HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
01-18-2008, 06:15 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

vCash: 500
ah memories... back in all-time draft #3 I drafted him to play on the third pairing of the Victoria Aristocrats in a 15-team main draft:

Quote:
The Victoria Aristocrats

coach: Pat Quinn
captain: Steve Yzerman
alternate captains: Mark Messier, Bobby Clarke

Brian Propp - Steve Yzerman - Dino Ciccarelli
Esa Tikkanen - Mark Messier - Claude Lemieux
Bob Gainey - Bobby Clarke - Jere Lehtinen
Jiri Holik - Guy Carbonneau - Terry O'Reilly

extra forward: "Tiger" Williams

Jan Suchy - Mike Ramsey
Randy Carlyle - Adam Foote
Frantisek Tikal - Craig Ludwig

extra d-man/skater: Josef Malecek

Bernie Parent
Vladimir Dzurilla
Rogie Vachon
He was one of five Czechs I drafted for that team as you see, as I'd been doing research on Czech hockey and felt them under-represented compared to the vaulted Soviets they were known to beat.

I can't believe that was in early 2005. Time flies!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:33 AM
papershoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
I let the Nelson Leafs go ahead and listpick left winger Anton Stastny.

I'll make a pick for my team shortly.
Thanks for making the pick for us VanIslander...

Anton Stastny,
A talented brother and a player who knew how to put the puck in the net (in both the NHL and Czech Elite League). He'll be a great wingman for Tommy Smith, and a nice presence on the Leafs powerplay.

Stats:
1978 World Junior Championship All-Star
1979 Czech Elite League All-Star
252 goals and 636 points in 650 career NHL games
20 goals and 52 points in 66 career playoff games
150 PIMs for his entire 650 game NHL career
Career +13
8 point game (3G, 5A) on February 22, 1981

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:14 AM
seventieslord

Dysart is proud to select two-time 50-goal scorer and two-time cup winner Stephane Richer.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=11376

Quote:
In 1987-88, all of his offensive tools came together. His excellent skating ability, his refusal to be intimidated, his size and strength and his cannon-like shot with the lightning quick release were all harmonized under one helmet. By season's end, he became the first Canadiens 50-goal scorer since Guy Lafleur's heyday.

Through it all, the success was undeniable. He performed valiantly as the Canadiens' lost to Calgary in the Stanley Cup finals of 1989. Then, the following year he put together another 50-goal campaign. In 1991, the Canadiens decided to go with Kirk Muller, using Richer as collateral to be sent to the Devils. In New Jersey, Richer continued to be a solid offensive performer over the five seasons that followed.

In 1995, he again made his return to the winner's circle as the Devils won their first-ever Stanley Cup. After one additional campaign, he was traded back to Montreal for a season and a half before being traded to the Tampa Bay Lighting in 1998.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 09:15 AM
seventieslord

New York has been PM'd, as indicated above.

Old
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
seventieslord

Hope no one is perturbed at me for the late pick... It was 1:45 AM my time when the last pick was made... we're gonna see things like that with six and four hour time limits. I'd have PM'd my pick, but still wasn't sure who it'd be.

Old
01-18-2008, 09:35 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Hope no one is perturbed at me for the late pick... It was 1:45 AM my time when the last pick was made... we're gonna see things like that with six and four hour time limits. I'd have PM'd my pick, but still wasn't sure who it'd be.
no prob, the 6-hour window of course will close overnight sometimes and you can make the pick up at your convenience: the clock continues

Old
01-18-2008, 12:10 PM
pitseleh

The New York Americans are proud to select LW Boris Mayorov.

(Some quotes stolen from Wisent)

Mayorov was the long-time captain of the Soviet National Team and was a key part of six world championships (leading one in scoring) and two Olympic golds. He was known as a tough player who liked to fight, complimenting his natural skill.

http://www.hhof.com/html/t6gp06.shtml
http://keskustelu.jatkoaika.com/printthread.php?t=12725

I PMed the next team after I picked.

Last edited by pitseleh: 01-18-2008 at 01:32 PM.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:46 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

With their Third Round Draft Pick, the Belleville Bulls are extremely proud to select right-winger Steve Thomas.

A hard-working, right-winger with good speed and a quick release, Steve Thomas entered the league in 1984-85, he became one the most consistent scorers in the game with nine 20-goal seasons to his credit.

Born in Stockport, England, Thomas starred in the MTHL with the Markham Waxers and in the OHL with the Toronto Marlboros. After scoring 51 goals for the Marlies in 1983-84, the talented sniper was signed as a free agent by the Toronto Maple Leafs. During his first pro season, he scored 42 goals for the St. Catharines Saints of the AHL and was placed on the league's First All-Star Team. He also won the Dudley "Red" Garrett Award as the top rookie in the AHL.

After starting the 1985-86 season in the AHL, Thomas was recalled to the Leafs and scored 57 points in 65 games. That spring, he scored 14 points in the post-season as Toronto came within a game of reaching the semi-finals. After scoring 35 goals and helping Toronto reach the second round of the playoffs in 1987, Thomas was sent to Chicago with Rick Vaive for Al Secord and Ed Olczyk.

Thomas battled injuries his first two years with the Hawks before scoring 40 goals in 1989-90. In October 1991, he joined the New York Islanders in a trade and helped the club upset the Pittsburgh Penguins while reaching the semi-finals in 1993. Thomas set a career high with 42 goals in 1993-94 but slipped to eleven goals during the lockout-shortened season. Prior to the 1995-96 season, he joined the New Jersey Devils where his lower goal totals reflected the defensive system employed by his new club.

In July 1998, the veteran winger was lured back to Toronto as a free agent. He scored 73 points under Pat Quinn's free flowing system and helped the Leafs reach the semi-finals. After a slow start in 1999-00, he rebounded to score 26 times, but he notched only eight goals in 57 games the next year. A strong post-season in 2001 was not enough to convince the Toronto brass to re-sign him, so Thomas relocated to Chicago for the 2001-02 season and the better part of 2002-03 season before the team traded him to the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in the latter stages of the season.

Upon his arrival with the Ducks, Thomas was a key contributor to the team's late season success and their drive to the Stanley Cup final. Although the Ducks lost in seven games to the New Jersey Devils, Thomas solidified himself as a valuable asset to the team.

After the Ducks opted not to re-sign the veteran forward, Anaheim's lost was the Detroit Red Wings gain, as the team signed Thomas as a free-agent in the early stages of the 2003-04 season. Thomas would compete in 44 games with the Red Wings in 2003-04 and following the NHL lockout he would try out for the Toronto Maple Leafs only to be cut before start of the season.

Steve Thomas (1235 Games, 421 Goals, 512 Assists, 933 Points, 1306 Penalty Minutes)

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 02:54 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

I PMed the next guy.

Old
01-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Spitfire11

A guy I wanted last time but got beaten to by pappy, Windsor takes tough 2-way D Doug Barkley

Was on his way to becoming a top defenseman in the league before an injury left him without sight in one eye.

Runner-up for the Calder by 0.2 votes.
Had 30 first place Norris votes in 65-66
Lead defensemen in goals in 63-64.

"Losing Doug Barkley was a real blow to the team," Gordie Howe said. "He was developing into an all-star defenseman."

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
God Bless Canada

Moose Jaw Millers are pleased to round out their first line with two players at the top of our list.

We believe that this player is the best centre available, especially with the "injury" to Art Chapman. He tied for the league lead in goals, and finished one point behind Bobby Hull for the 1960 Art Ross Trophy. The centre of the famed Uke Line: C Bronco Horvath

We believe this player is the best LW in the draft. With his speed, grit and defensive awareness, we gave him a long, hard look for our fourth line in the main draft. With his skill, we believe he's also good enough to be a first line winger in the minor league draft. He'd be a fixture in the main draft if his career wasn't ruined by a battle with MS. A two-time Stanley Cup champ and the assist leader in the 1968 playoffs: LW Dave Balon.

The trio of Balon-Bronco-Balfour (to be known as our Killer B's line) gives us an excellent blend of skill, savvy, speed, toughness and two-way play. It also means that we will have the luxury of being able to use this line in all situations.

Last edited by God Bless Canada: 01-18-2008 at 04:53 PM.
God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:49 PM
BM67

Steve Thomas has already been taken in the main draft.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:52 PM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
Steve Thomas has already been taken in the main draft.
Yup, search 'Steve "Stumpy" Thomas'.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 05:10 PM
papershoes

wow...
my next three options, all gone!
great picks with balon, mayorov, and horvath!

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

how is "Trihey" pronounced?

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Ok. Ill repick around 9-10 tonight. I have to see a movie tonight with my girlfriend so ill be back then.

Old
01-18-2008, 05:29 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

3rd round reflections:

players stolen from the Redmen long list: Mayorov, Denneny, Trihey
players who should've been on the list: Hyland
went pretty much as expected: Bodger, Stastny, Horvath
players perhaps drafted a bit early: Langevin
interesting picks: Barkley

Old
01-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Moose Jaw Millers are pleased to round out their first line with two players at the top of our list.

We believe that this player is the best centre available, especially with the "injury" to Art Chapman. He tied for the league lead in goals, and finished one point behind Bobby Hull for the 1960 Art Ross Trophy. The centre of the famed Uke Line: C Bronco Horvath
Horvath is not the kind of player i'd expect you to pick. I think of him as a one year wonder with absolutely no defensive conscience. Although defensive responsibilty isn't a must for a 1st liner.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 05:41 PM
Spitfire11

I'll get my current player pick out of the way

International hockey star, team Finland and Montreal captain, C Saku Koivu

Tied for scoring lead in 1998 and 2006 Olympics
Olympic All-star team in 1998 and 2006
World Cup 2004 All-star team
Named best player at the World Championships 1995 and 1999
2002 Masterton trophy
Olympic Silver and 2 Bronze medals
World Cup Silver
Gold, Silver, and Bronze World Championships medals

Good heart-and-soul player to have on the team

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Saku Koivu

Tied for scoring lead in 1998 and 2006 Olympics
Olympic All-star team in 1998 and 2006
World Cup 2004 All-star team
Named best player at the World Championships 1995 and 1999
2002 Masterton trophy
Olympic Silver and 2 Bronze medals
World Cup Silver
Gold, Silver, and Bronze World Championships medals
Yes, there is a current player who has been accomplished and recognized. His years of NHL captaincy also speaks to his leadership qualities. Good in the dressing room.

Old
01-18-2008, 05:59 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Yup, search 'Steve "Stumpy" Thomas'.
Only search for surnames when you're scouring lists to avoid this sort of thing ... but as a general rule, let's leave unneccessary nicknames out of player lists.

"Busher Jackson" is OK, because most folks don't even know his real name is Harvey, but let's not write, "Bobby 'Number 4' Orr."
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
Ok. Ill repick around 9-10 tonight. I have to see a movie tonight with my girlfriend so ill be back then.
MLD is not more important than girlfriends. Let's look through life with the proper perspective.

But the main draft ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:01 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Quote:
Good in the dressing room.
There has to be a better way to phrase this ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
players perhaps drafted a bit early: Langevin
He may not have been the BPA, but, he is such a great fit for Rafalski that we wanted him signed sealed and delivered.

01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
He may not have been the BPA, but, he is such a great fit for Rafalski that we wanted him signed sealed and delivered.
good point

i didn't want to grab a right winger early but chemistry was a factor in the decision to

Old
01-18-2008, 06:20 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post

We believe this player is the best LW in the draft. With his speed, grit and defensive awareness, we gave him a long, hard look for our fourth line in the main draft. With his skill, we believe he's also good enough to be a first line winger in the minor league draft. He'd be a fixture in the main draft if his career wasn't ruined by a battle with MS. A two-time Stanley Cup champ and the assist leader in the 1968 playoffs: LW Dave Balon.

The trio of Balon-Bronco-Balfour (to be known as our Killer B's line) gives us an excellent blend of skill, savvy, speed, toughness and two-way play. It also means that we will have the luxury of being able to use this line in all situations.
That is a very good first line.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote