HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Post-Game quotes from Sam

Old
01-11-2008, 10:28 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Post-Game quotes from Sam

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com
Quote:
Note that even Tom Renney is acknowledging the season is slipping away.

“The games are starting to diminish. They start to fade away pretty fast,” Tom Renney said. “So we can not sit here and feel sorry for ourselves. I’m not happy with our play. I’m not happy with the way we’ve been unable to deal with this. But clearly I’ve got to do a better job, too. It’s time for me to step up. What we’ve got to do is recognize this is a situation that is staring us right in the face. Our season is probably somewhere in the next couple of weeks.”
“Obviously we’re a fragile team, and that’s a bad thing,” said Scott Gomez. “As an older guy, that’s letting the younger guys down.”
“It’s always frustrating when you’re not there for the team, to make that extra save when you get a chance,” Henrik Lundqvist said. “The only thing I can do is work harder in practice than I did before. But somehow the puck finds a way to go in. It’s not good.”
Things get worse and worse especially when the players are even acknowledging that things are bad.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Stoney La Rock

Believe it or not I find it encouraging that they're stepping up to take responsibility, instead of chalking it up to a bad game or some other lame excuse.

Not that taking responsibility is going to change anything, but at least nobody's looking at things through rose-colored glasses.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:43 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Renney pulled a rabbit out of his hat last season. IMO he needs to do it again to save his job.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Fletch

That rabbit...

was Lundqvist playing out of his mind for 2-3 months; it can happen again, but one needs to really look deep and understand what are some of the issues that face these Rangers and their failure to play consistently. There is something wrong here.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:58 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Note that even Tom Renney is acknowledging the season is slipping away.

“The games are starting to diminish. They start to fade away pretty fast,” Tom Renney said. “So we can not sit here and feel sorry for ourselves. I’m not happy with our play. I’m not happy with the way we’ve been unable to deal with this. But clearly I’ve got to do a better job, too. It’s time for me to step up. What we’ve got to do is recognize this is a situation that is staring us right in the face. Our season is probably somewhere in the next couple of weeks.”
“Obviously we’re a fragile team, and that’s a bad thing,” said Scott Gomez. “As an older guy, that’s letting the younger guys down.”
“It’s always frustrating when you’re not there for the team, to make that extra save when you get a chance,” Henrik Lundqvist said. “The only thing I can do is work harder in practice than I did before. But somehow the puck finds a way to go in. It’s not good.”
And Bingo was his name. You can't help but assume Gomez's comments point to a coach thats lost control or the confidence of his team.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:03 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
And Bingo was his name. You can't help but assume Gomez's comments point to a coach thats lost control or the confidence of his team.
I can help it and it doesn't.

Gomez points to himself. It's easy to miss as it's the very next thing he says.

01-11-2008, 11:18 AM
94now

Compare to the season start the team did not improve the offense and lost its excellent goaltending. Hence, the slump. There is no easy solution other then sign Lundqvist fast to big $$$. That may help his mental state and team will recover with him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
was Lundqvist playing out of his mind for 2-3 months; it can happen again, but one needs to really look deep and understand what are some of the issues that face these Rangers and their failure to play consistently. There is something wrong here.

It wasn't all Lundqvist. Fans sometimes get mixed up between a defense shutting things down and a goalie making saves. Guys like Girardi coming out of nowhere and the team having the chemistry it did is what caused the success. The additions of people like Avery as well.

The ability to constantly send out a first line in Straka Nylander Jagr is also what helps too. They could just sit on the other end the entire shift and the results were what they were.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Fletch

In the end...

Lundqvist played well enough during that period of time to be considered one of the top three goaltenders during that period (if not the top). Had Lundqvist been middle of the pack, the games would not have been won and things would've looked different, including Girardi, who's been looking ordinary on more nights than not of late while Lundqvist doesn't stand on his head.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 2679
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
I can help it and it doesn't.

Gomez points to himself. It's easy to miss as it's the very next thing he says.
Why the hell would Gomez be pointing to himself??? Hes played his ass of every game this year and has been one of the few players outside of dubinsky and straka to give 110% every shift.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Lundqvist played well enough during that period of time to be considered one of the top three goaltenders during that period (if not the top). Had Lundqvist been middle of the pack, the games would not have been won and things would've looked different, including Girardi, who's been looking ordinary on more nights than not of late while Lundqvist doesn't stand on his head.
Ludnqvist was losing games before that even though he was playing great. Why was he losing games? Cuz the rest of the team wasn't playing well.

They only started winning when everyone started playing well, not just Lundqvist.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
Why the hell would Gomez be pointing to himself??? Hes played his ass of every game this year and has been one of the few players outside of dubinsky and straka to give 110% every shift.
Vets tend to do that (or maybe just players in general). Instead of blaming other people or certain things, they just blame themselves. It's really the easiest way to answer questions...if your blaming yourself, how can your teammates or anybody else get mad at you?

Everybody, even Gomez himself, knows that his play has been tremendous.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Fletch

I understand, Levitate...

although I give a heck of a lot of credit to Lundqvist, perhaps because of the emphasis on defense I place on winning and the emphasis I place on Lundqvist to this team's sound defense. If I made it seem as though Lundqvist was the 'only' reason, then I apologize for not being clear - although I think that if you look at the goals for and against during the last 37 games compared to the rest of the season you would see a dramatic difference in goals against, and you would see that the goals for actually went down. So what really changed was goaltending.

Old
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Levitate

I think the Rangers started getting more timely scoring too, Fletch. There was definitely a stretch of games where Lundqvist was posting great numbers, but losing every game 0-1 or 1-2. Once the Rangers started scoring more regularly, he started getting the wins to go along with the numbers.

He definitely was a big part, but Jagr coming alive down the stretch helped out tremendously as well

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
Vets tend to do that (or maybe just players in general). Instead of blaming other people or certain things, they just blame themselves. It's really the easiest way to answer questions...if your blaming yourself, how can your teammates or anybody else get mad at you?

Everybody, even Gomez himself, knows that his play has been tremendous.
Yeah, would be weird if Gomez said something like this:
"Yeah, ya know, I think really played excellent game, but I can't win by myself. Jags was really lazy tonight, Hank let up some really s***ty goals, and the refs really made some bad calls that f***ed us over. Also Tom was making some really stupid decisions with the lines, but what else is new?"

Old
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Yeah, would be weird if Gomez said something like this:
"Yeah, ya know, I think really played excellent game, but I can't win by myself. Jags was really lazy tonight, Hank let up some really s***ty goals, and the refs really made some bad calls that f***ed us over. Also Tom was making some really stupid decisions with the lines, but what else is new?"
"Again. Leon can't do everything."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3BkIh1R5utY

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
A couple of bounces our way; a puck finding the twine and not the post; a few less phantom calls as we gain momentum these are little things, mostly out of the players and coaches control, that can change the course of a season.

The NYR feel that they did enough things right in Western Canada to get two wins, but the gods were against them. A little positive karma, a little positive energy from something breaking our way, and the whole thing can change.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:18 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
What? Don't we just need to give it more time to let the team gel? Maybe we have gelled too much and become a pile of mush.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

haha, Leon's the best

Old
01-11-2008, 08:48 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
A couple of bounces our way; a puck finding the twine and not the post; a few less phantom calls as we gain momentum these are little things, mostly out of the players and coaches control, that can change the course of a season.

The NYR feel that they did enough things right in Western Canada to get two wins, but the gods were against them. A little positive karma, a little positive energy from something breaking our way, and the whole thing can change.
I agree. Rangers are doing solid job, the luck is not there. Only outstanding individuals (hockey or not) can win against the odds. I will be disappointed if they start fire/trade people now.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

I love Leon.

But I think our guys need to practice a bit more.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
mergnemi*

Send a message via AIM to mergnemi*
do you guys think maybe all those 1-0, 2-1 games early in the season have taken a toll on the team especially lundqvist? maybe that's it. all those low scoring tight games and the pressure has finally gotten to them. maybe the answer is to loosen things up idk

mergnemi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
do you guys think maybe all those 1-0, 2-1 games early in the season have taken a toll on the team especially lundqvist? maybe that's it. all those low scoring tight games and the pressure has finally gotten to them. maybe the answer is to loosen things up idk
Well, they've had MORE than enough periods off in the last number of games to re-gain their stamina. When was the last time this team played a full 60 minutes? They have ZERO right to blame anything on them being tired. I would blow a ****ing gasket if I heard one of them mention fatigue.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 01:20 AM
NHLhockey1234

More from Weinman:

As I expected, Scott Gomez wasn’t in a mood to do cartwheels even after being named to his second All-Star team (his first was as a rookie, when he said he was “scared s—less”).

“Maybe earlier in my career I’d be more excited, but I’m more worried about what’s going on in here,” he said.

His goofy, affable exterior aside, Gomez is a more serious team guy than you would think. In fact, for all the Rangers missteps last night against the Flyers, Gomez managed to show some grace afterwards when he took full responsibility for the loss, even if he was hardly one of the team’s worst offenders.

It might not be much to relish given the sorry state of the team right now, but at least the Rangers haven’t resorted to pointing fingers. Or at least not yet."

I'll point a finger at someone! It's at Theo Fleury.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:23 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com

Things get worse and worse especially when the players are even acknowledging that things are bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
Believe it or not I find it encouraging that they're stepping up to take responsibility, instead of chalking it up to a bad game or some other lame excuse.

Not that taking responsibility is going to change anything, but at least nobody's looking at things through rose-colored glasses.
It's so nice to see players and coaches willing to step up and say "I need to do more"..."I am a part of this"....rathter then what Jagr did the other day when he said "Coach isn't giving me enough playing time" which was total BS and showed what a PoS he is. Total different aproach....Jagr must go if this team is to get out of it's funk and put the C on someone who can act like a real captain!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote