HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mara

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
  #1
Cruxial
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Mara

I'm not trying to incite gratuitious fighting, but I feel that Mara has got to drop his gloves, and soon.

He's been kinda a non entitiy since he's been here, and he has to do something to get going. When he arrived we were all excited about the physical aspect of his game, but in roughly a year since he arrived he has exactly 0 fights. I don't expect Mara to be Orr, but if you're a physical player you've got to make a statement now and then, especially when trying to introduce yourself to new teammates. Heck, Mara doesen't even pick up one side of co-incedental roughing minors coming out of a scrum.

Look at Shanny, his fights are intended to make a statement (to both teams) rather than to knock someone out of the game. Plenty of opposing players have gotten under the Rangers' skin this year and have thus presented an opportunity for a guy like Mara to show that he's Paul Mara rather than Tom Freakin' Poti.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:36 AM
  #2
Blueshirt Brawler
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Brawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Yonkers, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 607
vCash: 500
You decide to post this today after he had one of his better games offensively as a Ranger? Why pick on Mara? It's his fault???

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:37 AM
  #3
Bretzky*
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
I think he's played up to expectations if not higher so far. He's been nothing short of solid and steady.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
  #4
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,820
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbern39 View Post
I'm not trying to incite gratuitious fighting, but I feel that Mara has got to drop his gloves, and soon.

He's been kinda a non entitiy since he's been here, and he has to do something to get going. When he arrived we were all excited about the physical aspect of his game, but in roughly a year since he arrived he has exactly 0 fights. I don't expect Mara to be Orr, but if you're a physical player you've got to make a statement now and then, especially when trying to introduce yourself to new teammates. Heck, Mara doesen't even pick up one side of co-incedental roughing minors coming out of a scrum.

Look at Shanny, his fights are intended to make a statement (to both teams) rather than to knock someone out of the game. Plenty of opposing players have gotten under the Rangers' skin this year and have thus presented an opportunity for a guy like Mara to show that he's Paul Mara rather than Tom Freakin' Poti.
Mara? Orr is the one who needs to drop the gloves.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:56 AM
  #5
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
I don't think we got Mara because we wanted him to fight or throw down. He was picked up because he is a big body who can play steady defensively and has a hard shot.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
  #6
Chris 84
Registered User
 
Chris 84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Nope, Mara doesn't need to fight. If we want anyone to fight and have Orr in our team it may as well be him.
Mara is a decent defenseman, better off letting someone who has little else to offer do the fighting. In certain circumstances I guess he could fight but I'm not convinced we need any fighters at all.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
  #7
Cruxial
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Mara

I still believe that Mara must assert himself physically moreso than he has done thusfar. He's been very steady and I like him, but I feel that this team lacks a certain intangible quality that comes from players sticking up for one another. That was the result of Shanny's fight with Brashear. Remember the how proud everyone was at that moment? A legitimate NHLer (nevermind HOFer) stuck up for a teammate on our team. When was the last time we had seen that? The whole team became less soft at that moment. Yes, Orr does need to fight more (especially when the team is flat), but regular players (i.e. not 4th liners), need to participate as well.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
  #8
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Mara was great last night. If you want to start a 'someone who should have fought' thread it should be Orr. Last night after the 2nd TB goal Orr should have dropped um the next shift to get some energy in the building and wake his team up. Not Mara...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:23 AM
  #9
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Mara was great last night. If you want to start a 'someone who should have fought' thread it should be Orr. Last night after the 2nd TB goal Orr should have dropped um the next shift to get some energy in the building and wake his team up. Not Mara...
But, he's an important defensive player, right now. He doesn't have time for that enforcer stuff.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
  #10
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
If you want to get on Mara for something it should be not shooting enough. This guy has a ROCKET. And yet, he shoots less than Rozsival.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
  #11
Taz
Registered User
 
Taz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Letchworth
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,235
vCash: 500
I have to say i very much like Mara, i cannot understand why people want to get rid of him. He is very steady and solid and pitches in decently for a 5th defender on this team.

The reason he isnt going out there fighting is probably due to him being benched when he went after someone who was pushing Gomez and Renney didnt like it.

I would like him resigned at about 2-2.5 for 2-3 years

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:40 AM
  #12
The Thomas J.*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 18,847
vCash: 500
I love Maras shot, he hasn't used it as much in the pass, but when he does its a cannon!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:53 AM
  #13
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
I have to say i very much like Mara, i cannot understand why people want to get rid of him. He is very steady and solid and pitches in decently for a 5th defender on this team.

The reason he isnt going out there fighting is probably due to him being benched when he went after someone who was pushing Gomez and Renney didnt like it.

I would like him resigned at about 2-2.5 for 2-3 years
if that is the case renney should be fired, if someone is willing to stick up for the team they should do so. renney never benched shanny for sticking up for someone.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
  #14
NYRSinceBirth
Registered User
 
NYRSinceBirth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,842
vCash: 500
Are we really paying a third pairing defenseman 3 mil? I like Mara and all, but now how we use him or what he does for that price.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
  #15
shon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Mara deserves to be on the top pairing with Rosival. this would add to the offense and then the forwards wouldn't have to worry about covering for Staal.
Staal has looked ok and I am not bashing him but he doesn't deserve to be on the first pair over Mara.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
  #16
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
Mara deserves to be on the top pairing with Rosival. this would add to the offense and then the forwards wouldn't have to worry about covering for Staal.
Staal has looked ok and I am not bashing him but he doesn't deserve to be on the first pair over Mara.
Yes, he does. And the forwards can't cover for anyone, let alone would they need to for Staal. If anything, Tyutin and Girardi need to be covered for (lately) and Malik and Strudwick need to constantly get covered for, more so Malik.


Not Staal.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:00 PM
  #17
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,426
vCash: 500
I think Malik should drop his gloves...

sorry, couldn't resist bringing Malik into a thread.

As for Mara dropping gloves - it would be great to see, but I wouldn't call for it.

Should Orr? Would a fight with Roy earlier in the game last night have gotten the crowd into it and jumpstarted his team? Perhaps.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
  #18
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
sorry, couldn't resist bringing Malik into a thread.

As for Mara dropping gloves - it would be great to see, but I wouldn't call for it.

Should Orr? Would a fight with Roy earlier in the game last night have gotten the crowd into it and jumpstarted his team? Perhaps.
But, apparently, that's not his job anymore. He's a defensive forward, now.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:43 PM
  #19
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,426
vCash: 500
Yes...

can't afford to lose Orr for five minutes.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
  #20
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
can't afford to lose Orr for five minutes.
You know you're about to open a can of worms neither one of us wants to get entangled in.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
  #21
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Um...Mara has never been known for his physical play, it's been his offensive play.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.