stuff?

This is the easiest move for the organization Robert. You are looking into it too far. It's a technical issue. At the same time, it serves as a bit of a reward for Mase.

This is really no big deal. Our goalie depth is fine, Howson could not have predicted that at the same time our star goalie would come down with some sort of illness that gives him dizzy spells, our top AHL guy would have a potentially career-ending injury, and our third guy would be involved in a bus crash.
I don't follow all the teams in the universe but I did see this in 1995....Biron was called up from the jrs. by Muckler/Nolan....so it does happen. But it happens in the majors for the need of the major league team and nothing more....Mason is a child, as 99% of the players in jrs are. Jacket fans better hope this kid stays on the bench.

Old
01-07-2008, 10:01 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
LOL that would be hilarious, but I guess Kitchener didn't give up too many significant people to get him anyways, not vital to their success this year.
Actually Varrone and Tarasuk are pretty good prospects, and Nazem Kadri (a top 5 scorer on their team) will be coming next year with some of those picks going back. They paid a lot in futures and a delayed present.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Complaining Customer

In 2001 Theodore went down with a concussion and the Habs were without any options in net (Hackett was out for 2 months with a shoulder injury) other than Mathieu Garon who was in the AHL at the time. Garon started 5 games, but got pulled in one of those in Edmonton and Michel Therrien sent the 18 y/o call-up (from Juniors) Olivier Michaud in net to play the third period (he was perfect and stopped all of the 14 shots from the Oilers).

Extreme situation, extreme measures. It's only temporary and Mason is 10x the goalie Michaud was. He'll do fine practicing with the team and riding the bench - and who knows, might play a period or two. No need to sign anybody right now (unless there is more to what is known about Leclaire), and no need to panic.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...abs011031.html

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Not all.....the only reason people are getting so excited, including Howson, is based on Mason's recent stint in the Jrs. and the need for something new to jump start the Jackets into a bonified playoff race. Trust me, the Blue Jackets can only harm the young Steve Mason by putting him into a potentially NHL playoff race situation....

Least people forget, the probability of Norrena getting hurt is not zero.... If Mason would be forced to face the St' Louis Blues he will get a man's game education-quickly. I don't think it's wise to take that chance....sorry, buts that's my opinion.
Even if Mason did end up playing a game or two. Why are you convinced that there is some kind of crisis. This guy has been dealing with pressure situations going back to his first year in London .He has handled numerous pressure situations quite well over the last two years. I can detail them if you wish.

PS: If you doubt that he has to handle pressure, you have no idea how much scrutiny these kids get when playing on the national team in Canada. How he handles pressure is the last thing you have to worry about. He plays a pretty good game too.

Old
01-07-2008, 10:18 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complaining Customer View Post
In 2001 Theodore went down with a concussion and the Habs were without any options in net (Hackett was out for 2 months with a shoulder injury) other than Mathieu Garon who was in the AHL at the time. Garon started 5 games, but got pulled in one of those in Edmonton and Michel Therrien sent the 18 y/o call-up (from Juniors) Olivier Michaud in net to play the third period (he was perfect and stopped all of the 14 shots from the Oilers).

Extreme situation, extreme measures. It's only temporary and Mason is 10x the goalie Michaud was. He'll do fine practicing with the team and riding the bench - and who knows, might play a period or two. No need to sign anybody right now (unless there is more to what is known about Leclaire), and no need to panic.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/...abs011031.html
+1

Well put. Good example.

Old
01-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Even if Mason did end up playing a game or two. Why are you convinced that there is some kind of crisis. This guy has been dealing with pressure situations going back to his first year in London .He has handled numerous pressure situations quite well over the last two years. I can detail them if you wish.

PS: If you doubt that he has to handle pressure, you have no idea how much scrutiny these kids get when playing on the national team in Canada. How he handles pressure is the last thing you have to worry about. He plays a pretty good game too.
You Canadians take everything to heart.....stop with the jr's and Canada stuff, that's my biggest concern about this subject. Mason is going to be good but think rational for a moment and not from the national heart....the kid should not be put in the position to be outclassed by men. If he does have to play his confidence could be ruined....

I could care less about his Canada tour of duty or what he has done playing with other youngsters..... I'm a pro hockey fan and pay dollars to watch and win pro hockey games.

Mason is not a national icon with me, he's a 19 year old kid who has potential and that's it... I hope he does well if he has to play in the next few days, I just don't want this kid ruined for my personal pro fan reasons...

Old
01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
You Canadians take everything to heart.....stop with the jr's and Canada stuff, that's my biggest concern about this subject. Mason is going to be good but think rational for a moment and not from the national heart....the kid should not be put in the position to be outclassed by men. If he does have to play his confidence could be ruined....

I could care less about his Canada tour of duty or what he has done playing with other youngsters..... I'm a pro hockey fan and pay dollars to watch and win pro hockey games.

Mason is not a national icon with me, he's a 19 year old kid who has potential and that's it... I hope he does well if he has to play in the next few days, I just don't want this kid ruined for my personal pro fan reasons...
I agree with just about everything you've said Robert. Remember though, Mason looked pretty good between the pipes for us in what little preseason time he had.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Mason was in net on Sept 21against buffalo He gets the win 4-1 scored on by Macarther has 4 goals and 1 asst in 13 games played with Buffalo this yr .

Mason was in net on Sept 27th against Carolina He lost 3-0 Scored on by .. Hamilton once and Stillman twice .. Hamilton is 8th on the team in pts with 16 as of today and Stillman is 2nd on the team in pts with 41

Its not like mason has not played against the big boys He did it twice in the preseason and Looked good doing it .. I think if something happens and he does have to play Mase will be just fine . Its not like he took the game he lost against Carolina and cried over it and Lost his confidence in himself , and you keep refering to him as a kid playing against men , well what about the other players his age in the NHL are they all a bunch of kids that shouldnt be playing

Mellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Casework

Quote:
Contract limit? If we are in such dire straights with contract limits that we can't sign an experienced goalie during a once in a lifetime playoff race we are in trouble.... One thing I like though, everyone is confident Leclaire has moved past his injury issues....I'd say we need him back pronto, and pray Norrena doesn't get hurt.
In the event Leclaire or Norrena were seriously hurt, we could place them on IR and then have an extra contract spot. Right now that is not necessary.

I think you're overreacting, because in reality Leclaire is more than likely all systems go on Friday.

Calling up Mason allows him to be around the team for a few days and get a taste of what's to come. More importantly, it allows Columbus to have a back up goaltender without signing another player to a contract. That's all there is to it.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
I knew about the age limit but since we don't have any CBJ prospects playing in our AHL affiliate at the moment, it stands to reason that we'd be able to assign him there.
Under-20 restriction in AHL applies only to CHL (Canadian Major junior players). It's a deal between CHL, AHL and NHL. Rule does not apply to Okposo, a former collegiate, player. The same way it didn't apply to Nicklas Bergfors, a player from Sweden, or wouldn't apply to Alexei Cherepanov if the Rangers wanted him to play there next year.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I agree with just about everything you've said Robert. Remember though, Mason looked pretty good between the pipes for us in what little preseason time he had.

Your right...., he looked damn good, but that was practice. Russell looked like a phenom in the preseason too but is yet to reach that level in the real world...

That said, go Jackets vs SL tommorrow, we need wins.....alot of wins. I want nothing short of the playoffs and will accept nothing less...

PS: HOF guys such as Hitchcock think the same way folks....

Old
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
I don't think Howson is intentionally doing this to reward Mason. It might be an unintended result of his action, but it seems to me that a series of unfortunate events (injury, bus crash, illness) have conspired to create the need for an emergency call-up. I've never heard of a team doing this before because both of their AHL goalies were hurt. Pretty rare for that to happen.

Also, I wouldn't worry about this affecting Mason's development long term. If he was kept up for a long time and didn't play, or if he was forced into being the No. 1 guy and carrying the load, there might be some cause for concern, but under circumstances, it will be an eye-opener for him and grist for the mill when he graduates to the pros next year.

Old
01-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Under-20 restriction in AHL applies only to CHL (Canadian Major junior players). It's a deal between CHL, AHL and NHL. Rule does not apply to Okposo, a former collegiate, player. The same way it didn't apply to Nicklas Bergfors, a player from Sweden, or wouldn't apply to Alexei Cherepanov if the Rangers wanted him to play there next year.

Thanks man....it's stuff like that many forget.... I knew there was an age 20 restriction for the AHL but had no idea it only applied the CHL players......

Trying not to stray to far off topic (I do get some CHL news), is the CHL promoting college grants/potential of late to compete with the NCAA, which can offer a degree to young hockey players....?

Old
01-08-2008, 12:09 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
I don't think Howson is intentionally doing this to reward Mason. It might be an unintended result of his action, but it seems to me that a series of unfortunate events (injury, bus crash, illness) have conspired to create the need for an emergency call-up. I've never heard of a team doing this before because both of their AHL goalies were hurt. Pretty rare for that to happen.

Also, I wouldn't worry about this affecting Mason's development long term. If he was kept up for a long time and didn't play, or if he was forced into being the No. 1 guy and carrying the load, there might be some cause for concern, but under circumstances, it will be an eye-opener for him and grist for the mill when he graduates to the pros next year.
Very good observation Scribe. Coming off this recent tourney, you never know, he might just benefit from being reminded he still has a lot of work ahead of him and shouldn't take the accolades too seriously.

That said, I wouldn't expect him to play any worse than Marc Denis has in our nets. He's already better than Labbe, Braithwaite, etc.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Hugg

Quote:
Contract limit? If we are in such dire straights with contract limits that we can't sign an experienced goalie during a once in a lifetime playoff race we are in trouble...
We're all in trouble if this is a once in a lifetime playoff race.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:22 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

seems kinda crazy to pull a kid out of the middle of a junior season.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:23 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
seems kinda crazy to pull a kid out of the middle of a junior season.
It seems kinda crazy all the other CBJ goalies can't play. Crazy times call for crazy action.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:47 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Quote:
Thanks man....it's stuff like that many forget.... I knew there was an age 20 restriction for the AHL but had no idea it only applied the CHL players......

Trying not to stray to far off topic (I do get some CHL news), is the CHL promoting college grants/potential of late to compete with the NCAA, which can offer a degree to young hockey players....?
For several years now -- at least 10, possibly more -- the CHL has been offering education packages for players. Basically, you have to maintain a certain academic standing while in school and playing major junior. For every year you do that, you get $5,000 (just an approximate number, but somewhere around there) in a scholarship money that you can use at a university. Some teams also top it up, such as Pascal Leclaire's former team, the Halifax Mooseheads. They take the proceeds of the 50/50 from each game and put it towards supplementary scholarships for the players.

Now, the CHL plan has the stipulation that if a player signs a pro contract, they forfeit the money. Leclaire, Shelley and even Aaron Johnson earned scholarship money that they no longer have access to and it makes more available for guys who don't make it to the pros.

What it effectively does is keep some kids in Canada chasing the NHL dream. It's tough to go to school when you play 70 games a year and travel as much as some of them do, but many still do it. If they haven't latched on with an NHL team by the time they finish junior, they go to university. Canadian university leagues are full of ex-major junior guys that didn't make it in the pros. They're all older for the most part and can play for five years. 21-26 is the range of players we get up here, rather than the 18-22 you see in the States.

Other than the age, the biggest difference would be the talent level. There is definitely some skill, but the cream has been skimmed off. Either the players have great hands and can't skate, or are great skaters with no hands, or they're just too small. It's a good brand of hockey, but not scouted very much. In a few isolated cases, it allows players a couple extra years of development time and every now and then you'll get a late bloomer who plays a year or two of university and moves on to the pros.

Jody Shelley did this, Mike Ridley (former Washington Capital) played Canadian university, as did Todd Rucchin, but former Canadian university players in the NHL are rare birds, indeed. As you know, many Canadian kids opt for scholarships from U.S. schools so they can play and study at the same time. I don't think you'll ever see Canadian schools doing the same thing that U.S. schools do. They couldn't compete with major junior for the players. The development path is deeply entrenched in our hockey mindset up here.

Old
01-08-2008, 06:29 AM
WrightOn

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/01...on_mason.shtml

This one spells it out for those who want to know the real deal.

Or you could cling to some phantom issue, and be ignorant. Your choice.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:13 AM
Macster

Puck rakers basically repeated everything I said.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Aging Goalie

All I have to say is WOW. Myself and another poster make some fun posts that evidently get taken as legit and poof the entire thread goes off the deep end.

Also thanks to everybody who realized what Cy and myself were posting and had a good chuckle with it and also to those who were able to pick out the legit questions that came up from the joking and helped with the answers

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:56 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Puck rakers basically repeated everything I said.
Thanks for that-- as always.

When he mentioned calling up Goehring, I knew there was a goof-up, and thats why I asked. Once that is understood, one can see that this is THE option.

It'll be a CBJ pre-orientation for Mason more than anything, and then back to Kitchener.

Wow, 4 uniforms in a span of a couple weeks for this kid!

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote