HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top rookies in 2008-09

Old
01-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritSabre View Post
Agreed with both those calls. Assuming they both commit to NA next year, they will play NHL hockey from day one. Whether they stick is another question, but I am confident they will play at least 60-70 games each.

For Buffalo, Zagrapan is the rookie who will probably have most impact. Expect him to have a similar season to Paille last year and MacArthur this year splitting time between AHL and NHL. Mark Mancari and Patrick Kaleta will fight for a fourth line spot. Gogulla will come to camp and either make the team or return to Europe. I expect one of Brennan, Weber, Funk or Card to make the team, assuming Sekera gets the other spot. With 4 UFAs on D, there may be more than one.

Enroth will not play in the NHL to start the year, he will either start in the AHL or play another year in Europe.
Really? i thought he wasn't having that great of a year. His offensive numbers look average, his plus-minus is terrible, and it didn't look like he progressed much since last year. Is he doing better than the numbers suggest?, I haven't seen him play this year. I hope he does make an impact though, I kinda thought of him as a bust, and Buffalo needs the help up the middle.

Last edited by Vatican Roulette: 01-12-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
I do not anticipate Alzner being on the Caps for many games next year. I don't think that Fehr has reached the rookie limit and if he heals well from this injury, he played his first game in 10 months last night for Hershey, then next year should be a solid rookie season for him.

I think i read somewhere that it was one continuous problem with his back, not a reoccuring injury, or am i just off my rocker?
Is it taken care of now? I've been waiting to see him make an impact.

Old
01-12-2008, 02:46 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bergfors View Post
I go to UNH...van Riemsdyk is staying for 2 years.

Bergfors and Corrente will most likely make the Devils next year and make an impact. Vrana has an outside shot at a job, but more than one spot will have to open up because I believe the first spot that opens up belongs to Bergfors.
OT but what do you think of DeSimone?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I think i read somewhere that it was one continuous problem with his back, not a reoccuring injury, or am i just off my rocker?
Is it taken care of now? I've been waiting to see him make an impact.
I don't think its well known what's going on. That's part of the reason it took so long to figure out what was wrong.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
OT but what do you think of DeSimone?
He's part of our stellar freshman class, which is probably the best in the country. Shows good hands/moves and great playmaking skills. His skating looks like it needs a bit of work but it doesn't hamper him in game situations. He's got a goal and nine assists in 19 games for us for 10 points. He usually plays with fellow freshmen Paul Thompson and Danny Dries, but Dries was recently moved up to the 2nd line. I think Vranek was on his line in the UMass game last night. The point is he's playing with fellow freshmen and that chemistry will undoubtedly show up once they get older.

Anyway, we're graduating our top two scorers, Radja and Fornataro, so DeSimone will be counted on, along with the rest of the freshmen, to come up big next year.

Think a bigger, slower Mike Ribeiro, without the diving

Darius Dangleaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by king bergfors View Post
He's part of our stellar freshman class, which is probably the best in the country.
Really? They have a better freshman class than Michigan?

Old
01-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
By his game you mean spin around in circles with the puck on his stick? I'm sure the circus may allow him to do that.
I think he means Schremp's game in the real world, which is basically getting points.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
StrictlyCommercial

vCash: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
Mason Raymond will not be a rookie in 08/09, given he has already played more than 20 games this season.

You are right about Grabner, however. He's out-performing Bourdon on the farm right now -- granted they play different positions, but Bourdon has been slumping since he was sent back down to the Moose, while Grabner has been hot-hot-hot since he became the Moose go-to-guy in lieu of call-ups and injuries. Given the Canucks weak forward group, I expect him to play a fair number of NHL games next season.
I second this with my Canuck bias. Grabner is third in rookie scoring this year and is being coached by excellent defensive coaches, so I would expect to see him make a big jump either in 08-09 or 09-10. I think once he makes it he won't look back.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:32 AM
Larry Fisher
HFB Partner

If, and it is a big IF, San Jose doesn't recall Setoguchi again this season, he will still be calder eligible next year having only suited up in 24 games to date. He would have to be considered a front-runner, especially if lined up alongside Big Joe who he showed some chemistry with earlier this season.

Larry Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Luigi#17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
Voracek looked very smooth at the WJC - IMO one of the most mature hockey players out there - and a terrific playmaker.
Cannot agree. Not saying he won't be with the Jackets in 08-09, but at the WJC he did everything conversely. Terrible championship for a man who was once considered being no. 1 on the draft. He didn't even score! Our national team counted on him and Frolík and he didn't step up.

Luigi#17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Goalin' Crazy UK

Cherry-Bomb?

Surprised not to see more mention of Cherepanov?

Goalin' Crazy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:02 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Giroux could perform well on Philly if he makes the team.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Le Rosbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi#17 View Post
Cannot agree. Not saying he won't be with the Jackets in 08-09, but at the WJC he did everything conversely. Terrible championship for a man who was once considered being no. 1 on the draft. He didn't even score! Our national team counted on him and Frolík and he didn't step up.
"Terrible" is extremely harsh and - his game is more about playmaking than scoring anyway - he had 6 points still. Maybe he didn't live up to your expectations as a Czech but there was plenty to like about the things he did right. His stature just made him look a cut above his teammates.

Le Rosbeef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Luigi#17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalin' Crazy UK View Post
Cherry-Bomb?

Surprised not to see more mention of Cherepanov?
Especially in the USA bronze medal game fun to watch - the foregoing performances were limited cause of illness. Tons of potential, I think he'll make the Rangers before Anisimov. And watch out for Nikita Filatov! Man, he knows where to skate!

Old
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Luigi#17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
Maybe he didn't live up to your expectations
Exactly. He didn't. But it doesn't have anything with my nationality. Berglund, Turris, Matthias, JVR, Backlund, Filatov, Cherepanov, Tikhonov and others played on another level. He should perform equally. His wrong decisions with the puck affected the team.

Old
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Really? They have a better freshman class than Michigan?
It could really go either way. Both schools have gotten great production from freshmen (Pacioretty, Palushaj, vanRiemsdyk). If our's isn't the best we're definitely 1b and vice versa.

Old
01-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by salostyle View Post
If, and it is a big IF, San Jose doesn't recall Setoguchi again this season, he will still be calder eligible next year having only suited up in 24 games to date. He would have to be considered a front-runner, especially if lined up alongside Big Joe who he showed some chemistry with earlier this season.
Why'd they send him down? I thought he was doing quite well?

Old
03-26-2008, 10:27 PM
Stuart McDonald

If Brassard is healthy he wins it hands down.

Stuart McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
CanadaWinsAgain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart McDonald View Post
If Brassard is healthy he wins it hands down.
That is beyond absurd.

CanadaWinsAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
LedZeppelin

Brock Trotter

LedZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:43 AM

From Montreal:

Max Pacioretty or Ben Maxwell if they make the NHL (longshots).

Matt D'Agostini, Corey Locke, Janne Lahti out of Hamilton are possibilities, thought only D'Agostini stand a realistic chance at winning it.

Chipchura, the Kostitsyn bros, O'Byrne and both our goalies don't qualify anymore.

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Oshie....

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Really? i thought he wasn't having that great of a year. His offensive numbers look average, his plus-minus is terrible, and it didn't look like he progressed much since last year. Is he doing better than the numbers suggest?, I haven't seen him play this year. I hope he does make an impact though, I kinda thought of him as a bust, and Buffalo needs the help up the middle.
He's not having a great year. However, the team in Rochester is absolutely brutal and nobody is having a great year. When you compare PPG from last year to this year, Zagrapan is one of a handful of players who were able to maintain the same PPG pace. A lot of people in Buffalo have already written him off as a bust as well, howevver, I am not one of those people. This year was essentially a wasted season for all players in Rochester, get them back in a stable environment with a good coach and some veterans on the team next year and we'll see where they are in their development. This years Rochester Americans had a lower average age than Rochesters RIT hockey team, that lack of veteran presence has had a huge influence on their season.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
Also, if he can make the trip over, Pavel Vorobiev of the Leafs could be a rookie to keep your eye on next year...
Pavel Vorobiev???? I think you're thinking of the wrong Vorobiev

Corey Crawford will probably be the top rookie from the Blackhawks, although Jack Skille will probably give him a run for his money.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:17 AM
FTowwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
From Montreal:

Max Pacioretty or Ben Maxwell if they make the NHL (longshots).

Matt D'Agostini, Corey Locke, Janne Lahti out of Hamilton are possibilities, thought only D'Agostini stand a realistic chance at winning it.

Chipchura, the Kostitsyn bros, O'Byrne and both our goalies don't qualify anymore.
Neither Pacioretty nor Maxwell will be in the NHL, no chance.
Corey Locke has aboslutely no chance of winning the Calder, he played one game in the NHL and looked awful, he cause one of the goals that Chicago scored on MTL and i dont think will see him in an NHL game wearing a Habs uniform again.
Janne Lahti is awful, doing absolutely nothing in Hamilton, was invisible in pre-season, no chance he makes the team either.
D'Ago has a chance of making the team, but his type of player usually doesnt win the Calder. He is a 2-way hardworker with some questionable offensive abilities, i dont think hell win the Calder but hes the only one that actually stands a chance of making the big club next year.

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote