HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wayne Gretzky's Penalty Shot?

Old
10-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Scott1980

vCash: 500
Gretzky said, "I would have been honoured to take the shot".

It took him some time, but I've always felt that the older he got, the better he was on breakaways. First few years, meh. It's ironic that a goal scoring slump propelled him to catch fire on breakaways.

The Islanders stopped Gretzky (goal scoring, not assists) in the last three games of the 81 SCQF. Then came the four game debacle in '83. Then the first three games of '84.

And then, game 4, TWO breakaway goals! For good measure, he scored the first goal of game 5 on a breakaway! I felt like, after that...now he has no weaknesses!

Scott1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 03:29 PM
shazariahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Yeah I had forgotten about that until I watched the replay youtube a few minutes ago.

Passing down the torch, unfortunately Lindros was not the next one. I would have gone with Gretzky as the last shooter. I don't care how old he was and that he was never great at shootouts. Shanahan or Gretzky when everything counts on it I go with Gretzky. He is the greatest clutch performer I have ever seen play. I can forget how clutch he is because he is so great otherwise. But the chips are down and he comes up big. Game 7 vs Toronto in 1993. Canada Cup 1987. Taking the Rangers on his back for a couple of rounds after he was a fraction of his old self.

Look at him on the bench. He is the most competitive player, and he wanted to shoot.
I couldn't have said it any better.

shazariahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Stray Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Yeah I had forgotten about that until I watched the replay youtube a few minutes ago.

Passing down the torch, unfortunately Lindros was not the next one. I would have gone with Gretzky as the last shooter. I don't care how old he was and that he was never great at shootouts. Shanahan or Gretzky when everything counts on it I go with Gretzky. He is the greatest clutch performer I have ever seen play. I can forget how clutch he is because he is so great otherwise. But the chips are down and he comes up big. Game 7 vs Toronto in 1993. Canada Cup 1987. Taking the Rangers on his back for a couple of rounds after he was a fraction of his old self.

Look at him on the bench. He is the most competitive player, and he wanted to shoot.
That's my feeling. For all his shortcomings on shootouts, I doubt Gretzky would have been intimidatedby Hasek. He'd have revelled in the challenge, as he did throughout his career.

I look at it this way: Crosby looked woeful in the Olympic final this year. Entering overtime, the odds on him scoring the GWG looked remote. But he found a way to make it happen. The best players so often find something extra in a tight spot.

Gretzky might not have scored given the chance, but to leave him unused was ludicrous.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Beetlebum*

if brodeur was in net you would of won.

Beetlebum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 08:27 AM
Theokritos

Crawford’s decision was reasonable:
It’s already been stated that Gretzky has always struggled in shootouts. After the loss against the Czechs he answered those who criticized Crawford: “My breakaway record over the years wouldn't really put me in a position where you'd expect me to succeed in that situation.”

Hasek beat Gretzky one month prior to the Olympics:
In the 1998 All-Star breakaway-competition, Team North America faced Team World, with Hasek in goal for Team World. North America’s record: Joe Sakic hit the crossbar, Scott Niedermayer shot wide, Brian Leetch was stopped by Hasek, Mark Recchi was stopped by Hasek, Theo Fleury was stopped by Hasek and – Wayne Gretzky was stopped by Hasek. (In the extra round, Sakic scored, but Hasek went on to stop Mike Modano, which won the competition for Team Europe.)

Nieuwendyk asked Gretzky for advise:
Crawford picked Fleury, Bourque, Nieuwendyk, Lindros and Shanahan for the shootout. While both Fleury and Bourque failed to score and Reichel put the Czechs in front, Joe Nieuwendyk turned to Gretzky for advise. In Gretzky’s own words: "Joe Nieuwendyk asked me four times what he should do on Hasek. Finally he said, ‘I guess you don't have an answer.’ Later I told him I was so nervous, I didn't have an answer.”

Gretzky wanted to shoot? It rather looks like Hasek was in his head.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Stray Wasp

I'd never heard that Nieuwendyk story before. Mind you, it presages Gretzky's lack of success as a coach.

Interesting that while both Fleury and Gretzky failed against Hasek at the All-Star comp, Crawford gave Theo the benefit of the doubt rather than 99.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2010, 11:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Crawford picked Fleury, Bourque, Nieuwendyk, Lindros and Shanahan for the shootout. While both Fleury and Bourque failed to score and Reichel put the Czechs in front, Joe Nieuwendyk turned to Gretzky for advise. In Gretzky’s own words: "Joe Nieuwendyk asked me four times what he should do on Hasek. Finally he said, ‘I guess you don't have an answer.’ Later I told him I was so nervous, I didn't have an answer.”
What's the source? Not that I don't believe you, but I find it very interesting and would like to read more.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What's the source? Not that I don't believe you, but I find it very interesting and would like to read more.
No offence taken.
Check out St. Petersburg Times (March 1, 1998) or USA Today (March 3, 1998) for the story, all available online ("Full Text") for $3.95 per Article.
Links to the Articles respectively the free previews:
St. Petersburg Times: (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/...L&pqatl=google)
USA Today: (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday...y&pqatl=google)

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 04:19 AM
the edler
Inimitable

why didn't trevor linden shoot?

he was in hasek's head

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Wasp View Post
That's my feeling. For all his shortcomings on shootouts, I doubt Gretzky would have been intimidatedby Hasek. He'd have revelled in the challenge, as he did throughout his career.

I look at it this way: Crosby looked woeful in the Olympic final this year. Entering overtime, the odds on him scoring the GWG looked remote. But he found a way to make it happen. The best players so often find something extra in a tight spot.

Gretzky might not have scored given the chance, but to leave him unused was ludicrous.
Except for when it's Maxime Talbot or Paul Henderson or all the various other non-stars who have scored at clutch moments? What evidence do you have that Crosby scored because it was overtime?

I think this comparison is ludicrous. I think with Gretzky we might have a point. You have the best goalie of all time at his peak out there and our team seems to be intimidated by him, so okay, send the veteran and best player of all time who won't be, even if he's past his prime and not the best at shootouts. I don't see how that has anything to do with Crosby and his softie.

Derick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's the Canada/Czech Republic shootout in its entirety:
I remember like yesterday how exciting that was. Too bad they didnt give Gretzky a shot.I`m pretty sure he would have buried one.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
tazzy19

Quote:

Gretzky wanted to shoot? It rather looks like Hasek was in his head.
What you fail to include us the rest of the interview where Gretzky said he was nervous "as a fan would be nervous" since he was no longer in control of the game's outcome. That is why he couldn't offer Nieuwendyk advice. He said for the first time he understood what it was like to be a fan.

tazzy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
LOL @ the C on Lindros' chest when Gretzky was on the team.
Pretty much this
That is how poorly run that hockey team was

Pretty sad actually

------

What about Gretzky's break away shootout challenge in one of his last ASG's?

Didn't he shelf it on Hasek?
I am having a hard time remembering.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 12:47 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I saw the one against Beaupre. Gretzky faked and shoveled a backhand into an open net. His moves were so subtle you could not really appreciate them on TV.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Saku11

Damn it, Youtube doesen`t have any Gretzky penalty shots.Would have liked to see what kind of moves he pulled.

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 03:08 PM
MadLuke

For me everything sound like revisionist history to me, the guy that I would have love to see in this shutout was much more Messier than Wayne, was very unhappy with the Primeau instead of Messier choice.

Messier IIRC, scored against Hasek in the all-stars competition in the shotout contest.

Wayne was not a great scorer in 1998 and for a couple of year's still a very good slapshot that could score, but in breakaway ? Better than Sakic/Fleury/Lindros/Yzerman/etc... ? Not sure.

MadLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Sens Rule

Hindsight is 20/20... And it took serious balls not to have Gretzky shoot because even today if Gretzky had not scored few would question the selection. He is Wayne Gretzky.

I say Gretzky should have shot. He is the biggest money player I have ever seen... And the only historical player that rivaled him all time for money is Rocket Richard. If you had a shoot out in 1960... When Richard was injured and on his last legs... You pick
Him no doubt over anyone on the Habs or even Gordie freaking Howe.

Gretzky when the chips were down was the greatest. The more pressure the more it mattered he raised his game. He raised the game that was already the best EVER.... In a money play... I take Gretzky. I take him over anyone else.

In a penalty shot... In a normal game... Gretzky thinks too much... But the bigger the game... The more it matters the less he thinks... The more he just freaking does Gretzky.

Historically even... As the coach... You go Gretzky-Hasek... It is just the right choice... Best vs best.

Crawford blew it... He out thought himself in the selection. He thought it out to much and did not select Gretzky.... He tried to be too smart.

Think if it... You are in an elimination game... You can write the name Gretzky on
A piece of paper.... You need to outthink yourself not to write down that name.

I saw Gretzky... Everyone saw him in
That game on that team. Screw Lindros... It is GRETZKY... No other name needs to be written down... 37 or 38 years old ... 20 goals on
The season... Don't matter... Like you pick Rocket or Orr... You just pick Gretzky. For 8 seconds in a shoot out. You think that 8 seconds or 6 seconds... Gretzky forgets it is 1998 and thinks it is 1983 or 1987.

Horrible coaching failure. All you have to see is Gretzky on the bench.... He would have scored. He would have... I know he would have.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 09:26 PM
MadLuke

He did not score one goal of the tournament IIRC, I would not have pick Gretzky over Lindros for this shot imo. But yeah, not taking him could also distract your team put more pressure on them so,

Fleury/Lindros/Yzerman/Wayne could have take a shot.

Old
01-19-2012, 05:35 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
He did not score one goal of the tournament IIRC, I would not have pick Gretzky over Lindros for this shot imo. But yeah, not taking him could also distract your team put more pressure on them so,

Fleury/Lindros/Yzerman/Wayne could have take a shot.
Lindros was actually Canada's best shooter there. He's the only one who didn't look intimidated by Hasek. Say what you want about Lindros, but you know he wasn't over-thinking it like a number of the other shooters. He came across centre like a bull in a china shop, went right after Hasek, and actually deked him out before hitting the post.

Sending Bourque was the inexcusable play. Who cares how good he was at hitting targets from a standstill in the allstar game, you've gotta send someone who actually has experience on breakaways (a forward).

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
MadLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
Sending Bourque was the inexcusable play. Who cares how good he was at hitting targets from a standstill in the allstar game, you've gotta send someone who actually has experience on breakaways (a forward).
Was not sure about Shanahan ether, Lindros and Fleury was the only two obvious choice.

Old
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
habscup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Here's the Canada/Czech Republic shootout in its entirety:
wow canada's shoters really sucked, bourque misses the net by a mile, shanahan takes himself out of a shooting angle, and lindros beats him clean but hits the post.

habscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:56 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadLuke View Post
Was not sure about Shanahan ether, Lindros and Fleury was the only two obvious choice.
Shanahan looked terrible there. You could tell Hasek was in his head. But I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Not that we didn't have a whole team full of great players to send out in the shootout, but Sakic, Kariya, and Lemieux would have all been excellent options if they were playing. Lemieux especially, as his reach and ability to pick the top corner would be pretty good against Hasek, who was essentially unbeatable down low during his prime.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 11:59 PM
nutbar

I seem to recall Gretzky was stopped by Peter Ing of the Leafs in 1991 on a penalty shot.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
I seem to recall Gretzky was stopped by Peter Ing of the Leafs in 1991 on a penalty shot.
You are correct. He did score a penalty shot goal in '84 against Don Beaupre.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Slapshooter

Quote:
That's interesting.

And even without that quote, it was obvious that Gretzky was no longer a decisive goal scoring threat at that point, especially in breakaway/shootout wise. Crawford made some odd decisions with shooters (mainly with Bourque), but benching Gretzky was not one of them. Hasek was likely in everyone's head and the game was pretty much over when the shootout began anyway.

Imo, arguments in this thread why Gretzky should have got a shot are mostly sentimental nonsense.

Slapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote