HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top rookies in 2008-09

Old
01-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Macster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I don't think you will see the likes of

Steve Mason
Blake Geoffrion
Bobby Saguinetti
Thomas Hickey
Mikael Backlund
Shawn Matthias
Jonathan Bernier
Logan Couture
Drew Doughty
Patrick Berglund
Karl Alzner
Kyle Turris
Jame Van Riemsdyk
Jakub Voracek

all will likely need some AHL seasoning before they make jump
Voracek will only be 19 next year, so he doesn't qualify for the AHL until the 2009/2010 season.

It's Columbus or Halifax for him next year.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
1. Kyle Turris - PHO
2. Kyle Okposo - NYI
3. James VanRiemsdyk - PHI
Just curious -- why Turris over JVR? JVR has always seemed much more NHL-ready than Turris. He has a pro body, pro speed, etc. The guy is ready now.

Turris has put up 11 of his 19 points against horrible teams with horrible goaltenders.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Just curious -- why Turris over JVR? JVR has always seemed much more NHL-ready than Turris. He has a pro body, pro speed, etc. The guy is ready now.

Turris has put up 11 of his 19 points against horrible teams with horrible goaltenders.
This is not a recording.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by AY View Post
This is not a recording.
Sorry to strike a nerve!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Sorry to strike a nerve!
It's not that I disagree with you about JVR, I believe his showing at the WJC and so far in his first college year is due to the fact he is bigger and stronger and more ready to play against more experienced and higher competition. I also think he'll be physically ready to play in the NHL before Turris.

But people seem to go back to Turris lighting it up against weaker early competition and then struggling a bit more against better college teams at a time when he was sick and lost 10 pounds that he more than anybody couldn't afford to lose. He did pretty well in leading Canada in scoring during a gold medal WJC run against good teams and good goaltending.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
Agreed with both those calls. Assuming they both commit to NA next year, they will play NHL hockey from day one. Whether they stick is another question, but I am confident they will play at least 60-70 games each.

For Buffalo, Zagrapan is the rookie who will probably have most impact. Expect him to have a similar season to Paille last year and MacArthur this year splitting time between AHL and NHL. Mark Mancari and Patrick Kaleta will fight for a fourth line spot. Gogulla will come to camp and either make the team or return to Europe. I expect one of Brennan, Weber, Funk or Card to make the team, assuming Sekera gets the other spot. You can add Buravchikov to that list if he comes over, big if though. With 4 UFAs on D, there may be more than one.

Enroth will not play in the NHL to start the year, he will either start in the AHL or play another year in Europe.
Buravchikov? He is a bottom-pairing defenseman in RSL. No way he's NHL ready.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Loto68

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectraljulian View Post
No PIT rookies were mentioned. I don't expect any of them to be in the top 5, but I think one or two of them could surprise and play pretty well.

Possible rookies for Pittsburgh next year:

Dustin Jeffrey
Alex Goligoski
Ryan Stone
Luca Caputi
Joe Vitale
Vitale is only a junior and seeing as how I go to Northeastern and watch everygame, he isn't ready for the NHL yet, though he is making large strides this season. As far as JVR, who some people mentioned, I intern for USCHO.com and from the UNH games I have covered it doesn't look like he will be NHL ready for at least another season, plus Dick Umile likes guys to stick around for a while.

Loto68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I do not anticipate Alzner being on the Caps for many games next year. I don't think that Fehr has reached the rookie limit and if he heals well from this injury, he played his first game in 10 months last night for Hershey, then next year should be a solid rookie season for him.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Schremp could be putting up numbers as a rookie next year... (only if he is traded to a team which allows him to play his game)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Joni View Post
Schremp could be putting up numbers as a rookie next year... (only if he is traded to a team which allows him to play his game)
By his game you mean spin around in circles with the puck on his stick? I'm sure the circus may allow him to do that.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 02:49 PM
caley

Carey Price or Jarolsav Halak, whichever doesn't get past 24 games.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:

could go either way, but I would suspect that Turris would get more playing time on Phoenix's roster than JVR would on Philly's. Kind of how Mueller and Hanzal are getting lots of playing time now compared to other rookies in the NHL, theres just more room for him to play. More minutes = more points.

Who do I think is actually more talented is another question.

Last edited by amnesiac*: 01-10-2008 at 03:50 PM.
amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Carey Price or Jarolsav Halak, whichever doesn't get past 24 games.
I think Price will undoubtedly pass 24 games this season, and will undoubtedly be the #1 goalie in Montreal next season.

Halak may play 20-30 games next year, but I dont think that would be enough to get him the Calder as a backup.

amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
i find brian lee's development very surprising, in a positive way...

he was supposed to be such a project when he was drafted. i thought he would need al 4 years in college and 1-2 years in the AHL before he was ready. and now, after 2 years at college and 1/2 season in the AHL he is allmost there.....

very niiiiice
It's certainly a nice surprise, and now he's an AHL All-star. It's definately looking like he'll have a spot next year.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:53 PM
fighterflea1*

"could go either way, but I would suspect that Turris would get more playing time on Phoenix's roster than JVR would on Philly's. Kind of how Mueller and Hanzal are getting lots of playing time now compared to other rookies in the NHL, theres just more room for him to play. More minutes = more points.

Who do I think is actually more talented is another question."

I can think of no reason why Van Riemsdyk can't get 2nd or 3d line minutes in Philly next year if the Flyers determine he is ready. Gagne and Hartnell are the other top left wings. JVR might also earn 2d unit power play time. No harm if he needs an extra year but there is a spot for him when he's ready.

fighterflea1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:11 AM
kingpin_19

I didn't read the whole thread...but I think that if Okposo made a big enough impact during camp with the Islanders, there is no reason they can't keep him in the line-up for the Regular Season. Look at Bergeron with the Bruins. Different circumstances and styles, certainly, but Bergeron made an impact with the club immediately under even tougher odds. Okposo could do the same. I think its likely to see him in an Isles jersey next season.

kingpin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:25 AM
eb_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I don't think you will see the likes of

Steve Mason
Blake Geoffrion
Bobby Saguinetti
Thomas Hickey
Mikael Backlund
Shawn Matthias
Jonathan Bernier
Logan Couture
Drew Doughty
Patrick Berglund
Karl Alzner
Kyle Turris
Jame Van Riemsdyk
Jakub Voracek

all will likely need some AHL seasoning before they make jump
Ya, Backlund almost definetely will not be in the NHL or the AHL next year. He likely won't be ready for the NHL, and will be to young for the AHL. Backlund will either stay in Sweden another year, or come over and play in the dub (I think Kelowna has his rights).

eb_87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
For NJ I really think a 23 year old Petr Vrana may be able to make some sort of impact. He finally got a hold of the pro game this year and plays in all situations.
I hope so. I've rooted for him since he was drafted but was really disappointed with his results at Albany. He finally broke out at Lowell and we'll see if he can translate it to the AHL. I remember his scouting report was that he was a leader and fierce competitor. I've only seen him play once or twice but I would love it if he could become a 45-50 point guy while playing solid defense and being a leader.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:12 PM
BintZ

Carey Price is still an eligible rookie with only 19 games played and with his recent demotion to the AHL he might be a candidate for top rookie next year. (with half a season of NHL and half a season of AHL under his belt)

BintZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by BintZ View Post
Carey Price is still an eligible rookie with only 19 games played and with his recent demotion to the AHL he might be a candidate for top rookie next year. (with half a season of NHL and half a season of AHL under his belt)
I think for goalies a rookie year is different, considering they don't usually play more than 65-70.

Also, if he can make the trip over, Pavel Vorobiev of the Leafs could be a rookie to keep your eye on next year...

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:40 PM
bney7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loto68 View Post
Vitale is only a junior and seeing as how I go to Northeastern and watch everygame, he isn't ready for the NHL yet, though he is making large strides this season. As far as JVR, who some people mentioned, I intern for USCHO.com and from the UNH games I have covered it doesn't look like he will be NHL ready for at least another season, plus Dick Umile likes guys to stick around for a while.
Yah I am 90% sure JVR will be back at UNH next year. Mainly because the flyers are pretty deep at forward right now. I think he will spend at least 1 more year maybe 2 at UNH before stepping in for the flyers. As for this thread Giroux and Parent would be the two flyers players that will most likely get a shot in 08-09.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 02:55 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster View Post
Voracek will only be 19 next year, so he doesn't qualify for the AHL until the 2009/2010 season.

It's Columbus or Halifax for him next year.
Voracek looked very smooth at the WJC - IMO one of the most mature hockey players out there - and a terrific playmaker.

Personally I'll be surprised if he doesn't stick with the Jackets next year, especially if Vyborny is not re-signed as a UFA... He's also clearly far too good to be playing Junior hockey still.

I think Okposo will make an impact next year and also TJ Oshie in St Louis.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

I go to UNH...van Riemsdyk is staying for 2 years.

Bergfors and Corrente will most likely make the Devils next year and make an impact. Vrana has an outside shot at a job, but more than one spot will have to open up because I believe the first spot that opens up belongs to Bergfors.

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 05:25 AM
BritSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Buravchikov? He is a bottom-pairing defenseman in RSL. No way he's NHL ready.
Serious? Ouch. I thought he was at least top 4.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 05:31 AM
BritSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_87 View Post
Ya, Backlund almost definetely will not be in the NHL or the AHL next year. He likely won't be ready for the NHL, and will be to young for the AHL. Backlund will either stay in Sweden another year, or come over and play in the dub (I think Kelowna has his rights).
After the success Johannes Salmonsson had doing that, I highly doubt Calgary takes this option. Backlund needs to be developed very carefully if he's ever going to come close to his potential.

BritSabre is offline   Reply With Quote