HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik snubbed as All-Star starter

Old
01-08-2008, 10:20 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

vCash: 500
Henrik snubbed as All-Star starter

Your thoughts? Agree or disagree? I personally think that his decline in numbers and play in December cost him the starting job.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 10:21 AM
dkatzism

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
Your thoughts? Agree or disagree? I personally think that his decline in numbers and play in December cost him the starting job.
Agree. He just hasn't been good enough lately to merit the start.

Old
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Agree also, he hasn't been a top goalie in quite awhile now.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 10:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'd rather he not go at all. Get some rest. Make sure he doesn't get hurt during the skills contests or in the game.

I guess it also could help with contract negotiations.

01-08-2008, 10:27 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'd rather he not go at all. Get some rest. Make sure he doesn't get hurt during the skills contests or in the game.

Definitely agree as far as contract negotiations go. Henrik has the Rangers by the balls as it is; the fact that he may play in the All-Star game will only hurt Sather's wallet and the cap situation for the team more.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 10:34 AM
94now

1. Lundqvist is not an All-Star goaltender. He is barely average at this time.
2. Ever since Richter injury I consider All-Star game as being worse then just a waste of time it always has been.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
bumrusherer

All Star gams means nothing. That being said, he didnt deserve it once December started to roll on.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Fletch

He wasn't snubbed...

his overall play, which has been accentuated by recent play, has not made him worthy of a selection.

And I agree with Singn' - better he get some rest - I think the workload to start the season may've taken a bit of a toll, and I'm sure his father's health is weighing on him heavily.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
right now he wouldn't even be a vezina candidate (brodeur, luongo, kipper, leclaire, osgood). that's how much his game has fallen lately

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Levitate

His rough December definitely knocked him down the polls. Oddly enough, he probably would be a starter if he had a great December and a mediocre October.

As for him being "barely average" right now...eh. He's been pretty up and down in his games, but he looked good against Edmonton. Not much he could do about the 2 goals, and you can't expect him to stop every shootout shot. He made some really nice saves throughout the course of that game to keep the Rangers in it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Chimp

Quote:

Agreed. I hope no Rangers goes to that meaningless jippo and rests instead. They need it.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
LOL in no way a slight he isn't playing that well and doesn't derserve it. The first 6 weeks he was a run away starter but not now.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:23 AM
otto1219

snubbed means he deserved to be on the starter... Not the case

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:27 AM
beastly115

I agree with everyone else. He had an excellent start but the path month he has been average at best.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:31 AM
eco's bones

Quote:

Bingo.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:41 AM
bogans

I would venture to say that unless his play falls off dramatically (and if it does he will retire) nobody deserves to start over Brodeur in a all-star game until he retires. I hate the Devils, but he is the greatest ever, we should not even vote on the starter for the Eastern Conference

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:21 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Agreed. I hope no Rangers goes to that meaningless jippo and rests instead. They need it.
Somebody has to go. Each team has to have a rep. I think he is still a lock to go as a backup. IMO, the rule of having each team represented is dumb. I know it keeps more fans involved, but if your team doesn't have an all star, then it doesn't have an all star. Period.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
mstraka82

the Devils probably paid Bettman to get Marty in there as the first starter

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Who cares about the all-star game?What a waste of time?Henrik should use the time off to go visit his dad in the Sweden rather than attend some over-hyped exhibition for sponsors.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
swammerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I would venture to say that unless his play falls off dramatically (and if it does he will retire) nobody deserves to start over Brodeur in a all-star game until he retires. I hate the Devils, but he is the greatest ever, we should not even vote on the starter for the Eastern Conference
This is a bit of a tangent here, but I see a lot of this Brodeur is "the best goalie ever" BS, and need to say something:

Marty is not even close to the greatest ever... The type of defense he has had playing with the Devils over his career would have made a lot of goalie seem great & unbeatable, especially with getting 12 shots on net most nights when he was in his prime. Can you imagine Roy or Hasek in their primes playing behind that defensive system they have? Give me a break... They would've put up numbers twice better then what they did. Whenever I see someone say he's "the best ever" it just makes me laugh & shake my head. I myself played net for 10 years & spent lots of time in Juniors here in the States, and I can tell you that watching Marty, from a Goalie's perspective, he lacks a lot of elements to his game with would ever make me even consider that he's better then Roy or Hasek. It doesn't matter if he get's another 1000 wins (oh, and I'm sure the no-tie rule helps too), it's not just numbers, it's how they play. And Roy & Hasek were just plain better athletes & puckstoppers. If the value of a goaltender was just based on how well they handle & pass the puck, well then Brodeur would be #1. But it's not.

To say best goalie "ever", also means that he would have to rank higher then all the international goalies over the years (not just NHL) as well... well he can't honestly touch Vladislav Tretiak from those old Soviet teams. Not on skill or accolades & accomplishments. Marty Brodeur is a great goaltender, but saying he's the best ever is silly, and makes me feel that a lot of the people of these boards have either never played hockey & don't have the right criteria for judging players, or numbers is all that matters to them. All I know is that if I was building my dream team of past & present NHL players, Brodeur wouldn't even be my backup goalie.

swammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstraka82 View Post
the Devils probably paid Bettman to get Marty in there as the first starter
You guys realize the starters were voted on by the fans, right? It's a popularity contest, having little to do with how he played. Blame Ranger fans for not stuffing the (online) ballot box the way Buffalo did last year. Brodeur beat Lundqvist by 45,000 votes.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
I don't really care about the starter of the all-star game... although I would like to see Henrik in the goalie skills competition.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Fantasy question:

Since the beginning of December Henrik 's 5-5-3 with a 3.08 goals against average and .875 save percentage. Is this a team problem or does Henrik slump like this every year? I'm trying to decide if I should trade him in my pool or not but I don't know if this is normal or if this is something out of character for him.

thanks guys!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Blueshirt Brawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
snubbed means he deserved to be on the starter... Not the case
Agreed. If the Rangers were in first place and Henrik lead the league in wins I would consider him snubbed by the fans. But since neither situation is currently going on I think it's fitting that he's not the starter. He'll get there eventually but this year he doesn't deserve the honor.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by swammerhead View Post
This is a bit of a tangent here, but I see a lot of this Brodeur is "the best goalie ever" BS, and need to say something:

Marty is not even close to the greatest ever... The type of defense he has had playing with the Devils over his career would have made a lot of goalie seem great & unbeatable, especially with getting 12 shots on net most nights when he was in his prime. Can you imagine Roy or Hasek in their primes playing behind that defensive system they have? Give me a break... They would've put up numbers twice better then what they did. Whenever I see someone say he's "the best ever" it just makes me laugh & shake my head. I myself played net for 10 years & spent lots of time in Juniors here in the States, and I can tell you that watching Marty, from a Goalie's perspective, he lacks a lot of elements to his game with would ever make me even consider that he's better then Roy or Hasek. It doesn't matter if he get's another 1000 wins (oh, and I'm sure the no-tie rule helps too), it's not just numbers, it's how they play. And Roy & Hasek were just plain better athletes & puckstoppers. If the value of a goaltender was just based on how well they handle & pass the puck, well then Brodeur would be #1. But it's not.

To say best goalie "ever", also means that he would have to rank higher then all the international goalies over the years (not just NHL) as well... well he can't honestly touch Vladislav Tretiak from those old Soviet teams. Not on skill or accolades & accomplishments. Marty Brodeur is a great goaltender, but saying he's the best ever is silly, and makes me feel that a lot of the people of these boards have either never played hockey & don't have the right criteria for judging players, or numbers is all that matters to them. All I know is that if I was building my dream team of past & present NHL players, Brodeur wouldn't even be my backup goalie.
Oh who cares! Greatest ever...most overrated ever...ugliest ever...bah. Broduer is what he is: a 3 time Cup champion, multiple Vezina winner, and will hold just about every goaltending record in the game regardless of what we call him.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote