Notices

Atlanta Thrashers...on TEAM 1260.

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 08:06 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Atlanta Thrashers...on TEAM 1260.

I wanted to post this hear because it is a very weak rumour in my opinion but I figured that you guys might want to know about it.

On Team 1260 Edmonton we pick up the feed of the Bob McCowan and Primetime Sports and he and his panel including Damien Cox and John Wells were discussing the state of the NHL, and which franchises were solid, which could move, fold etc.

Then the subject of Winnipeg getting approached from an NHL team came up and they were discussing it. They went to commercial and when they came back here was the quote...

"And a little birdie just told us it was Atlanta..." and then he went on to say that it wasn't a fact but a reasonably solid source.

Old
01-23-2004, 10:10 PM
Voynich

Unless there is a problem with the sale of the team I doubt it was Atlanta being referred to in that rumor. Why would locally based investors buy the team and then move it? Does that make much sense?

Old
01-23-2004, 11:55 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
Unless there is a problem with the sale of the team I doubt it was Atlanta being referred to in that rumor. Why would locally based investors buy the team and then move it? Does that make much sense?
It was word for word...because they SAID it was Atlanta. The local investors got the NHL team as a throw in and had no interest in it in the first place to my understanding. But the problem is that in this context I agree that it isn't feasable because Winnipeg doesn't have an owner, it just has a building and some crazy people that think the NHL could work there.(Which I personally don't think it can.)

Old
01-24-2004, 12:03 AM
Holly Gunning

There is no truth to this whatsoever. Not the gist, and not the reasoning either. This is the problem with sports talk radio, there isn't enough material so people just create rumors out of faulty logic.

Old
01-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Hockey Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I wanted to post this hear because it is a very weak rumour in my opinion but I figured that you guys might want to know about it.

On Team 1260 Edmonton we pick up the feed of the Bob McCowan and Primetime Sports and he and his panel including Damien Cox and John Wells were discussing the state of the NHL, and which franchises were solid, which could move, fold etc.

Then the subject of Winnipeg getting approached from an NHL team came up and they were discussing it. They went to commercial and when they came back here was the quote...

"And a little birdie just told us it was Atlanta..." and then he went on to say that it wasn't a fact but a reasonably solid source.

Sorry, will and can not happen under contract with Turner and the city of Atlanta. They don't build you an arena and then you bolt. Wake up dumb ass! Read the small print.

Old
01-24-2004, 12:50 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Mojo
Sorry, will and can not happen under contract with Turner and the city of Atlanta. They don't build you an arena and then you bolt. Wake up dumb ass! Read the small print.
Listen maybe you should read and figure out that Turner sold the Hawks, Thrashers and the Arena rights to Atlanta Spirit LLC.

And I would insult you in return, but I am not like that.

Old
01-24-2004, 01:18 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

First off, lets not get into name calling. Slats heard a rumor on the radio in Edmonton and posted it here, as far as I am concerned he did us a favor by doing that. We can debate the merits of it, but it is not like he came here and said we suck or that the team should be moved.

Chanting Fire Sather is perfectly acceptable though :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The local investors got the NHL team as a throw in and had no interest in it in the first place to my understanding.
Sorry folks, but that does make sense. I think a couple of the new owners do have a history with the Hawks, and in the finance part of the deal the Thrashers were a throw in. Like David McDavid, this ownership team made no bones about the fact that they were basketball fans first.

I do not believe a word of it, and I think that any local ownership that moves the team is going to be persona non grata in this town for the rest of their lives. However it does have the appearance of truth, so as rumors go I don't have a problem with it.

When you have two talents such as Kovalchuk and Heatley, along with a potential superstar like Lehtonen, you do not move them and keep Jason Terry and Shareef Abdul-Raheem. From a business standpoint the Thrashers are a much easier team to market than the Hawks, and they are still the only ones getting half decent attendance.

Last edited by btn: 01-24-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old
01-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Voynich

Quote:
The local investors got the NHL team as a throw in and had no interest in it in the first place to my understanding.
Or you could use reason and figure out that the Thrashers are bringing in way more money than the Hawks are and the new ownership group would be a bunch of flaming morons to move the team and thereby decrease any possible revenue the Thrashers generate in ticket sales and concessions at the arena that they just so happen to have the rights to as well.

It is a package deal, you are right, but there is no sane reason for them to move the more valuable of the two teams. The Hawks suck and draw less fans than your average high school basketball team. The Thrashers attendance numbers are on the rise and they are the more promising of the two franchises by a huge margin.

Never mind the fact that this is a locally based ownership group. They have given every indication that they intend for both of the teams to remain in Atlanta. They aren't anti-hockey, that is the beauty of having an ownership group. Some of them are ecstatic about having the hockey team, others are more interested in the basketball team, some just wanted to have a stake in their local teams.

I'd also like to point out that the average Atlanta fan is probably much more informed about this situation than anyone on Edmonton sports talk radio is.

Old
01-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
I'd also like to point out that the average Atlanta fan is probably much more informed about this situation than anyone on Edmonton sports talk radio is.
Team 1260 picks up the feed from Fan 590. It is a Toronto show. But I am done with this thread...take the information and do whatever.

Old
01-24-2004, 01:48 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If this is the new rumor of the week it will probably be repeated tonight during the Hot Stove on HNIC and we could be dealing with this for a while.

I have not seen anything out of the new ownership team that makes me trust them, and this move rumor could be what is holding up the approval process.

Old
01-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Holly Gunning

btn, we love you, but you are a self-admitted conspiracy theorist. Just get ready for the game tonight and forget about what people 1000 miles away who are looking to fill air time are saying.

Old
01-24-2004, 03:25 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Too true, the only way this would be better is if they were going to sell the team to a group of Freemasons.

We gotta beat those Isles tonight.

Old
01-24-2004, 04:29 PM
tigger

This rumor is complete and utter BS. Florida is the team that contacted officials in Winnipeg about moving.

Closed Thread