HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Know what's scary? A top 4 pick isnt out of the question...

Old
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Choice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If the season's a waste, why trade Prucha? He's still young and has some good potential. If you aren't going to get that last piece back that's going to win you the cup, then why would you trade Prucha of all players?
You don't have to trade him for a player on the downside of his career.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
If the season's a waste, why trade Prucha? He's still young and has some good potential. If you aren't going to get that last piece back that's going to win you the cup, then why would you trade Prucha of all players?
you could probably put him in a package deal to get better prospects, and picks if we decide to blow up this team. Honestly he isn't really that important to this team, he will never carry this team offensively, and he makes too much money for what he provides. If we can get a 2nd pick for him I would trade him.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 11:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
You don't have to trade him for a player on the downside of his career.
Well he's not going to get back much of a player with a tremendous upside. I know people in Rangers land like to dream, but it's not happening. You'll get back a mid-level prospect if you're lucky. He'd have to be part of a package deal which will require more youth than just Prucha. Plus he has very little playoff experience and isn't a proven playoff performer. Why would a team take him in a trade for a playoff push? If you're talking about a team that's out of the playoff picture, then they're stacking their chips for their own rebuild and I doubt they're going to trade one of their big chips for Prucha who hasn't done much at all this season.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Never a good thing when you start looking for for draft position half-way through the season!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
NYRMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Why do we have to fight teams for wins who are fighting for Stamkos?

Why can't we fight for Stamkos?!
Ranger fans don't expect to tank a season to get some top young talent. New York isn't like that for any team. Whether it's the Yanks, the Rangers, or the Giants. It's all the same. The only NY team that tanks is the Knicks and I am sure Knick fans aren't happy. The day the NYR tank to get a 1st and 2nd round pick is the day NY will be a very unhappy town. You just can't do it.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Considering it's January, what exactly is out of the question?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Did anyone read the original post? I thought it clearly said we can't be losing games like vs. Tampa because (of parity) the playoff race is so freaking tight this season, the point spreads in standings are severely affected by each loss. Not "let's dump the season because we are so close to getting Stamkos." Part of me thinks you people like panic threads so much that anything that marginally resembles one is embraced for your flaming.

I'll point out that spots 3 through 8 are separated by a measly 3 points! 3 through 13 by only 10. If we added 5 points (wins vs. EDM, CAL, TB) we'd be 1 point shy of 2nd in the conference. We're closer to the top than we are to the bottom so let's keep climbing. Play some freaking defense boys!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
honestly we don't need to blow up, but we can easily bring up dawes, ship out prucha, bring up baranka and ship out mara, and definitely pic up a could other good pics which should only help our already impressive farm system
yeah... thats all I was saying.. s how me where I say to blow it up.

I say Jagr, Shanny, Straka, and Malik.. thats 4.

And I didnt say drafting a Toews is automatic, either.

Nich gets it.

Choice fails.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 06:28 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
STOP THE PANIC THREADS!

Yes, only about 5 points separates us from the basement of the league, but we're also only 5 points behind the 1st place devils.

A nice little win streak and this is all history, so let's stop embarrassing ourselves like this everytime times aren't good.
When do you start them? When is it time to panic? Are people panicing or stating the truth, which is currently negative and has been for the vast majority of the season?

The only month with a winning record for this team was November and January isn't looking too promising considering they need to go 7-3 in order to achieve a winning record for this month. All this from a team that only, significantly, differs from last year by the aquisition of two top line centers.

When do you say "what we've tried hasn't worked and we need to make some changes. Changes that either get things working or changes that prepare you for the future"?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

every day we get 1 step closer to panic mode. Think about it, right now its going to take a near duplicate of last years performance down the stretch to make the playoffs. Do you guys think it can be done? and even if it does, do you guys think we could actually make anything happen in the playoffs?

honestly, if this goes on much longer, i would start sending feelers out on some of our big named players who wont be here in a year or 2. With an epically strong draft, and a very very strong sellers market, we could secure the next decade in the atlantic division with the talent we could bring back.

not saying to definitely do it, but it would be worth a look see to find out how the market is for our players.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Ranger fans don't expect to tank a season to get some top young talent. New York isn't like that for any team. Whether it's the Yanks, the Rangers, or the Giants. It's all the same. The only NY team that tanks is the Knicks and I am sure Knick fans aren't happy. The day the NYR tank to get a 1st and 2nd round pick is the day NY will be a very unhappy town. You just can't do it.
This year seems to be an odd year, with many things not going our way. But it's definitely not a year of the past where noone cared.

I couldn't see many being mad to tank this year, get some bona fide talent and then go back at it next year.

I don't expect us to suck like this for an extended period of time. Maybe this year. But not too much longer thereafter.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
every day we get 1 step closer to panic mode. Think about it, right now its going to take a near duplicate of last years performance down the stretch to make the playoffs. Do you guys think it can be done? and even if it does, do you guys think we could actually make anything happen in the playoffs?

honestly, if this goes on much longer, i would start sending feelers out on some of our big named players who wont be here in a year or 2. With an epically strong draft, and a very very strong sellers market, we could secure the next decade in the atlantic division with the talent we could bring back.

not saying to definitely do it, but it would be worth a look see to find out how the market is for our players.
I know everyone says "don't panic" and I usually tend to agree, but I really think your post makes sense. I wouldn't be opposed to being sellers at the deadline if things don't improve, especially given the quality of the 08/09 drafts.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
McRanger

Quote:

Players need to start performing. Henrik, more than anyone.

This team didn't get itself together until mid-February last year and still made the playoffs in the 6th seed, so its not panic time yet.

As for performing in the playoffs, absolutely, assuming Lundqvist is in top form. If he is not, then you can guarantee a first round exit, though thats true for most teams built around star goalies.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:35 PM
CrimsonBruin21

Quote:
Think about it, right now its going to take a near duplicate of last years performance down the stretch to make the playoffs. Do you guys think it can be done? and even if it does, do you guys think we could actually make anything happen in the playoffs?
Take it from a rival fan. Yes and Yes. All you guys have to do is find a way to make it into the top 8. I guarantee you that Ottawa would HATE to draw you guys in the first round. It may not seem that way at the moment- but you have the firepower to hang with them.... tremendous veteran leadership... and better goaltending. Throw in the madhouse MSG atmosphere and I think you guys would have a very solid shot.

You just have to weather the current storm and stay within striking distance. As bad it is- the 8th seed is not exactly running away from you guys...

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smythtown_94 View Post
Take it from a rival fan. Yes and Yes. All you guys have to do is find a way to make it into the top 8. I guarantee you that Ottawa would HATE to draw you guys in the first round. It may not seem that way at the moment- but you have the firepower to hang with them.... tremendous veteran leadership... and better goaltending. Throw in the madhouse MSG atmosphere and I think you guys would have a very solid shot.

You just have to weather the current storm and stay within striking distance. As bad it is- the 8th seed is not exactly running away from you guys...
fair enough, i think we could take any team in the NHL if we are firing on all cylinders. the problem is thats only happened for 1 game this entire year.

That is not a good thing.

Old
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
If I could somehow snap my fingers & make you the next GM I would. I would love to blow this sucker up. Even at this very moment I'd forget about a playoff push (yeah right) & start dealing by tomorrow morning.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
If I could somehow snap my fingers & make you the next GM I would. I would love to blow this sucker up. Even at this very moment I'd forget about a playoff push (yeah right) & start dealing by tomorrow morning.
hehe, as a GM, id go for a heavy north american team, with just a pinch of euro skill. id want point shots, deflections, crash the net, ugly goals, and a strong defensive system. id want accountability for every player, but id want a coach who knows when to implement it. id also want bigger, stronger players, and fewer smaller, weaker players.

thats just me though.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:30 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

I'd wager Patty Quinn would have a job tomorrow, eh?

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
hehe, as a GM, id go for a heavy north american team, with just a pinch of euro skill. id want point shots, deflections, crash the net, ugly goals, and a strong defensive system. id want accountability for every player, but id want a coach who knows when to implement it. id also want bigger, stronger players, and fewer smaller, weaker players.
thats just me though.
ive been calling for that for a while. But too many people here think Dawes and Prucha are our core future.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
ive been calling for that for a while. But too many people here think Dawes and Prucha are our core future.
as sad as this sounds, id want a team more like the flyers.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:51 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
as sad as this sounds, id want a team more like the flyers.

yup... they are going to be good for a while... I would try to mold my team after them as well but not tolerate the cheap hits. We already have a good base to build from

Drury, Gomez, Dubi... and hopefully Ani, Chere, and Cally for forwards to build around.
Staal, Girardi, Tyutin w/ hopefully Sangs, Sauer, Baranka
Lundy in net.

Not a bad core. Considering that we also have some good role prospects like Moore, Pyatt, Dupont, Jessiman, Korpi, Bourrett, Liffiton, Potter. We just need some more real High end prospects which could be acquired through trades.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
yup... they are going to be good for a while... I would try to mold my team after them as well but not tolerate the cheap hits. We already have a good base to build from

Drury, Gomez, Dubi... and hopefully Ani, Chere, and Cally for forwards to build around.
Staal, Girardi, Tyutin w/ hopefully Sangs, Sauer, Baranka
Lundy in net.

Not a bad core. Considering that we also have some good role prospects like Moore, Pyatt, Dupont, Jessiman, Korpi, Bourrett, Liffiton, Potter. We just need some more real High end prospects which could be acquired through trades.
the problem is, most of those guys are small and fast, not big and tough. Anisimov and Dubinsky are flyer-like players. not cally, chere, drury, gomez, prucha, dawes, etc.

rangers have opted to go with speed and skill over toughness and grit. Oh well...

Old
01-11-2008, 01:02 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
the problem is, most of those guys are small and fast, not big and tough. Anisimov and Dubinsky are flyer-like players. not cally, chere, drury, gomez, prucha, dawes, etc.

rangers have opted to go with speed and skill over toughness and grit. Oh well...
well I don't count prucha and dawes as core players and i think both should be traded. Chere i still think can grow. he is only 18 so he could keep growing for about another 3 yrs. Men tend to grow until 21-22. Drury and Gomez yeah they are small and fast but look at Briere.

anyway I agree w/ you and your blog though. This team isn't going to cut it and we should start preparing the future the right way.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:06 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:

Actually I have a question for you. If say the Rangers do do a complete purge and acquire say 3 first rounders for this draft and have some good cap space would you do either of these in the offseason?

Go after Marian Hossa
Try to get an RFA such as Corey Perry (would love to get him)
Go after Brian Campbell

Old
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
STOP THE PANIC THREADS!

Yes, only about 5 points separates us from the basement of the league, but we're also only 5 points behind the 1st place devils.

A nice little win streak and this is all history, so let's stop embarrassing ourselves like this everytime times aren't good.
The way this team is playing it will take us an additional 8 games to get 5 points.

A nice little win streak like we had prior to this 5 game loosing streak. Thats all thats happening, win streak, loosing streak, so why is it bad to think that even if this team does put together a 4 game streak, they wont loose another 5 in a row after it?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote