HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm tired of Holik

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 10:39 PM
Leetchie2

vCash:
I'm tired of Holik

I appreciate his honesty after every terrible game we have, but when will he step up his play? He hasn't done anything in 3 weeks. The man is making NINE MILLION DOLLARS. He needs to step up his game, just like everyone else does. God this team makes me sick.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Janerixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie2
I appreciate his honesty after every terrible game we have, but when will he step up his play? He hasn't done anything in 3 weeks. The man is making NINE MILLION DOLLARS. He needs to step up his game, just like everyone else does. God this team makes me sick.
holik is not being used correctly, he is being played with 2 offensive minded players and both of them are slumping as of late, he needs a line change
id like to see some new combos tried but sather is too stupid
rucinsky-lindros-kovalev
hlavac-nedved-jagr
simon-holik-barnaby (checking line)
lacouture-mess-ortmeyer

and when lundmark comes back next week whoever is still slumping sits
koavelv, rucinsky, hlavac, whoever

u play holik's line against teams other top lines
then lindros and kovalev will draw the attention of teams top defensive pairs and checking line
it will be up to nedved and jagr to score some goals which is why they better develop chemistry or maybe lundmark can come in and play on that line for some extra punch

i wouldnt be oppossed to this either when lundy comes back
lundmark-lindros-kovalev
rucinsky-nedved-jagr

Old
01-24-2004, 10:51 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
I'm sorry but Holik has been one of the few players on this team that has performed. He's on pace to score his averages prior to coming to NY. He's been misused ever since coming here. It is not Holik's fault he is being overpaid for what is his normal production, neither is it his fault he's not being used for what he's getting paid for.

Old
01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
If Sather doesnt shake up the lines after tonights game, he should be shot.

This is what i would want:

Hlavac-Nedved-Jagr (played pretty well tonight afetr the 1st)
Rucinsky-Lindros-Kovalev(time to give Lindros some goal scorers)
Simon-Holik-Barnaby (amazing checking line)
Rheaume-Messier-Ortmeyer(4th line players, 4th line minutes)

These are the perfect lines. Every player will be in the role he should be playing. Why is that we can figure this out and Sather can't?
Do us as fans actually understand it more than he does?

Old
01-24-2004, 11:02 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
holik is not being used correctly, he is being played with 2 offensive minded players and both of them are slumping as of late, he needs a line change
id like to see some new combos tried but sather is too stupid
rucinsky-lindros-kovalev
hlavac-nedved-jagr
simon-holik-barnaby (checking line)
lacouture-mess-ortmeyer

and when lundmark comes back next week whoever is still slumping sits
koavelv, rucinsky, hlavac, whoever

u play holik's line against teams other top lines
then lindros and kovalev will draw the attention of teams top defensive pairs and checking line
it will be up to nedved and jagr to score some goals which is why they better develop chemistry or maybe lundmark can come in and play on that line for some extra punch

i wouldnt be oppossed to this either when lundy comes back
lundmark-lindros-kovalev
rucinsky-nedved-jagr
We think alike, Jan. I like the Lundmark idea too.. thing is, does Sather have a FREAKING clue?

Old
01-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Laches

It's true that Holik has been "misused" in much of his time here, and it's not his "fault" that he's probably the most overpaid player in the league, but those two facts do not completely absolve him of his often lackluster play. Even if he's not being used correctly, he should be making the most of the icetime he's given, and setting an example for others to follow. He isn't. He often shows more emotion when he's venting to the press about Sather than he does on the ice, and that's a problem.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21
We think alike, Jan. I like the Lundmark idea too.. thing is, does Sather have a FREAKING clue?
lundmark
i wish sather had a clue because if he did we at least would have acquired a credible defensemen, i mean pushor? the flyers were able to get timmander and markhov, yeah they lost williams but thats 2 solid defensemen and we got an ahl waiver fodder d-man

all i can ask from him is to get a credible defenseman maybe mckee from the sabres if they will part ways with him, maybe a package deal for a stay at home d-man and khabi (but that will cost us), maybe boughner, maybe jason smith... there are defensemen out there but sather is taking his sweet time looking for the right deal

i mean look how long it took to get jagr, yeah we only lost carter and the caps are paying 20 mil but it took 7 months, now we need a defensemen for uhhh monday

he better do something, so im expecting we will acquire igor larionov from the devils, since when does sather even try and make sense

Old
01-24-2004, 11:36 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laches
It's true that Holik has been "misused" in much of his time here, and it's not his "fault" that he's probably the most overpaid player in the league, but those two facts do not completely absolve him of his often lackluster play. Even if he's not being used correctly, he should be making the most of the icetime he's given, and setting an example for others to follow. He isn't. He often shows more emotion when he's venting to the press about Sather than he does on the ice, and that's a problem.
What lackluster play? This season he's performed as should be expected.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:48 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
What lackluster play? This season he's performed as should be expected.

---You're basing that assessment on his numbers, which are decent, but he's been invisible too many games. Remember, statistics are like a girl in a bikini, its shows you a lot, but you can't see everything. Holik was supposed to be the big center we needed to help us contend with teams like Boston, Jersey and Philly. Well, we played four games against those teams recently, and in those games Holik had zero points and was a -3. He was a total non-factor in the game against Philly the other night, and it doesn't sound like tonight's game was much of an improvement.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:53 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Quote:
---You're basing that assessment on his numbers, which are decent, but he's been invisible too many games. Remember, statistics are like a girl in a bikini, its shows you a lot, but you can't see everything. Holik was supposed to be the big center we needed to help us contend with teams like Boston, Jersey and Philly. Well, we played four games against those teams recently, and in those games Holik had zero points and was a -3. He was a total non-factor in the game against Philly the other night, and it doesn't sound like tonight's game was much of an improvement.
I don't agree, not in hockey at least. Stats mean something when you're putting them up. He is invisible more games then you would hope for but certainly not enough to say he's been playing bad.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by #37-#93-#27
I don't agree, not in hockey at least. Stats mean something when you're putting them up. He is invisible more games then you would hope for but certainly not enough to say he's been playing bad.
---I didn't say he was playing bad, but he hasn't been playing at the level he should be consistently enough, and he has to shoulder some of the blame for that, regardless of how he's being used and who he's being played with.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:20 AM
nyr5186

Quote:
---I didn't say he was playing bad, but he hasn't been playing at the level he should be consistently enough, and he has to shoulder some of the blame for that, regardless of how he's being used and who he's being played with.
I admit he's been inconsistent, and he should shoulder some blame for that. But I'll say this. Whenever Sather has used him in the role he should be used in (checking center with checking linemates), he's shown up and played very well. Unfortunately, Sather hasnt used him in that role too often. How many times has Holik pleaded to the media that he should be used in a proper role (including tonight)? And how many times has Sather ignored him by saying that he doesnt believe in matching lines? Memo to Slats: Its not the effing 80's anymore! Wake up! Your recent track record proves it!

Old
01-25-2004, 09:31 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nYr LunDmArK 21

I tell you this the answer is NO!

Atleast Holik got it right:

Meanwhile, center Bobby Holik was unequivocal when asked to give his assessment of the Rangers.

"I believe fundamentally we are the worst team in the National Hockey League," he said.
The rout Saturday night was the Rangers' worst since a 10-2 drubbing at Quebec on March 6, 1993.

Last edited by RFAN: 01-25-2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old
01-25-2004, 09:51 AM
Fletch

#37..

it's been weeks since Holik's played well in a game. He hasn't been aggressive, a pest, or played hard. I don't care if he's miscast, etc., it's not an excuse for his heartless play.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Laches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
it's been weeks since Holik's played well in a game. He hasn't been aggressive, a pest, or played hard. I don't care if he's miscast, etc., it's not an excuse for his heartless play.

---Exactly, Fletch. Lindros has frequently been played in a role not ideally suited him with offensively-challenged linemates, and he's shown up and found a way to contribute and produce. What's Holik's excuse? I have little patience for a player making $9 million a year who only comes to play when given assignments he likes.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:39 AM
FrankieD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon
holik is not being used correctly, he is being played with 2 offensive minded players

I think its time for Sather to notice that Holik is a checking line center who should be playing with the teams top defencive wingers. In many games this season Sather hasn't used Holik agianst the other teams top line. Thats another thing that pisses me off about Sathers usage of him. Holik is worth the $9 million he is getting paid if he is used the right way and its time for Sather to start doing that. What the lines should look like:

Ruchinsky/Nedved/Jagr
Simon/Lindros/Kovelev
Barnaby/Holik/Rheume or Ortmeyer or Lundmark
Hlavac/Messier/Rheume or Ortmeyer or Lundmark

I'd probably give Hlavac one more game with Nedved/Jagr and see what they do but I think Ruchinsky would fit in very nicely on that line.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Gonna say this

holik has been good this season, and is one of the few guys that come and play every nite. His honesty is refreshing after games, not to many athletes are that bold to make that kind of statement..

Old
01-25-2004, 12:58 PM
dedalus

On a side note I would just like to say that I am tired of orange marmalade on crackers. I'm through with it! Hear me? THROUGH!

Old
01-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Edge

Personally I am with laches on this one.

Holik has been good but hasn't shown up every night. There are some nights where he is invisble and he hasn't done a whole lot of anything in 2 or 3 weeks. If you wanna talk to the press the way he does, then you better make sure that no one can point to you say and say "What have you done lately?"

A perfect example is Messier in his prime. The reason the guy was respected and feared was because, barring an injury you KNEW he was out there, even if he never scored.

Now Holik isn't totally wrong on this issue, in fact he makes a lot of sense, but his effort is not beyond reproach this season nor was it last season.

Where i do agree with him is his obvious shots at sather about this teams preparation.

Fact of the matter is that their loss to ottawa is possibly their worst loss and effort in the 7 years since they last saw the playoffs. That was was a disgrace. There is no silver lining around that one ladies and gentlemen.

Old
01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
On a side note I would just like to say that I am tired of orange marmalade on crackers. I'm through with it! Hear me? THROUGH!
Welcome to the sweet, sweet world of aerosol cheese..mmmmmmmm..

For a guy who rips into the team everynight, Holik should be shwoing up everynight.. While he's pretty far down on the list of guys who mail it in for the most part, he has been invisible for many more games than he should be..

He may be misused and his contract isn't his fault, but there's been may a night where you barely noticed Holik at all..

Old
01-26-2004, 06:14 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
holik has been good this season, and is one of the few guys that come and play every nite. His honesty is refreshing after games, not to many athletes are that bold to make that kind of statement..

The problem is he has not come to play everynight (he does more often than he does not).

The biggest problem is Holik came here to be the checking line center. It is what he wanted. And Sather has used him to jump start guys who weren't playing well (Lindros, Kovalev). After the Boston and Ottawa games, there is not excuse to not shift the lines around. Go back to what Lindros and Holik are supposed to do.

Put Lindros with Rucinsky or Simon and Kovalev. Put Rucinsky or Simon with Holik and Barnaby. Get a checking line and a top scoring line. Of course all this is predicated on Sather matching lines.

01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Edge

basically it is like grading on a curve. on this team showing up 75% is good enough to lead the team, but in reality it's still average at best.

Old
01-27-2004, 01:28 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Of course all this is predicated on Sather matching lines.
Jackass has never heard of a "time-out" or "changing on the fly", you want him to match lines?

Old
01-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Personally I am with laches on this one.

Holik has been good but hasn't shown up every night.
I agree, but when has he EVER shown up every night? Come on guys, shake up those memory banks. Was Holik a force to be reckoned with, night in, night out with the Devils? Of course not. His game would ebb and flow just as it does today. I see the same player on the ice that I did before he was making $9Mil per. Giving someone Forsberg money doesn't make them Peter Forsberg.

Old
01-27-2004, 03:29 PM
JR#9*

The problem with Holik is the only way he gets mentioned in the papers is when he opens his mouth with his rants instead of earning mention in the papers for his play.

And while he isn't being used strictly in the checking role he desires there is no excuse for being as passive as he's been over the last month or so when the team has played it's worst.

He is amoung the worst offenders when it comes to penalties and he simply hasn't been a physical force that we need him to be.

Shut the f--- up already Bobby and worry about getting your own "A" game back before you open your mouth you moron.

And if you can't keep your Frankenstien mouth shut as you said yesterday you are incapable of doing then at least be man enough to include critisism of your own game when mentioning the problems with the team.Mention that you've been MIA for a month despite being flanked by the teams 2 best wingers.Funny how he never feels the need to be honest when it comes to these issues!! :mad:

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 01-27-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread