HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

GDT: 01/10 Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Rangers 7PM MSG

Old
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
when it comes to matching. Sometimes Betts' line is out there 10+ minutes against top lines. Sometimes it's 3-5. On the road, often it's even less. The last game it was high because the Rangers were 'shorthanded' and Shanny wasn't 100%. Renney, not having a real creative bone in his body, went with what he thought was the most conservative route.

Tonight, as I stated elsewhere, I hope it's a bit different. I hope to not see Drury on a top line (wasn't Hossa stuck out there early in the last game and didn't he make a nice play on the only goal that line scored?). I also hope to see a bit less of the HBO line.
Hossa is on the top line tonight with Gomez and Jagr

Drury dropped down with Shanny on the LEFT and Moore on the right.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
The Hobo line? There's no way I could have been the first to say that.

Edit: That commercial was amazing.
Can't argue with you there. That is the hobo line.

Hossa on the 1st line How many chances is this guy going to get? I can bet my monthly income that he will get off the ice with ZERO points. I liked Drury on the top line. It's not like our 2nd line would or will produce anything offensively anyway.

I just got one wish for change of gameplan tonight: Put traffic in front of the net! Or wait, two wishes: Focus on the defensive frigging effort!

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:52 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Which the Rangers do not.
not arguing w/ you on that. We don't have the personnel to match lines.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
DontStepanMe

I have a feeling that we won't be seeing much of the HBO line tonight. I say this b/c I think that Holly and Orr will be in the box alot for fighting. Just have a feeling there will be 3 + fights tonight. Flyers play dirty and the Rangers are pissed they are playing badly.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:01 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
I have a feeling that we won't be seeing much of the HBO line tonight. I say this b/c I think that Holly and Orr will be in the box alot for fighting. Just have a feeling there will be 3 + fights tonight. Flyers play dirty and the Rangers are pissed they are playing badly.
I agree that this struggling Rangers team needs a game to rally around something, but don't go expecting anything like Shanny and Brashear at center ice like last December against the Caps. The Rangers were in a similar situation and Brashear took liberties against Jagr until finally Shanny gave the team something to rally around late in the 3rd period of a game they already had in the bag.

If memory serves, Karel (Carol) Rachunek missed on a shorthanded penalty shot against Kolzig early in that game.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 02:03 PM
94now

Quote:
when it comes to matching. Sometimes Betts' line is out there 10+ minutes against top lines. Sometimes it's 3-5. On the road, often it's even less. The last game it was high because the Rangers were 'shorthanded' and Shanny wasn't 100%. Renney, not having a real creative bone in his body, went with what he thought was the most conservative route.

Tonight, as I stated elsewhere, I hope it's a bit different. I hope to not see Drury on a top line (wasn't Hossa stuck out there early in the last game and didn't he make a nice play on the only goal that line scored?). I also hope to see a bit less of the HBO line.
Last game HBO was our second line. We simply didn't have 3rd and 4th as a lines. I agree, tonight there will be less time for Betts as Drury's line will contribute more, but I predict actual parity in in time for both. Dubi's line can only be put out with best D pairing against another 4th line. Calling Dubibski 's line 3rd is ridiculous. It is typical 4th line with above average centre and undersized wings. The weakest of all. Dubi and Pru will see PP time. That is the only purpose for them tonite.
We will win. Why? I guess we're due. How about that for the answer?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortUWary View Post
I agree that this struggling Rangers team needs a game to rally around something, but don't go expecting anything like Shanny and Brashear at center ice like last December against the Caps. The Rangers were in a similar situation and Brashear took liberties against Jagr until finally Shanny gave the team something to rally around late in the 3rd period of a game they already had in the bag.

If memory serves, Karel (Carol) Rachunek missed on a shorthanded penalty shot against Kolzig early in that game.
I didn't mention Shanny at all. I think Orr will fight twice and Holly once or twice. Maybe even Dubi gets in a fight. Maybe struds as well. I just think that this game will have a bunch of fights.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
94now

Quote:
Orr wont fight. He is too valuable now to waste in the box. Strudwick will be there for it.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Last game HBO was our second line. We simply didn't have 3rd and 4th as a lines. I agree, tonight there will be less time for Betts as Drury's line will contribute more, but I predict actual parity in in time for both. Dubi's line can only be put out with best D pairing against another 4th line. Calling Dubibski 's line 3rd is ridiculous. It is typical 4th line with above average centre and undersized wings. The weakest of all. Dubi and Pru will see PP time. That is the only purpose for them tonite.
We will win. Why? I guess we're due. How about that for the answer?
Boy I was waiting for you to jump in. Actually the 4th line was our #1 line in the first period. Love your reasoning though as always.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Orr wont fight. He is too valuable now to waste in the box. Strudwick will be there for it.
Orr's value is in fighting and sticking up for teamates. If we get roughed up and he doesn't fight i'll be pissed at him.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:07 PM
rayearth

Quote:
Cote for some bizarre reason seems to like getting his fight in immediately so expect a Cote-Orr match within the first 3-4 minutes. The 2 of them had a great one last time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKg7xWkRwvc

Last edited by rayearth: 01-10-2008 at 02:14 PM.
rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Fletch

They are due...

but I will add that Prucha will not see PP time. He hasn't in a while. Hopefully ice time will be dictated by how players are going and how the game is going though. In that case, it should be tough to predict.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
94now

If I was Renny, I'd doubleshift Jagr.

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Prucha-Dubi-Jagr

Old
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Quote:
I didn't mention Shanny at all. I think Orr will fight twice and Holly once or twice. Maybe even Dubi gets in a fight. Maybe struds as well. I just think that this game will have a bunch of fights.
Relax, I never said you mentioned Shanny. I agree that this game is a potential powder keg with the possibility of a few scraps. I was drawing a comparison to a game last year that the team rallied around with a meaningful fight. While they definitely need something similar to occur, which you brought up due to them playing so poorly, my point was not to expect anything remotely close to that parallel that occurred 12 months ago. Definitely not putting words in your mouth... Just trying to make a point.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 02:13 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
If I was Renny, I'd doubleshift Jagr.

Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Prucha-Dubi-Jagr
so who wouldn't you be playing? Sorry but I'm getting confused w/ what the real lines will be for tonight. Renney and the injuries are rattling my brain.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
94now

Quote:
so who wouldn't you be playing? Sorry but I'm getting confused w/ what the real lines will be for tonight. Renney and the injuries are rattling my brain.
Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Moore
Hollweg-Betts-Orr
Prucha-Dubinski-Dawes

That would be either Dawes or Prucha. Both are LW.

Orr will not fight. No one fights at will nowadays. It is always coach that sends a goon out. That is why NHL penalizes coachfor fighting related incidents. Renney will not waste his key player (just don't faint!) Colton Orr to sit in the box for whole 5 minutes. He will specifically instruct him to back off. The only way to get Orr drop the gloves would be to instigate.

Old
01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Hossa-Gomez-Jagr
Shanahan-Drury-Moore
Hollweg-Betts-Orr
Prucha-Dubinski-Dawes

That would be either Dawes or Prucha. Both are LW.

Orr will not fight. No one fights at will nowadays. It is always coach that sends a goon out. That is why NHL penalizes coachfor fighting related incidents. Renney will not waste his key player (just don't faint!) Colton Orr to sit in the box for whole 5 minutes. He will specifically instruct him to back off. The only way to get Orr drop the gloves would be to instigate.
Well, we'll see. I'm going to stick by my gut feeling and say Orr will. It should be a good game no matter what though. That second line is going to be interesting to watch. Especially since Shanny is playing his real position. (played lw for about 17 years) not RW as Renny has been using him.

It would be interesting if at the end of the game Renney tries to us 3 lines and creates a 2nd line of Shanny-Dubi-Drury as Drury used to play RW. That's if we are losing. Actually come to think of it I would like to see them try that combo out to start the game as well. Moore can center the third line.

Old
01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Fletch

That's funny...

Orr, a key player. Just to put things into perspective, Orr is on pace for a -23. Not sure if that's very good, even for a guy going against a top line. I'll continue to say that there must be better options for those minutes.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Orr, a key player. Just to put things into perspective, Orr is on pace for a -23. Not sure if that's very good, even for a guy going against a top line. I'll continue to say that there must be better options for those minutes.
I would agree with "some of those minutes". Just let him be a normal 4th liner when he skates. However, also think there has got to be better options for any minutes played by the likes of Prucha, Hossa and Cally (at least that one was taken care of).

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Flyers are gonna beat up on the Rangers pretty bad.

5-1 beating.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:48 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Gagne is back for the Flyers seems like he's been gone forever.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
Flyers are gonna beat up on the Rangers pretty bad.

5-1 beating.
Rangers are 7-1-0 against divisional teams on home ice. I wouldn't be so negative about tonight.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
If that's the case, I'm going to put the television on mute so I don't have to keep hearing Micheletti say "yeah, he's a tough goy", or "boy, [enter player name] is a tough goy, a very tough goy."

Can't stand that crap. Everyone is a tough "goy" according to Micheletti.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
ThirdEye

How many freaking chances is Hossa going to get on the first line. Is Renney really this incompetent?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:31 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
How many freaking chances is Hossa going to get on the first line. Is Renney really this incompetent?

I dont know why but when i read this i laughed pretty hard.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote