HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Derick Brassard called up Beech claimed by VAN

Old
01-11-2008, 07:05 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

vCash: 500
In the Dispatch this AM. Hitch's reason for starting Brass out on the 4th line.

Quote:
Although Brassard starts on a checking line, Hitchcock hinted that he will see time on the power play. He likes Brassard's skills and passion for the game but playing him with Rick Nash or Nikolai Zherdev would place the youngster against some of the league's top checking centers and shutdown defensemen.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:20 AM
frito

In addition to the sommets made by Hitch in the previous post, putting him out there with Shelley and Boll will give him some added protection. I think other teams will be far less likely to take liberties and give him a big 'ole "Welcome to the NHL hit" if they know they will immediately feel the rath of one or both of those guys.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:30 AM
KozmicBlues

My first thought/concern was that when he first comes up, the line-mates around him may not allow his talent to shine through if he's going to chip around on the 3rd/4th lines. Figured it may be hard to judge his game based on that. But regardless of my opinion as to whether I think he's ready or not, I know he's not come up to do a such a 4th line role permanently in the future.
So then, optimistically I thought well, he's here, he's here to stay and he's playing - that's good enough for me!! If he needs the likes of Shelley and Boll to ease him in and watch his back for a few shifts, as long as its for the greater good, then I can live with that. Can't wait to watch his development for the rest of the season.
I was already looking forward to tonights game before the news of Brassard's arrival -now even more so!

KozmicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:34 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I don`t understand... . It`s baffling. I hope it`s a stupid joke. I thought he`ll play in one from first second lines. Still ice-time 6-8 minutes and it`ll be "excelent".... .
When you start a new job does your boss immediately throw you on the most important project in the company? No, he/she eases you in. Exactly what is being done here.

Relax people. Hitch knows what he's doing. Brassard will be eased in, get PP minutes and then go from there. His ice time and role will increase if he earns it.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
Skraut

we have truly missed the wise words of Shelf.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:59 AM
anteater90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
When you start a new job does your boss immediately throw you on the most important project in the company? No, he/she eases you in. Exactly what is being done here.

Relax people. Hitch knows what he's doing. Brassard will be eased in, get PP minutes and then go from there. His ice time and role will increase if he earns it.
Don't be such a stranger.

We need your voice.

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:

I agree with this completely. Give him time on a checking line and time on the PP. Maybe he kick-starts the PP and is a star off the bat. If so, he won't be on the fourth line for long.

This is the right call.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:08 AM
ScreamingWild
Kissin' The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
we have truly missed the wise words of Shelf.
Yeah, what he said!!11!one!1!

Starting on the 4th is perfect for Brass. He will be able to show his worth without the pressure and expectations of being the "saviour" of the team. I think we'll really see his determination and intensity. I'm betting from there, he'll be movin' on up.

ScreamingWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Macster

Quote:

Voice of reason.

Learn from Shelfie kids, he knows things.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:09 AM
CBJ 97 61 16

Quote:

Very very true Shelf. Isn't this what Hitch did with Russell too? Saw very little 5 on 5 at the beginning of the season, but played on the first PP. As Russell's confidence grew, his 5 on 5 grew. Now, he's carrying the puck up the ice and really showing is ability with some pretty decent minutes 5 on 5.

CBJ 97 61 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

I don`t agree. Why.
1. We have enough impotent offensive, our centers have more minus +/- and few points.
2. Brass don`t come from junior hockey but from AHL.
3. We know Brass he isn`t unknown player for us.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I don`t agree. Why.
1. We have enough impotent offensive, our centers have more minus +/- and few points.
They are being ultra careful with Brassard. I see no reason to throw him up against the top defensive players from the other team yet.

It's not a big deal, remain calm, he will earn more ice time soon enough.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
jairadballerina

Quote:
I don`t agree. Why.
So the kid is going to center Fulton Reed and Dean Portman for a few games...big deal. Bigger deal is he is getting ice time with the big club and acclimate himself with his surroundings. Once he is comfortable and not looking like a new born fawn on skates move him up line by line.

jairadballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
TheChance07

Send a message via AIM to TheChance07
Quote:
Originally Posted by jairadballerina View Post
So the kid is going to center Fulton Reed and Dean Portman for a few games...big deal.

Shelley and Boll have never done what those two bohemiths did...

TheChance07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:17 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
But if your a proven hot prospect with a bright future, your boss also wouldn't start you at the bottom of the barrel with the bottom feeders and non producers.
Just curious, where did Sid the kid, straight out of Juniors, start?

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Aging Goalie

I understand why they are doing what they are doing as far as what line he is starting on. Problem I have is that to me it signals that we are about to head into sell mode.

My take on call ups is that you bring up a first line player to play first line duties or a grinder to play as a grinder. If we needed a grinder why not bring Brule back up. He has been in this role since he got here. I don't see how this will help Brassard develop at all.

Keep in mind that I would have been fine with him anywhere but the Shelly Boll line. sure Boll has a little scoring touch in spurts but Who is this set up man going to have to set up?? Bad move. In my opinion he would be better served to either be playing on the 2nd/3rd lines or staying in Syracuse.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChance07 View Post

Shelley and Boll have never done what those two bohemiths did...
Wouldn't it be great if they did though?

Note: I would only want to actually see this happen if we were out of the playoff hunt and a dumb set of penalties would actually add entertainment value to the game.

Old
01-11-2008, 02:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
But if your a proven hot prospect with a bright future, your boss also wouldn't start you at the bottom of the barrel with the bottom feeders and non producers.
Look, I'm not a Sid fan... But I'm also not crazy enought to compare Sid with Brassard. That's just crazy talk...

And Boll is hardly a bottom feeder/non producer.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Now we are comparing Brassard with Sid the Kid?

I will say the greatest prospect since Wayne Gretzky did not start at #1 center. He started at wing. Again, even an elite generational talent like Crosby was eased in.

Brassard should be looked at more like a Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Ryan Getzlaf, Phil Kessell...all of those guys started down the lineup and worked their way up.

..but that's okay...lets treat him like Brule and give him a top 6 spot and wait for the same posters that are clamoring for him to start higher up the lineup complain that he was thrown to the wolves to early.

This is the way successfull teams bring along their propsects. Its the way it should be done. I'm thrilled at the way Brassard is being brought along. Its shows the organization is alls growns ups.

The kid will get plenty of playing time as he earns it. Could be tonight...could be a month from now. Up to how he performs.

Last edited by X0ssbar: 01-11-2008 at 03:06 PM.
X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Now we are comparing Brassard with Sid the Kid?

I will say the greatest prospect since Wayne Gretzky did not start at #1 center. He started at wing. Again, even an elite generational talent like Crosby was eased in.

Brassard should be looked at more like a Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Ryan Getzlaf, Phil Kessell...all of those guys started down the lineup and worked their way up.

..but that's okay...lets treat him like Brule and give him a top 6 spot and wait for the same posters that are clamoring for him to start higher up the lineup complain that he was thrown to the wolves to early.

This is the way successfull teams bring along their propsects. Its the way it should be done. I'm thrilled at the way Brassard is being brought along. Its shows the organization is alls growns ups.

The kid will get plenty of playing time as he earns it. Could be tonight...could be a month from now. Up to how he performs.
I was referencing that I feel he should be getting 2-3 line minutes instead of fourth was all. Top line out of the gate.....NO WAY..... fourth line minutes equally NO WAY in my book though.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:23 PM
blahblah

lol, I knew bringing up Brassard would cause chaos...

Good stuff.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
I was referencing that I feel he should be getting 2-3 line minutes instead of fourth was all. Top line out of the gate.....NO WAY..... fourth line minutes equally NO WAY in my book though.
I see your point but if he sees PP time, too, then that mitigates his potential low TOI as a fourth-liner. his should be enough for now.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I see your point but if he sees PP time, too, then that mitigates his potential low TOI as a fourth-liner. his should be enough for now.
If he gets 8 minutes total that's enough for awhile...I remember Russell in his first few games....he was a deer in the headlights untill he had the puck stolen off his stick four or five times. He is just starting to get used to the game now...

Brassard will start out on the lower lines and work his way up, as it should be. I'm mostly excited to see what impact he has on the PP...for some reason I think he will excel there first. If so he could impact our win column.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Aging Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Possibly. I just hate to see talent wasted if in fact he is ready and 4-7/game minutes is wasting him.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Look, I'm not a Sid fan... But I'm also not crazy enought to compare Sid with Brassard. That's just crazy talk...

And Boll is hardly a bottom feeder/non producer.
The point is you dont bring up a #1 pick hot prospect who has proven he can play not only in Juniors but also the in the A and at their highest level and then pair him with a bruiser who cant skate, pass, hold onto the puck or score. Thats #45. Boll is another up and comer who has agreat future ahead of him. They need energy on the line to create breaks not a boat anchor who falls on his face if he gets going too fast, watch him sometime! Fritche would be a great fit between Brassard & Boll and the line would still have hard checking along with toughness on it too. But no we'll keep Shelley out there who 80% of the fans see and know there will be no goals scored this shift. 1 pt in 2 years.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote