HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Double Gordie Howe hattrick ?

Old
01-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Veela

vCash: 500
Double Gordie Howe hattrick ?

Did anybody in the history of NHL scored two goals, collected two assists and was involved in two fights in one game ?

Or even Triple GH hattrick.... ?

Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
I dont think triple is possible. I think you'd be ejected after the 2nd one... I'm not sure though.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
ziggo66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
I dont think triple is possible. I think you'd be ejected after the 2nd one... I'm not sure though.
No, you're not.

But a double gordie would be something.

ziggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:21 PM
FutureConsiderations

You'd have to be incredibly stupid to be good enough to put up two goals, two assists, and then sit in the box for ten minutes.

Sean Avery sounds like the type of guy to pull it off.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:25 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
You'd have to be incredibly stupid to be good enough to put up two goals, two assists, and then sit in the box for ten minutes.

Sean Avery sounds like the type of guy to pull it off.
I'll take that type of guy.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:46 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
I'll take that type of guy.
On that night? Sure.

But if he's good enough to be putting up 2G and 2A, and he STILL drops the gloves, that's a player who is just way too aggressive.

You're from MA. If Chara threw down twice in a game against a guy like Boogaard or Orr, you realize that's ten minutes of that game you're playing without your top defenseman while the other team has a guy in the box who doesn't even deserve ten minutes of ice time a game.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:19 PM
norrisnick

In the Bertuzzi/Moore game Brad May had 2 goals and 3 fights. I was hoping for the double trick.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
dre2112

Maurice Richard probably had one. He was always a target, scored a ton and stood up for himself.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
On that night? Sure.

But if he's good enough to be putting up 2G and 2A, and he STILL drops the gloves, that's a player who is just way too aggressive.

You're from MA. If Chara threw down twice in a game against a guy like Boogaard or Orr, you realize that's ten minutes of that game you're playing without your top defenseman while the other team has a guy in the box who doesn't even deserve ten minutes of ice time a game.
A 2G 2A 2 fight guy sounds like Tocchet or Neely or 77-79 O'Reilly or Gillies or Orr (Bobby) for that matter. I'll take any of them any time.

Old
01-08-2008, 02:26 AM
FissionFire

Wonder if Bob Probert ever did it. He certainly could have during that one crazy season he had.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:15 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Chris Simon the season he had 29 goals, 49 points and 146 PIM. He's likely to have done it.

Or Dale Hunter, who had several seasons of 25+ goal, 70+ point, 200+ PIM. Very likely.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 06:41 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

I thought about Probert and Hunter and probably quite a few more that were capable.

Old
01-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Chris Nilan is another likely candidate, with 20-goal seasons

one year he fought close to 40 times and scored 20 goals... here's his fight card from that year, lots of 2-fight games there.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Fig...=1&Player=3347

he scored 21 goals and 16 assists that year, and spent 358 in the box... way to go Knuckles

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 08:42 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Maurice Richard probably had one. He was always a target, scored a ton and stood up for himself.
Im sure Messier might have had more than a fight in a game.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Slapshooter

Rick Tocchet is my bet.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
ck26
#freeRabbit

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Maurice Richard probably had one.
Quote:
A 2G 2A 2 fight guy sounds like Tocchet or Neely or 77-79 O'Reilly or Gillies or Bobby Orr for that matter. I'll take any of them any time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Bob Probert certainly could have during that one crazy season he had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Chris Simon the season he had 29 goals, 49 points and 146 PIM. He's likely to have done it.

Or Dale Hunter, who had several seasons of 25+ goal, 70+ point, 200+ PIM. Very likely.
Quote:
I thought about Probert and Hunter and probably quite a few more that were capable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris La Tigre View Post
Chris Nilan is another likely candidate, with 20-goal seasons

one year he fought close to 40 times and scored 20 goals... here's his fight card from that year, lots of 2-fight games there.

he scored 21 goals and 16 assists that year, and spent 358 in the box... way to go Knuckles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Im sure Messier might have had more than a fight in a game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
Rick Tocchet is my bet.
You're all talking like this is easy.

Sidney Crosby has ZERO 2 goal, 2 assist games in his career. Dany Heatley has one. Jason Spezza has two. Joe Thornton has three. Ovechkin has one.

Scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in the same game is really, really hard. Generational talents do it less than once a season ... suggesting that Chris Nilan and Rick Tocchet and Chris Simon are "likely" to have done that PLUS win two fights in the same game ... wow ... I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but I'd bet it's happened no more than once in NHL history.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 04:04 PM
Slapshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
... suggesting that Chris Nilan and Rick Tocchet and Chris Simon are "likely" to have done that
I agree that 2+2 is a feat in itself, but you make it sound that Rick Tocchet was just another Nilan or Simon. Yes, Tocchet fought more than many actual goons/enforcers, but same time he had five PPG+ seasons and one 100+ pts season. He was a constant scorer in his prime, not just a fighter.

I'm not saying he did it, but if someone did, my bet is Tocchet. Cam Neely is another good candidate.

Old
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
27roenick97

maybe lindros did it? i google'd double GH hat trick and nothing came up...

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Slapshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
maybe lindros did it? i google'd double GH hat trick and nothing came up...
He definitely could, but as with Messier, he was not that active fighter. They were more likely to get 2G+2A than Tocchet or Neely, of course.

Old
01-09-2008, 12:05 AM
J-D

WHere's pnep when you need him...

J-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:22 AM
FissionFire

Quote:

Sidney Crosby has ZERO 2 goal, 2 assist games in his career. Dany Heatley has one. Jason Spezza has two. Joe Thornton has three. Ovechkin has one.

Scoring 2 goals and 2 assists in the same game is really, really hard. Generational talents do it less than once a season ... suggesting that Chris Nilan and Rick Tocchet and Chris Simon are "likely" to have done that PLUS win two fights in the same game ... wow ... I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, but I'd bet it's happened no more than once in NHL history.
Not at all, it's not easy at all. My point with Probert was for that one insane season he was on a line with Yzerman, who was also ridiculous. It's certainly plausible that Probie could have gotten a 2+2+2 night in there. Plausible but very unlikely.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 07:44 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Bet it has,then again I don't bet.

Old
01-09-2008, 08:10 AM
ck26
#freeRabbit

vCash: 133
Quote:
Bet it has,then again I don't bet.
I have access to a game-by-game statistical breakout for still-active players as far back as '99-'00. What I've read in the last 15 mins doesn't inspire confidence. No way a skilled player gets two fights in a game, so I'm looking at veteran power forwards / enforcers who have been mentioned in this thread.

Chris Simon put up 2G 1A in a game in '04, but wasn't penalized. He had back-to-back 2A games in '02 with 1 minor in 1 of the games.

Jarome Iginla had 2G 2A and a minor back in December. He did it three times (WOW!) last season but wasn't penalized in any of those games. He did it in '02 but wasn't penalized then either (hmm ... what does this say about Iginla?)

SUCCESS!!! In an '04 game against Edmonton, Bill Guerin got two goals, two assists and two ... minors.

In the Bertuzzi/Moore game mentioned earlier, Brad May got 2 goals and 47 PIM's. In the words of President Hoover, " ...damn." Other than that, he doesn't have any 2 points+a fight games.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I have access to a game-by-game statistical breakout for still-active players as far back as '99-'00. What I've read in the last 15 mins doesn't inspire confidence. No way a skilled player gets two fights in a game, so I'm looking at veteran power forwards / enforcers who have been mentioned in this thread.

Chris Simon put up 2G 1A in a game in '04, but wasn't penalized. He had back-to-back 2A games in '02 with 1 minor in 1 of the games.

Jarome Iginla had 2G 2A and a minor back in December. He did it three times (WOW!) last season but wasn't penalized in any of those games. He did it in '02 but wasn't penalized then either (hmm ... what does this say about Iginla?)

SUCCESS!!! In an '04 game against Edmonton, Bill Guerin got two goals, two assists and two ... minors.

In the Bertuzzi/Moore game mentioned earlier, Brad May got 2 goals and 47 PIM's. In the words of President Hoover, " ...damn." Other than that, he doesn't have any 2 points+a fight games.
Appreciate your effort but Howe,Orr,O'Reilly,Neely,Tocchet played in the 50's,60's,70's,80's and 90's. If I was gonna do this I'd start with games these players had 2 fights (only twice for Orr) on dropyourgloves.com and then see if I could boxscore that game. You might be right,maybe this is the 100 goal stat.

Old
01-09-2008, 08:51 AM
bcrt2000

I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Probert did it in 87-88 or 91-92

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote