HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Ovechkin re-signs: 13 years, $124M

Old
01-11-2008, 10:24 AM
WheresBarnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
So much for Ovy in Ranger Blue.
Nah, we'll get him when he's Jagr's age.

Way too long, and too much money, but Ovechkin is the bomb.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

This deal has an A-Rod like feel to it. It could be the deal that ruins the NHL completely. Guys nowhere near as good as A.O. are going to be looking for 10 year deals in the area of $100m now. Henrik's agent will probably look for an additional couple of years now that A.O. has signed for 13. I just don't understand it. The owners complained about how out of hand the league had gotten with the salaries far outweighing the revenues and they continue to sign off on deals like this. I just don't get it and eventually this league will be destroyed by contracts like this. It's just outright stupidity to sign a player like this for a record setting contract. He was years away from UFA and Washington essentially bid against themselves here because I don't think any other team was looking to pay him this much for this long of a period of time.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Celestial Black

It was expected. Washington was not going to let the face of the Capitals get picked up by anyone else. They are trying to set up for the future and he really is their captain. Semin and Backstrom are two players that I think will be right beside him.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:11 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
That's a scary thought with a lot of trickle down ramifications. Such as, what happens to a marginal guy who doesn't really deserve a long term or lots of money? Will teams feel compelled to make that offer because of the relatively low chances of being able to improve the position anywhere but the draft?
I don't understand what you wrote. Could you re-phrase it?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I don't understand what you wrote. Could you re-phrase it?
Do 2nd tier players begin to be overpaid if teams don't have access to a top tier replacement.

Example. Do you bring back Straka for more time or money than you want to because there isn't an upgrade available in the UFA pool?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:25 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Do 2nd tier players begin to be overpaid if teams don't have access to a top tier replacement.

Example. Do you bring back Straka for more time or money than you want to because there isn't an upgrade available in the UFA pool?

To me both Drury and Gomez are 2nd tier players. Gomez is the better signing as he's entering his prime. The Drury signing became necessary because of the Nylander situation. Drury however has been out of sync with just about every line combination. I think basically we not only have to look at team needs but also focus on the player availability in terms of age (or younger UFA's such as Hartnell was going to be before the Flyers dealt and then signed him just before the UFA signing period) before we sign players to expensive long term contracts. Drury this season almost equals Mike Keane in his season for us. The Rangers forwards also have a problem with size and physical play. It seems I've been beating this drum for the last couple months but we have too many small forwards which is one reason I think that Renney plays the HBO line (despite its obvious lack of talent) so much.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote