HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Paraphrasing Portzline: Our roster is full of pansies

Old
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Paraphrasing Portzline: Our roster is full of pansies

We're discussing this in a couple places and I think it deserves its own thread.

The firestarter, Aaron Portzline, has an article here, where he says:

Quote:
The most recent come-out-of-my-chair moment happened during the St. Louis game on Tuesday, when Nikolai Zherdev was run over by Blues forward David Backes. I wasn't at the game; Tom Reed covered. But, in this case, that's irrelevant. The hit wasn't absolutely filthy. If fact, it was legal. No penalty was called. But that, too, is irrelevant.

If a real NHL club couldn't get to Backes, Paul Kariya would have been leveled. Or Andy MacDonald. Or Brad Boyes. Or Keith Tkachuk. Somebody would have paid.

Instead, nobody did.
Discuss.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 09:45 AM
FiveHole23

Im not sure if they are pansies, I just think they don't care enough.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 09:48 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Zowie Ar-too.... aren't you the guy who used to wail against the photos of scantily clad Ice Tarts?

Ok, I'll bite...
No we aren't. It was "just one game." Friday night we get revenge (I hope or you're right).

Note to Mods: this is a legit thread, really.
Why? Because Hitch himself said on Wed that they're evaluating who can step up their game and play well on the road, aka, "who the road pansies are."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM
BluejacketNut

I thought the same thing about the hit....no one took exception, even if Z was admiring his pass and the hit was semi clean (there was knee contact, but it wasnt like he went out of his way to stick his knee out), exceptions should still be taken even on semi clean hits on your stars. Good thing we've got JoJo

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
We're discussing this in a couple places and I think it deserves its own thread.

The firestarter, Aaron Portzline, has an article here, where he says:

Discuss.
He called out Malhotra and Chimera specifically....he could have added Vyborny but probably didn't want to upset everyone. Nash has been known to hit at times but not enough... I have no explaination other than it's always been relatively soft in Nationwide, the Blue Jackets are a bunch of nice guys I guess.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Zowie Ar-too.... aren't you the guy who used to wail against the photos of scantily clad Ice Tarts?

Ok, I'll bite...
No we aren't. It was "just one game." Friday night we get revenge (I hope or you're right).

Note to Mods: this is a legit thread, really.
Why? Because Hitch himself said on Wed that they're evaluating who can step up their game and play well on the road, aka, "who the road pansies are."
I'm not stating it as my opinion, just that that's what I gleaned from the article. Honestly, I'd rather they were pansies than this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:00 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
He called out Malhotra and Chimera specifically....he could have added Vyborny but probably didn't want to upset everyone. Nash has been known to hit at times but not enough... I have no explaination other than it's always been relatively soft in Nationwide, the Blue Jackets are a bunch of nice guys I guess.
Who hasn't coach called out!!

After a year under Hitch, this team still doesn't have an identity (which he touts as important). He says "we're tough to play against" but how much of that is still wishful thinking? We're schizophrenic about HITTING. Some nights we do, others we don't. The close 1 goal losses have recently turned into 2 goal losses.

But I'm still going to give Hitch a pass.... he's stuck with the roster he's been handed. We all knew that going into this season. Nothing new here ...until Howson does his job.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:01 AM
FiveHole23

I agree.. But I really think they dont care.

Collect the check go home...We should tell them they get a bonus if they make the playoffs maybe then they might try.

FiveHole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:09 AM
213 Sentinel

It's funny how much the blog made me reflect on just how much I'd accepted their lack of toughness, to the point that I just considered it part of the team's tapestry and make-up rather than an actual issue. Shame on me and them for allowing that to happen.

Hockey's a tough sport to coach, but aren't there things a coach can do during practice and over a season to ingrain a culture of hitting? Is it too much to expect it to take root over one season? I honestly don't know the answer to that. One likes to believe that, as professionals, if a team of players is told more hits need to come they will comply more or less as a team and do it, but I understand that may be a naive viewpoint.

In any case, a team that won't take the opportunities to make hits that are handed to them, as outlined in Portz's blog, shouldn't be allowed into the playoffs. They'd just embarrass themselves and their town. Lord knows, they've done enough of that for six regular seasons without doing it in the post-season.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:19 AM
BluejacketNut

The hitting thing is something that baffles me also. When we come out and hit, we can be a very good team. I see guys pass up on hits all the time, I can only think its the players.....thats obvious with Vyborny and Hainsey, 2 of our softest players (I know Feds is soft, but he's like 50 or something?). Vybes just refuses to hit and that is part of Hitch's game plan, so I wouldnt be surprised to see him moved or not resigned. Hainsey is just a puss on the ice, plain and simple

BluejacketNut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJrumble View Post
I believe it was King Julian who said "They're just... a bunch... of PANISES!"

(Parents of youngsters can explain it to you.)

Old
01-10-2008, 10:36 AM
LaCosta Nostra

Players that are playing like girls and should not be called men:

Chimera
Malhotra
Vyborny
Klesla (half a girl lately)
Fedorov

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:50 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

I agreed with Portzy for the most part. I disagreed about Nash, that is not his role. I really don't want to see Nash banging everyone in site, he could get hurt. He's a scorer not a checker but will play physical (remember his fight with Jim Vandermeer). He was dead-on about Manny and Chimmer. Expect tomorrows game to be VERY physical.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
pipe dreams

agree with all Portzy said
I have noticed over time when Nash is crushing guys we win
all leaders need to step up Nash is no exception

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:05 AM
5StringBuzz

The whole thing about the lack of hitting, the lack of standing up for our guys are old news for this franchise. I'm sick of it. I hate the feeling of knowing that when someone levels one of our guys -- clean or not -- there's maybe a 25% chance someone/anyone will respond. It's demoralizing for me as a fan. I think it's got to be demoralizing for at least some of the guys on the bench. They probably all feel like they're on their own out there, and they shouldn't be.

I'm glad to see some guys called out by name, but that just validates what a lot of us had been thinking for a long time. Putting their names in a blog probably isn't the ticket to fixing the problem. If those guys don't know their game is inadequate in terms of toughness, or if they know it and refuse to fix it, then they're either too stupid or too lazy, and we need to be rid of them. Hitch has been here for more than a year now, so if this part of his coaching philosophy hasn't caught on with some of these guys, it's time for Howson to do something about it.

The Columbus Lady Byngs... Heck, I'll bet the good Lady was tougher than some of these feebs. Time to break out the pink avis?

5StringBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
I agreed with Portzy for the most part. I disagreed about Nash, that is not his role. I really don't want to see Nash banging everyone in site, he could get hurt. He's a scorer not a checker but will play physical (remember his fight with Jim Vandermeer). He was dead-on about Manny and Chimmer. Expect tomorrows game to be VERY physical.
You're right. It's not his role, it's everyone's role. Hitch's mantra is "everyone checks, everyone scores". This is one of the core values of his system. While I don't want Nash fighting on a nightly basis, he could throw his body around more. He's less likely to get hurt delivering a hit than fighting.

In fact, I've noticed he's picked his hitting up in recent games. Still not to where it should be IMHO but he's getting better.

Everyone has talked about Boll making Shelly redundant. I'm starting to think Boll makes Chimmer redundant. Boll can hit, score, has decent speed, is younger, is cheaper, and "wants it" a whole lot more than Chimmer seems to.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Who hasn't coach called out!!

After a year under Hitch, this team still doesn't have an identity (which he touts as important). He says "we're tough to play against" but how much of that is still wishful thinking? We're schizophrenic about HITTING. Some nights we do, others we don't. The close 1 goal losses have recently turned into 2 goal losses.

But I'm still going to give Hitch a pass.... he's stuck with the roster he's been handed. We all knew that going into this season. Nothing new here ...until Howson does his job.
Hitch has, I was referring to Aaron.... as for Hitch, he gets a pass from me to. He is the one thing we have that represents big six hockey, and he is a winner if he has the players.

In a general sense, the Jackets need an organizational cause of some sort, a central theme to rally around as a team. It's more than an idenity problem, I don't think they have trust in each other yet. Had they been able to make the playoffs or make a run for the cup in year four or five I think we would see a different team.

As of now they still don't believe in themselves, they can play well at times but giving up can snowball without that cause to rally around... rant over.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:17 AM
cbj21

Same thing happened when Novotny(think it was him) was leveled some games ago, nobody did anything, its annoying like hell, so indeed they are big pansies. Its getting embarrassing to watch.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Nordique

My question back to Portzline would be, "Was the retribution, and 17 penalty minutes incurred on Adam Foote in the Tootoo situation a "smart" play?" Because that hit and Backes hit were very similar, and I'm of the opinion that the Foote retribution, more than any other development that night in Nashville, cost us that game.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:37 AM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

The Meanings of Flowers

Our Jackets, our neverending source of daffodils (deceiptful hopes) and yellow water lilies (growing indifference).

'sbout time to ice some players that CAN and WILL deliver nightly bouquets of "Kiss My Lily White Asters". (TM by ScreamingWild )

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I posted this in one of the other threads so I am going to paste it here rather than add a whole new post.

Quote:
I am so glad someone from the media took this upon himself to point out.

If you remember, earlier in the season, after he got off to his hot start, I was raving about the lack of a response from the Jackets to the continual running of Pascal Leclaire.

The only guy that seemed to respond was Freddie No, who came in and started banging any opposing player that even looked like he was going to get in his crease.

I was absolutely incensed at the fact that no Jacket player had the balls to take out Ryan Smyth, who was the worst of the bunch. Star player or not, Smyth ran Pazzy with impunity and should have paid. Foote eventually roughed him up a tad, but it was too little too late.

Since then, just like what happened on Tuesday, I just shake my head at the tolerance our players show for this crap.

It aint gonna change till the people who let this stuff go are gone.
Quote:
And another thing:

The Jackets are talking about calling up Brassard. Being that he is a much talked about prospect, once here every goon, enforcer, agitator, heavy hitter, cheap shot artist (Tootoo) is going to be taking shots at him.

The rest of this GD team better be ready to respond to this!!

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Gomez22

FINALLY!!! The local media calls 'em out......

Thank you, Mr. Portzline. No truer words have sounded in Jacket-Land and I can only hope that this really wakes these guys up. I was beginning to wonder when someone of some importance might question their 'manhood' in a public way.

Now it's time to see if they have any response to this.

Gomez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbj21 View Post
Same thing happened when Novotny(think it was him) was leveled some games ago, nobody did anything, its annoying like hell, so indeed they are big pansies. Its getting embarrassing to watch.
Your right, nobody did anything *that* game. Actually Boll did do something the next time the team played Minny when he fought Voros for that hit.. Similar to how Boll had to answer to Moen after his hit on him the next time they played.

Portzline is bang on though (and so are you). The only guy on this team who takes a somewhat regular shift making any kind of "payments" is Jared Boll. Adam Foote did a little bit of that when he went after Tootoo and has played more physical lately. So one guy, maybe two. Unnacceptable.

I don't buy that about Nash getting a "by" so to speak. He's played really soft lately as well. No reason he can't hit just like everyone else. Guys is 6'2" over 200 lbs - play like it.

Last edited by X0ssbar: 01-10-2008 at 12:43 PM.
X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
C'mon, dude, if you're going to point to a fight that proves your guy is tough (even though he's being outhit by everyone on the team aside from Russell) - at least pick a fight that happened during an actual game and not a fight that happened after the horn in a home win.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 12:29 PM
blahblah

Meh.

Our enforcer plays 3 mintutes a game, I'm sure Shelly would love to mix it up. OKT is out, he was pretty decent at that. We don't protect our goalie a whole lot either.

Foote is the only guy on defense that's likley going to do anything and the forwards that probably should be doing stuff like this, aren't. A guy like Chimera should be in it a lot more then what he is.

We do have some larger, more physical type players that really should be protecting our whole 3 stars. Hopefully we start to turn over this roster fairly soon.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote