HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Wayne Gretzky's Penalty Shot?

Old
01-22-2012, 09:17 PM
tazzy19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
That's interesting.

And even without that quote, it was obvious that Gretzky was no longer a decisive goal scoring threat at that point, especially in breakaway/shootout wise. Crawford made some odd decisions with shooters (mainly with Bourque), but benching Gretzky was not one of them. Hasek was likely in everyone's head and the game was pretty much over when the shootout began anyway.

Imo, arguments in this thread why Gretzky should have got a shot are mostly sentimental nonsense.
Again, Gretzky said he didn't give Nieuwendyk advice simply because he was relegated to simply being a "fan" as he described it, and felt like he no longer had control over the game's outcome. He was nervous due to this reason, and this reason ONLY. Interestingly enough, Gretzky scored a fair number of breakaway goals that season.

tazzy19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
This brings up bad memories, I remember as a kid screaming at the TV, wondering why Gretzky didn't shoot.

Gretzky would of scored. No question.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 11:18 PM
tazzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital O TEETEE 613 View Post
This brings up bad memories, I remember as a kid screaming at the TV, wondering why Gretzky didn't shoot.

Gretzky would of scored. No question.
Exactly right. It's not really about how good Gretzky was on breakaways (make no mistake - he scored the most breakaway goals in history besides Lemieux), and it's not really about his goal scoring decline (he was still one of the goal leaders on his team). The real point is this: He was still the most CLUTCH player on his team, the most CLUTCH player in history, being forced to sit put during the most CLUTCH point in the game. It just didn't make sense. Gretzky would have pulled the rabbit out of the hat one last time just as he always had done in that situation. Probably would have gone in on Hasek, and surprised him with a slapshot to the top corner, just as he did in his last season in a game against Buffalo 1999.

Old
01-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy* View Post
There's a reason why slapshots don't work for penalty shots.

See Robert Reichel in 2003 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I believe Colby Armstrong got on for the Leafs as well (after almost falling)

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Yeah, but it still seems strange to me that he wasn't an ace on penalty shots. He was the best player I've ever seen in terms of getting the goalie to bite/move.
A goalie always has the advantage in a penaltyshot. I'm not so surprised.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
tazzy19

^^^ I also remember Gretzky, at the end of same season (after the Olympics), showcasing exactly what he would have done if he had been in the shootout. With less than a week left in the season, he went in on a breakaway against Montreal, and wound up with a slap shot from the top of the face-off circles. Top corner on Jocelyn Thibault. This goal gave him sole possession of 2nd overall in points, ahead of Peter Forsberg (whose dad had said Gretzky should retire during the Olympics) -- with only a week left in the season. It was as though Gretzky wanted to show the world that Team Canada made a mistake by not picking him with an exclamation mark to top it off. A 37 year old hockey player beating a 25 year old superstar with a week left in the season. On the Rangers no less! Incredible stuff.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshooter View Post
That's interesting.

And even without that quote, it was obvious that Gretzky was no longer a decisive goal scoring threat at that point, especially in breakaway/shootout wise. Crawford made some odd decisions with shooters (mainly with Bourque), but benching Gretzky was not one of them. Hasek was likely in everyone's head and the game was pretty much over when the shootout began anyway.

Imo, arguments in this thread why Gretzky should have got a shot are mostly sentimental nonsense.
I disagree based on clutchness and big money play. A penalty shot in the NHL regular season is NOT a shootout opportunity to win in the Olympics.

Gretzky is BY FAR the best money player I have ever seen.... After his regular season dominance ended he still was a monster for NYR in the playoffs.

He is not Mario on a breakaway. He is far past his prime. But he is the best player EVER... and the guy that is most Clutch EVER... or at least since the Rocket.

He is Wayne freaking Gretzky... Shanahan at his best... his very best can't hold Gretzky's jock at his worst.

If I have a HUGE game on the line.... and I can pick Wayne Gretzky to take a shootout chance... I look and see if Mario is available and if not... I write Gretzky on that paper. You think for 6 seconds Wayne Gretzky can't forget he is no longer 24 years old?

The longer and greater the hindsight the more fail it is not to choose Gretzky to shoot.

Pressure... pressure? Gretzky had pressure since he was 8 years old. Watch as all of them but Lindros fail to the pressure.

Think that Gretzky feels pressure with 10 million Canadians watching the hockey game? I think it makes him better.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote