HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

What to do with our Captain

Old
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickledcotton View Post
This is why I love Konopka as the captain of the Crunch (and as I've said in another thread, I couldn't stand the guy a year ago... he has really won me over). One night Brassard committed dumb penalty after dumb penalty. Konopka went over to the box, opened the door and *****ed the kid out. Comes out and scores a goal.

He has also called out the entire team, other teams, and sometimes individuals. The guy plays with two broken hands. He takes a puck to the shield that shatters it, has 20 stitches put in and comes out for the third period.

Somebody does to one of his guys what they did to Zherdev the other night? With two broken hands, Konopka's not supposed to fight, but I bet he checks the hell out of the guy (assuming he wasn't jumped by Sestito already).

A captain's a guy that inspires the players on and off the ice. Konopka turned the Crunch's season around last year and as soon as he came back (against doctors' advice) from the most recently broken hand, they went on a win streak. The guys produce for him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Luke Richardson performed on Foote and Peca given the C. I've never liked Foote, though, so that's a totally biased opinion. I do, however, like whomever's avatar it is where there's a little dude hopping around on the logo and it says "Foote's gonna kill me." That's what I use to take my mind off Foote's total ineptitude when I watch Center Ice.
I'd like to see more of Konopka, I like his style, I like Boll's style, I like Novotnys style..... Passion plus desire equal heart, heart wins... These guys have heart.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:25 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Methot for Captain!!!

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Palinka

(If I may)

I personally don't buy into the "intangibles" and "leadership" quotient. Here's why.

The assumption is automatically made that a player possesses "intangibles" if the following conditions are satisfied:
1) The player in question has been a part of a Stanley Cup winning team at any point in his career
2) The player in question doesn't score many points, or if he was once a scorer he no longer is
3) The player in question isn't the best player on the ice at any point, and usually is a second-liner or a third/fourth defenseman (at best)
4) The player in question looks fired-up at times
5) The player in question fights, but very rarely

The best players in the world are who they are because of the "intangibles", but no one ever talks about the intangibles of Crosby, Iginla, Datsyuk, et al. It's strictly an image-based term that has no actual validity, primarily because it assumes that playing for a Stanley Cup winner automatically translates into being mentally stronger than someone who has not, or that scoring is inversely related to mental toughness.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Pluckfur

Hitch's comments after the game tonight make me think that Foote has been/soon will be asked to waive that NT clause. Hitch sounded snide and downright derisive when asked to characterize Foote's performance tonight.

"Hard bizarre."

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Hitch's comments after the game tonight make me think that Foote has been/soon will be asked to waive that NT clause. Hitch sounded snide and downright derisive when asked to characterize Foote's performance tonight.

"Hard bizarre."
I hate to read stuff into what people say, but it didn't exactly sound like a compliment did it?

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Pluckfur

yeah... not so much

and it wasn't just what he said ... but his tone of voice/facial expression/body language. kinda ominous. :shiver:

Old
01-11-2008, 11:15 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:

"Hard bizarre."
I saw that too. I took it to mean hard, but not smart. Our radio guys were praising Foote during the post game for his play during the 4 game road trip. I certainly don't share that opinion.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:13 AM
Casework

Quote:
yeah... not so much

and it wasn't just what he said ... but his tone of voice/facial expression/body language. kinda ominous. :shiver:
With Modin said to be on track to actually be back sometime in the near future(I believe Rimer said Tuesday is a possibility)... Could it be the end?

I wouldn't object.

Sure, we lose experience with Foote. We also have Modin, Peca, and Fedorov in terms of Stanley Cup experience. Guys like Vyborny, Norrena, (again) Modin, with Olympic experience. I think Zherdev has stepped up to be a real force, and if it wasn't for a potential communication barrier, he'd be on target for an A next year.

People talk about Foote's leadership because that's about all he has. If we trade him, and at worst, let the young guys take over(much like Pittsburgh with Recchi), then at least come next year our young guys are that much more experienced and don't have a guy like Foote who basically seems to be billed as a 4 million dollar babysitter.

Let's see it boys... who wants to be a leader? Nash...Zherdev...Klesla...Hejda...Novotny.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casework View Post
With Modin said to be on track to actually be back sometime in the near future(I believe Rimer said Tuesday is a possibility)... Could it be the end?

I wouldn't object.

Sure, we lose experience with Foote. We also have Modin, Peca, and Fedorov in terms of Stanley Cup experience. Guys like Vyborny, Norrena, (again) Modin, with Olympic experience. I think Zherdev has stepped up to be a real force, and if it wasn't for a potential communication barrier, he'd be on target for an A next year.

People talk about Foote's leadership because that's about all he has. If we trade him, and at worst, let the young guys take over(much like Pittsburgh with Recchi), then at least come next year our young guys are that much more experienced and don't have a guy like Foote who basically seems to be billed as a 4 million dollar babysitter.

Let's see it boys... who wants to be a leader? Nash...Zherdev...Klesla...Hejda...Novotny.
I don't have a personal dislike for Foote although, it's hard not to be somewhat annoyed with some of his comments of late. Hey, I get angry and then I get over it. On the right team (Rangers? Ok, any team in the East save Ottawa ) he could be a valuable defensive piece. Physically, he seems about as good as can be expected, he does have Footebrainfarts but on a veteran laden team who just need him to concentrate on being a stay at home guy - I really think it could work out.

I don't know who becomes Captain. I leave that to the boys in the room to decide ... lord knows I don't want the responsibility of deciding. But I think your Modin idea is probably a very smart and reasonable bet at this point.

Old
01-12-2008, 03:24 AM
cbj21

I don't get the Foote bashing at all, it's like I've been watching another team than most here or something.
I see a big need for him and his gritty/all out defensive play when coming playoff time.

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
You can tell he wanted to go down and join the fray after the game.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:57 AM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz View Post
You can tell he wanted to go down and join the fray after the game.
You mean while Methot was doing his job?

Old
01-12-2008, 09:44 AM
CBJFan22

Foote wasn't able to go down there after the game, because he wasn't on the ice at the end. It would have been considered 'leaving the bench' and would have gotten him suspended. That's why only Malhotra (I think) and Methot rushed down to the scrum after celebrating the win.

CBJFan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
PubOFH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan22 View Post
Foote wasn't able to go down there after the game, because he wasn't on the ice at the end. It would have been considered 'leaving the bench' and would have gotten him suspended. That's why only Malhotra (I think) and Methot rushed down to the scrum after celebrating the win.
I wasnt necessarily talking about after the game...more of during that game and the game Z was injured.

Old
01-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

"Hard bizarre."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I hate to read stuff into what people say, but it didn't exactly sound like a compliment did it?
Quote:
yeah... not so much

Thought the same. And, if you recall, Hitch said something about the "hard, bizarre" thing was typical for Foote. Sounded like a way of trying to say something nice without saying everything you were thinking.

Old
01-12-2008, 02:55 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Thought the same. And, if you recall, Hitch said something about the "hard, bizarre" thing was typical for Foote. Sounded like a way of trying to say something nice without saying everything you were thinking.
I didn't take it as a 'slap' against Footer.
I thought Hitch was trying to be funny. Sort of like his "curious" comments of late.

There were some "Curious" and "Bizarre" occurrences and calls out there.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:26 AM
gocbj

A few things in no particular order:

Others do clean up Foote's messes. His brains and experience often cover his lack of speed, but more times than not, Hejda keeps Foote looking good.

Passion and Leadership: who has it in their eyes? Who walks the walk? I sit on the glass for 90% of the games, and you can see who talks to who, who is just bored this night, who cares, etc. Most of all, you can see who the officials respect, and this is a key to me. I played sports through college, and I am a decent juudge of what type of person that people respect as a Captain. Vocal (with content, not just running their mouth) leaders who command respect from the team:

#1 is Manny
#2 is Modin
#3 is Foote
#4 is Nash

The dark horse here, believe it or not is Hainsey. I know it looks like he just wants to not hit anyone and then go listen to Iron Maiden and have a few beers after the game, but he is a guy that I think could be a top D man in the league if you gave him an A - not the C. He would wear it with pride.

I feel the same way about Zherdev. I am not necessarily big on handing out Cs and As to improve performance, but it would mean a lot to Z and Hainsey (although neither would admit it).

I have liked Konopka since his first game (which included a fight, you might recall), but I have not watched him from the glass.

Peca is very, very quiet.

gocbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO

Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
I think that too often Foote is grouped with Fedorov in our minds and because we are pissed with Fedorov and his contract, we become pissed with Foote.

sure...he's put a few in our own net this year ....but the guy is a horse...and a leader to our young defensive core

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:09 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
I think that too often Foote is grouped with Fedorov in our minds and because we are pissed with Fedorov and his contract, we become pissed with Foote.

sure...he's put a few in our own net this year ....but the guy is a horse...and a leader to our young defensive core

I see the sarcasm smilie, Gm, but I'll stress it, anyway: "a few" have deflected into our net off of him, he didn't put them in. It happens, sometimes.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
cpmCBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
(If I may)

I personally don't buy into the "intangibles" and "leadership" quotient. Here's why.

The assumption is automatically made that a player possesses "intangibles" if the following conditions are satisfied:
1) The player in question has been a part of a Stanley Cup winning team at any point in his career
2) The player in question doesn't score many points, or if he was once a scorer he no longer is
3) The player in question isn't the best player on the ice at any point, and usually is a second-liner or a third/fourth defenseman (at best)
4) The player in question looks fired-up at times
5) The player in question fights, but very rarely

The best players in the world are who they are because of the "intangibles", but no one ever talks about the intangibles of Crosby, Iginla, Datsyuk, et al. It's strictly an image-based term that has no actual validity, primarily because it assumes that playing for a Stanley Cup winner automatically translates into being mentally stronger than someone who has not, or that scoring is inversely related to mental toughness.
someone else who thinks that's all bs!! finally! i'm of the opinion that scoring more goals than the other team wins games, not heart, but that's probably just me.

cpmCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Ludicrous Speed

get rid of him any way possible..screw a discount, i want our money back

btw i dont understand how we were supposedly, at least that was the feeling here, going to give him less ice time, primarily playing him on the pk, etc.., yet he leads the team in ice time and is pretty high up there on the list in the whole league

last time i ripped on foote like this someone took it personnally and was saying how everyone disagrees with me, so let me make it clear that i will NEVER change my opinion on foote

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitbasketer743 View Post
get rid of him any way possible..screw a discount, i want our money back

btw i dont understand how we were supposedly, at least that was the feeling here, going to give him less ice time, primarily playing him on the pk, etc.., yet he leads the team in ice time and is pretty high up there on the list in the whole league

last time i ripped on foote like this someone took it personnally and was saying how everyone disagrees with me, so let me make it clear that i will NEVER change my opinion on foote
Always defend your opinion regardless, afterall, this is a message board not a popularity contest. Sometimes though other's opinion or facts can change ones mind, but if even then if you still disagree stick to your guns....nothing wrong with that.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote