HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paraphrasing Portzline: Our roster is full of pansies

Old
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
Portzline has inferred some of the same bull when he said that we only have 2 top 6 forwards and no top 4 defenseman. I guess I know why he always calls her out in his blog; she seems to be the only one who agrees with his wild idea that the Jackets are an AHL team.

What's really obvious in her comments is she's wasn't a hockey fan until the Jackets came around. She's been brainwashed by the string of #1 centers McLean brought in and assumed that Peca was the next one. Calling out Howson for not making a move further proves this. She's a product of McLean's lies, spin, and arrogance.

Robert, please tell me you don't agree with this ****.
Check the NHL Atlas, check the NHL standings as of today. Do I like to hear what she says? No. Do the numbers back her up? Yes.

Edit: I don't know the person but based on reading many of her comments I'd say with 95% confidence she is an experienced NHL follower either from another city or a local prior to the CBJ...

Last edited by Robert: 01-10-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Did somebody say SOFT?

If we had 23 of those guys even the flu and bacteria would be afraid...

Old
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Did somebody say SOFT?

Why is Roberto Luongo wearing the CBJ crest?

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Why is Roberto Luongo wearing the CBJ crest?

Old
01-11-2008, 12:12 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Check the NHL Atlas, check the NHL standings as of today. Do I like to hear what she says? No.... Do the numbers back her up-yes.
So you agree that everyone besides Nash, Zherdev, and Leclaire are all AHL players?

When was the last time we had 44 points on January 10th, huh? We haven't. Is the season really over? Yes? Ok, so what does that make Los Angeles, Chicago, Florida, Washington, and your beloved Buffalo Sabres? All these teams have fewer points than we do. Is the season over for them too? Not by a long shot. If any of these teams can put a run together, they're right back in it (with the exception of the . It's the same with us. If we beat St. Louis and Nashville this weekend, we're right back in the thick of things.

There is a skill problem with the team, no one's denying that. We have too many 3rd and 4th line guys and not enough 1st and second line guys. But to say that the majority of the players aren't NHL caliber goes far beyond constructive criticism, which is what Portzline set out to do in the first place.

cydawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:34 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Edit: I don't know the person but based on reading many of her comments I'd say with 95% confidence she is an experienced NHL follower either from another city or a local prior to the CBJ...
I seriously doubt it. I'm a hockey fan and was a hockey fan for years before the Jackets came along. I've endured all the same loosing seasons, empty promises, and disappointment that every other Jackets fan has endured since opening night. I'm not giving up on this team. A true fan wouldn't.

She sounds like someone who went to a few games, kinda likes hockey, and thinks she's an expert because Columbus has a team.

Old
01-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I seriously doubt it. I'm a hockey fan and was a hockey fan for years before the Jackets came along. I've endured all the same loosing seasons, empty promises, and disappointment that every other Jackets fan has endured since opening night. I'm not giving up on this team. A true fan wouldn't.

She sounds like someone who went to a few games, kinda likes hockey, and thinks she's an expert because Columbus has a team.
I understand your passion...I wish our players had what you have..... Bottomline though, unless Mason, Brassard and Methot can turn this team around the Blue Jackets will miss the playoffs for the 7th season in a row...

As for the Sabres...lol....they suck, and they will continue to suck untill they get a defense and the understanding that Miller is not that good.... They should never have let Biron go.....

I had to edit for seasons/years. That darn lockout drives me crazy......

Last edited by Robert: 01-11-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old
01-11-2008, 01:15 AM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
I understand your passion...I wish our players had what you have..... Bottomline though, unless Mason, Brassard and Methot can turn this team around the Blue Jackets will miss the playoffs for the 7th year in a row...
You're missing my point, Robert. It's not about the playoffs. It's not about Portzline's blog post either (My opinion for the record: they're soft, they've always been soft, they're gonna be soft for at least another season). It's about an asinine statement that these guys aren't NHL caliber. If they weren't NHL caliber, or if they can't be developed into NHL caliber, they wouldn't be in this league or in the system. It's about that statement coming from a fair weather fan with an "oh my team sucks so I'm not gonna support them anymore" attitude.

Just checked Puck Rakers to do some research on Linda K to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's the one who wondered why Beech was sent back down since he's provided so much secondary scoring. Yup, I'm pretty sure I'm right about her.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
You're missing my point, Robert. It's not about the playoffs. It's not about Portzline's blog post either (My opinion for the record: they're soft, they've always been soft, they're gonna be soft for at least another season). It's about an asinine statement that these guys aren't NHL caliber. If they weren't NHL caliber, or if they can't be developed into NHL caliber, they wouldn't be in this league or in the system. It's about that statement coming from a fair weather fan with an "oh my team sucks so I'm not gonna support them anymore" attitude.

Just checked Puck Rakers to do some research on Linda K to give her the benefit of the doubt. She's the one who wondered why Beech was sent back down since he's provided so much secondary scoring. Yup, I'm pretty sure I'm right about her.
Ok... And I do agree with you in principle. What I think Linda really mean't was not simply NHL eligible, but rather, NHL winning eligible. Obviously, our players are capable of playing at the NHL level, but Linda questions their level.

Obviously they have not been good enough to make the playoffs which is the barometer for definition of a winner. If your not a winner then what's the point? If folks want non winning entertainment then go to the movies, save sport for those who thrive on winning. We don't have winning players "per definition" now or ever in the past.

Old
01-11-2008, 06:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I'm only parsing my speech so carefully because you have a tendency to become entangled in semantics and lose sight of the point. If you're tired of the fight/check/hit talk I'll stop.

Correct. There are few bodies on our team that are physically imposing enough to play a power forward game. Nash is one, Chimera is another. Unfortunately, neither of those players is having much( if any) success with their game at the moment.

It's demanding way to play the game. The problem is that Nash has been unable to maintain his pace from the early season and he hasn't found any useful help from his team mates to help him regain that form. It's a problem and hopefully it's being dealt with.

If Nash were scoring goals and his team was winning, we wouldn't be discussing any of this. No one on this team is perfect and no one on this team plays a perfect game. Every guy is different and it just so happens that one area Nash could contribute far, far more in is in playing with energy and grit. It's particularly important he do this on the road against good opposition defense where his goals come fewer and farther between.
I got your point a few posts ago, there was little fear of me getting caught up in semantics.

From your posting I think you got mine. Nash is already having a hard enough time keeping his level of play up, with his style of play. And he does play physical.

So I guess we circle around back to my original point. If you gonna pick people out of the CBJ crowd, why don't you pick out guys like Chimera, Manny, Fritsche, Klesla, Hejda, Hainsey? Those kind of guys are the ones that really should be talking about, when we go back to the article about protecting players and making the other team pay. Hejda's not as nasty as Foote.

I would like to see Nash pick up that level of his game more, in the future. But with our lack of top end depth, I would rather see him spend his energy driving to the net...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:09 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Ok... And I do agree with you in principle. What I think Linda really mean't was not simply NHL eligible, but rather, NHL winning eligible. Obviously, our players are capable of playing at the NHL level, but Linda questions their level.
Linda's comments... were... not something I would have pointed out as a good post.

Her Peca comments were out in left field. Most of these Jackets will be playing on a NHL team next year and other NHL teams would pick up most of what we have. We may have some of them playing higher in the lineup then they should, it doesn't make them non-NHL players, despite whatever spin you want to put on her words. She was saying they suck too much to be in the NHL. How many Jacket rejects have went on to win the cup? I've lost count now. I've heard those comments in the past. While they were true for a minor handful, for the most part they've turned out to be total rubbish.

Her comment that we could play a great game and still get beat 6-1 was pretty dumb. The only way that happens if both of our goalies give up some soft ones. Not exactly what she was driving at.

Overall, there was nothing of value or anything insightful that came out of her comments. She might be an "All-star fan", but that was just the ramblings of a bitter, ultra-casual fan.

Last edited by blahblah: 01-11-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old
01-11-2008, 06:55 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I got your point a few posts ago, there was little fear of me getting caught up in semantics.

From your posting I think you got mine. Nash is already having a hard enough time keeping his level of play up, with his style of play. And he does play physical.

So I guess we circle around back to my original point. If you gonna pick people out of the CBJ crowd, why don't you pick out guys like Chimera, Manny, Fritsche, Klesla, Hejda, Hainsey? Those kind of guys are the ones that really should be talking about, when we go back to the article about protecting players and making the other team pay. Hejda's not as nasty as Foote.

I would like to see Nash pick up that level of his game more, in the future. But with our lack of top end depth, I would rather see him spend his energy driving to the net...
blahblah, it wasn't that i wasn't getting your points ... it's simply that I don't AGREE with your points. Believe it or not blah, I base my points and reasoning the same way that I assume you do - my points spring from the foundation of MY beliefs/observations/understanding- and whether you agree or disagree with me is of titanic insignificance to the veracity of those reasoned points.

Rick needs to play with a more competive drive and with an increased dedication to playing the physical and dominating brand of hockey he was playing early in the season when he was a legitimate force on the ice and on the scoreboard.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:14 AM
213 Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Can I just say that that post by "Linda K" is complete crap?

This part really got me: "I have been frustrated by a central Ohio phenomena where fans, because they know the players names, and faces and jersey numbers, and because they see their names in the paper everyday, assume that they are good."

Who the hell are these people she's talking about? She proclaims she's "ready for the annual trip to the Masters, hockey season is over around here", which can only lead me to believe she doesn't even live in "central Ohio"...so, in turn, I find it hard to believe she has her finger on the pulse of the Jackets fans in central Ohio.

She seems stuck in a 2001-2002 haze with the comment "But it's time the fans knew that with only a few exceptions, most of your beloved Blue Jackets don't possess the skills to be in the NHL." I would say exactly none of the Jackets on the current roster "don't possess the skills to be in the NHL", with possibly one exception.

It seems trendy to throw around terms like "trash" in terms of some of the grinders on our team, but the bottom line is that they ARE in the NHL, and wouldn't be here if they weren't capable. Even our "garbage" gets picked up by other teams (Beech). Are other teams more talented? Of course. But our group of guys certainly belongs in this league.

And what exactly has Howson done (or not done) to prove that he's in over his head?

I'm as pissed as anyone about the Jackets' soft play, but I'm not going to go so far as to call guys out as not capable of playing in the NHL.
Word.

Glad to see I wasn't the only person who thought her post was overrated tripe. I have my own beef with some of the sports fans around here, but it doesn't center on the type of ignorance she mentions, that's for sure. Also, how much of our "garbage" has ended up on Stanley Cup-winning teams? At least two, by my count.

213 Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
darrmd

On todays blog, did anyone see that CurtisG posted a comment. Could this be glencross?

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Also, how much of our "garbage" has ended up on Stanley Cup-winning teams? At least two, by my count.
Try al least 5

Grant Marshall, NJ
Whitney - Adams, Carolina
Sydor, TB
Hartigan, Ana

Could be a few more.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Try al least 5

Grant Marshall, NJ
Whitney - Adams, Carolina
Sydor, TB
Hartigan, Ana

Could be a few more.
Motzko also

On the other issue going on here right now "Linda K".

Linda could you please point yourself out. If you are a true CBJ fan with this much insight into the team you would be a member of our message board. Anyone with this much knowledge of how the team works must be on here. If they are not how could we possibly know how much weight to put into thier arguments by guaging it against what they have done/said in the past.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:23 AM
blahblah

Quote:
blahblah, it wasn't that i wasn't getting your points ... it's simply that I don't AGREE with your points. Believe it or not blah, I base my points and reasoning the same way that I assume you do - my points spring from the foundation of MY beliefs/observations/understanding- and whether you agree or disagree with me is of titanic insignificance to the veracity of those reasoned points.
Not to point out the obvious, but you just defined a debate. I could have swore that is what we were having. I get your point with what I quoted, but just don't understand the relevance.

Whether or not you place an significance on my posts is meaningless. If I don't agree (or when I do), I'm going to say something. If you don't agree with me, your gonna do the same.

Are you saying you just don't want me to respond to you when I disagree? Help me understand the relevance.

To try and keep something on point here. You seem to acknowledge Nash does have a physical presence. I'm just trying to figure out why your picking him out of the crowd, when there are others more deserving of you "wrath",

Old
01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Inquiring Minds

I remember Nash's first game. He got checked hard behind our goal. I was at the game and saw it live. It was a clean hit, nothing dirty about it. What I remember most was a) the entire arena holding it's collective breath for five minutes before they helped Rick up and off the ice and b) the palpable anger that the crowd exuded. We wanted blood.

If someone else can fill in the details, I'd appreciate it, but at the time I was keenly aware of the perp's number and was watching for his return to the ice. On his next shift, he made one trip down the ice. On his way back, one of our guys caught him in the open ice around our blue line and knocked him end over end. The roar was deafening, and that guy beat a hasty retreat to his bench.

That's what I'm talking about.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
In one sense, you have to be wary about "retaliation" ******** calls .... but this might just go away by next year. Crunching hits are great, but not when the only team on the ice giving them is whoever the Jackets are playing on any given night. I just wish we could see our boys play a total game, where we beat the **** out of the opponent and win by more than 1 goal, for once.

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Xoggz22

LETS GO JACKETS!

Still my boys. I root for the name on the front not the back.

That said, AP was dead on his his assessment. No, it's not about fighting, it's about opportunity. The CBJ passes on opportunity whenever it comes through center ice, is slow in the corners or has their head down. We don't need to play crazy or play dirty but you do need to play with an edge to win.

Take the Iginla/Nash debate (comparison??) earlier in this thread. Iginla doesn't look for the big hit every time on the ice. He doesn't chase guys around to show them how tough he is. He takes the opportunity when there and punishes people. He's learned the game well enough that he seems to create the opportunity or have others to help create the opportunity more often than others it would seem. Nash is still a few years younger and still doesn't have the players around him (through the lineup, not just his line) that will take or make the opportunities.

Another point, in reality the "energy line" of Chimmer, Manny and Danny should be called the missed opportunity line. Sure they run around like crazy, but they all have size, can skate and play soft! That's what plagues this team. A timely hit, an added hit, something for others to think about when coming through center ice. Not there, never has been.

Finally, Boll (one who's seen as that of Hitch's ilk) might be good some day but I'll compare him to Nash in this instance. If you all recall, Nash tried to hit everything that moved when he was a rookie. He rattled the boards more than any player on the team. He also fell more than any other player on the team. He didn't rattle teeth. That's what learning is all about and the other problem with our team is we always have the "right type of player" learning every year. Boll will learn and likely be successful for years to come but he's got some catching up to the game to do.

I haven't lost faith. THere's enough positives to see with this team but I do think a roster shake up is necessary if for nothing else but to let people know what is not acceptable to play in Columbus.

there have been many threads discussing who should stay or go and, to paraphrase, we still have a lineup littered with misfits and castoffs. But even so, we're still two months longer in the hunt than years past.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Take the Iginla/Nash debate (comparison??) earlier in this thread. Iginla doesn't look for the big hit every time on the ice. He doesn't chase guys around to show them how tough he is. He takes the opportunity when there and punishes people. He's learned the game well enough that he seems to create the opportunity or have others to help create the opportunity more often than others it would seem. Nash is still a few years younger and still doesn't have the players around him (through the lineup, not just his line) that will take or make the opportunities.
I was just talking about Iginla/Nash with someone else. I would take Iginla in a second over Nash right now. However it's taken may years for Iginla to become the player he is now. Nash will get there, I have the faith.

He's still young and he's learning every night. Hitch has dumped a ton of responsiblity on this guy, he's going to have some growing pains.

Some other players on this team have no excuses.

Old
01-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Casework

Is Nik the epitome of heart?

http://dispatch.com/live/content/blu...N.html?sid=101

Quote:
Blue Jackets right winger Nikolai Zherdev sounds eager to demonstrate his toughness tonight against the St. Louis Blues.

Zherdev, who sat out practice yesterday, said he will play in the rematch tonight despite suffering a charley horse in his right quadriceps.

I'm so proud to have never doubted this guy. Talk about a turn-around.

Let's just hope the rest of the article isn't a bunch of smoke.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Is Nik the epitome of heart?

http://dispatch.com/live/content/blu...N.html?sid=101

I'm so proud to have never doubted this guy. Talk about a turn-around.

Let's just hope the rest of the article isn't a bunch of smoke.
Yowzers! That's really great news. Let's hope his teammates get a spark from this.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Matt

I think it takes more than taking up for another player. To play tough you have to give of yourself for the good of the team. Look at the stats:
Forwards:
Name Hits Blocked shots
Boll 63 10
Brule 36 6
Novotny 36 23
Fritsche 35 24
Chimera 31 8
Fedorov 30 12
Shelley 29 2
Peca 29 15
Zherdev 25 9
Nash 22 16
Malhotra 22 13
Vyborny 19 10
Defense:
Hedja 84 43
Klesla 62 55
OKT 53 12
Foote 51 86
Hainsey 27 45
Westcott 18 14
Russell 17 45

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Damn that's pretty cool. I won't be allowed to see this game (ihatebasketball) but I hope they destroy St. Louis

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote