HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
The Cincinati Stingers selects a player that went in ATD-7, that will bring A LOT of things as the go-to guy on defense. His 61 pts in 79 playoffs game are one of the most interesting ratios amongst D-Mens left.

BRAD MAXWELL

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The Cincinati Stingers selects a player that went in ATD-7, that will bring A LOT of things as the go-to guy on defense. His 61 pts in 79 playoffs game are one of the most interesting ratios amongst D-Mens left.

BRAD MAXWELL
Well that makes my next pick a whole lot easier.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Well that makes my next pick a whole lot easier.
Don't forget one thing.... We're picking ahead of you

Old
01-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Transplanted Caper

Received our PM. I'm looking at some final candidates right now. But with my co-GM offline we may use the majority of our time. Sorry folks.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Don't forget one thing.... We're picking ahead of you
Yeah, I actually think someone else is going to take the player I'm eyeing next but who knows.

A 'big 3' of Barkley-Awrey-Maxwell would have been pretty cool.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 02:26 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
One thing about Horvath... Good player. Cannot do all alone offensively, though. Whether Balon and Balfour are supportive enough offensively is user's choice IMO.

Horvath isn't the top offensive C of this draft. This said, I wouldn't have touched the best offensive C with a 10-foot-pole... So maybe he's the best DRAFTABLE offensive C of this draft...
I think I am thinking of the same one.... the only one with over 400 adjusted goals. I noticed he wasn't drafted in the last MLD either. That surprised me. I mean, sure, if he's "The Guy" that team goes nowhere, but in this context, in the right surroundings, couldn't he be a highly talented 2nd line center who is not relied on for two-way play or leadership?

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 02:30 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I think I am thinking of the same one.... the only one with over 400 adjusted goals. I noticed he wasn't drafted in the last MLD either. That surprised me. I mean, sure, if he's "The Guy" that team goes nowhere, but in this context, in the right surroundings, couldn't he be a highly talented 2nd line center who is not relied on for two-way play or leadership?
Well, the one I was thinking about was drafted the last MLD, but there can be others as well.

Old
01-19-2008, 03:22 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
One thing about Horvath... Good player. Cannot do all alone offensively, though. Whether Balon and Balfour are supportive enough offensively is user's choice IMO.

Horvath isn't the top offensive C of this draft. This said, I wouldn't have touched the best offensive C with a 10-foot-pole... So maybe he's the best DRAFTABLE offensive C of this draft...
Balon is definitely good enough offensively. Had a top 10 scoring finish with the Rangers. Led the 68 playoffs in assists. And when he had that top 10 finish in scoring, he did it on a line with Walt Tkaczuk that was also expected to shut down the opposition's best players.

Balfour was good enough to be the RW on one of the best lines in history.

Keep in mind that both players were diagnosed with conditions that would eventually kill them. Balon had MS. He put up 60 points, while playing that fearless, two-way game, the year before the condition drained him of his speed and endurance. Balfour was feeling the effects of cancer in 63-64, when he was 27. He would have seen his numbers skyrocket in the post-expansion NHL. Excellent grit and really good skill.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:53 PM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Received our PM. I'm looking at some final candidates right now. But with my co-GM offline we may use the majority of our time. Sorry folks.
Vancouver Giants select D Yevgeny Paladiev.

Quote:
Yevgeny Paladiev (born May 12, 1948 in Ust-Kamenogorsk, Russia) is a retired ice hockey player who played in the Soviet Hockey League. He played for HC Spartak Moscow. He was inducted into the Russian and Soviet Hockey Hall of Fame in 1969

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Oh yeah, PM's sent.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:59 PM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Oh yeah, PM's sent.
lol..just sent some too. oh well, they'll know for sure they're up!

Old
01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
lol..just sent some too. oh well, they'll know for sure they're up!
That's the spirit!

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 04:44 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
A fast, versatile, consistent and productive skater, he played center at North Dakota, defense at Lake Placid and right wing in his various ports of call in the NHL. Went to the finals with the Bruins, captained the Jets, played in two Canada Cups and is all-things considered one of the best players in this draft.

The Edina Hornets are proud to select, from Warroad, Minnesota ...

Dave Christian

Last edited by ck26: 01-19-2008 at 05:17 PM.
ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 04:48 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
A fast, versatile, consistent and productive skater, he played center at North Dakota, defense at Lake Placid and right wing in his various ports of call in the NHL. Went to the finals with the Bruins, captained the Jets, played in two Canada Cups and is all-things considered one of the best players in this draft.

From Warroad, Minnesota ...

Dave Christian
Dave Christian was a RIGHT WINGER in pro hockey so expect a heavy dose of scepticism regarding his offensive numbers if you put him in any other position. His versatility as a stopgap measure at other positions in cases of injury or short term penalty trouble is a bonus to the depth of your line-up. I always look at a line-up and imagine how it'd do when two players at any position are injured/suspended/in the box.

Old
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Dave Christian was a RIGHT WINGER in pro hockey so expect a heavy dose of scepticism regarding his offensive numbers if you put him in any other position.
Actually, here in Cincinati, we thought of Dave Christian as a potentially solid 2nd line RW.

Old
01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Actually, here in Cincinati, we thought of Dave Christian as a potentially solid 2nd line RW.
Yeah. Here in McGill he was third on the shortlist for 2nd line RW.

Old
01-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

good pick... I was looking at Christian as Well.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 04:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post

From Warroad, Minnesota ...

Dave Christian
Yes, he is. I wanted him next.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 05:53 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

As did I for our last pick. Between him and Janney.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 388
The Boston Cubs select two-way left winger that finished in the top ten in goals three times, Vic Stasiuk. We will also add the 7th highest scoring defenseman of the 1970's, Dick Redmond.

Last edited by Evil Speaker: 01-19-2008 at 07:47 PM.
Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
Soft hands, great playmaker who has grown into a solid two-way center during his time in the NHL. BCJHL rookie of the year, NHL rookie of the year. His teams have won two Stanley Cups and three Wales trophies, and he played a significant role in each and every one of them. Glen Sather could give you 51,500,000 reasons why he's the guy you want to build your team around.

The Edina Hornets are proud to select, from Anchorage, Alaska ...

Scott Gomez

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
The Boston Cubs select two-way left winger that finished in the top ten in goals twice, Vic Stasiuk. We will also add the 7th highest scoring defenseman of the 1970's, Dick Redmond.
Great picks, E-Speak. Stasiuk was part of the Uke Line with Bucyk and Horvath in Boston. Four really good seasons as part of that line. Good combo of skill and grit. Redmond is one of the best offensive defencemen in the draft.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Transplanted Caper

Okay, this hasn't been confirmed by my co-GM, but I want to make this pick in case there's another board hiccu the Vancouver Giants are pleased to select.

Bengt-Ake Gustafsson

Quote:
Bengt Ake Gustafsson was a sturdy and powerful forward with a broad chest and short legs that made him hard to knock down in a skirmish. He always skated upright, never losing sight of the puck and ignoring the opposition's hits and hooks.

Gustafsson was a natural leader and his teammates took their cues from him. Born in Karlskoga, Sweden, he made his debut with the local hockey club and then joined Farjestad. His commitment to hockey is evidenced by a successful 20 year playing career both at home and abroad. He remains one of Sweden's most renowned hockey players.

After the 1979 World Championship in Moscow, Gustafsson was invited to Canada to play for the Edmonton Oilers. He also appeared in a number of WHA playoff games with future star Wayne Gretzky.

In 1986, while he was playing for the Washington Capitals, an injured knee forced him to return to Sweden. He was 30 years old and not about to let the injury end his career. He started over again, joining the minor league Bofors, Farjestad's farm club. There he re-established himself as a speedy forward but wasn't invited to join the national team. Tre Kronor's head coach at the time, Leif Bork, didn't think he was fit enough, but his replacement, veteran coach Tommy Sandlin, had a different opinion and recruited Gustafsson. It turned out to be a prophetic decision.

At the 1987 World Championship in Vienna, Tre Kronor captured the gold after a 25-year interruption. Gustafsson was one of the team's key players. The veteran's performance attracted the attention of Washington Capitals managers and Gustafsson returned to the NHL to play for two more seasons. The Swede is still considered one of the Capitals' all-time best forwards.

Old
01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
The Boston Cubs select two-way left winger that finished in the top ten in goals three times, Vic Stasiuk. We will also add the 7th highest scoring defenseman of the 1970's, Dick Redmond.
About time for Stasiuk!
Actually, I thought you were picking the guy I'll pick in a few seconds, if I can just figure out how to post it.

Old
01-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

no it doesn't

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote