HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need advice for floor hockey CARDIO TRAINING

Old
01-13-2008, 10:54 PM
the watcher

vCash: 500
Need advice for floor hockey CARDIO TRAINING

Hey guys, wondering if any of u guys can help me out.

i've been playing hockey for a while (ball hockey), i use to mostly play defence lately where cardio is not required as much, but lately i went back to Offence but i just can't keep up.

i'm gonna do some cardio from now on when i hit the gym but would like some advice. i wanna do cardio to gain short bursts of energy and not to loose fat and such. My shifts are usually 1 min in length and 2 min of break. i have access to a treadmill, bike, cyclone and the step machine. what are your recommendations?

the watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:01 PM
PensFanInCBus

Nothing gets you in shape for running quite like running. I used to hit the eliptical
for 5 miles a day on off days, 3 hours on game days. It'll amaze you how quickly
you'll snap into good cardio shape. I'll also do some light lifting on off days too.

PensFanInCBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanInCBus View Post
Nothing gets you in shape for running quite like running. I used to hit the eliptical
for 5 miles a day on off days, 3 hours on game days. It'll amaze you how quickly
you'll snap into good cardio shape. I'll also do some light lifting on off days too.
Guessing you mean miles?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:50 PM
the watcher

Quote:
is elyptical as effective as say biking or running?

Old
01-14-2008, 12:07 AM
PensFanInCBus

I have not-so-good knees, so the elliptical works for me. I think anything that
gets your heart rate at the "cardio" level on whatever you are doing
for at least 20-30 minutes is considered a good cardio workout.

Really it's about what works best for you, make sure to stretch out good
before and after and drink LOTS of water. Your muscles will thank
you.

If you are into the supplements, a recovery drink is a great thing to drink
right after workouts.

Old
01-14-2008, 12:08 AM
PensFanInCBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Guessing you mean miles?
Miles indeed. 3 hours would KILL me!!!

Old
01-14-2008, 12:34 AM
marioroberge

About a year ago, I had put on a bit of weight and wanted todrop it and get back in to shape. I also play ball hockey. At the time I signed up for a half marathon and trained for it for 3 months and got very good at running. The difference showed on the ball hockey field but not as much as you'd think. The reason for this is that long distance sports are different form those that require short bursts of energy like ball hockey.

What i've done since then is basically mix it. Last summer I used to do one day 7k of running and the next day intervals. Kept that going for 6 times a week. The way to do it ona treadmill is raise the speed as high as you can for a minute or so, drop it down for 30 seconds, raise it back again for a minute and so forth. You only need to do this 3 or 4 times. Your workout will be done in about 7-8 minutes and you'll reap the benefits. Your body gets used to running hard and having to recover quickly. I mix that with weight high intensity interval weight training where i lift a lot of weight in a short period of time with little to no breaks. These workouts can last between 10 minutes and an hour. However, the difference between this and most weightlifting is that it can generally substitute cardio at intense speeds and this will also improve your ability to run out there.

I'm now able to run consistently at a hard pace throughout my shifts (1-3 minutes) in my ball hockey games without feeling winded or tired and I still have a lot left in the tank after the games.

The best way to train for a sport is to simulate it. In this case, short time and intense.

For ideas on high intensity interval training visit www.crossfit.com . The site is incredible but it assumes that you are quite advanced in your program. They give workouts of the day that I try to do. They seem very easy when reading them but they are insanely hard to do. These guys trained the guy who trained the actors for 300, they also train firemen and cops.

Enjoy.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:51 AM
the watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioroberge View Post
About a year ago, I had put on a bit of weight and wanted todrop it and get back in to shape. I also play ball hockey. At the time I signed up for a half marathon and trained for it for 3 months and got very good at running. The difference showed on the ball hockey field but not as much as you'd think. The reason for this is that long distance sports are different form those that require short bursts of energy like ball hockey.

What i've done since then is basically mix it. Last summer I used to do one day 7k of running and the next day intervals. Kept that going for 6 times a week. The way to do it ona treadmill is raise the speed as high as you can for a minute or so, drop it down for 30 seconds, raise it back again for a minute and so forth. You only need to do this 3 or 4 times. Your workout will be done in about 7-8 minutes and you'll reap the benefits. Your body gets used to running hard and having to recover quickly. I mix that with weight high intensity interval weight training where i lift a lot of weight in a short period of time with little to no breaks. These workouts can last between 10 minutes and an hour. However, the difference between this and most weightlifting is that it can generally substitute cardio at intense speeds and this will also improve your ability to run out there.

I'm now able to run consistently at a hard pace throughout my shifts (1-3 minutes) in my ball hockey games without feeling winded or tired and I still have a lot left in the tank after the games.

The best way to train for a sport is to simulate it. In this case, short time and intense.

For ideas on high intensity interval training visit www.crossfit.com . The site is incredible but it assumes that you are quite advanced in your program. They give workouts of the day that I try to do. They seem very easy when reading them but they are insanely hard to do. These guys trained the guy who trained the actors for 300, they also train firemen and cops.

Enjoy.
thx dude this is the kind of response i expected. i will try this out. but i usualy don't have time for normal cardio so i'll just to the interval training? is that ok?
i'd probably do it on the bike because it might get annoying to constantly put up the speed and down every minute on the treadmill.

also once u do it 3-4 times for 1 minute, do u change machine or is your training done? thx i will check out the site tomorow at work

Old
01-14-2008, 10:38 AM
PensFanInCBus

If you wanna really push yourself in short bursts...

Once you get at a decent-to-good shape, look into Plyometricss. It's a lot of
short burst movements that focus on leaping, footwork and agility.
It's a killer...and you will definitely feel it. The difference in your agility and
short burst explosiveness will blow your mind.

Make sure you have a good athletic fitness base before you try these. I can't
stress that enough. I tried them a little early, and I was blowin' up before
10 minutes.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html

Old
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM
the watcher

Quote:
If you wanna really push yourself in short bursts...

Once you get at a decent-to-good shape, look into Plyometricss. It's a lot of
short burst movements that focus on leaping, footwork and agility.
It's a killer...and you will definitely feel it. The difference in your agility and
short burst explosiveness will blow your mind.

Make sure you have a good athletic fitness base before you try these. I can't
stress that enough. I tried them a little early, and I was blowin' up before
10 minutes.

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometrics.html
thx, my buddy told me about that, i am pretty well in shape, have been going to the gym for a year, and hockey almost every week for the past 1-2 yrs. i'll start with the interval training and eventually move into that.

Old
01-14-2008, 01:15 PM
marioroberge

I used to generally finish my weight lifting sessions with the interval runs.

After you do 3 or 4 runs full pace at a minute, you don't have much energy to run hard anymore. THe bike is a good alternative but I don't know if it will be as effective.

marioroberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 02:06 PM
pelts35.com

Look no further than

http://www.power-systems.com/nav/clo...Board%E2%84%A2

It's absolutely perfect for building stamina for short bursts in addition to being good for increasing speed of lateral movements. Every now and again I'll put my goalie gear on for an even harder workout.

Edit, while looking I found this...

http://www.shapeupshop.com/balance/srf_board.htm

I don't know anything about it, but it looks cool. I may discuss it with my trainer and see what she thinks about it.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 01-14-2008 at 02:26 PM.
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

I play ice and roller hockey, and I have done it all as far as cardio/weights/machines/etc

If you want to become explosive run hills and jump rope (just not at the same time).

I know you said you don't have time for cardio - but I thought I didn't either. I was wrong.

I thought I was in good shape 2 years ago... I was working out twice a day... then I read about the benefits of jumping rope.

I couldn't jump rope for more than 2 minutes at first... but I kept at it until I could do it for 25-30 mins straight.

After about a month of jumping rope, my skating became alot more explosive. I just didn't feel tired... I felt alot stronger on my skates and I was winning almost every race to the puck and winning battles along the boards with ease.

I wanted to take it to the next level, and I started to run hills. This is about the hardest thing you can do if you want to push your body...

I started running 2-3 miles a day... and would run small hills along the way. I built up to 4-5 miles with no less than a dozen brutal hills every other day.

My routine now involves lifting and running.

I do circuit training one day (lift weights with no rest between sets)

I jump rope in between sets for 2-3 minutes, then do the next round of sets. I never stop for a break.

Then on my off days I run the 4-5 miles and run every hill I can, making sure I run at least a dozen hills before I stop.

I played foot hockey a little while back and I was running my ass off and never got tired. While other players where bending over their sticks to get air, I never had to.

When I used to play on feet years ago I just sort of walked and jogged a little...I hated playing on my feet because I had to run. So it was a huge change for me.

If you really want to see a significant change in your cardio... jumping rope and hill training will do wonders for you.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Hank19

Quote:
Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
is elyptical as effective as say biking or running?
No. The eliptical is great for weight loss and somewhat strengthening your legs.
I can easily do an hour on an eliptical, but struggle with running for more than 30 minutes.

Running will get you in much better cardiovascular shape.

But saying that, if you want to get in good shape for floor hockey start doing suicide-lines.

Do 15 minutes of those 3 days a week and you'll be good to go.

Hank19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
hock49

I like the Eliptical machine, and believe it or not, The Reebok slide. It works well.

hock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:24 PM
The Goaltending Guru

Send a message via AIM to The Goaltending Guru
You are training for FLOOR HOCKEY?

Dude, I'm going to be a goalie on the house team for my Roller Hockey league that starts its' next 10-game season in February. I'm going to be playing one night a week and the thought of training hasn't even crossed my mind!

The Goaltending Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsGuy80 View Post

Dude, I'm going to be a goalie on the house team for my Roller Hockey league that starts its' next 10-game season in February. I'm going to be playing one night a week and the thought of training hasn't even crossed my mind!
I understand your point, but I don't see how you can really fault a guy for wanting to improve their ability to play hockey what ever surface it might be on.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:16 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock49 View Post
I like the Eliptical machine, and believe it or not, The Reebok slide. It works well.
The eliptical is great and yes it can be used to build stamina, especially if you do "spinning" like drills with going full blast at a lower level for a minute or two and then increasing the resistance for 2 minutes over and over again.

The Reebok slide is like the Powerslide. The great thing about the Powerslide is that one end is adjustable so you can do short side to side bursts or longer ones as you build inner leg strength.

My training regime is

Monday - 30 minutes on the elipitcal
Tuesday - 90 minutes with personal trainer (heavy on abs and cardio)
Wednesday - 30 minutes on eliptical
Thursday - 90 minutes with personal trainer (circuit training along with eliptical)
Friday - off
Saturday - 30 minutes plyometrics (Bosu or Powerslide)
Sunday - off

In addition to that I do play golf on Saturday and Sunday and walk quite a bit. You can also count playing Wii 4 nights a week part of my training as well! Speaking of, the Wii will be introducing soon WiiFit that is intended as a fitness training program.

I'm still waiting to hear from my trainer about the SRF Board.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Personally I have been trying to get back into shape to play hockey again, I am 21 years old and was playing roller hockey since i was 8 with guys in their 30's, and I was (not trying to be cocky) but really good. I made my Varsity Roller Hockey Team in Highschool and won a championship, but then i got a lot bigger and as of this summer was at 340...so i had quit playing hockey a few years ago.

Now I am training like an efforcer to get back into shape to play again (or atleast skate without my back killing me.) I have lost 80 pounds in 4 months and am currently at 259.

Heres my schedule

Monday - 2 hours with a personal trainer - Jiu Jitsu, Boxing, Running. (wearing a trashbag.)
Tuesday - 2 hours with personal trainer -Jiu Jitsu, Running, Leg excercise and Medicine Ball for upper body strength
Wednesday - 2 hours with personal trainer - pushups, situps, running, wall pushups, flips etc...
Thursday - Elyptical 1 hour at 9.0mph 15 minutes on Bike at 100Rpm
Friday - Off
Saturday - Elyptical 1 hour at 9.0mph, 15 minutes on Bike, Sauna.
Sunday - Elypitcal 1 hour at 7.0 mph

After I get down to 240 (100 pounds.) I am going to start doing reflex training as well (pretty much like a goalie) and get my balance back.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Take up kickboxing, not only will it toughen the shins but it's pretty nifty for the cardio too.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:32 PM
the watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
I play ice and roller hockey, and I have done it all as far as cardio/weights/machines/etc

If you want to become explosive run hills and jump rope (just not at the same time).

I know you said you don't have time for cardio - but I thought I didn't either. I was wrong.

I thought I was in good shape 2 years ago... I was working out twice a day... then I read about the benefits of jumping rope.

I couldn't jump rope for more than 2 minutes at first... but I kept at it until I could do it for 25-30 mins straight.

After about a month of jumping rope, my skating became alot more explosive. I just didn't feel tired... I felt alot stronger on my skates and I was winning almost every race to the puck and winning battles along the boards with ease.

I wanted to take it to the next level, and I started to run hills. This is about the hardest thing you can do if you want to push your body...

I started running 2-3 miles a day... and would run small hills along the way. I built up to 4-5 miles with no less than a dozen brutal hills every other day.

My routine now involves lifting and running.

I do circuit training one day (lift weights with no rest between sets)

I jump rope in between sets for 2-3 minutes, then do the next round of sets. I never stop for a break.

Then on my off days I run the 4-5 miles and run every hill I can, making sure I run at least a dozen hills before I stop.

I played foot hockey a little while back and I was running my ass off and never got tired. While other players where bending over their sticks to get air, I never had to.

When I used to play on feet years ago I just sort of walked and jogged a little...I hated playing on my feet because I had to run. So it was a huge change for me.

If you really want to see a significant change in your cardio... jumping rope and hill training will do wonders for you.
i will definately look into this. i don't know if there are ropes at my gym but this seems like something i can do at home. thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank19 View Post
No. The eliptical is great for weight loss and somewhat strengthening your legs.
I can easily do an hour on an eliptical, but struggle with running for more than 30 minutes.

Running will get you in much better cardiovascular shape.

But saying that, if you want to get in good shape for floor hockey start doing suicide-lines.

Do 15 minutes of those 3 days a week and you'll be good to go.
i have done those before and died after one suicide drill, altough i went at full speed. the only thing is i don't really have access to a gym else i would've definately done it. might start doing one or 2 before a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsGuy80 View Post

i'm not training only for floor hockey but for overall getting fit. i don't find it normal that i play hockey 2-3 times a week yet have horrible cardio, so i rather do something about it which will make me more fit and a better player instead of staying how i am.

Old
01-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the watcher View Post
i will definately look into this. i don't know if there are ropes at my gym but this seems like something i can do at home. thx
Check out Buddy Lee's Website (no not the jean guy)- http://www.buddyleejumpropes.com/

There are tons of workouts and ropes you can buy.

I was going through a jump rope a month... they would just snap because I used them so much. Then I heard about this guy and bought one of his jump ropes, and it hasn't broken in about a year.

It is the Aero rope:

http://estore.websitepros.com/1220297/Detail.bok?no=10

Also make sure you get the right length rope. I'm 6 foot and I was using ropes that where too small for me... so it made it hard to jump.

Once I got the right sized rope it was like night and day.

If you are 6 ft+ get at least a 9 foot rope.

Old
01-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Slick

$35 for a jump rope?! Yeesh...

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
$35 for a jump rope?! Yeesh...
Well I was paying $10-12 every month for a new one, so $35 for a jump rope that has lasted a year is a great price.

You can also buy replacement rope for like $4 and you just hook it onto the handles and you are good for another year or so.

Plus the ball bearings on the Aero rope are really smooth and make jumping rope alot more fun than the cheap ass models.

Old
01-19-2008, 11:17 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AmHV3AvFA

I'm guessing the footwork equipment is custom made or specialized but I can imagine thats a pretty intense workout. Wish I could do something like that, it looks pretty effective for better footwork.

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote