HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help picking skates

Old
01-07-2008, 11:14 PM
GScott

vCash: 500
Need help picking skates

I started a skating class today and after 5 minutes my feet really hurt. I've always seemed to have this problem with the rental skates and after some reading here thought maybe I was getting a skate that was too big. I normally wear a size 8 to 8.5 shoe and usually selected this size skate. Today I tried a 7 and it fit much better. Problem was after 5 minutes the inside edge of my feet really hurt. It's right at the instep/arch and is makig it very difficult to learn. I've decided to just buy my own skates and skip the rentals all together hoping to get rid of the pain.

My question is was the pain I was getting just do to poor fitting skates or something else? I seem to have flatter than normal feet so considering this and the pain I was having is there a certain brand I should look at? I went to a local hockey store last week and was looking at the Bauer 50's and a pair of RBK's (7 something I think). I didn't have time to try either one one but plan to go back tonight to buy a pair tonight. Any suggestions?

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Dude, try them on.

It will save you HOURS of pain.

I spent 4 hours in the shop before I found the skates that I wanted...

01-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Canadian Chris

ya... I also spent about 4hrs trying skates on before finding the ones I wanted.

That being said, skates will hurt at first, rentals or not....just sort of the nature of the beast...but I'd definitely reccomend buying as opposed to renting skates

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Gino 14

Find a reputable pro shop and let them do what they are in the business to do, fit you with the right skates.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 06:17 AM
brymel

You have to try several of them on until you find the right fit.

brymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
stick9

It's been said many already, but it's worth repeating. Go and try them on. You'll never know how well or bad they will fit until you put them on your feet. Plan on spending some time there. Remember, if they hurt walking around the store, they will kill out on the ice.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 09:17 AM
GScott

Don't worry I plan to try them on. I didn't last time because the store was only open for another 30 minutes and I didn't want to be the guy that made them stay late. I was mainly just wanting to know what brands I should look at and any I should stay away from.

Old
01-08-2008, 09:23 AM
frito

Try on all brands, they all are zized and fit diffrently. For example, bauer tends to run fairly narrow while CCM tend to run wider. Both are sized about 1 1/2 - 2 sizes lower than your shoe size while Mission is sized right at your shoe size.

Happy shopping.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

I actually have a really low arch and some skates fit nicer than others. But im loving my eastons right now. The wide fit is very comfortable but the blades take some getting used too.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
LilWinger11

It sounds like maybe you have an unusually high or low arch. If that's the case, you may find that even after skating in your new skates for awhile you still have some arch pain. Give over-the-counter orthotics a try if that happens. I have insanely high arches but I've found a couple brands of orthotics that make all the difference in the world in my skates. There's also one called Superfeet that I've never tried but heard people talk about.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
bmxer

If you have a really flat, wide foot, get wide EE skate....

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 09:19 PM
GScott

I ended up with a Bauer Vapor XXV. It was the only one that didn't hurt. I also saved some $$ since I ended up with a size 5.5. I did need the EE skate as well. Thanks for all the suggestions/help.

Old
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Made Dan

I love the RBK pumps!

Made Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by d a n n y View Post
I love the RBK pumps!
So do I, the sole they come with has a big arch is really nice because I am flat footed and usually need to get custom ones. Plus with the pump I no longer need to wrap my laces around the top of the skate which ruins the shape of the boot. Also, I have narrow feet and the pumps are relatively narrow, up until then I could only wear Bauer skates (I had Supreme 3000s for like 6 years.).

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 12:20 AM
tiralie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
I ended up with a Bauer Vapor XXV. It was the only one that didn't hurt. I also saved some $$ since I ended up with a size 5.5. I did need the EE skate as well. Thanks for all the suggestions/help.
You may want to try (Superfeet) insole inserts for increased support if you find that boot still bothering you. In my opinion they are better than the inserts shipped with most skates in that they hold your foot more firmly increasing stability and corrects minor supination and pronation. The inserts don't seem to detriorate breakdown as quickly as the inserts included with new skates. Beware that these inserts can slightly increase the height of your foot in the skate so if you are getting your foot molded in the skate (i.e. One70-90's) you should have the feet inserts in the skate when you have them fitted.
You can also change blade holders (Tuuk, Easton, Tblades) for a different feel. For instance Jagger (NYRangers) has been wearing Bauer One90 skates (?) with Black Easton holders instead of the Tuuk holders that they are shipped with.
Good luck!

tiralie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
just try EVERYTHING you find in the store. and buy the pair you feel most comfortable in...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:23 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
That should work well for you. I have fairly wide feet and I've really liked both pairs of Vapors I've had.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:28 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
When it comes to buying skates you have to pretend you're a woman shopping and browse. Every pair and be picky. Hopefully, there will be 1 pair that really stands out, no pun intended, from the rest. Luckily for me that pair was the Easton Stealth's, didn't have to bake them, wear them straight out of the box and no problems.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote