HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
  #176
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,164
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
A guy I wanted last time but got beaten to by pappy, Windsor takes tough 2-way D Doug Barkley

Was on his way to becoming a top defenseman in the league before an injury left him without sight in one eye.

Runner-up for the Calder by 0.2 votes.
Had 30 first place Norris votes in 65-66
Lead defensemen in goals in 63-64.

"Losing Doug Barkley was a real blow to the team," Gordie Howe said. "He was developing into an all-star defenseman."
Glad to see someone else appreciates him. Would be a good late pick in the main draft.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:39 PM
  #177
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
That is a very good first line.
Hummmm... Horvath's pick isn't screwing our plan. This said, it takes out a very interesting possibility, to say the least.

Balon was a great pick. Was kinda hoping he would fall like he did last time. This doesn't looks like it, but LW is something of a deep position in MLD.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 07:42 PM
  #178
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
There has to be a better way to phrase this ...
Ladies and gents, we have the winner for the "best bad pun" of the draft so far!

... way better than the Gilles Villeneuve elegy from last MLD between VI and I.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:49 PM
  #179
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,336
vCash: 500
The Belleville Bulls are extremely proud to select, with their 3rd Round Pick, Goaltender.... Felix Potvin.

As a Junior backstopper with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the QMJHL, Felix Potvin had the golden touch of an all-star. He led the league in shutouts for three years running; he was voted a second and first team all-star. He was chosen as the CHL Goaltender-of-the-Year; and, he made the Memorial Cup All-Star team and took home the Hap Emms Memorial Trophy as the top goaltender of the tournament. He then joined Team Canada to win a gold medal at the World Junior Championships.

Potvin was drafted in 1990 by the Toronto Maple Leafs. He spent his first pro season with their AHL affiliate in St. John's. That year, he won the Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy as the top goaltender of the AHL and the Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Trophy as the league's Rookie-of-the-Year. To top things off, he tended goal in four games for the Leafs who saw what they liked thus clearing the way for the club to dispense with Grant Fuhr in favour of their new rookie netminder.

In his early years with the Leafs, Potvin was a workhorse who, in his first big-league campaign, carried his club to the semi-finals where they eventually lost to Wayne Gretzky and his Los Angeles Kings. By the time he'd completed his six-year run with the Blue and White, Potvin had more games played and wins than all other Leafs stoppers except for Turk Broda and Johnny Bower. He set a club record, leading the league in games played with 74 during the 1996-97 season. During that campaign, he faced more shots than any goaltender in league history.

With the signing of free agent Curtis Joseph, Potvin saw the writing on the wall and the Leafs finally dealt him to the New York Islanders.

After a short stay with the Islanders, Potvin was sent to Vancouver where his stay was just as short as in New York. Following to sub-par seasons with New York and Vancouver, Potvin made a triumphant return to the NHL in 2000-01 with the Los Angeles Kings where he was workhouse for the team during their playoff run.

In 2001-02 Potvin played in 71 games with the Kings posting a 31-27-8 record along with 2.31 GAA before battling injuries throughout the 2002-03 season. After parts of three seasons with the Kings, Potvin was acquired by the Boston Bruins in the summer of 2003. Potvin would appear in 28 games with the Bruins however would not be re-signed by the club following the 2003-04 season.


NHL Totals: 635GP 266W 260L 85T 32SO 2.76GAA

The Bulls are pleased to select with their 4th draft pick, Center...Craig H. Janney.

One of the best puckhandlers and playmakers in the NHL, Craig Janney has averaged nearly a point per game in a little over 13 years of big league play. His creativity and knack for fooling defenders with an ability to find the open man made him one of the highest-scoring forwards in the 1990s.

Born In Hartford, Connecticut, Janney first gained fame as a high school star with Denfield Academy. He was chosen to play with the U.S. national team at the 1985 World Junior championships where he scored six points in seven games. He entered Boston College the next year, played again at the World juniors, and was drafted in first round, 13th overall, by the Boston Bruins in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft.

During the first year after being drafted, Janney exploded for 81 points in 37 games for Boston College. He was named to the Hockey East first all-star team and the NCAA East first All-American all-star team. The Bruins were anxious to get him into uniform but the Bruins felt that a year with the U.S. national team would be of greater benefit to him. Janney was one of the top scorers on the team during the 1987-88 pre-Olympic exhibition games. He played strongly at the Calgary Olympics, scoring six points in five matches although the team finished a disappointing seventh.

Following the Olympics, Janney stepped into the Boston lineup and averaged more than a point per game during the last 15 games of the season. He also played well and was a key factor in the Bruins' march to the 1988 Stanley Cup final where they succumbed to Edmonton. Although Janney's production was not as high as expected in 1988-89, his downtime was attributed to getting acclimatized to the long NHL season. He experienced injury problems in 1989-90 but was hot in the playoffs as the Bruins reached their second Stanley Cup final in three years.

Janney seemed to establish himself as a regular with 92 points in 1990-91 but his play was, at times, indifferent. He helped Team USA reach the Canada Cup final in 1991 and started the 1991-92 season in Boston. Later in the year he was traded to the St. Louis Blues for another playmaker, Adam Oates. It was hoped he would form a deadly partnership with Brett Hull and revitalize his career. In 1992-93 he registered a personal-high 106 points but was unable to sustain that offensive pace. In March 1994 he was traded to Vancouver as compensation for the Blues signing restricted free agent Petr Nedved. Janney refused to report and sat out a week until the two teams reached an agreement whereby he was traded back to St. Louis for a package of players.

Janney played well for the fourth place U.S. team at the 1994 World Championships but clashed with new St. Louis coach Mike Keenan in 1994-95. He was traded to San Jose where he spent parts of two seasons then shipped to the Winnipeg Jets late in 1995-96. He entered the record books that year as one of the last Jets as the team was transferred to Phoenix in the off-season. On the Coyotes, Janney's offensive magic clicked in spurts with power forward Keith Tkachuk. In January 1999 he was traded to the New York Islanders where he played 18 regular season matches before retiring.


NHL Totals 760GP 188G 563A 751P 170PIM



Also, I was wondering if we could switch Pavol Demitra's position to RW, because I recall him playing that position for a few years as well as centre?

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:01 PM
  #180
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,979
vCash: 500
You can put Demitra wherever you like... just know that the other GMs will take that into consideration when passing judgement on your team.

I don't like Janney... i think he's as soft and one-dimensional as they come. Perfect first line center for this draft. Talented as hell. I could have seen myself drafting him in a couple rounds depending on who else got taken.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:13 PM
  #181
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You can put Demitra wherever you like... just know that the other GMs will take that into consideration when passing judgement on your team.
that's exactly how it works: a line with three centres would be about as effective as they were for team canada at the 1998 olympics: not! expect other g.m.s to discount player effectiveness out of position

i try to list on the first page the main position ever played, or significant time played at the position. demitra is a c/rw

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:20 PM
  #182
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,336
vCash: 500
Alright but just so everyone knows. The 3 years I can recall Demitra playing RW. He combined for 213 Points in 204 Games. Far from bad.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:39 PM
  #183
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,979
vCash: 500
Just make sure you compensate for Janney on that line, and on the rest of the team!

I'm PMing my pick right now.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
  #184
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Just make sure you compensate for Janney on that line, and on the rest of the team!

I'm PMing my pick right now.
Mhmm will do. Still deciding where to fit everybody.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:08 AM
  #185
The_Hockey_Guy18
 
The_Hockey_Guy18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
The New York Americans select RW Rick Kehoe. More on the pick tomorrow morning.

PMing seventieslord now.

The_Hockey_Guy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
  #186
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
Dysart listpicks Slava Kozlov

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 02:01 AM
  #187
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
Don't judge a goalie's career by how they do as a 35-year-old Blackhawk


Nikolai "'Bulin Wall" Khabibulin



Quote:
"In case you didn't believe the numbers goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin put up in Winnipeg last season and in the playoffs (when he singlehandedly kept the Jets in their series against the Red Wings), be prepared for more of the same from Khabibulin in Phoenix this season."
(The Sporting News Hockey Yearbook 1996-97, p. 13)

254 wins, 36 shutouts, a Stanley Cup , all-star game participant (1998, 1999, 2002, 2003), won bronze and named tourney's top goalie of the 2002 Olympics, named IHL co-MVP when played half season there in NHL contract dispute holdout. NHL career .907 save percentage with higher playoff save percentage average of .922

Quote:
On April 23, 2004, Nikolai became the fifteenth National Hockey League goaltender to record four shutouts in a single postseason with a 4-0 blanking of the Montreal Canadiens
Quote:
Certainly not your typical European goalie. He doesn't sit back in the net. He challenges. Great glove hand. And he's durable. We haven't had much success against him so I really can't tell you how to beat him. If I knew, I'd do it myself." (Theoren Fleury, ESPN Sportszone, April 1998)
Quote:
One of the world's finest netminders, Khabibulin's GAA dropped for five consecutive seasons and peaked at an all-time low of 2.13 two seasons ago in 1998-99. A workhorse, the Russian athlete is highly acrobatic... Loves to challenge shooters. Khabibulin's shills are still razor sharp." (The Sports Forecaster 2000-01, p. 208)
Quote:
Finished eighth in voting (among ALL NHLers, not just goalies) for National Hockey League All-Star team, 1995-96.
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/khabibulin.html

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 02:03 AM
  #188
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
The Nelson Leafs listpick goaltender John Hutton.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:11 AM
  #189
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Dysart listpicks Slava Kozlov
Thanks for making this pick for me. Slava Kozlov is a well-rounded and highly respected NHL veteran. He has proven to be a quality player at all stops in the NHL, no matter what role he is placed in. He has been effective as a second liner on a powerhouse, and as a first liner on an average team well into his 30's.

He is a proven winner who was an integral part of two stanley cup wins. With 12 career playoff game winners in 118 career games, he ranks above most of the game's well-known clutch scorers with better than one GWG per 10 playoff games. (I checked Mats Sundin, Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Doug Gilmour, Joe Sakic, Joe Nieuwendyk, Mark Messier, Gary Roberts, Brett Hull, Steve Yzerman, Sergei Fedorov, Steve Thomas, Jaromir Jagr, Peter Forsberg, Mike Modano, Claude Lemieux, Eric Lindros, Jari Kurri, Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier, and Brendan Shanahan) - only Mario Lemieux, Wayne Gretzky, Joe Sakic and Brett Hull score playoff game winners with higher frequency, among recent greats.

Kozlov's career playoff goals and points per game are higher than his regular season career averages, something that is rare for any player with so many games to accomplish. Kozlov thinks the game as well as anyone, and has earned the nickname "The Professor"

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=10831
Quote:
A centre with excellent speed, quickness, and scoring ability, Slava Kozlov was born in Voskresensk, USSR, Kozlov played with Khimik club for four years and competed against NHL clubs for the first time during the 1990-91 Friendly Tour in Moscow. He played for the USSR at European Junior Championships in 1990 where he was named the top forward and placed on the tournament all-star team. Kozlov scored 11 points in seven games when the USSR won silver at the World Junior Championships in 1990. That year he was also named the USSR Rookie-of-the-Year and was drafted 45th overall by the Detroit Red Wings.

Kozlov suited up for the senior national team when they won the bronze medal at the 1991 World Championships and competed in the Canada Cup later that year. He joined Detroit for seven games in 1991-92 then played most of 1992-93 in the AHL with the Adirondack Red Wings where he adjusted to the smaller ice surface and North American style of play.

Kozlov scored 34 goals in 77 games in his first full year in 1993-94 and helped the Wings register 100 points in the regular season. The talented forward became constant in the Wings' lineup. He cored 36 goals in 1995-96 and enjoyed solid post-seasons when Detroit won consecutive Stanley Cups in 1997 and 1998. Recently, Kozlov has been a solid two-way 20-goal producer for the Wings while they have remained near the top of the NHL standings.

After ten seasons in the Red Wings organization, Kozlov was traded to the Buffalo Sabres as part of a deal that saw Dominik Hasek head to Detroit. Kozlov spent one injury plagued season in Buffalo before being dealt to the Atlanta Thrashers just prior to the 2002-03 season. In his first season with the Thrashers, Kozlov reached the 70-point plateau for the first time since the 1995-96 season and continued to be one of the club's offensive leaders.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:36 AM
  #190
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,579
vCash: 500
The Renfrew Creamery Kings are pleased to add the Canucks leading scorer from the 07 playoffs, and solid all-around defender

Mattias Ohlund


PM sent.

BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
  #191
papershoes
Registered User
 
papershoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kenora, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
The Nelson Leafs listpick goaltender John Hutton.
Thanks for making the pick VanIslander...

John 'Bouse' Hutton,
Described as one of the top Ďall-around athletesí of his time, Hutton backstopped the Silver Seven to 5 Stanley Cups, and was inducted into the HHOF in 1962.

"Legends of Hockey"
Quote:
Hutton began his hockey career with Ottawa in 1898-99, playing in two games. He saw full-time duty the following year and by his third year he had backstopped the Ottawa squad to an undefeated season. His steady play continued, and in 1903 the Ottawa Hockey Club won the Stanley Cup and were christened the Silver Seven because of the silver coins bestowed upon the players commemorating their victory.

Bouse was again in the net as Ottawa successfully defended Cup challenges from the Winnipeg Rowing Club in January 1904, the Toronto Marlboros in February 1904, and Brandon in March 1904. It was during this time that Hutton played on three championship teams at the same time--hockey, football, and lacrosse.

Bouse Hutton was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.

papershoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:01 AM
  #192
Sakicfan
Registered User
 
Sakicfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
The Moose Jaw Minuteman are pleased to select RW Andy Hebenton.

Quote:
Before Doug Jarvis, Andy Hebenton was the Iron Man of the NHL. Including lengthy stints in the minors, he played 26 professional seasons from 1949-1975. When he finally cracked the New York Rangers lineup in 1955, he embarked on a remarkable string of 630 straight regular season games, racking up an impressive 189 goals and 202 assists.

Known as "Spud" because of his love for potatoes, Hebenton was a hard-working, clean player who averaged only nine penalty minutes per season. He won the Lady Byng trophy for gentlemanly play in 1957. He was also a five-time winner of the Fred J. Hume Cup as the most gentlemanly player of the WHL.

Hebenton's final NHL campaign took place with the Bruins in 1963-64. His rights were then traded to the Maple Leafs who dispatched him to the WHL where he played out his professional career with the Portland Buckeroos and the Victoria Cougars.

Hebenton had hopes of joining the WHA in 1975 although no invitations materialized. His son, Clay Hebenton, however, did play goal for the league with the Phoenix Roadrunners and the Houston Aeros. Hebenton retired from pro hockey in 1975.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...p?player=12895

PM Sent

Sakicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
  #193
The_Hockey_Guy18
 
The_Hockey_Guy18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 455
vCash: 500
More on the man who once owned a legendary 'stache, Rick Kehoe.

From Legends of Hockey:

Quote:
Right-winger Rick Kehoe was equipped with excellent speed and a blazing shot. He played over 13 years in the NHL with Toronto and Pittsburgh and accounted for nearly 800 points.
Former winner of the Lady Byng trophy, he also trails only Lemieux and Jagr on the Penguins all-time scoring list, with 636 points in 11 seasons.

The_Hockey_Guy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:40 AM
  #194
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
The Belleville Bulls are extremely proud to select, with their 3rd Round Pick, Goaltender.... Felix Potvin.

As a Junior backstopper with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens of the QMJHL, Felix Potvin had the golden touch of an all-star. He led the league in shutouts for three years running; he was voted a second and first team all-star. He was chosen as the CHL Goaltender-of-the-Year; and, he made the Memorial Cup All-Star team and took home the Hap Emms Memorial Trophy as the top goaltender of the tournament. He then joined Team Canada to win a gold medal at the World Junior Championships.

Potvin was drafted in 1990 by the Toronto Maple Leafs. He spent his first pro season with their AHL affiliate in St. John's. That year, he won the Baz Bastien Memorial Trophy as the top goaltender of the AHL and the Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Trophy as the league's Rookie-of-the-Year. To top things off, he tended goal in four games for the Leafs who saw what they liked thus clearing the way for the club to dispense with Grant Fuhr in favour of their new rookie netminder.

In his early years with the Leafs, Potvin was a workhorse who, in his first big-league campaign, carried his club to the semi-finals where they eventually lost to Wayne Gretzky and his Los Angeles Kings. By the time he'd completed his six-year run with the Blue and White, Potvin had more games played and wins than all other Leafs stoppers except for Turk Broda and Johnny Bower. He set a club record, leading the league in games played with 74 during the 1996-97 season. During that campaign, he faced more shots than any goaltender in league history.

With the signing of free agent Curtis Joseph, Potvin saw the writing on the wall and the Leafs finally dealt him to the New York Islanders.

After a short stay with the Islanders, Potvin was sent to Vancouver where his stay was just as short as in New York. Following to sub-par seasons with New York and Vancouver, Potvin made a triumphant return to the NHL in 2000-01 with the Los Angeles Kings where he was workhouse for the team during their playoff run.

In 2001-02 Potvin played in 71 games with the Kings posting a 31-27-8 record along with 2.31 GAA before battling injuries throughout the 2002-03 season. After parts of three seasons with the Kings, Potvin was acquired by the Boston Bruins in the summer of 2003. Potvin would appear in 28 games with the Bruins however would not be re-signed by the club following the 2003-04 season.


NHL Totals: 635GP 266W 260L 85T 32SO 2.76GAA

The Bulls are pleased to select with their 4th draft pick, Center...Craig H. Janney.

One of the best puckhandlers and playmakers in the NHL, Craig Janney has averaged nearly a point per game in a little over 13 years of big league play. His creativity and knack for fooling defenders with an ability to find the open man made him one of the highest-scoring forwards in the 1990s.

Born In Hartford, Connecticut, Janney first gained fame as a high school star with Denfield Academy. He was chosen to play with the U.S. national team at the 1985 World Junior championships where he scored six points in seven games. He entered Boston College the next year, played again at the World juniors, and was drafted in first round, 13th overall, by the Boston Bruins in the 1986 NHL Entry Draft.

During the first year after being drafted, Janney exploded for 81 points in 37 games for Boston College. He was named to the Hockey East first all-star team and the NCAA East first All-American all-star team. The Bruins were anxious to get him into uniform but the Bruins felt that a year with the U.S. national team would be of greater benefit to him. Janney was one of the top scorers on the team during the 1987-88 pre-Olympic exhibition games. He played strongly at the Calgary Olympics, scoring six points in five matches although the team finished a disappointing seventh.

Following the Olympics, Janney stepped into the Boston lineup and averaged more than a point per game during the last 15 games of the season. He also played well and was a key factor in the Bruins' march to the 1988 Stanley Cup final where they succumbed to Edmonton. Although Janney's production was not as high as expected in 1988-89, his downtime was attributed to getting acclimatized to the long NHL season. He experienced injury problems in 1989-90 but was hot in the playoffs as the Bruins reached their second Stanley Cup final in three years.

Janney seemed to establish himself as a regular with 92 points in 1990-91 but his play was, at times, indifferent. He helped Team USA reach the Canada Cup final in 1991 and started the 1991-92 season in Boston. Later in the year he was traded to the St. Louis Blues for another playmaker, Adam Oates. It was hoped he would form a deadly partnership with Brett Hull and revitalize his career. In 1992-93 he registered a personal-high 106 points but was unable to sustain that offensive pace. In March 1994 he was traded to Vancouver as compensation for the Blues signing restricted free agent Petr Nedved. Janney refused to report and sat out a week until the two teams reached an agreement whereby he was traded back to St. Louis for a package of players.

Janney played well for the fourth place U.S. team at the 1994 World Championships but clashed with new St. Louis coach Mike Keenan in 1994-95. He was traded to San Jose where he spent parts of two seasons then shipped to the Winnipeg Jets late in 1995-96. He entered the record books that year as one of the last Jets as the team was transferred to Phoenix in the off-season. On the Coyotes, Janney's offensive magic clicked in spurts with power forward Keith Tkachuk. In January 1999 he was traded to the New York Islanders where he played 18 regular season matches before retiring.


NHL Totals 760GP 188G 563A 751P 170PIM



Also, I was wondering if we could switch Pavol Demitra's position to RW, because I recall him playing that position for a few years as well as centre?
Demitra has actually played all three positions.

I think this is the first time that Janney has been drafted. He's a world class playmaker, he might be the best in the draft. But he's also soft, and a liability in the locker room. Not a good team player.

I wouldn't try Janney and Demitra on the same line. That line would have terrific skill, but they'd be really soft and suseptible to a line, defence pairing or five-man unit with a good physical presence. I don't think there's an LW available who could give that line enough of a presence for them to succeed.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:45 AM
  #195
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 7,374
vCash: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I don't think there's an LW available who could give that line enough of a presence for them to succeed.
... and there hasn't been since the 30th overall pick ... Ted Lindsay.

I had my eye on Janney, because he is a great playmaker. Nice pick.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:47 AM
  #196
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
... and there hasn't been since the 30th overall pick ... Ted Lindsay.

I had my eye on Janney, because he is a great playmaker. Nice pick.
Shanahan. Dickie Moore. Kevin Stevens. Maybe Gary Roberts. Guys like that could make that line succeed. But those are top notch power forwards/grinders/physical wingers with a scoring touch.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:55 AM
  #197
God Bless Canada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bentley reunion
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Horvath is not the kind of player i'd expect you to pick. I think of him as a one year wonder with absolutely no defensive conscience. Although defensive responsibilty isn't a must for a 1st liner.
He wasn't a one-year wonder. He scored at almost a point-per-game clip in 1958, at a time when there weren't many guys at a point-per-game. He had 39 points in 45 games the following year (missed the start of the year with a broken jaw. Scored at nearly a 50-point pace in 1961 and 1962, at a time when 50 points was pretty damn impressive.

We have Balon and Balfour to be his defensive consciences, not to mention open up room for him with their speed, skill and physical play.

Horvath is the best offensive centre in this draft. You can't teach offence.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:02 PM
  #198
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
He wasn't a one-year wonder. He scored at almost a point-per-game clip in 1958, at a time when there weren't many guys at a point-per-game. He had 39 points in 45 games the following year (missed the start of the year with a broken jaw. Scored at nearly a 50-point pace in 1961 and 1962, at a time when 50 points was pretty damn impressive.

We have Balon and Balfour to be his defensive consciences, not to mention open up room for him with their speed, skill and physical play.

Horvath is the best offensive centre in this draft. You can't teach offence.
One thing about Horvath... Good player. Cannot do all alone offensively, though. Whether Balon and Balfour are supportive enough offensively is user's choice IMO.

Horvath isn't the top offensive C of this draft. This said, I wouldn't have touched the best offensive C with a 10-foot-pole... So maybe he's the best DRAFTABLE offensive C of this draft...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
  #199
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Horvath is the best offensive centre in this draft.
ballsy claim

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:29 PM
  #200
Diving Pokecheck*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,474
vCash: 500
The Phoenix Roadrunners select D-man Garry Galley, a veteran of 1,149 NHL games.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.