HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

read this ny times article

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 12:07 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
read this ny times article

SENATORS 9, RANGERS 1
Jagr's Debut Is a Defensive Disaster for the Rangers
By JASON DIAMOS

Jaromir Jagr always wanted to play for the Rangers. Perhaps he should have been more careful about what he wished for.

One day after Glen Sather obtained Jagr, a 31-year-old All-Star right wing, from the Washington Capitals for Anson Carter and significant financial considerations, Jagr's debut in a Rangers sweater turned into an embarrassing event.

The manner in which they were not just dismantled but also humiliated, by the Ottawa Senators, 9-1, caused defenseman Brian Leetch, who made his debut with the Rangers in 1988, to say, "I don't think it's been any worse than this."
The Rangers are in a stretch reminiscent of the three consecutive defeats they endured in late January last season, by a combined score of 16-5. That motivated Sather, the team's president and general manager, to dismiss Bryan Trottier as coach and take the job himself.

When asked this season whether he would consider stepping down as coach, Sather has said he would not. But when asked again Saturday night, he was more equivocal, saying, "I'm certainly not going to make any announcements, if that's what you're getting at."
Meanwhile, center Bobby Holik was unequivocal when asked to give his assessment of the Rangers.

"I believe fundamentally we are the worst team in the National Hockey League," he said.

The rout Saturday night was the Rangers' worst since a 10-2 drubbing at Quebec on March 6, 1993.

The Rangers (18-20-7-4) have lost four games in a row and trail the Islanders by 6 points for the eighth and final playoff berth in the East. They have not won in their last six games, going 0-4-2-0, and have won twice in their last 11 games. Over their four-game losing streak, the Rangers have been outscored by 22-6.

The Rangers trailed by 2-0 just 10 minutes 6 seconds into Jagr's debut and by 4-0 after one period. The score was 7-0 after two periods, and the Rangers did not score until 4:45 of the third, on a goal by Matthew Barnaby. Eight Senators scored, with Bryan Smolinski leading the way with two goals.

Ottawa (27-12-7-3) scored three power-play goals, and Patrick Lalime made 28 saves.

Jagr attempted only one shot in 19:50 of playing time.

About the only positive for Sather at the Corel Center was that he did not have to endure the chants of "Fire Sather!" that rang through Madison Square Garden during the Rangers' two previous defeats.

It's possible that Sather could hear the chants again at the Garden on Sunday afternoon, when the Rangers conduct their annual Super Skate celebrity charity event. The Rangers' next game is Monday night at the Garden against the Florida Panthers.

Other than changing his goalie twice replacing Jussi Markkanen with Jason LaBarbera to start the second period, then reinserting Markkanen to start the third Sather could do little more than watch the Rangers surrender.

"We have no excuses," center Eric Lindros said. "We've been talking about excuses around here for a long time. We're just not coming to play."

Lindros made what sounded like a plea for Sather to start benching players.

"When you're making mistakes," Lindros said, "the worst thing that can happen to a player is to have his ice time taken away."

At the morning skate, Jagr had a glazed look when he spoke about how glad he was to be a member of the Rangers. By evening's end, he could have been forgiven for changing his mind.

"I didn't know what to expect," Jagr said after the 9-1 beating, the glazed look still very much in his eyes.

SLAP SHOTS

Defenseman VLADIMIR MALAKHOV sprained his right wrist late in the first period, adding to the Rangers' litany of injuries. Malakhov, who skated one shift in the second period, will have X-rays in New York on Sunday. Defenseman TOM POTI returned Saturday night after missing two games with a bad back. Defensemen GREG de VRIES, DARIUS KASPARAITIS and the prospect FEDOR TJUTIN are out with knee injuries. . . . MIKE DUNHAM, the Rangers' No. 1 goaltender, did not make the trip because of a minor concussion.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

my prediction is sather steps down as coach and keenan is named the new coach. this has to end now.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Profet

If Keenan is named coach i may be reduced to tears...

Keenan is exactly OPPOSITE of what this team needs.

This team needs to cut its losses and start drafting players with the intention of building a core...Not drafting for trade bait.

Keenan is horrible with younger players and having him hear will pretty much guarantee the Rangers will continue to dwell in mediocrity for at least 2 more seasons.

Now I have no problem with rebuilding...but i do have a problem with throwing away 2 more seasons before rebuilding...

Old
01-25-2004, 12:18 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Meanwhile, center Bobby Holik was unequivocal when asked to give his assessment of the Rangers.

"I believe fundamentally we are the worst team in the National Hockey League," he said.
God bless Bobby Holik, the only person in the organization that can see clear through the bs. Lindros gets some props for his comments as well.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:20 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
If Keenan is named coach i may be reduced to tears...

Keenan is exactly OPPOSITE of what this team needs.

This team needs to cut its losses and start drafting players with the intention of building a core...Not drafting for trade bait.

Keenan is horrible with younger players and having him hear will pretty much guarantee the Rangers will continue to dwell in mediocrity for at least 2 more seasons.

Now I have no problem with rebuilding...but i do have a problem with throwing away 2 more seasons before rebuilding...
Keenan is credited for jump starting Bertuzzi, Pronger, Kovalev and his latest project Olli Jokinen. I don't see how he's terrible with young players. I think Keenan is what we need except I would prefer someone else to be our coach.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:21 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
God bless Bobby Holik, the only person in the organization that can see clear through the bs. Lindros gets some props for his comments as well.
When I heard the score tonight I tried to imagine what he would have to say, as usual he didn't disappoint.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:25 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
my prediction is sather steps down as coach and keenan is named the new coach. this has to end now.
Im all for that, but it really doesnt sound too realistic from Sather's point of view. Why would he hire Keenan, the great drill seargent that he is, when Sather has repeatedly stated this year that he doesnt believe in benchings (after promising accountability when taking over as coach)? Wouldnt it be easier if he just skipped the hiring Keenan part and benched the players himself?

Thats why I think Keenan and Sather would never co-exist. They have completely different views on how to coach a hockey team. If Keenan were to come here, he'd either have to take on the GM job as well or have somebody over him who he could co-exist with.

Old
01-25-2004, 08:49 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Yes good job by Lindros, now the second player to publically call for accountability.

Here's my question: where's the Mighty Captain? Why do I not hear him calling players out?

Old
01-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Laches

Quote:
Keenan is credited for jump starting Bertuzzi, Pronger, Kovalev and his latest project Olli Jokinen. I don't see how he's terrible with young players. I think Keenan is what we need except I would prefer someone else to be our coach.

---Jokinen is the only one of those players that Keenan can be accurately credit with. The others all hit their stride post-Keenan. Kovalev didn't really break out until he got to Pittsburgh. Bertuzzi grew into a top-flite power forward under Crawford. Pronger actually said in an interview once that while he played hard for Keenan because Keenan was such a miserable jerk, Quenville was the one who taught him how to be the player he is today.

Keenan has flopped in each and every one of his numerous post-Ranger jobs. Bringing him back would be another desperate attempt to re-create the past. It's been nearly a decade since '94, folks. Time to move on. We don't like signing big name free agents who haven't had a good season in recent memory, I have no idea why we'd want a coach who fits that description.

Old
01-25-2004, 10:28 AM
sickboy35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Yes good job by Lindros, now the second player to publically call for accountability.

Here's my question: where's the Mighty Captain? Why do I not hear him calling players out?

he'll just feed some more of the corporate line and say "when you have injuries" and so on!! this team is like a cow that needs to be put out to pasture! gun shot to the head? yeah i think so!

Old
01-25-2004, 11:07 AM
moosemessier

i agree - messier needs to start pointing fingers - including his own way. that is unacceptable. i like holik tho - never keeps it inside. thats good. rangers need a new coach and some damn defense. goalie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy35
he'll just feed some more of the corporate line and say "when you have injuries" and so on!! this team is like a cow that needs to be put out to pasture! gun shot to the head? yeah i think so!

Closed Thread