HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wayne Gretzky's Penalty Shot?

Old
01-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Squiffy
Victims, rn't we all

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Gretzky said even in his autobiography that he is not good at breakaways and that he always had problem with them. Shows only that also the gods are mortal.
Ya, said as best as he could figure, he over-thought them, to much time as opposed to just reacting.

R.I.P. Darryl buddy... it was too soon.. too soon
Squiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

shanahan should have been Yzerman, and Bourque should have been Gretzky. but oh well.

at least we got to see the Czech Russia game,Hasek played beyond any goalies head so why risk our hopes at the gold medal... use your best guys.

my order would have been

Lindros
Fleury
Gretzky
Yzerman
Sakic

i know coaches sometimes through a defenseman into the shootout. but why when you have the best forwards in the country? also it's too bad gretzky didn't make a comeback for olympic play in 2002 instead of being GM, him and lemieux still would have lit it up lol.

Last edited by Seanconn*: 10-06-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:36 PM
jcbio11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah, but it still seems strange to me that he wasn't an ace on penalty shots. He was the best player I've ever seen in terms of getting the goalie to bite/move.
It's probably like with Gaborik not being too good in shootouts. He is much more likely to score with a dman wrapped around him or on his tail than he is going in on a goalie all alone.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 04:39 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Even if he wasn't, I'd rather lose and not left the best player in the history of the game on the bench.

Theo Fleury was the first shooter.
Doesn't matter if the love child of Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky himself took that shot, this is prime Hasek we're talking about, best goalie to ever play the game, he was totally in Canada's head, nothing was getting past Hasek night.

Old
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Ignoramus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Doesn't matter if the love child of Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky himself took that shot, this is prime Hasek we're talking about, best goalie to ever play the game, he was totally in Canada's head, nothing was getting past Hasek night.
Even so... if it's the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, and you are down a run, you don't leave Babe f'ing Ruth sitting on the bench.

Ignoramus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Even so... if it's the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, and you are down a run, you don't leave Babe f'ing Ruth sitting on the bench.
Hm, well that was complete gibberish to me.

But I think I am correct in assuming you meant you don't sit your best player when everything is on the line.

Well guess what, it happens. Gaborik didn't go shoot last season vs Philly, Gretzky didn't go shoot back then. It's easy to look back now and say it was a mistake not playing Gretzky. If he had missed, we would be saying he should not have gone since it was a known fact he wasn't good at shootouts.

Old
10-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Dump and Chase
Hand of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
Hm, well that was complete gibberish to me.

But I think I am correct in assuming you meant you don't sit your best player when everything is on the line.

Well guess what, it happens. Gaborik didn't go shoot last season vs Philly, Gretzky didn't go shoot back then. It's easy to look back now and say it was a mistake not playing Gretzky. If he had missed, we would be saying he should not have gone since it was a known fact he wasn't good at shootouts.

No.

You give Gretzky the puck and you don't ever question that. Goal or no goal.

Dump and Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
In the days of the shootout it would have gotten exposed a little more. Like with Jagr towards the end. But he still had a nice career despite it.

Roomtemperature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 06:56 AM
BraveCanadian

Bit of a thread resurrection here but if I'm playing one game for everything I own, it goes to a shootout, I need a goal, and I have Wayne Gretzky in my lineup...

Seriously, how does anyone NOT have him shoot.

Even if breakaways are not his strong point, his weak points offensively are still better than most players best points. And you know he has that sense of timing to score big when it means the most.. I mean its Wayne Gretzky!

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 08:23 AM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post

You give Gretzky the puck and you don't ever question that. Goal or no goal.

This.

markrander87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:00 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Bit of a thread resurrection here but if I'm playing one game for everything I own, it goes to a shootout, I need a goal, and I have Wayne Gretzky in my lineup...

Seriously, how does anyone NOT have him shoot.

Even if breakaways are not his strong point, his weak points offensively are still better than most players best points. And you know he has that sense of timing to score big when it means the most.. I mean its Wayne Gretzky!
We are talking about Ray Bourque here. The one who had one of NHLs most accurate shots. Its not like they put Chris Dingman on the ice instead of Gretzky. People need to get over this.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:17 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
We are talking about Ray Bourque here. The one who had one of NHLs most accurate shots. Its not like they put Chris Dingman on the ice instead of Gretzky. People need to get over this.
I don't care who they take out for Gretzky to go in.. but you don't leave the greatest hockey player of all time on the bench when its crunch time.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Fail. We're talking about WAYNE GRETZKY. I mean, he wasn't even good at shootouts in general, but hell, it's WAYNE GRETZKY. Honestly, I think the Canadians would have won if they pulled Patrick Roy and replaced him with Gretzky for the shootout - not that Roy wasn't a great goaltender and not that Gretzky had any goaltending skills at all, but hell, it's WAYNE GRETZKY. Gretzky > God > reason.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 12:45 PM
jkrx

Quote:
I don't care who they take out for Gretzky to go in.. but you don't leave the greatest hockey player of all time on the bench when its crunch time.
Yes, the greatest player of all time way beyond his scoring days.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I vividly remember him going first and that being the only goal.
Correct. Jagr being the 4th shooter rung it off the post if you remember as well. Setting up (gulp) Shanahan as the final shooter while a much more dangerous sniper (Yzerman) could only watch. Mr. Crawford, have I thanked you recently for that?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 05:13 AM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
shanahan should have been Yzerman, and Bourque should have been Gretzky. but oh well.

at least we got to see the Czech Russia game,Hasek played beyond any goalies head so why risk our hopes at the gold medal... use your best guys.

my order would have been

Lindros
Fleury
Gretzky
Yzerman
Sakic

i know coaches sometimes through a defenseman into the shootout. but why when you have the best forwards in the country? also it's too bad gretzky didn't make a comeback for olympic play in 2002 instead of being GM, him and lemieux still would have lit it up lol.
Sakic was injured and in the press box. Apparantly, he was trying to relay info down to the team that he thought would help with the shootout. I remember him saying that to beat Hasek (which I believe he had done on a penalty shot in a regular season game), you have to skate in fast and then slow down as Hasek would back up quickly. Then you could shoot with less of the angle cut down.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 09:45 AM
SidGenoMario

Evgeni Malkin is (arguably) the most skilled offensive player in the world today, so my team should have him in every shootout, right? Well no, he's terrible. Meanwhile, Kris Letang is awesome.

Just because you're great offensively doesn't automatically mean you're great in the shootout. It shouldn't have been Gretzky. Are we still discussing this?

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:03 AM
revolverjgw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Evgeni Malkin is (arguably) the most skilled offensive player in the world today, so my team should have him in every shootout, right? Well no, he's terrible. Meanwhile, Kris Letang is awesome.

Just because you're great offensively doesn't automatically mean you're great in the shootout. It shouldn't have been Gretzky. Are we still discussing this?
It's not really about his skill level, most people know he generally wasn't great on penalty-shots despite his skill... but it's Gretzky, probably the most clutch, accomplished and decorated player ever. It's not like Canada had any renowned breakaway kings like Bure or Lemieux that were no-brainers and would take precedence over anyone no matter what. Gretzky was at least as dependable on paper as some of the guys that were chosen to shoot, and there was an intangible feeling that he had another big moment left in him.

After the Olympics, he was angry and fought his way up the scoring race like had he had something to prove after was, up until then, a season of apparent decline and disappointment. That's the hungry and driven Gretzky that should have gotten a chance.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 11:31 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post

Indeed. Dare to bring up the fact that Gretzky just wasn't good in the shootout and watch the outburst of adoration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Belvedere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump and Chase View Post
You give Gretzky the puck and you don't ever question that.
Quote:
Quote:
Just for the record: Gretzky IS the Great One in my book as well, but "you give him the puck and don't ever question it" when he's not good in shootouts, that's where deserved admiration turns into irrational worship, like Gretzky was some kind of superhuman savior and not just the best hockey forward in history, an unmatched playmaker, but a human being nevertheless.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:06 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
Sakic was injured and in the press box. Apparantly, he was trying to relay info down to the team that he thought would help with the shootout. I remember him saying that to beat Hasek (which I believe he had done on a penalty shot in a regular season game), you have to skate in fast and then slow down as Hasek would back up quickly. Then you could shoot with less of the angle cut down.
Well, that didn't work, haha. Watching that shootout, it looks like Lindros was the only guy out there who wasn't completely intimidated by Hasek. He was the only one who dictated the play, and he did it by coming in hard the whole way. And he beat Hasek but hit the post. For the other 4, it seems like they were reacting to Hasek, and not the other way around. The fact that shooters like Nieuwendyk and Shanahan ended up trying lame deke attempts is a testament to Hasek's telepathic mind-****ery.

Really could have used Sakic and Kariya in that shootout.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I'm surprised they didn't select Rob Zamuner to go on the shootout. It still stands today that Marc Crawford is an idiot who rode the coattails of a very loaded Colorado team. Since then, everything he has touched has become a failure. That Canadian team in Nagano was not even the best Canadian squad.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Here's the Canada/Czech Republic shootout in its entirety:

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Sens Rule

In watching the shootout again it seems they should have gone Bobby Clarke on Hasek. Send Lindros in as the first shooter and just have him skate into Hasek as fast and as hard as possible. Would have been the only way to beat him!

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 12:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

LOL @ the C on Lindros' chest when Gretzky was on the team.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
LOL @ the C on Lindros' chest when Gretzky was on the team.
Yeah I had forgotten about that until I watched the replay youtube a few minutes ago.

Passing down the torch, unfortunately Lindros was not the next one. I would have gone with Gretzky as the last shooter. I don't care how old he was and that he was never great at shootouts. Shanahan or Gretzky when everything counts on it I go with Gretzky. He is the greatest clutch performer I have ever seen play. I can forget how clutch he is because he is so great otherwise. But the chips are down and he comes up big. Game 7 vs Toronto in 1993. Canada Cup 1987. Taking the Rangers on his back for a couple of rounds after he was a fraction of his old self.

Look at him on the bench. He is the most competitive player, and he wanted to shoot.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote