Notices

Lauri Marjamäki Inept?

Old
11-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Koijari
Hat trick Patrik x3

vCash: 500
Lauri Marjamäki Inept?

So Marjamäki has been coaching the Finnish national team since the World Cup and so far his performance has been horrible to say the least. Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated. Yesterday Finland played against Russia in the Karjala Tournament and lost 5-1.

I really don't like what I'm seeing.

Koijari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 09:35 AM
FinnHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koijari View Post
So Marjamäki has been coaching the Finnish national team since the World Cup and so far his performance has been horrible to say the least. Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated. Yesterday Finland played against Russia in the Karjala Tournament and lost 5-1.

I really don't like what I'm seeing.
EHT is only practicing to 2017 men's world championships.
And i don't give nothing value for these games at all.

Give Marjamäki some time to fix those problems what Finland has.
I don't get it why every home couch coach and expert wants fire Marjamäki immediately.

Honestly said if / when those home couch coaches and experts knows better than Marjamäki what to do they should be behind the bench and coach Team Finland.

FinnHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Koijari
Hat trick Patrik x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnHockeyFan View Post
EHT is only practicing to 2017 men's world championships.
And i don't give nothing value for these games at all.

Give Marjamäki some time to fix those problems what Finland has.
I don't get it why every home couch coach and expert wants fire Marjamäki immediately.

Honestly said if / when those home couch coaches and experts knows better than Marjamäki what to do they should be behind the bench and coach Team Finland.
I'm not saying that I know better nor am I saying that he should be fired, but critique is in order.

Old
11-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Tulipunaruusu*

Quote:
Granted, Finland didn't have a great roster when compared to other countries in the World Cup, but Finland was absolutely humiliated.
Only the best situation ever at goalie and centre positions for a Northern American tournament.

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Jussi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipunaruusu View Post
Only the best situation ever at goalie and centre positions for a Northern American tournament.
Also the least experienced and worst defense for one as well.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 04:30 AM
edd1e

From what i've seen Marjamäki seem to really like that dump and chase tactic. I don't like that tactic too much.. it's so hard to get quality scoring chances.

Hard pressure seems to get us into trouble all the time no matter what level.

Right now it seems we are not good in any of the three zones. How can you win with that?

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 09:51 AM
Tulipunaruusu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Also the least experienced and worst defense for one as well.
Maybe but who forced to take young, foolish and green 'NHL' (more like AHL quality) defenders when there are still experienced Finnish KHLers left. I think it is too easy to play it on the current material or even forgive without highlighting how the tournament was set-up for failure.

The Leading One is right in that Marjamäki should have the freedom to build his own coaching team. All respect to Teppo Numminen's playing career but how in the hell a man can take a two year long break from coaching, very early in his coaching career, and reappear at Finnish national team bench! Yet he was the most qualified of the entourage contributing to the game plan and player choices so good pick I guess...

Says something about how weak the culture of play is still in Finnish ice hockey despite couple decades of mostly incredible coaching which led to many successful KHL head coaches among others. Without Westerlund and Rautakorpi available for domestic use... in what state would Finnish ice hockey association be?

Tulipunaruusu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2016, 12:13 AM
FinRuutu
Red Wins

Seems like hes really stubborn or bad at adjusting.

Like in WC he had Vatman and Laine playing 1PP and everyone and their mother saw that Vatanen-Laine didn't work, both wanted to shoot and Vatanen didn't feed Laine at all. Marjamäki didn't see that obviously because he didn't do anything to fix the problem.

We can all hope that its only growing pains but we'll see.

FinRuutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2016, 04:42 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Seems like hes really stubborn or bad at adjusting.

Like in WC he had Vatman and Laine playing 1PP and everyone and their mother saw that Vatanen-Laine didn't work, both wanted to shoot and Vatanen didn't feed Laine at all. Marjamäki didn't see that obviously because he didn't do anything to fix the problem.

We can all hope that its only growing pains but we'll see.
Sihvonen's theory that the assistant coaches did that would explain a lot, sometimes smoke does mean fire - and sometimes a blind chicken does find a seed

I think it likely, because when you get the job as a sort of promotion, reward, and you really really want it - dream of it, you don't have the guts to demand things you should.
Well, head coach should choose assistants, it works that way even in football. Mourinho to Manchester, multiple coaches fired and new ones appointed.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 06:32 AM
Koijari
Hat trick Patrik x3

Finland losing to Czechs 4-0 in the EHT tournament. Has Marjamäki been able to pull off a single win?

Last edited by Koijari: 02-11-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old
02-11-2017, 10:49 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Has Marjamäki been able to pull of a single win?
His W-L on EHT is 2-5 to date.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2017, 04:19 PM
SoupyFIN
Global Moderator
#CatsAren'tComing

IIRC (Kari) Jalonen didn't have that great of a EHT record during his first year and he took the team to the WHC final in his second year. Give the new guy time.

“No one’s expecting us to do anything this year, right? We want to prove some people wrong and take that next step, and if we do that, maybe our peers take notice, and when the peers take notice, the media takes notice and then the fans take notice. That’s how it starts. It starts on the ice. It starts with what we can control.”
- #33 Willie Mitchell, 29/11/14.
SoupyFIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2017, 04:52 AM
Vohaul

Not particularly impressive showing in the last EHT either. 1 win against sweden..
I agree, better give him time though.
There's a chance that his style of coaching might be better for a team playing a long season rather than a tournament style coaching but I dont think a few EHT tournaments are enough to determine that.. he's played quite a few first timers and such in the EHT's as well.
I think he's a promising coach with some good ideas, and of course what he achieves with Kärpät does speak for itself. Wether he's a suitable coach for the national team remains to be seen.

Vohaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 03:57 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vohaul View Post
Not particularly impressive showing in the last EHT either. 1 win against sweden..
I agree, better give him time though.
There's a chance that his style of coaching might be better for a team playing a long season rather than a tournament style coaching but I dont think a few EHT tournaments are enough to determine that.. he's played quite a few first timers and such in the EHT's as well.
I think he's a promising coach with some good ideas, and of course what he achieves with Kärpät does speak for itself. Wether he's a suitable coach for the national team remains to be seen.
Yes. Eyebrows are raised certainly, but I remember that in 2010 I wanted J Jalonen to be fired. Only 1 real win in Olympics, 6-1 thumping and lucky draw to reach bronze game.

Raimo Sillanpää is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Vohaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää View Post
Yes. Eyebrows are raised certainly, but I remember that in 2010 I wanted J Jalonen to be fired. Only 1 real win in Olympics, 6-1 thumping and lucky draw to reach bronze game.
Precisely, J Jalonen didn't have such a gear start as the national team coach.. now he's got gold in men AND juniors. Sometimes patience does pay off..

Vohaul is offline   Reply With Quote