HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paraphrasing Portzline: Our roster is full of pansies

Old
01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Pluckfur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
We all like rough hockey...
But should we expect it from a team that has as many INJURIES as we have?

How many more CONCUSSIONS and INJURIES can this line up sustain ...and still have a shot at the playoffs? We don't have the depth or talent to play rough. We have to play smarter.

If this team were scoring a little more, we wouldn't even be talking about this subject.
JF, c'mon ... how many injuries and concussions can you think of that have been the result of a player finishing a check or dishing a hit? It's better (safer and less painful) to be on the giving end of a hit than it is on the receiving end. It's not about playing "rough" - it's about playing tough. Smart? YES. Discrimination and smarts and imposing your will - picking your shots, picking your place, picking your time- in scoring and hitting . Hitting and checking is part of hockey and it's always going to be part of hockey. You might as well have a team who can do it both well and with vigor.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Aging Goalie

Funny thing is that I don't remember the injuries taking a toll until we stopped playing that way in the start of the season. Come to think of it that is when we started losing more often too. Could these be linked? Surely not. If that were the case it would be entirely too easy to figure out what has to happen for us to start winning again. I have to be making this oversimplified.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
LaCosta Nostra

You're probably less likely to get injuries if you are agressive from a physical standpoint. How many of our injuries are from other teams going after our players resulting in knee injuries (Malhotra), concussions (Duvie, Murray), leg injuries (Zherdev) and on and on. Maybe if the guys showed some balls, then we wouldn't be having some of these injuries because other teams wouldn't be teeing us up so often.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Grouchy

Send a message via Yahoo to Grouchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
Funny thing is that I don't remember the injuries taking a toll until we stopped playing that way in the start of the season. Come to think of it that is when we started losing more often too. Could these be linked? Surely not. If that were the case it would be entirely too easy to figure out what has to happen for us to start winning again. I have to be making this oversimplified.
Or as I mentioned in my post. Maybe the team isn't capable of sustaining that level of physical play.

And if we can't learn to play physical, intense hockey right now then how in the h-e-double hockey sticks do we expect to do anything when we eventually do get to the playoffs; where the level of physical and intense play doubles or triples?

Grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy View Post
Or as I mentioned in my post. Maybe the team isn't capable of sustaining that level of physical play.

And if we can't learn to play physical, intense hockey right now then how in the h-e-double hockey sticks do we expect to do anything when we eventually do get to the playoffs; where the level of physical and intense play doubles or triples?
I'm not really buying it. Injuries were not running rampant and we were winning. We change styles injuries happen and we start losing. Seems pretty simple to me. Hit or be hit.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Kev22

Love the honesty out of Portzline, it was actually refreshing. This has been a pretty common theme since the inception of the franchise. Unfortunately the truth hits where it hurts.

Couldn't agree more that if this team has any designs on the playoffs, they better learn to play physical, intense hockey or it will be 4 and done for our first trip to the post season.

Kev22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Couldn't agree more that if this team has any designs on the playoffs, they better learn to play physical, intense hockey or it will be 4 and done for our first trip to the post season.
Especially since we have no offense, about all we can rely on is defense, some good goaltending and a physical team. 2 out of 3 ain't going to cut it.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:54 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Brilliant piece by Portzline, probably the best thing I've read by a Dispatch sports writer...well, ever.

It's about time people start naming the names of the "passengers" on this squad.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:57 PM
The Subdude

"On a real NHL club, Backes would have paid. He would paid quickly and dearly. He would have been targeted -- right or wrong -- the rest of the game. The message has to be simple: "Zherdev is one of our guys ... don't touch."

Zherdev deserves this much, especially after the turn-around he's had this season. When he gets drilled and nobody responds, it sends a very bad message, both in the room and around the league.

Good to see someone finally, officially, in public, call it like it is. Particularly refreshing, since the Dispatch has historically been easy on the Jackets, for obvious 'relationship' reasons.

Portzline was spot on, naming names like Chimera, Malhotra . . . particularly since he cited examples of their "pansyness." At least I now know that I'm not alone when I watch the games, and see such poor demonstrations of what is supposed to be NHL Hockey. And Klesla . . . ah, forget it. I'll piss too many of you off, and I enjoy your company too much . . .

Sure this version of the Jackets is vastly improved. We have earned some respect around the league. But I don't believe it's the kind of respect that we, as hard core fans, desire. Nor is it the respect we were promised - as a tough team to play against and a team that finishes its checks. Instead, I believe the word on the CBJ is probably something more like: "Don't take them too lightly, or they have the ability to burn you." The improved respect is nice, but just not quite what we need.

All said above, I remain excited about tomorrow night's game. I am hopeful that the team has gotten wind of Portzline's comments, and have had a chance to assess their abysmal performance Tuesday evening. If this fails to motivate the team into playing an upbeat, hard-hitting game against the Blues, then I'm at a loss as to determining what will.

I have a feeling that we'll see a rejuvenated effort, and hopefully, the Blues will depart Columbus with some "black and blue."

The Subdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:10 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
JF, c'mon ... how many injuries and concussions can you think of that have been the result of a player finishing a check or dishing a hit? It's better (safer and less painful) to be on the giving end of a hit than it is on the receiving end. It's not about playing "rough" - it's about playing tough. Smart? YES. Discrimination and smarts and imposing your will - picking your shots, picking your place, picking your time- in scoring and hitting . Hitting and checking is part of hockey and it's always going to be part of hockey. You might as well have a team who can do it both well and with vigor.
You're missing the point pluck... People are saying we need to go out and hit guys, play harder and retaliate more. But the problem with that is "what goes around comes around." And we just don't have the DEPTH RIGHT NOW to afford a more physical style, no matter when you "pick" your place and time -as you say. I wish it weren't so, but we ARE fragile right now.

When Z went down, if he doesn't get back up, the season is O-V-E-R.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
In tribute to a post directly relevent to this thread, and a poster AP has publically stated to be an "all-star" fan, I quote Linda K.

Quote:
Wow, let a girl sleep in a little and look what happens!

Well, I swore I wasn't even going to bother posting any more comments and I swore I was pretty much done with the Jackets for the season, but I will offer a few comments.

Aaron, I couldn't agree with you more in your comments, but I also think the issue is larger than just "toughness." I think it's a matter of talent level.

Since I've been here, I've tried to love these Jackets. I even overlooked the fact that they weren't the greatest skaters, lacked speed and some of the very basic hockey skills. But enough, is enough.

I have been frustrated by a central Ohio phenomena where fans, because they know the players names, and faces and jersey numbers, and because they see their names in the paper everyday, assume that they are good. It just doesn't happen that way folks. And it's certainly never been the case with the Blue Jackets.

Yes, it's good that someone in the media finally had the nerve to name names. And I'm sure it's not going to be comfortable the next time you have to walk in that dressing room. But it's time the fans knew that with only a few exceptions, most of your beloved Blue Jackets don't possess the skills to be in the NHL.

Case in point: when Michael Peca went on the market, the Blue Jackets looked at him as a potential linemate of Nash on the #1 line. The New York Rangers, and the rest of the league, looked at him as a 3rd liner at best. Then, the rest of the league was smart enough to back off, and the CBJ dove right in.

Oh, look how I've rambled.

Put quite simply, it's hard to blame players, when they're in over their heads. They could play a great game and still get beat 6-1. What's sad is that it's become obvious that ownership and management are also in way over their heads. Now, there's some names for you, McConnell, Priest and Howson. Though I think Howson is another symptom of the problem, hired more for what he wouldn't do than what he'd do.

Anyway, thanks for the mention Aaron. I'll check in from time to time, but I really think it's time for me to start thinking about my annual trip to the Masters, hockey season is over around here.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

This first started to really bother me after Tootoo had that cheap interference shot on Hejda. I mentioned this in athoer thread. But Then we gave him space to score? Opponents thinking we're a soft team have the advantage before anyone even steps on the ice.

The only person to step up after Tootoo's hit was Zherdev.

We should run a few shifts just to intimidate. Manny, Fritsche, Boll, Klesla, Chimmer, etc all need to step it up physically. I'm excited to see Methot play and see what he adds. More than cycling and keeping the puck in the offensive zone, I wouldn't mind comming out the gates slamming when someone tries to get into our zone instead of just weakly attempting to knock them off the puck. I think once we have that intimidation factor, we'll be able to cycle and keep it in the offensive zone. And that forecheck that made us so succesful in October seems to have faded away.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Straight Jacket

Quote:
You're missing the point pluck... People are saying we need to go out and hit guys, play harder and retaliate more. But the problem with that is "what goes around comes around." And we just don't have the DEPTH RIGHT NOW to afford a more physical style, no matter when you "pick" your place and time -as you say. I wish it weren't so, but we ARE fragile right now.

We don't have the depth NOT to hit people. We just have the mentality. And what would we have to lose, maybe not making the playoffs for once????

Straight Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Wait a minute Portzline never used the word pansy or pansies.
But after a quick look at the comments, I know who DID say it.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

When can we as fans take the nipple off the bottle we feed Rick Nash? He's a big boy and can take care of himself. Jarome Iginla is arguably the best player in the league this year and he doesn't skate around the ice in a diaper. He may only have 2 fighting majors this year but he's not afraid to hit, play with some grit, or actually be a leader on the ice.

The CBJ skate around the ice like they just got their nails done and don't want anything to mess them up. Very rarely have I seen them play with the grit that we were promised during training camp.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:

JF, I'm not missing the point and I know that people are saying we need "to go out and hit guys, play harder and retaliate" - and I'm agreeing with them.

And, Z did go down. No one retaliating/sending a message to Mr. Backes didn't help Z or our team or our point total. Right? It was the WRONG response. Backes didn't think twice about slamming his leg between Z's skates ... and while that is bad enough, the fact that no one on the Jackets made him REGRET doing it is even worse.

Z and Nash have about the same number of points and the same number of hits. Both of them need to be more physical. However, Z isn't the same kind of specimen that Nash is and I expect more/different things from Nash than I do Z on the physical plane. Z's a sleek and skilled Arabian while Nash is a plow horse. Each guy should bring the same energy, determination, desire to a game ... the kind of plays I expect them to make are the only difference I'll allow for.

Old
01-10-2008, 10:40 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Can I just say that that post by "Linda K" is complete crap?

This part really got me: "I have been frustrated by a central Ohio phenomena where fans, because they know the players names, and faces and jersey numbers, and because they see their names in the paper everyday, assume that they are good."

Who the hell are these people she's talking about? She proclaims she's "ready for the annual trip to the Masters, hockey season is over around here", which can only lead me to believe she doesn't even live in "central Ohio"...so, in turn, I find it hard to believe she has her finger on the pulse of the Jackets fans in central Ohio.

She seems stuck in a 2001-2002 haze with the comment "But it's time the fans knew that with only a few exceptions, most of your beloved Blue Jackets don't possess the skills to be in the NHL." I would say exactly none of the Jackets on the current roster "don't possess the skills to be in the NHL", with possibly one exception.

It seems trendy to throw around terms like "trash" in terms of some of the grinders on our team, but the bottom line is that they ARE in the NHL, and wouldn't be here if they weren't capable. Even our "garbage" gets picked up by other teams (Beech). Are other teams more talented? Of course. But our group of guys certainly belongs in this league.

And what exactly has Howson done (or not done) to prove that he's in over his head?

I'm as pissed as anyone about the Jackets' soft play, but I'm not going to go so far as to call guys out as not capable of playing in the NHL.

DJAnimosity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
JF, I'm not missing the point and I know that people are saying we need "to go out and hit guys, play harder and retaliate" - and I'm agreeing with them.

And, Z did go down. No one retaliating/sending a message to Mr. Backes didn't help Z or our team or our point total. Right? It was the WRONG response. Backes didn't think twice about slamming his leg between Z's skates ... and while that is bad enough, the fact that no one on the Jackets made him REGRET doing it is even worse.

Z and Nash have about the same number of points and the same number of hits. Both of them need to be more physical. However, Z isn't the same kind of specimen that Nash is and I expect more/different things from Nash than I do Z on the physical plane. Z's a sleek and skilled Arabian while Nash is a plow horse. Each guy should bring the same energy, determination, desire to a game ... the kind of plays I expect them to make are the only difference I'll allow for.
I'd like to see them play harder too, but you and the other troglodytes are too focused on retaliation. It's not in our guys to play like that. They've shown that. Nobody is scared of Nash and Little Vybo.

I'd like to see them "being harder to play against" ...as in "puck control, tough D, crashing the net, and making them pay by bagging a few more goals."

You want respect? Win the game by outscoring your opponents. Until we're doing the things to win the game, retaliation is for chumps and losers.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
I'd like to see them play harder too, but what you and the other troglydites are focused on retaliation. It's not in our guys to play like that. They've shown that. Nobody is scared of Nash and Little Vybo.

I'd like to see them "being harder to play against" ...as in "puck control, tough D, crashing the net, and making them pay by bag a few more goals."

You want respect? Win the game by outscoring your opponents. Until we're doing the things to win the game, retaliation is for chumps and losers.
Well said, lovebug heh.

Edit: well, c'mon, you probably knew I was going to edit. I wanted to highlight the last part of your post and make a point of distinction. I agree that "retaliation is for chumps and losers" when it's done by a team (whether greenlighted by their coach or not) who has just been creamed on the ice (this is tacky, gauche, and not done by true *winners*) - Retaliation/sending a message when one of your top two forwards gets hit out of the game - intentionally or not, well... that needs to be addressed by one (or more) members of the team. That's the way it should be.

Last edited by Pluckfur: 01-10-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

couldn't agree with Portie more here...We better see a hungry, angry team on Friday night. Of course, the Jackets should be renamed the Crunch for that game though... Look at the possible lineup...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
couldn't agree with Portie more here...We better see a hungry, angry team on Friday night. Of course, the Jackets should be renamed the Crunch for that game though... Look at the possible lineup...
What's wrong with being Crunchy? Poor Murray is out ... Methot and Brass in ... nothing wrong with Crunchy.

Old
01-10-2008, 11:09 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post

This part really got me: "I have been frustrated by a central Ohio phenomena where fans, because they know the players names, and faces and jersey numbers, and because they see their names in the paper everyday, assume that they are good."

Who the hell are these people she's talking about? She proclaims she's "ready for the annual trip to the Masters, hockey season is over around here", which can only lead me to believe she doesn't even live in "central Ohio"...so, in turn, I find it hard to believe she has her finger on the pulse of the Jackets fans in central Ohio.

She seems stuck in a 2001-2002 haze with the comment "But it's time the fans knew that with only a few exceptions, most of your beloved Blue Jackets don't possess the skills to be in the NHL." I would say exactly none of the Jackets on the current roster "don't possess the skills to be in the NHL", with possibly one exception.

It seems trendy to throw around terms like "trash" in terms of some of the grinders on our team, but the bottom line is that they ARE in the NHL, and wouldn't be here if they weren't capable. Even our "garbage" gets picked up by other teams (Beech). Are other teams more talented? Of course. But our group of guys certainly belongs in this league.

And what exactly has Howson done (or not done) to prove that he's in over his head?

I'm as pissed as anyone about the Jackets' soft play, but I'm not going to go so far as to call guys out as not capable of playing in the NHL.
Portzline has inferred some of the same bull when he said that we only have 2 top 6 forwards and no top 4 defenseman. I guess I know why he always calls her out in his blog; she seems to be the only one who agrees with his wild idea that the Jackets are an AHL team.

What's really obvious in her comments is she's wasn't a hockey fan until the Jackets came around. She's been brainwashed by the string of #1 centers McLean brought in and assumed that Peca was the next one. Calling out Howson for not making a move further proves this. She's a product of McLean's lies, spin, and arrogance.

Robert, please tell me you don't agree with this ****.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
Skraut

Did somebody say SOFT?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
lmfao

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post

Six seasons in a row with less than 80 points and 12th in the Conference as of 1-10-08 during the 7th. I think the Ms. knows what she is talking about.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote