HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assistant Coaches running the team..haha

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-24-2008, 07:46 PM
  #1
wrx27
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: Germany
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Assistant Coaches running the team..haha

We know why our powerplay rocks but check this out..

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Assistant coach Terry Murray made a couple adjustments that seem to have paid off, according to Mike Richards.

“[Murray] put in place what he wants us to do. It seemed like before we were trying to push offense a little bit too much and turn pucks over, and they ended up capitalizing on the opportunities that we were giving them,” said Richards, who has five shorthanded goals. “Now, we’re trying to keep it simple and get the puck 200 feet (down the ice). When the opportunity is there, we’ll take it, but we can’t force the issue.”

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
  #2
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,725
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
hahaha, and somehow stevens finds a way to screw it up

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 07:51 PM
  #3
Richyrich
Registered User
 
Richyrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,164
vCash: 500
So that's why the team has looked so much better the past few games... It looks like this team may go somewhere.

Murray is the man I think we should give him another shot

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
  #4
Flyers_01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
It comes down to structure and being on the same page, but it’s commitment and work ethic and little intangible things like blocking shots and big saves that go a long way to helping the penalty kill,” said the head coach.
So it comes down to the things Stevens has been ignoring all year. Got it.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:08 PM
  #5
mikefavata
A.I.M.
 
mikefavata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Juno Beach, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,589
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
So...what exactly is it that Stevens is doing again?
Being busy hating Lasse Kukkonen.

mikefavata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:10 PM
  #6
Kambo
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
So...what exactly is it that Stevens is doing again?
Too busy doing Jones and Modry.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:11 PM
  #7
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersHockey1967 View Post
So...what exactly is it that Stevens is doing again?


What would you say....you DO here???

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:16 PM
  #8
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,088
vCash: 500
Awards:
I don't understand, if Stevens is as bad as everyone says, how come Holmgren - who has my respect as a GM - is keeping him around?

It's not like last year, where this year you are fighting for a playoff spot.

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:17 PM
  #9
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post


What would you say....you DO here???
LOL

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:22 PM
  #10
27roenick97
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx27 View Post
We know why our powerplay rocks but check this out..

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Assistant coach Terry Murray made a couple adjustments that seem to have paid off, according to Mike Richards.

“[Murray] put in place what he wants us to do. It seemed like before we were trying to push offense a little bit too much and turn pucks over, and they ended up capitalizing on the opportunities that we were giving them,” said Richards, who has five shorthanded goals. “Now, we’re trying to keep it simple and get the puck 200 feet (down the ice). When the opportunity is there, we’ll take it, but we can’t force the issue.”
...who's team is it? i really hope stevens is going to be toast and murray gets another shot. i am a bit young and don't really recall the murray coaching era here, but the guy's record overall has got to speak for something: 360-288-89. go figure that we'll end the season w/ both special teams in the top ten--stevens has nothing to do with either except ****ing with the lines...

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:24 PM
  #11
27roenick97
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I don't understand, if Stevens is as bad as everyone says, how come Holmgren - who has my respect as a GM - is keeping him around?

It's not like last year, where this year you are fighting for a playoff spot.
stevens is like that old, senile family pet that you know should just die but you don't have the heart to do it, or even wish it. thats why homer kept him past that ten game skid and why we'll probably see him next year.

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:28 PM
  #12
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx27 View Post
We know why our powerplay rocks but check this out..

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page

Assistant coach Terry Murray made a couple adjustments that seem to have paid off, according to Mike Richards.

“[Murray] put in place what he wants us to do. It seemed like before we were trying to push offense a little bit too much and turn pucks over, and they ended up capitalizing on the opportunities that we were giving them,” said Richards, who has five shorthanded goals. “Now, we’re trying to keep it simple and get the puck 200 feet (down the ice). When the opportunity is there, we’ll take it, but we can’t force the issue.”
my god, i can't imagine someone making those critiques of the way the team has been playing this year. i mean, that's just shocking!

btw, just to be clear, those are the same things they do at even strength.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
  #13
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500

"I carry the waterbottles from the locker room to the bench so the assistant coaches don't have to."



"Doesn't the equipment manager just do that?"



"Well...no. Well yeah...I mean, sometimes."



"What would you say....you DO here???"



"Look, I already told you. I deal with the god damn waterbottles so the assistant coaches don't have to!! I have motor skills!! I am good at carrying waterbottles!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:43 PM
  #14
Ri hards
Registered User
 
Ri hards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
Quick Jules! We need you to make a "Jump to the Lineup" mat:


It would be awesome if we could have squares for Kukks and Downie that have been cut out of the mat and lying beside it.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:51 PM
  #15
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
...who's team is it? i really hope stevens is going to be toast and murray gets another shot. i am a bit young and don't really recall the murray coaching era here, but the guy's record overall has got to speak for something: 360-288-89. go figure that we'll end the season w/ both special teams in the top ten--stevens has nothing to do with either except ****ing with the lines...
Murray during the SCF went to the media saying the team was choking and playing like **** and everything else about the players. After that Lindros became pissed, the rift between the players and coaches grew pretty big and Clarke had to fire him, if i recall everything correctly.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:05 PM
  #16
Flyers_01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Murray during the SCF went to the media saying the team was choking and playing like **** and everything else about the players. After that Lindros became pissed, the rift between the players and coaches grew pretty big and Clarke had to fire him, if i recall everything correctly.
A pity the Flyers didn't get as pissed off on the ice as they did off of it. Murray told the truth and the players didn't like it.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:35 PM
  #17
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
Quick Jules! We need you to make a "Jump to the Lineup" mat:


It would be awesome if we could have squares for Kukks and Downie that have been cut out of the mat and lying beside it.
His jump to conclusions mat would only have the following options: Scratch a heart and soul player, Dump and Chase, Play a mediocre d-man 30 minutes.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:37 PM
  #18
Ri hards
Registered User
 
Ri hards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,795
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
His jump to conclusions mat would only have the following options: Scratch a heart and soul player, Dump and Chase, Play a mediocre d-man 30 minutes.
indeed. Let's wait and see what Jules comes up with though. . .I'm as anxious as a fat kid watching a pie cool on the sill!

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:55 AM
  #19
Mythology
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was very common that both the PK and PP play are primarily assistant coach responsibilities.

Mythology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
  #20
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was very common that both the PK and PP play are primarily assistant coach responsibilities.
it is... but it has been the contention of some that not giving Stevens a ton of credit for the PP specifically--due to it's obvious importance to the team's success this year--was ignorant, since Stevens was the "head coach." this is just further evidence of the delegation of authority from Stevens (which there is nothing wrong with).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:00 PM
  #21
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
I don't understand, if Stevens is as bad as everyone says, how come Holmgren - who has my respect as a GM - is keeping him around?

It's not like last year, where this year you are fighting for a playoff spot.
He's not Lou where he has the balls to fire a coach in the waning days of the season. If Holmgren fires Stevens, and it backfires, Holmgren is going to pay for it. Holmgren likely isn't even the guy who would make the decision to begin with, that would be Snider, since he orchestrated this to begin with.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
  #22
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Sorry to keep you waiting...it was in th "shop thread.

A little variation,,,


Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:03 PM
  #23
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular
 
claude boivin lives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I thought it was very common that both the PK and PP play are primarily assistant coach responsibilities.
I think that is somewhat common. And I don't think Stevens doesn't do anything or is as horrible of a coach as my previous posts in this thread would suggest. I was just having a little fun with the Office Space thing. I couldn't resist after FlyersHockey1967 asked, "So...what exactly is it that Stevens is doing again?"

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:06 PM
  #24
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
Sorry to keep you waiting...it was in th "shop thread.

A little variation,,,

That's awesome. My only criticism would be take out Smith completely, put in Kukkonen. I guess Vandy can go to, since he's not on the team anymore.

But a job well done.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
  #25
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post

"I carry the waterbottles from the locker room to the bench so the assistant coaches don't have to."



"Doesn't the equipment manager just do that?"



"Well...no. Well yeah...I mean, sometimes."



"What would you say....you DO here???"



"Look, I already told you. I deal with the god damn waterbottles so the assistant coaches don't have to!! I have motor skills!! I am good at carrying waterbottles!!! Can't you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!

thats great, lol

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.