HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

What to do with our Captain

Old
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Casework

vCash: 500
Mac, I couldn't agree more with the original post.

When I first read that comment, I was going to make a similar thread, but didn't want to be irrational. I wasn't being irrational.

I really don't like Adam Foote. Sorry man, I know you're a warrior. But I wasn't a hockey fan in your Colorado days, and I haven't seen anything from you since.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:26 PM
pipe dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
Mac, I couldn't agree more with the original post.

When I first read that comment, I was going to make a similar thread, but didn't want to be irrational. I wasn't being irrational.

I really don't like Adam Foote. Sorry man, I know you're a warrior. But I wasn't a hockey fan in your Colorado days, and I haven't seen anything from you since.
did you like Luke???????

LOL now that was a leader!!!

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Beer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Don't like those comments from Foote at all. If a guy makes a semi-, sort of, somewhat questionable hit on one of your guys, you make them pay, even if they do the same moves game in, game out. I'm actually flabbergasted that he blew off the criticism of the team's response with such a flippant reply. "Once or twice he's going to get caught?!?" Wrong answer, Adam. Sounds like he's even blaming Z for the hit.

Like Mac, I was also bugged by Foote's comments about leaving Colorado, but I believe that was a 150+ post thread and I don't want to start the discussion up again.

I'm kind of annoyed that we're talking extension with this guy, because ON THE SURFACE, it doesn't look like he's contributed much to the on-ice success over years that he's been here.

Giving Foote his due: Adam has logged ALOT of minutes against the opponents top lines- with next to little support (until the forwards started chipping in this year). That being said- like so many other overpaid vets that have been brought in as stop-gaps under former regimes- his money and receding play are no longer "making-ends-meet". I was/am really hyper-critical about players who come to a "small-market" like Columbus and treat it as a vacation- where the media and fanbase doesn't have them under the same intense scrutiny as places like Toronto for example. I am kind of surprised more hasn't been made of Fed's lack of production- since this was basically a gift year for him. He basically said he wouldn't be happy continuing to "help-out" playing defense- which I took as a passive threat last year. I was fun seeing these guys in Jackets sweaters from a historic perspective- but I will be happier to see some players who can contribute more on the ice than in the locker room.

Beer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
discostu

Pardon an opposing team fan from jumping in here.

On the trade board, I was having a discussion about some of the possible acquisitions that could be made from Columbus. From Ottawa, the two guys that I think could be targetted are Foote (hence why I jumped into this thread) and Fedorov.

The key player I suggested going back is Antoinne Vermette. I prefer not to give up roster players for deadline rentals, but, I figure where Columbus is, pure picks and prospects aren't that coveted right now, and, Vermette, who continues to struggle to get playing time in Ottawa (and is increasingly frustrated by it) probably won't be on the roster next year anyways. In Columbus, he could get a lot of opportunity, with a lot of weakness up the middle.

I know F&F have been the source of frustration for some Columbus fans, but, I'd be willing to take the risk that they'd be rejuvenated by a playoff run, and, by being in insulated roles. Foote would be a guy that plays bottom pairing, and, some second unit PK time. Fedorov would be a guy that could hopefully contribute on a second or third line, play some PP time. Both would be invaluable with their cup experience.

The question is, what type of additional return is required over and above Vermette to go after two aged veterans. Would the expected return be much higher than that. Are they on the block?

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:18 PM
LaCosta Nostra

Somewhat related... wasn't the plan at the start of the year to not be playing Foote as many minutes anymore? Just checked and he leads the team in TOI. So much for that plan. Hopefully bringing up Methot and shaking up the 2nd/3rd lines can alleviate his playing time a little and maybe rejuvenate him for later in the season.

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:20 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Pardon an opposing team fan from jumping in here.

On the trade board, I was having a discussion about some of the possible acquisitions that could be made from Columbus. From Ottawa, the two guys that I think could be targetted are Foote (hence why I jumped into this thread) and Fedorov.

The key player I suggested going back is Antoinne Vermette. I prefer not to give up roster players for deadline rentals, but, I figure where Columbus is, pure picks and prospects aren't that coveted right now, and, Vermette, who continues to struggle to get playing time in Ottawa (and is increasingly frustrated by it) probably won't be on the roster next year anyways. In Columbus, he could get a lot of opportunity, with a lot of weakness up the middle.

I know F&F have been the source of frustration for some Columbus fans, but, I'd be willing to take the risk that they'd be rejuvenated by a playoff run, and, by being in insulated roles. Foote would be a guy that plays bottom pairing, and, some second unit PK time. Fedorov would be a guy that could hopefully contribute on a second or third line, play some PP time. Both would be invaluable with their cup experience.

The question is, what type of additional return is required over and above Vermette to go after two aged veterans. Would the expected return be much higher than that. Are they on the block?
I would bet either could be had for the right price. Howson has suggested, as you've read here, that he's open to Adam coming back, but if he got an offer like Vermette for Foote straight up and didn't take it, I would lead the pitchfork-and-torch assault on his office at Nationwide. For both F&F, I'd hope for another roster player - one of the Sens' young d-men, perhaps - but I suppose it would depend on who's got the proverbial "hand" in the negotiations. Meszaros is also RFA, yes?

Old
01-11-2008, 02:21 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Howson expressed interest in re-signing Foote. If discussions go no where, I am betting he will be available.

Some of the other fans might disagree, but I'm sure the Jackets are listening intently at all offers for Feds and it probably wouldn't take much to get him.

I don't have much of an opinion on Vermette, so I'll let some other people touch on him.... From what I remember, I would take him for Feds, but I don't watch the East much.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
DougKnowsBest

what should we do with him? boo him relentlessly.

we need to let him know that even though the team doesn't, the fans bring their A game every night.

vermette is alright. good speed. puck possesion. needs a set up guy. in my humble opinion not having seen him much this year

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Nut View Post
Somewhat related... wasn't the plan at the start of the year to not be playing Foote as many minutes anymore? Just checked and he leads the team in TOI. So much for that plan. Hopefully bringing up Methot and shaking up the 2nd/3rd lines can alleviate his playing time a little and maybe rejuvenate him for later in the season.

I know Hitchcock expressed the need to lower Fedorov's minutes, I don't recall him mentioning Foote.

I do agree with those who mentioned Foote's poor wording habit...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
I've spent 2 1/2 years expecting to be glad Adam Foote was on this team. As I think back on it, there have only been a few occasions where that was actually true. His battles with "foot-in-mouth" disease haven't helped that situation this year.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:45 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I know Hitchcock expressed the need to lower Fedorov's minutes, I don't recall him mentioning Foote.
Yep Hitch mentioned Foote as well. He was supposed to play less on the PP and he has played less on the PP.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
WrightOn

I'll accept Foote if he's back next year. I'll support Howson's decision, as long as it is for less $.
If Foote is here, its because Hitch wants him here, so I'm down.

I support support support. Same if he leaves or is traded.

Support the team.

Be positive.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:50 PM
discostu

Meszaros would be completely off the table. There would be little chance two roster players get moved, and, if there was anyone else, Meszaros wouldn't be that guy. Schubert is more likely, but, even him, I wouldn't let go heading into the post-season.

If the issue is trying to retain Foote, you can rest assured that he'd be highly unlikely to remain in Ottawa after this season. Ottawa's got it's cap issues coming in, which is what makes Vermette expendable, if that changes the approach that the team would take with Foote. Other teams have been using the trade and re-sign route, but, it's often a risky venture.

Older prospects that haven't been able to break through onto Ottawa's roster would be readily made available, like Hennessy (a Vermette-type forward who seemed to regress when the season started and got quickly overtaken on the depth chart) or a guy like Nycholat (great puck moving defenceman in the AHL, but, has bounced around a fair bit, and is getting older now). Russian prospects Nikulin or Zubov could be made available. Both have crossed the pond, and have shown a willingness to learn the North American game in the AHL.

Old
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Meszaros would be completely off the table. There would be little chance two roster players get moved, and, if there was anyone else, Meszaros wouldn't be that guy. Schubert is more likely, but, even him, I wouldn't let go heading into the post-season.

If the issue is trying to retain Foote, you can rest assured that he'd be highly unlikely to remain in Ottawa after this season. Ottawa's got it's cap issues coming in, which is what makes Vermette expendable, if that changes the approach that the team would take with Foote. Other teams have been using the trade and re-sign route, but, it's often a risky venture.

Older prospects that haven't been able to break through onto Ottawa's roster would be readily made available, like Hennessy (a Vermette-type forward who seemed to regress when the season started and got quickly overtaken on the depth chart) or a guy like Nycholat (great puck moving defenceman in the AHL, but, has bounced around a fair bit, and is getting older now). Russian prospects Nikulin or Zubov could be made available. Both have crossed the pond, and have shown a willingness to learn the North American game in the AHL.
Like I said, I figured two roster players would be asking too much. Not really that interested in Schubert, esp. if the alternative is prospects. Hennessey and Nikulin are interesting, and maybe Kudelka - what is your take on him? Maybe Bass as a future Malhotra-type?

As far as I'm concerned, I'd do Vermette + whatever combo of prospects/pix for Foote & Feds, but that's just me.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:00 PM
DougKnowsBest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrightOn View Post
I'll accept Foote if he's back next year. I'll support Howson's decision, as long as it is for less $.
If Foote is here, its because Hitch wants him here, so I'm down.

I support support support. Same if he leaves or is traded.

Support the team.

Be positive.

hell yes support the team no matter what.

but the more the capt opens his mouth the more i want to shut it

Old
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Like I said, I figured two roster players would be asking too much. Not really that interested in Schubert, esp. if the alternative is prospects. Hennessey and Nikulin are interesting, and maybe Kudelka - what is your take on him? Maybe Bass as a future Malhotra-type?

As far as I'm concerned, I'd do Vermette + whatever combo of prospects/pix for Foote & Feds, but that's just me.
Some of my thoughts on the prospects:

Hennessy - He's looked good in stretches, and has been a successful top line player in the AHL for a few years now. He's a guy that might shine with more opportunity to stick at an NHL level, or, he could become a career AHLer. I know the Binghamton Senator fans on the board aren't too high on him, despite some good point totals the past few years.

Nikulin - He's got a cult following on our board, because he has a very candid blog, about his experiences coming over from the RSL. Kid's got a great attitude, but, he's still adjusting to NA life. He had a two game stint up here, and, didn't do too well, but, with a strong language barrier, and, such a small stint, it's hard to judge him negatively on it. Again, his attitude is his strongest part, as, after that bad stint, he went down, and has played great at teh AHL level since.

Kudelka - I've liked him every time I've seen him, but, he's definitely available if someone wants him. He's gotten the short end of the stick so far it seems. He got cut in camp before he had a chance to play a pre-season game, and, any time there's an abundance of defenceman in the minors, he's been shuffled off to the ECHL.

Bass - He'd probably have been a guy that would have been considered as potential trade bait a month or two ago, as, I'm sure the expectation that it would be a few years before he'd be an NHLer, but, he's done very well with a call-up role, and, plays the style that Murray loves. I can't see him letting him go, unless someone really pushes hard for him.

I get the sense that these two teams may be trade partners down the line. Murray has stated that he wants a top 6 forward, and, he liked Fedorov's game enough in the past to give him a huge offer. Maybe he felt burned by it, but, I think unless one of the other options comes through, whcih seem more like long shots right now (Forsberg coming back, getting Sundin or Hossa from current conference rivals) there aren't too many great options out there.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I said it before and I'll say it again. Much of Foote's success this year is due to having Hejda as his D mate. Hejda has shown great ability to cover some of Foote's mistakes.

I think Foote, paired with a solid D man would be invaluable for a play-off run. Just his experience alone would be a plus. Everyone knows Federovs reputation in the play-offs, and I would expect him to go all out if he is traded to a contender since the clock is ticking on his career.

I originally predicted that Detroit would make a big push for Feds at the dead-line, but as well as they are playing, they may not want to fix what aint broke.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest View Post
hell yes support the team no matter what.

but the more the capt opens his mouth the more i want to shut it
For me, I believe fully that he wants to win, and wants to succeed here in Columbus. I believe he cares and he gives his best effort. He is a good leader and veteran.

And, I trust the coaches and management. If they feel that his mouth needs shut they'll shut it and he won't be here. (if so-hopefully before the deadline so we get some goods!)

edit: which begs a question :

If we are in the hunt and are a serious contender to get in the playoffs, do you keep Footer for the veteran experience or still trade him to grab those picks and/or prospects @ the deadline?

Last edited by WrightOn: 01-11-2008 at 03:22 PM.
WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Macster

Two great things happened so far in this thread:

More posting from my boys WrightOn and Dougknowsbest. I need you around here fellas.

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
If we are in the playoff hunt Foote should not be traded, defense and veteran experience is premium during a playoff run.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:29 PM
DougKnowsBest

i love foote. I want him on the team.

i just dissagree with his last 3 or 4 quotes in the paper. now, he has the cups and is a paid proffesional. Im an idiot expansion team fan. so he is probbly right.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
pickledcotton

This is why I love Konopka as the captain of the Crunch (and as I've said in another thread, I couldn't stand the guy a year ago... he has really won me over). One night Brassard committed dumb penalty after dumb penalty. Konopka went over to the box, opened the door and *****ed the kid out. Comes out and scores a goal.

He has also called out the entire team, other teams, and sometimes individuals. The guy plays with two broken hands. He takes a puck to the shield that shatters it, has 20 stitches put in and comes out for the third period.

Somebody does to one of his guys what they did to Zherdev the other night? With two broken hands, Konopka's not supposed to fight, but I bet he checks the hell out of the guy (assuming he wasn't jumped by Sestito already).

A captain's a guy that inspires the players on and off the ice. Konopka turned the Crunch's season around last year and as soon as he came back (against doctors' advice) from the most recently broken hand, they went on a win streak. The guys produce for him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Luke Richardson performed on Foote and Peca given the C. I've never liked Foote, though, so that's a totally biased opinion. I do, however, like whomever's avatar it is where there's a little dude hopping around on the logo and it says "Foote's gonna kill me." That's what I use to take my mind off Foote's total ineptitude when I watch Center Ice.

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:57 PM
pickledcotton

Also agree with the folks who stated that Methot is the same type of player as Foote, only younger. The only thing you lack with him is veteran leadership, but he has a solid head on his shoulders and I've always felt he's played with a maturity beyond his years.

pickledcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Renion

Foote's comments mostly just sounded like he was overthinking the situation. Since he stepped up to Tootoo and was burned for it, he has a right to overthink it. The other players don't. Peca's comments sounded closer to the truth: the whole team wasn't thinking properly throughout the game. Team toughness has bugged me as much as it has Portzline, but Foote's comments didn't offend me: the team did...and does.

Foote's the only consistent leader we have on this team. The only other consistent veteran presence we have is Fedorov, and he's never struck me as captain material--especially on a young team like ours. I pimped Chimera in the past, but he's taken a step back from last season in terms of putting himself out there on every shift. (I'd still rank him ahead of most anyone else, though.)

In any case, this team needs a leader who is out there for nearly every game, and Peca has shown he doesn't qualify for that. Foote isn't perfect, but he's the best we have right now.

P.S. That being said, I'd take Vermette for Foote straight up any day of the week

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:10 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
In any case, this team needs a leader who is out there for nearly every game, and Peca has shown he doesn't qualify for that. Foote isn't perfect, but he's the best we have right now.

P.S. That being said, I'd take Vermette for Foote straight up any day of the week
I was reading through and thinking about this. I think that Ren has the best point so far. I just dont see anybody on this team who could step up and wear the C right now. Never Fedorov, he has an A because of his past...he is no leader...never has been. Nash is not ready. When I see him skate past a player receiving a cheap shot and doing nothing, that is not C material to me. Maybe next year.

Im not a huge Foote fan...but right now..we have no other option.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote