HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Broadway Bound!!

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 04:20 PM
Stajan Fan

vCash: 500
Jagr Broadway Bound!!

TSN has learned that the Washington Capitals have worked out a deal to trade All-Star forward Jaromir Jagr to the New York Rangers in exchange for forward Anson Carter, pending league approval by a trade call.

TSN has also learned the Capitals are picking up approximately $20 million of the remaining $44 million on the contract after this season. Sources have told TSN Jagr has agreed to defer $1 million a year for the balance of the contract. That money is deferred with interest and guaranteed.

Before the restructuring of his contract, Jagr was scheduled to earn $11 million a year in each of the next four seasons beyond this one. There is a club option for a fifth year, also at $11 million, but there ways the fifth year could become guaranteed to Jagr in the event of the following:

If he scores 40 goals or 90 points and his team wins the first round of the playoffs in the final year of the contract.

if he scores 80 goals or 180 points in the final two years of the contract and his team wins two rounds of the playoffs.

if he wins a major award in the final three seasons of the deal or his team wins two Stanley Cups in that time.

The deal between the Caps and Rangers was effectively agreed to yesterday, sources said, but the re-structuring of the contract had to be negotiated this morning between the Rangers and Jagr's agent.

Now Jagr will make $10 million a year for the balance of the contract with $1 million per year deferred with interest. Of that $10 million per year, the Caps are picking up about half for the four year period.

When the Capitals and the Rangers broached the subject in late November, Washington was believed to be willing to assume about $20 million of Jagr's contract.

A six-time first team All-Star, Jagr, 31, is second on the Capitals in scoring this season with 16 goals and 29 assists for 45 points in 45 games.

Carter, who led Canada to a gold medal at the IIHF World Hockey Championship last spring, returns to the team where he made his NHL debut. Carter played 19 games with the Capitals in 1996-97 after being traded from the Colorado Avalanche.

In eight NHL seasons with the Rangers, Capitals, Edmonton Oilers and Boston Bruins, the 29-year old has 153 goals and 174 assists. He has 10 goals and seven assists in 45 games with the Rangers this season.

Jagr has not provided the payoff expected when the Capitals made him the highest paid player in the league. The team failed the reach the playoffs in his first season and was eliminated in the first round by Tampa Bay last year. Attendance has sagged for a franchise that was already losing some $20 million per year.

Jagr has fought sporadic slumps and injuries to average about one point per game with the Capitals, but those numbers are well down from his superstar years with the Penguins.

More to follow.

Could Washington be the team moving to Winnipeg. I think so. Why would they not get anything else except if they are trying to get Ovechin.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Well at least we won't hear the Jagr to NYR rumors any more.
To be honest I really don't know what is wrong with the Rangers. All that talent
and nothing to show for it if you ask me the team needs a total overhaul and be rebuilt from the insides out.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:47 PM
McFly

And the Rangers will still miss the playoffs. A collection of misfits with no direction, no defense and no desire.

Old
01-23-2004, 05:56 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

so what have they got.

simon lindros jagr
rucinsky holik kovalev
hlavac nedved barnaby
rheaume messier ortmeyer

leetch poti
malakhov mironov
purinton bouchard

dunham
markannen

they'll give up a lot of goals, score a few more and still hover around the .500 mark

Old
01-23-2004, 06:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly_GoLeafsGo
And the Rangers will still miss the playoffs. A collection of misfits with no direction, no defense and no desire.
Boy but if they did make the Playoffs...would you want to play them???

Old
01-23-2004, 06:11 PM
Transplanted Caper

Well I hope they dont make the playoffs, I cant stand the Rangers. But at least there wont be any more Jagr to New York stuff

Old
01-23-2004, 06:16 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Jagr may have underachieved these past two years but there is no more talented offensive player in the game. I would be happy to see him in blue and white but if he must stay in the East, let it be in NY where he will be another super addition to an unsuper .500, 9th place Ranger team.

I hate to see Bondra in Ottawa.

Old
01-23-2004, 09:14 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

the rangers will still suck

Old
01-23-2004, 09:20 PM
GoM

*goes to NHL forum*
*goes to trade rumors forum*
*goes to likely every individual team forum*
*goes to poor-man-on-the-corner's forum*

OH MY GOD I SO DIDN'T KNOW!

:p

Old
01-23-2004, 09:40 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
OH MY GOD I SO DIDN'T KNOW!

:p
Neither have I, see, I have been living in a cave with my eyes shut, and my fingers in my ears

/sarcasm off

Old
01-23-2004, 09:42 PM
Mike1

Jagr hasn't been the same since he left the Penguins. I don't think that going to the Rangers is going to get Jagr more motivated to play hockey but Jagr wanted to go to New York so you never know....

Old
01-23-2004, 09:44 PM
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Neither have I, see, I have been living in a cave with my eyes shut, and my fingers in my ears
You forgot about your partner-in-crime

Old
01-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Rand

Well they get the most offensively talented player in the game when he cares to be (Minus Super Mario)... he's yet another Ranger that doesn't always give 100% though.

Jagr is a nightmare defensively as is his norm, which is only going to make an already weak defence work all that much harder.

Personally I'm no more worried about the NYR then I was a week ago.

I do pity their fans though., as it seems Sather is back to his old buy talented player one can habits.

I suspect most of the Rangers fans would give anything to see a few less talented players that actually worked hard every night, and perhaps a little line/team chemistry that usually seems missing between their many underperforming-overpaid stars.

01-24-2004, 10:16 AM
Epoch

They'll still suck, even if they have Jagr.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:21 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
All im going to to do is laugh,

Closed Thread