HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

And the newest Ottawa Senator is....

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Hossa

vCash: 500
And the newest Ottawa Senator is....

....Charlie Stephens.

At least for now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/main.asp?hubName=nhl-sens

I'm busting personally. Stephens is a pretty good prospect, and was an AHL all-star as a rookie last year. He's got size, speed and skill, and Bonvie is absolutely worthless.

Old
01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
[ GSGS ]

Exactly, it's not like Bonvie has a shot at the NHL. Stephens could turn out to be something, but the cahnces are still slim. But it's better to have him than Bonvie IMO.

Old
01-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Sakic19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa
....Charlie Stephens.

At least for now.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/main.asp?hubName=nhl-sens

I'm busting personally. Stephens is a pretty good prospect, and was an AHL all-star as a rookie last year. He's got size, speed and skill, and Bonvie is absolutely worthless.
I'm not sure Charlie was panning out to be the prospect they thought he was. He was even demoted from the AHL for lackluster play this year. So, as an Avs fan, I'm not that broken up by this although I'm sure he could have been used to get something better in a package deal at the deadline.

Old
01-23-2004, 04:57 PM
kidchrome

Anybody know what year we are supposed to get Bonrda in????

Old
01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Foppa

Good trade for you guys even if Charlie doesn't pan out because at least you get a 'chance' at potential. Seems like the Avs did this simply to get a fan-favorite instigator to entertain Hershey.

Stephens' career has been a roller coaster. From potential lottery pick wonderkid to a totally failed prospect in the Washington system, to a nice AHL power forward who had an NHL Cup of tea last year to a guy whose been demoted down all the way to the UHL this year.

Anyways, you only gave up a 30 year-old minor league enforcer so while I wouldn't be getting your Stephens Sens jersey customized anytime soon, this deal has no real downside for the Sens.

Old
01-23-2004, 07:33 PM
sensfan18

I'm really surprised Muck was able to get a healthy body for Bonvie, yet alone a healthy 22 year old. Bonvie has next to no value and the sens had to move him and that was known, good job Muck.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:57 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Stephens scored a goal in his Binghamton debut. It was an empty netter.

The book on Stephens seems to be that he is a headcase, and is lacking motivation. I'd have to say there's no better coach to help him overcome that than John Paddock. With our prospect corps the weakest they've been in several years, I think it's a great move to add a project like Stephens, it may just pan out.

Old
01-25-2004, 01:12 PM
Iced

Stephens played a solid game last night. He skated hard, forechecked well and was immovable in front of the net. Even though his only goal was a empty netter, he had plenty of chances and it took good plays on the part of Rochester to keep him from cashing in. So, for at least for one game, he looks like a very good pick up for the Sens.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Love the move. For all his up's and down's, Stephens is really loaded with potential. Even if he sits in Bingo for a year or two, Paddock is the kind of guy who could really turn him around - maybe sooner rather than later.

Bonvie had to go after blatantly breaking team rules. To get a player of Stephens' age and talents back in return - even if he is a head case - is a major coup IMO.

Old
01-26-2004, 06:54 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e)
Love the move. For all his up's and down's, Stephens is really loaded with potential. Even if he sits in Bingo for a year or two, Paddock is the kind of guy who could really turn him around - maybe sooner rather than later.

Bonvie had to go after blatantly breaking team rules. To get a player of Stephens' age and talents back in return - even if he is a head case - is a major coup IMO.
I guess I'm out of the loop

What did ol' Bam-Bam Bonvie do?

Old
01-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I guess I'm out of the loop

What did ol' Bam-Bam Bonvie do?
Went home for Christmas.

Other Dave

Old
01-27-2004, 06:34 PM
hamilton

I remember watching Stephens with the St. Mike's Majors when the team had just returned to the OHL and Charlie was their top midget pick, #1 over-all.

I don't think he was able to handle the pressure of being the top pick on a team that really didn't have any vetern leadership on the ice to help groom him and had a front-office that was a real amateur show (Dennis Mills owned the team and couldn't resist meddling)

I have a soft spot for the guy. He could be a really valuable two-way player in time. I hope that the Sens hang onto him.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:56 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
2G and 1A tonight for Stephens. He now has 3G, 2A (5PTs) in 3 games with the baby Sens.

Laich also scored, he has 5 Goals in the past 3 games and has been on fire since returning from being out with mono.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Iced

I was at the game last night in Albany. It was one of the better, all around efforts by the B-Sens recently. The boys have now won 3 in a row (longest since they started the season off 5-0). I also made the drive to Albany last Friday and watched an uninspired team get shut out 3-0 by the same Rats team at Pepsi Arena. Last night's game had a little of everything; great passing, play set up, hitting, great goaltending, scoring and most of all, team play. This is a copy of a post that I made on a Binghamton hockey board about last night's game:
================================================== ===========
-----Just getting around to read things over this morning. Got back to Norwich about midnight (after a quick drive thru at Wendy's in Oneonta) and went right to bed, I was wiped out. I think the guys above pretty much summed up what the atmosphere was like at the Pepsi Can. While I'll say that there's no way 3402 in the building, I do think it was a little better than last week when they announced 3057. (the end that the Rats shoot at twice was much more full than last, other than that, about the same. Actual bodies in seats, I'd guess around 2200).

I kept moving around, 1st & 3rd periods in 128, 2nd in 115...stayed behind the nets. Stephens first goal (2nd in the first) was great to watch, he sandwiched between two guys and became airborne, poked in the puck and flew into the net. Even Paddock pumped his fist two or three times on that one. The passing was much better than I've seen it recently. They'd bring it into the zone and acted as if they knew exactly what they wanted to do; impressive.

As for the Skrlac/McGrattan scrap early in the first, it wasn't much. Skrlac should have gotten extra for being a a**hole. As soon as he hit the ice, the crowd started to get noisy and one guy behind me yelled..."hay Skrlac, make short work of that ***** McRotten". Right off the face off, Skrlac kept trying to egg on Brian and to his credit, Brian kept trying to skate past him to get into the play. Skrlac kept acting like the schoolyard bully fleecing kids out of their lunch money. Finally, Skrlac grabbed Brian and threw the first punch...McGrattan dropped his gloves and started in, more as self defense, than anything else. Skrlac pretty much made short work of Brian, but then again, that was his intent.

As for the last 5:39, all I could think of was"....Philadelphia, oh no, here we go again; I'm not going to get out of here till 10pm..." As for Emery being the 3rd man in, that's right, no way....Hulbig's mugging of Platil was BS. Jan had his back to him and all at once, Hulbig jumped on his back and started pounding away, first at Jan's head and then once on the ice, his lower body. It's funny that they called Ray for leaving the crease...as the altercation took place about 3 inches in front of Emery in the crease; all he had to do was step forward. And, I will say this...man, Ray must have hurt that Hulbig guy, he was just railing on him.

Overall, interesting night. A much more enjoyable trip there than the last 2 that I've made there. The Sens looked much more like a team that is a team and not just a bunch of guys trying to make their own stats look good.-----

Old
02-12-2004, 11:29 PM
qwert

Good trade charile stephens for bonvie..

Good trade for stephens, he has 13 points in 8 games in the ahl since aquiered. A great player

Old
02-13-2004, 12:34 AM
TJF

Send a message via MSN to TJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton
I remember watching Stephens with the St. Mike's Majors when the team had just returned to the OHL and Charlie was their top midget pick, #1 over-all.

I don't think he was able to handle the pressure of being the top pick on a team that really didn't have any vetern leadership on the ice to help groom him and had a front-office that was a real amateur show (Dennis Mills owned the team and couldn't resist meddling)

I have a soft spot for the guy. He could be a really valuable two-way player in time. I hope that the Sens hang onto him.

I completly agree, St.Mike's wasn't the best of situations to get into as a 16 year old. There was simply to much pressure put on him way to early, hell he was even given a part in a national commercial wearing his St.Mike's jersey. You all remember the Esquire watch commercials where people who say their name followed by esquire. Charlie was in one of those as a 16 year old where he skates up to the camera and says Charlie Stephens, Esquire. That quickly became his nickname around OHL rinks. Despite all the failed expectations Charlie was still a 2nd pick by Washington on his draft year but failed to sign with them and was later re-entered the draft. He really turned his career around though during his last two years in the OHL, his second last season with the Guelph Storm he scored nearly 40 goals than for his last season of junior he was traded to his hometown team and really took off. Stephens was always a big boy who wouldn't really use his size but the day he arrived in London he became of physical player, Dale Hunter was his coach so he must have taught him a thing or two and had a tremendous playoffs one year where he led London to an upset victory the top team in the OHL.

Stephens become the player that many people thought he would as a 16 year old but I still think he could become a solid 3rd line forward at the NHL level, this trade has just got him going again. I guess all he needed was a change of scenery.

Closed Thread