HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Logan Couture

Old
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Logan Couture

What is the popular consensus on this guy? I know he had mono going into his draft year and his stock slipped somewhat with his lackluster production. His production looks even worse this year, and he didn't play for Team Canada. Why is he struggling, is his stock slipping even more?

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Ten

Suffered a concussion last night too, they said on Sportsnet, after crashing head first into the turnbuckle on the end of the glass.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:03 PM
WestCoast

Wasn't thrilled with that pick from the Sharks, Cherepanov was what I was hoping for the Sharks have always missed a top tier sniper and he was there for the picking.

WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftindust View Post
Suffered a concussion last night too, they said on Sportsnet, after crashing head first into the turnbuckle on the end of the glass.
I was watching the game, he recently came off a concussion after getting hammered with a clean hit and then runs into the turnbuckle head first. Doesn't look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Wasn't thrilled with that pick from the Sharks, Cherepanov was what I was hoping for the Sharks have always missed a top tier sniper and he was there for the picking.
Couture is a very solid prospect. He's well coached under Kilrea and a very solid two-way center. Maybe not an elite prospect but very good. Don't get the love for Cherapanov at all, very overrated, attitude issues and he's Russian which is a problem itself these days.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:27 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
I was watching the game, he recently came off a concussion after getting hammered with a clean hit and then runs into the turnbuckle head first. Doesn't look good.

Couture is a very solid prospect. He's well coached under Kilrea and a very solid two-way center. Maybe not an elite prospect but very good. Don't get the love for Cherapanov at all, very overrated, attitude issues and he's Russian which is a problem itself these days.
What? He isn't scoring at quite the same rate for Omsk, but this guy is the real deal. Plus there is no evidence of attitude problems. From what I've heard/read, he's a pretty good team guy

As for Couture, he better get healthy. If injuries becomes an issue again next year, then you have to start worrying about him.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:

were did you hear that he has attitude issues? or is that just what everyone thinks about all russian prospects?? because i think he has great attitude. and i dont think that him being russian is a problem. he has said several times that he's dream is to play in the NHL...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
johnny canuckistan

This is a thread about Couture, not Cherapanov. Couture is a solid two-way player, and I'd say the odds of him becoming a regular NHL player are 95%.

The odds of the Russian player in question? He's got the talent, I guess, but the incentive for these guys to come to North America and play in the minors for a year or two is growing ever thinner with our salary cap, and Russia's oil money.

I think the Sharks made a great pick.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
This is a thread about Couture, not Cherapanov. Couture is a solid two-way player, and I'd say the odds of him becoming a regular NHL player are 95%.

The odds of the Russian player in question? He's got the talent, I guess, but the incentive for these guys to come to North America and play in the minors for a year or two is growing ever thinner with our salary cap, and Russia's oil money.

I think the Sharks made a great pick.

this is a thread about couture. not russian players

jk...

Old
01-11-2008, 12:19 PM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
this is a thread about couture. not russian players

jk...
Cheeky...

I contrasted Couture's NHL odds with the Russian kid's odds.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
OrrNumber4

I think he may have been a reach at his position, but considering his mono and his injury problems, if he picks it up he could be a #1 center in the NHL. He is also a fantastic leader.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I think he may have been a reach at his position, but considering his mono and his injury problems, if he picks it up he could be a #1 center in the NHL. He is also a fantastic leader.
As a Leaf fan, I cringe to see a 1st round pick with the initials L.C. to be injured like this so much before his career even starts.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
What? He isn't scoring at quite the same rate for Omsk, but this guy is the real deal. Plus there is no evidence of attitude problems. From what I've heard/read, he's a pretty good team guy

As for Couture, he better get healthy. If injuries becomes an issue again next year, then you have to start worrying about him.
Quote:
were did you hear that he has attitude issues? or is that just what everyone thinks about all russian prospects?? because i think he has great attitude. and i dont think that him being russian is a problem. he has said several times that he's dream is to play in the NHL...
So what is it that made him drop to 17th? If there are no attitude issues or problems with him being Russian then I wouldn't want him over Couture anyway because he didn't go until 17th and Couture went 11th and that would be on hockey talent then. I've never heard a logical reason why Cherepanov dropped all the way to 17th and we should still believe he's an elite prospect.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
pld459666

Quote:
So what is it that made him drop to 17th? If there are no attitude issues or problems with him being Russian then I wouldn't want him over Couture anyway because he didn't go until 17th and Couture went 11th and that would be on hockey talent then. I've never heard a logical reason why Cherepanov dropped all the way to 17th and we should still believe he's an elite prospect.
IIHL Transfer agreement.

None of the GM's know what to expect with the lack of a transfer agreement in place.

That said, any player there, when their contracts are over have the right to come over here. Cherry has this year and next on his RSL Contract and will be in NA is short order.

I like Couture, but the Rangers needed a top end talent like Cherry in a huge way.

To bad about Logan though

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Stephen

Sounds like Logan Couture is having a tough time. Those concussions can be nasty for development, hopefully he can stay healthy and avoid ending up like another Ottawa 67 product, Alyn McCauley.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:40 PM
wings5

If not for the mono early in the year and If his skating was better Couture likely would have went top 5 in the NHL draft.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
If not for the mono early in the year and If his skating was better Couture likely would have went top 5 in the NHL draft.
i seriously doubt that....

Old
01-11-2008, 09:18 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Well then you need to learn more about Logan Couture. I heard very similar things at the start of last season.

Old
01-11-2008, 09:37 PM
RUSqueelin

Quote:
If Couture doesn't get Mono and things go his way, he would have been a top 5 pick, likely would have played in the Super Series and thus would have played in the Czech Rep last week. He's that solid of a prospect.

RUSqueelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Ten

Quote:
Well then you need to learn more about Logan Couture. I heard very similar things at the start of last season.
And Esposito was the consensus #1 overall pick last season...

We all know how that turned out.

Old
01-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Brandinho
destinado a morir

Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Even if he reaches his maximum potential, he'll never be a #1 center. He's a solid prospect and is probably underrated around here, but he doesn't have that kind of upside.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Big Phil

Solid is the word I'd use to describe him. Safe is another good word. He's going to be an NHLer that's for sure. With Cherepanov and Esposito that isnt the case 100%. We dont know with them but Couture will not flop. He plays two great of a two-way game to not be successful. He'll be at the '09 WJC and personally he wouldnt have looked out of place in this team

His upside is limited but maybe a defensive minded forward that racks up 70 points in the NHL isnt a bad scenario

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Heading in to last year, Couture was considered the odds-on favourite to go first overall.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
i know enough about him. and even without mono.. i dont see him getting drafted ahead of kane, turris, JVR....

Old
01-13-2008, 11:43 AM
STAALing

Quote:
i know enough about him. and even without mono.. i dont see him getting drafted ahead of kane, turris, JVR....
Still two spots for a top5

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post
Still two spots for a top5
ahhh. i thought he was saying top 3. i miss read it...

top 5.. maybe.. the kings picked hickey at #4 so who knows if couture hadnt got mono...