HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Ovechkin re-signs: 13 years, $124M

Old
01-10-2008, 06:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
OT- Ovechkin re-signs: 13 years, $124M

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3190712

Signing him to an offer sheet no longer an option (if it ever was). Man, is that the going rate for a young superstar?

EDIT: I know it's just been mentioned in the Around the NHL thread, but Ovechkin is discussed routinely in lots of threads here. Sorry to mods if you feel like it needs a merge.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:29 PM
NHLhockey1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3190712

Signing him to an offer sheet no longer an option (if it ever was). Man, is that the going rate for a young superstar?

EDIT: I know it's just been mentioned in the Around the NHL thread, but Ovechkin is discussed routinely in lots of threads here. Sorry to mods if you feel like it needs a merge.
Wowowpollooza! Haha, we should sign Staal for that much (Just kidding! . If he turns in to Leetch and scores 80 pts next season I'd sure as hell sign Staal for 12 years for 7,000,000 per year).

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:30 PM
Smashley

Whoah.................

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Heavy.

So much for Ovy in Ranger Blue.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

He deserves every penny

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
There's always 2022

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
There's always 2022
Now that is weird to think about...

But in all honesty, as much as I would have loved to see Ovie in blue, I'm glad that one of the league's budding superstars is staying with the team that drafted him in a market with a lot of potential...hopefully he can grow hockey there.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
He deserves every penny
hah. i was going to post the exact same thing.

here's a guy thats already a top 5 player, and probably will be for the duration of the contract. very well could be the greatest capital ever. and he has a great personality and attitude to boot. everything you hope for in a player.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
The Thomas J.*

UNREAL! Leonis never learns

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Maybe the Rangers can bail Washington out of a ridiculous contract of a European superstar if he's not working out there.. again.
clause details:
Quote:
GM George McPhee said the contract contains a limited movement clause that kicks in when he's 27, at which point Ovechkin will submit a list of teams to which he would refuse a trade prior to each season. McPhee wouldn't say how many teams, but it was a "few" more than five.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:18 PM
in the hall

Quote:
whats there that needs to be learned? this was a shrewd move.

mike richards? no.
rick dipietro? at the time i'd say no but he's proving his worth and earning that contract.

alex ovechkin? if you have that opportunity to lock him up for the majority of his career till the end of his prime years, do it.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
bumrusherer

The money isnt too bad for them, they can deal with it.

The problem, IMO, is the years. So much can happen over time, that they are taking a massive risk with the years.
Grant Hill is a perfect example.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
jagrgodr

i am happy to see him make that contract. He really seemed to love it in DC, and he just seems like such a great guy and its nice to see washington lock him up. They needed Someone of his skill to make hockey interesting in this area

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:06 AM
robertdsc44

I think it's too long and for too much. I also think contracts like this, DP, and the kid in Philly's are going to kill this league.

I shudder to think what Sidney Crosby's deal is going to be.

robertdsc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdsc44 View Post
I think it's too long and for too much. I also think contracts like this, DP, and the kid in Philly's are going to kill this league.

I shudder to think what Sidney Crosby's deal is going to be.
But we already know what it will be. He'll get the player max (20% of the cap.) As for how long, I'm guessing it won't be for more than 5 or 6 years. By that time the cap will be up 15m or so and he'll get another max deal...and so on.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:39 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
whats there that needs to be learned? this was a shrewd move.

mike richards? no.
rick dipietro? at the time i'd say no but he's proving his worth and earning that contract.

alex ovechkin? if you have that opportunity to lock him up for the majority of his career till the end of his prime years, do it.
these are the same owners who cried poverty giving out long term contracts, sure they are working the system that they wanted but eantually it catches up to them & they are crying how much money they are losing.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:16 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
these are the same owners who cried poverty giving out long term contracts, sure they are working the system that they wanted but eantually it catches up to them & they are crying how much money they are losing.
Yes--another example of why the league had to shut down the 2004-05 season. Cap or no cap--the owners cannot control themselves and we're heading right back to where we were before. When it comes time to raise the cap again this summer the Caps will be right behind it as will the Rangers no doubt (they've always had the money to spend anyway--it's the deciding who to spend it on that's the problem).

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Yes--another example of why the league had to shut down the 2004-05 season. Cap or no cap--the owners cannot control themselves and we're heading right back to where we were before. When it comes time to raise the cap again this summer the Caps will be right behind it as will the Rangers no doubt (they've always had the money to spend anyway--it's the deciding who to spend it on that's the problem).
The fans are the ones who pay, higher ticket & concession prices, lets not 4get in a cap world were one or 2 perhaps three players can command that type of money on one team its getting harder & harder to fill out the rst of the team, the B or 3rd 4th line talent cost is higher, much higher than it should be, we are seeing some outrageous contracts given out to those type of players that is pricing them out of the market, so you have to turn to the farm system & hope you drafted well enough to compete, but in most cases those role players never develop fast enough to match with the Superstar earning vets than you can compete No playoffs, no cup, fans get disenchanted & stop paying to see the team, & the cycle repeats itself alll over again.

The prolbem with these tpes of contracts is that every owner & GM thinks that they are reinenting the wheel with all these long term contracts, its going to create more prolbems than they will slove in the longrun, & the mindset that these players are tradable somewhere down the line is a dangerous mindset to have.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:27 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The fans are the ones who pay, higher ticket & concession prices, lets not 4get in a cap world were one or 2 perhaps three players can command that type of money on one team its getting harder & harder to fill out the rest of the team, the B or 3rd 4th line talent cost is higher, much higher than it should be, we are seeing some outrageous contracts given out to those type of players that is pricing them out of the market, so you have to turn to the farm system & hope you drafted well enough to compete, but in most cases those role players never develop fast enough to match with the Superstar earning vets than you can't compete No playoffs, no cup, fans get disenchanted & stop paying to see the team, & the cycle repeats itself all over again.

The prolbem with these types of contracts is that every owner & GM thinks that they are reinventing the wheel with all these long term contracts, its going to create more prolbems than they will slove in the longrun, & the mindset that these players are tradable somewhere down the line is a dangerous mindset to have.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:37 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
The fans are the ones who pay, higher ticket & concession prices, lets not 4get in a cap world were one or 2 perhaps three players can command that type of money on one team its getting harder & harder to fill out the rest of the team, the B or 3rd 4th line talent cost is higher, much higher than it should be, we are seeing some outrageous contracts given out to those type of players that is pricing them out of the market, so you have to turn to the farm system & hope you drafted well enough to compete, but in most cases those role players never develop fast enough to match with the Superstar earning vets than you can't compete No playoffs, no cup, fans get disenchanted & stop paying to see the team, & the cycle repeats itself all over again.

The prolbem with these types of contracts is that every owner & GM thinks that they are reinventing the wheel with all these long term contracts, its going to create more prolbems than they will slove in the longrun, & the mindset that these players are tradable somewhere down the line is a dangerous mindset to have.
And when a big contract doesn't work that team is screwed. They are in the position of making a big payout long term and instead of fixing a problem--they've created one and so they need more money to buy another fix.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Now all the kids on the board can stop dreaming of the Rangers signing him to an offer sheet after the season. THANK GOD I won't have to read another ridiculous post about how the Rangers should throw $75m over 7 years at him. He's signed, GAME OVER!

Hope he plays out a long miserable career in D.C. without ever making the playoffs!

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:11 AM
chosen

What this proves is that all of the threads talking about acquiring soon to be superstars via free agency are a waste of time to even think about. The very best will rarely come free.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
TheHotRock

crosby signed for 8.7 per didnt he? dont remember the amount of year but i think it was 8.

time to focus our efforts on bringing in Ilya K

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:47 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
What this proves is that all of the threads talking about acquiring soon to be superstars via free agency are a waste of time to even think about. The very best will rarely come free.
That's a scary thought with a lot of trickle down ramifications. Such as, what happens to a marginal guy who doesn't really deserve a long term or lots of money? Will teams feel compelled to make that offer because of the relatively low chances of being able to improve the position anywhere but the draft?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote