HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you see the Rangers pulling a '2004'?

Old
01-08-2008, 11:43 PM
JayMan82

vCash: 500
Do you see the Rangers pulling a '2004'?

If the rollercoaster ride continues to decline like it has this past month, do you see the Rangers start to purge? Unless Jagr's clauses trigger, most likely he's a goner... Straka, Shanahan, Mara, Malik, Rozsival (which I hope we resign) and Avery (ditto for him) are ALL UFAs... Those are all assets that most likely won't mean anything to our team next year... With a handful of players knocking on the door (Dawes, Bourret, Anisimov, Baranka, Moore, Korpikoski, etc), we can get more SERIOUS assets if we unloaded one or a few of these guys before the deadline...

As much as I hope the Rangers can go on a tear winning the next 6 or 7, part of me is intrigued to see our future core of hungry, blue collar homegrown talent see what they got on the big stage...

Thoughts?

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
NYR Viper

first players i would get rid of are these:

mara
malik
montoya
shanahan
straka
jagr
hossa
prucha

and i wouldnt feel bad about any of them leaving at this point....it is harsh but if the rangers cant make the playoffs, its time to make some serious changes because next year the rangers will be missing most of their top six....without having any real prospects for that roll.....the rangers would need to make some serious trades and hope they can get some good young players and great prospects and good picks.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
This is a bad streak but this is going too far right now. Ultimate panic thread.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I agree with basically all you said, except that I would try to keep Mara around if he signed for the same or a lesser amount than he is being paid now.

As for a firesale, if the Rangers are in the cellar come the trade deadline, I'd clean house. Jagr, Shanahan, Malik, Hossa, Hollweg, and Straka could all be goners if that is the case

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:47 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
This is a bad streak but this is going too far right now. Ultimate panic thread.
just speculation is all....not a panic thread just saying that if the rangers cant turn it around, it may be time to turn a new page considering it will happen anyways in the offseason without getting anything for it

Old
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I agree with basically all you said, except that I would try to keep Mara around if he signed for the same or a lesser amount than he is being paid now.

As for a firesale, if the Rangers are in the cellar come the trade deadline, I'd clean house. Jagr, Shanahan, Malik, Hossa, Hollweg, and Straka could all be goners if that is the case
could you imagine a package of jagr+montoya and what that could bring back from a team that needs a young goaltender fro the future and is contending right now......like detroit possibly....

Old
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

A yard sale isn't as pretty that's for sure.

After the recent playoff entrances, I can't see the Garden taking too kindly to new (filler) studs like Mike/Josh Green, Jo Balej, Thomas Pock, and Karel Rachunek. I don't think you see green AHL players like Korpikoski and Bourret.

TWITTER
@draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:50 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
As much as I'd like to care about Jagr, Straka, Mara, Malik and Shanahan, the bottom line is they're going to mean NOTHING to us next year when they retire or move on to a team that can pay them more and/or has more interest...

Old
01-08-2008, 11:51 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
A yard sale isn't as pretty as you think.

After the recent playoff entrances, I can't see the Garden taking too kindly to new (filler) studs like Mike/Josh Green, Jo Balej, Thomas Pock, and Karel Rachunek. I don't think you see green AHL players like Korpikoski and Bourret.
i dont think it would be pretty, no, but if the rangers dont look like they will make the playoffs, and most of the players who will be traded wont be resigned anyways......then i would hope sather has the smarts to get something for our future rather than nothing

Old
01-08-2008, 11:51 PM
Salz

they will never do that. they will stay in it until the very end.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:53 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
A yard sale isn't as pretty that's for sure.

The BIG difference is we have a legitimate defense core and a Franchise Goaltender... That alone puts us ahead...

To me it just seems like some of our forwards totally abandoned what was a defense first system...

Old
01-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
As much as I'd like to care about Jagr, Straka, Mara, Malik and Shanahan, the bottom line is they're going to mean NOTHING to us next year when they retire or move on to a team that can pay them more and/or has more interest...
If we don't win a single game in January, then yea it'll happen. But things are too close, and will likely remain that way right till the end of the season. Sather is too patient, loyal and experienced to just give up on a team unless they're completely hopeless. All it takes is an 8th place finish to make the playoffs and you never know what can happen.. just look at the 05-06 Oilers.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:00 AM
JayMan82

Quote:
If we don't win a single game in January, then yea it'll happen. But things are too close, and will likely remain that way right till the end of the season. Sather is too patient, loyal and experienced to just give up on a team unless they're completely hopeless.
I don't know about the 'Sather is loyal' part, but I do agree that things are still close... The one thing that most Rangers fan will agree on though is the quality of hockey (along with effort) has been alarming with the except of a handful of players (Let's hope Sather pulls the trigger on a deal w/ Henke while he's struggling)...

Old
01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
If it does get that bad I'm ok with trading vets for picks and prospects.
Except for Shanny and Straka, unless they asked for a trade.
Mara, Malik, Rozsival(if he's asking for too much), Prucha(big fan but if he continues like this and the right offer comes) and Jagr.

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Hire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Hire Sather
This is a rewind from last season. Remember we were 6 points out in Feb. and may have been 1 chris drury miracle away from making the east finals...

BTW, won't happen no matter what..

Hire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

the skid would have to last though January, If we fall 10 to 15 points out than I say trade em' all they don't deserve to be here.

I agree we do hae a franchise goaltending solid defensive core, and centers 1 though 4, we would need to fill it out with some Wingers, I would bring Shanny back make him the captain resign Avery & Mara & go for Hossa (the good one) & throw an offersheet @ Ovechkin.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I agree we do hae a franchise goaltending solid defensive core, and centers 1 though 4, we would need to fill it out with some Wingers, I would bring Shanny back make him the captain resign Avery & Mara & go for Hossa (the good one) & throw an offersheet @ Ovechkin.
Agree with bringing back Shanny to be the Captain of a young team he's got a year maybe two left in the tank with him and Drury there is enough leadership.

Avery on the other hand meh. If he was playing on a rebuilding team and getting as much fan support as he does he would think he was worth 6 mil a year he's kind of a nut job certainly need someone in his role though.

Basically if we have a horrendous January I wouldn't mind us stockpiling picks and prospects. But it is probably too early to panic.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Onion Boy

I'd prefer to see this team pull a spring 2007. We were a worse team then, but still managed to go on an amazing streak to finish the year.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Jagr accumulates enough points to fulfill his end of the option being triggered,the Rangers are making the playoffs with ease.The Rangers would also need to win one playoff round this spring to trigger the option

He has 38 points right now.11 goals.40 goals or 90 points this season triggers 1/2 of the option.29 goals or 52 points in the remaining 39 games

The other trigger is 80 goals or 180 points in the last 2 seasons.Jagr has 41 goals and 133 points.39 goals or 47 points away in the remaining 39 games

Unless Jagr turns the clock back to 2005-06,it's not happening

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 07:36 AM
pcem

I WOULD like to see the Rangers go for a fire sale this year, try to get some legit offensive prospects, take next year to lose big time and go for Tavares in next year's draft. Then we would have a good, more matured core of defense players, a brilliant Goalie and could use the last years of Drury's and Gomez' contracts with some additional youth to go for a deep playoff push. I don't think always being mediocre and drafting more mediocre players will have any use in getting a cup in the near future. For big time UFAs we probably won't have enough money

pcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
DontStepanMe

I would actually love to see a firesale again. WE could reap in reward for it as many teams are still in the playoff picture and will pay top dollar to get in the playoffs as witnessed by some ridicoulous deals in the past year or two (thank you salary cap). But if you start it do it correctly and trade EVERBODY you can.

Players I would trade:

Jagr
Shanny
Straks
Avery
Rosy
Prucha
Dawes (yes i don't think he will amount to much)
Mara
Malik (don't think we will get much)
Struds (y not)
Girardi (I think he is completely overrated and will not become this steller Dman so trade while value is high)
Hossa (don't think we will get much either
Hollweg

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:11 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I don't think it is an ultimate panic thread. Just look at this team. I don't think we have a shot in **** to win the cup. This team has no heart. Teams are paying premiums on any talent they can land. We won't have our best players next year. We are in cap hell next year if we don't (deferred bonuses). We don't have any top notch offensive prospects. We can get an early look at many of our prospects and see which might actually pan out.

and Bottom line this team probably won't make the playoffs as constructed. Our D is fragile and being completlely overrun by other teams. Renney is coaching like a fool lately. Lundy is playing like Dunham. Sorry but he is. We should actually give Montoya a shot up here to compete. Who knows maybe it will wake Lundy up, it could also drive up Montoya's trade value, and even diminish how much Lundy asks for.

Old
01-09-2008, 08:26 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I would actually love to see a firesale again. WE could reap in reward for it as many teams are still in the playoff picture and will pay top dollar to get in the playoffs as witnessed by some ridicoulous deals in the past year or two (thank you salary cap). But if you start it do it correctly and trade EVERBODY you can.

Players I would trade:

Jagr (Would get a 1st, and probably 2 of a teams top 5 prospects, along with a conditional pick depending on how the team does in the playoffs)
Shanny (Would get a high pick and/or a top 5 prospect)
Straks (High pick and top 5 prospect)
Avery (Probably just a prospect or pick)
Rosy (I think he holds the 2nd most value of these players listed. I wouldn't trade him if he can be re-signed reasonably, but could yield a 1st and a top 4 prospect)
Prucha (Probably a middle round pick or a B level prospect)
Dawes (Either trade him or Prucha and keep the other/Would have to be part of a package to net anything worth while)
Mara (Middle round pick or decent prospect)
Malik (Waiver material)
Struds (Nothing)
Girardi How exactly is he overrated?
Hossa (Late Pick)
Hollweg (Nothing Significant)
The thread reminds me of a lot of threads that came about around this time last season as well. The Rangers will more than likely recover and make the playoffs, but i'll play along as well. I'll use the players you listed and have a guess at what they would return. The returns are stated in only picks and prospects. The Rangers will more than likely go after some young NHL talent as well. If the Rangers were to have a firesale, a la 2004, this would be the draft year to do it, seeing as how deep it is as well as the possibility of picking up picks in the 2009 draft and having a shot (a long one because most of the picks more than likely will be towards the end of the first round) at Tavares. You never know though, a team could pull an Oilers and make it to within one game of winning the Cup and then finishing dead or close to dead last the following season.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
DontStepanMe

UAGoalieguy

Regarding Girardi. I really don't think he is that great defensively. In the last 2 months he has been our worst defender. he is making alot of mental gaffes, and has been getting smoked 1 on 1. For an example he missed an easy clearing attempt last night and than just watched the puck instead of going after it in the corner. 3 seconds later its in the net. He is showing why he wasn't drafted.

Old
01-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

The Rangers aren't going to purge this roster of veteran players. It would serve no purpose to do so when they are in the playoff hunt. Despite playing like garbage of late they still are sitting in a playoff position. Unless Henrik or Jagr got hurt for the remainder of the season this team still has a very good chance to get to the Eastern Finals if they catch fire. So no purge is imminent.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote