HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Individual player comparisons - now and yesterday

Old
01-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Joe Pelletier

vCash: 500
Individual player comparisons - now and yesterday

I'm wondering which current (or at least recent) NHL stars compare favorably to past NHL stars. I'm thinking along the lines of playing style and stature. It's a potentially interesting exercise to educate newer fans of retired players.

Two easy comparisons spring to my mind immediately - Vincent Lecavalier and Jean Beliveau, and Niklas Lidstrom and Raymond Bourque.

Who else do you think makes for a nice comparison?

Joe Pelletier
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:45 PM
pitseleh

Here are some thoughts - though I never saw most of them play, these are based on the impressions I've gotten through reading about players. A lot of these comparisons are somewhat superficial and don't really reflect their relative abilities:

Martin St. Louis (Yvon Cournoyer) - Both speedsters, despite their diminutive statures, are strongly built and hard to knock off the puck.

Pavel Datsyuk (Denis Savard) - Combination of dazzling stickhandling and great speed.

Andrew Brunette (Babe Dye) - Don't seem to anything well but just continue to put up points.

Marc Savard (Bill Cowley) - Consistent, cerebral playmakers who are somewhat underrated, they manage to produce with a multitude of linemates.

Shane Doan (Bert Olmstead) - Though Doan is more of a goal scorer and Olmstead a playmaker, both are tough, do-what-it-takes type players and good leaders.

Jarome Iginla (Charlie Conacher) - Big strong power forward types who rely on their size and good shot to score a ton of goals.

I'll add some more later.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:48 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier View Post
I'm wondering which current (or at least recent) NHL stars compare favorably to past NHL stars. I'm thinking along the lines of playing style and stature. It's a potentially interesting exercise to educate newer fans of retired players.

Two easy comparisons spring to my mind immediately - Vincent Lecavalier and Jean Beliveau, and Niklas Lidstrom and Raymond Bourque.

Who else do you think makes for a nice comparison?

Joe Pelletier
I come up with this very fast, there might be better choices...

Dion Phaneuf --- Denis Potvin
Marian Hossa --- Michel Goulet
Joe Thornton --- Bernie Federko
Marc Savard --- Mike Rogers

(work in progress from this point)

Martin St-Louis --- Yvan Cournoyer. The most obvious one that I should have thought about before.

Sidney Crosby --- Peter Stastny. Both were good skaters (not top skaters), both were extremely agile, and both are a bit "meaner" than everybody gives them the credit for. Oh... they weren't bad playmakers, either. Both players do not necessarily play with the best players of their team.

Daymond Langkow --- Jacques Lemaire. Do the support job from center when you play with guys more talented than you are.

Chris Drury --- Dave Keon. Two-Way play, faceoffs, PKing. I noticed Drury having a rather good backhand as well. Not Keon, but good nonetheless.

Jere Lehtinen --- Claude Provost. Good enough for an offensive role, but stellar 2-way play is ultimately their legacy.

Claude Lemieux (I know he's retired...) --- Leo Labine. NHL rulebook is nothing more than a list of bad habits to be (sometimes) avoided. Cannot think of any guy in the past who had such habits AND success in the playoffs, all the while being not a top-notch offensive contributor (both were RW, though).

Steve Downie --- Dale Hunter. Both can be relied upon to do something stupid. And both wilil have played with good players in the end, thus boosting their career stats.
Martin Gelinas --- Mud Bruneteau. Both will more be remembered for their playoffs clutch scoring than for anything else.

Jose Theodore --- Pete Peeters. One abso-freaking-lutely awesome year (Peeters 82-83 would have given him the Hart in any league without Gretzky... IMO, that season ranks among Top-10 all-time), 2 good ones, a few okay ones as a backup, and inconsistent career. Both had discutable behavior off the ice.

Alex Kovalev --- Frank Mahovlich. Big mans, much more agile than guys their size should be, crippled by consistency problems. Both looked "slow" due to effortless stride. This said, I should find a better comparison as Kovy is a reasonably good playoff performer, while Mahovlich was hit-or-miss. More often miss than hit, actually.

Derian Hatcher --- Ching Johnson. Heaps of PIMs, slowfooted. Double-tough on the blueline.

Mike Komisarek --- Bucko McDonald. Old school D. Hits, block shots, not very high offensive upside. Impressive size. (Bucko wasn't very tall, but built like a tank).

"Does anybody have a clue about a modern player, +- 2nd/3rd line, big man with a knack for screening goalies and scoring goals with every part of his anatomy?" --- Yvon Lambert

Sean Avery --- Doug Risebrough. Hyper-pest, high PIMs, actually pretty decent 2-way player. Extremely scrappy.

Rick DiPietro --- Gilles Meloche. One will take the place of the other as the losingest goaltender in NHL history, all the while being a pretty decent netminder.

Martin Gerber --- Bob Froese. Pretty decent backup, one great year, crap the bed in playoffs, becomes once again a backup. (even though Gerber is a starter now)

Last edited by MXD: 01-07-2008 at 09:42 PM.
MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:58 PM
seventieslord

Both of your comparisons are good... althouth Lecavalier would have to play at this year's level for 3-4 more years to be like a Beliveau. How about these?

Adam Oates and Jean Ratelle?

Sidney Crosby and Doug Gilmour?

Jarome Iginla and Cam Neely?

Jaromir Jagr and Guy Lafleur?

Scott Niedermayer and Paul Coffey?

Mats Sundin and Darryl Sittler?

Dion Phaneuf and Scott Stevens?

Marian Hossa and Jari Kurri?

Rod BrindAmour and Bill barber?

Rob Blake and Randy Carlyle?

Aki Berg and Bobby Orr?

Marc Savard and Bernie Federko? (or am I selling Federko short here? Maybe Weight and Federko?)

Doug Gilmour and Stan Mikita?

Sergei Gonchar and Reed Larson?

Zdeno Chara and Larry Robinson?

Brendan Shanahan and Ted Lindsay?

Glen Wesley and Harry Howell?

Martin Havlat and Pele?

Teppo Numminen and Ron Greschner?

Chris Chelios and Eddie Shore?

Tomas Kaberle and Borje Salming?

Bryan McCabe and Kevin Hatcher?

Todd Bertuzzi and Clark Gillies?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:53 PM
pitseleh

Crosby reminds me somewhat of Forsberg in style (maybe it's just their skating stride?). Potvin is a good choice for Phaneuf, though Larry Robinson could work as well. As for Yvon Lambert MXD, maybe Tomas Holmstrom (at least the deflection part)?

Willie Mitchell (Jacques Laperriere minus the offense) - Laperriere used his long reach and positioning to neutralize the opposition (I remember reading/hearing someone say he was like an octopus). I get that same feeling when I watch Mitchell play.

Sergei Fedorov (Syl Apps Sr.) - Graceful, fast skater, great stick handler, and strong defensively.

Adam Foote (Ching Johnson) - Provide absolutely no offense but are still invaluable for their toughness and defensive play.

Jay McKee (Bob Goldham) - Warriors who are best known for being great shotblockers.

Dominik Hasek (Clint Benedict) - Both carved a niche by being extremely unconventional. Both were able to be stellar goaltenders because of their unconventional style.

Olli Jokinen (Marty Barry) - Big strong offensive centers who don't seem to get enough love.

Last edited by pitseleh: 01-07-2008 at 10:10 PM.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I sort of compare Martin St.Louis to Mats Naslund..small, speedy forwards that can score goals..

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Wrigley
Muddy Waters

I would love to read long posts from everyone who posted here in that thread > http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=462838

Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Joe Pelletier

Wow. You guys have some great thoughts here.

A few responses -

St. Louis - Cournoyer: Pretty much bang on there

Datsyuk - D. Savard: I know what you're saying, but Denis did everything a top speed. Datsyuk has an elusiveness about him that suggests he still has another gear he can use. I always liked the Max Bentley - Denis Savard comparison.

C. Drury - Keon: Not bad, but a bit of a stretch.

Downie - Dale Hunter: Nice one! Dirty, mean players, hopefully Downie can realize just how good of a player he can be though, much like Hunter did once upon a time.

Theodore - Peeters: Now that's an interesting one. I think Peeters would be the better of the two though. He remained a starter longer, and did have a couple of other pretty strong years on his resume.

Gerber - Froese: I like that one. A lot.

Aki Berg - Bobby Orr: Ha ha!! I did catch that one!

Gonchar - Larson: I like that one a lot.

Fedorov - Apps
Foote - C. Johnson
McCabe - K Hatcher
Chara - L. Robinson
All very strong comparisons.

Guys, do you mind if I use some of these comparisons for a piece for my website? All comparisons will be credited and the article will link directly to this thread. Let me know....

Joe Pelletier

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Al Bundy*

This thread somewhat reminds me of some lines from a commercial on the NHL Network:

"Watch Ovechkin fly like Bure."

"See Phaneuf smash like Stevens."

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Slapshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Sidney Crosby and Doug Gilmour?
That's a bit overrating of Gilmour. He was not a constant Art Ross contender at all. Hardly even a superstar outside of Toronto, except for a few seasons.

(OK, the whole list might been a joke, judging by some pairings.)

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 05:22 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Zdeno Chara and Larry Robinson?
You gotta be kidding me. Larry Robinson is what Zdeno Chara would be if Chara could carry the puck like Sergei Zubov.

Suprised nobody has called Brett Hull the modern Bernie Geoffrion. Both were goal scorers first last and always. Big scorers, big shooters, HUGE egos, big personalities, loud-mouths, a little un-refined and rough around the edges ... both played for some great teams ... neither could skate worth a lick, they just always got themselves in the right places and always got the job done. Both were guys you'd want in a big, big game.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Chili

Vinnie Lecavalier & Jean Beliveau - not just because they both wear/wore the same number, they are both great goal scorers and class acts.

Tim Thomas & Gump Worsley - when I watch Thomas scrambling around to make saves, he looks like an original six netminder only with a mask. The Gumper didn't impress with his technique, just the results.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
papershoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Vinnie Lecavalier & Jean Beliveau - not just because they both wear/wore the same number, they are both great goal scorers and class acts.
couldn't agree more...
interestingly, lecavalier was also cast in the role of jean beliveau in the movie "the rocket"

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:24 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
You gotta be kidding me. Larry Robinson is what Zdeno Chara would be if Chara could carry the puck like Sergei Zubov.
I know that's a stretch. But no more than Lecavalier and Beliveau. Stature had a lot to do with it. Robinson and Chara are both tough, talented, mammoth defensemen in their league. Maybe Pronger would have been a better comparison.

I think Crosby and Gilmour is a bit of an overrating too. Assuming Crosby is what I think he is, there's no perfect comparison for him. If you could average out the skills and heart and grit of Gretzky and Gilmour, you'd have Crosby.

And to Joe, feel free to use any comparisons I have made.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Blue Dragon

Paul Stastny and Peter Stastny?

Blue Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
Paul Stastny and Peter Stastny?
Not yet. Let's see Paul get to be consistently a top 5 scorer like his father first

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier View Post

C. Drury - Keon: Not bad, but a bit of a stretch.
I really meant a poor-man's Dave Keon...
And yeah, no problem

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
That's a bit overrating of Gilmour. He was not a constant Art Ross contender at all. Hardly even a superstar outside of Toronto, except for a few seasons.

(OK, the whole list might been a joke, judging by some pairings.)
Stylistically Gilmour and Crosby are somewhat similar, being feisty creative centers who could carry their teams.

Of course, Crosby looks more like Forsberg.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
ryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Stylistically Gilmour and Crosby are somewhat similar, being feisty creative centers who could carry their teams.

Purely due to era. Crosby would out-point Gilmour by a large margin if they played during the same era.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote