HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

As Ranger Fans Do You keep Montoya

View Poll Results: Would Ranger Fans keep montoya?
Yes, he will be starter because he is better than henrik 2 4.17%
No way henrik is the rangersstarter for the next decade 31 64.58%
Yes but as backup(he will probably choose to leave) 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
  #1
isles20*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
As Ranger Fans Do You keep Montoya

Montoya??

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:47 PM
  #2
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,489
vCash: 500
With the way Lundqvist is playing... Maybe Lundqvist is our Beezer and Montoya is our Richter. I really don't know anymore. This team is a disaster right now.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
  #3
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
yes. b/c you can never have too much goaltending. Hank is very susceptible to long streches of below avg play, followed by long stretches of HOF play. Very streaky, and kinda annoying that he does that. Plus, I don't think we will get Montoya's full value until he plays some NHL games.

I would only trade him if it was part of a package to get a bonifide superstar.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
  #4
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,177
vCash: 500
Islander fan starting polls on our board about Montoya. This may officially be the bottom. Good Times.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:50 PM
  #5
NYRMatt
Registered User
 
NYRMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 2,316
vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Montoya??
It's hard to tell with this team right now but I'd consider him trade bait. If not that, then I consider him a solid backup for the Rangers next season. Lundqvist has proven he can get out of slumps like he is now. So let's give the man some time.

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
  #6
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,635
vCash: 500
In a perfect world we keep both until we see what Montoya can do.

I still think Hank is the man, he's just learning.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
  #7
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
What period of time are we talking about here? Six months? Ten years? Montoya will probably be dealt, but not before he has upped his value. Lundqvist is the goalie for the future, he's just too good for anything else. When he enters his 30's, he'll probably be scaring alot of forwards.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:04 PM
  #8
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
No. Dump him. Get something worthwhile, don't need him in the system.


Right after the contract is signed, ship him off for a real winger, or a real defenseman beside Staal.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
  #9
isles20*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
In a perfect world we keep both until we see what Montoya can do.

I still think Hank is the man, he's just learning.
but montoya will demand $ that is not worth a backup

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
  #10
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
but montoya will demand $ that is not worth a backup
how can he if he hasn't played in the NHL yet. We could also bring him to arbitration and completely limit his choices on what he will get b/c he won't be able to sign anywhere else.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:18 PM
  #11
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,817
vCash: 500
Frankly I was never really high on Montoya -- he had a great WJC and seemed to struggle at Michigan afterwards. He's been above-average for Hartford but has shown nothing to indicate he has more potential than what Hank has given us in his first couple of seasons here (his recent struggles nonwithstanding).

You have to be careful about timing a trade though. Prospects who haven't played in the NHL yet are like shiny new cars. The day you drive a new car off the lot is the worst day of that cars life, as it immediately loses around $5,000 in value. The reason is because if you have a change in heart and want to sell your perfectly fine automobile, people are going to assume theres something wrong with it. Vice-versa, if you want to get rid of a lemon, you wait long enough for someone to stop assuming its a dud and then get rid of it. Prospects can be viewed in the same light.

Do we give Montoya an opportunity in the NHL to raise his stock, while at the same time risking a chance he lowers it? Or do we trade him right now at lower than face-value but not run the risk of him dropping it even more?

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
  #12
isles20*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
how can he if he hasn't played in the NHL yet. We could also bring him to arbitration and completely limit his choices on what he will get b/c he won't be able to sign anywhere else.
not now i meant later

isles20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
  #13
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Frankly I was never really high on Montoya -- he had a great WJC and seemed to struggle at Michigan afterwards. He's been above-average for Hartford but has shown nothing to indicate he has more potential than what Hank has given us in his first couple of seasons here (his recent struggles nonwithstanding).

You have to be careful about timing a trade though. Prospects who haven't played in the NHL yet are like shiny new cars. The day you drive a new car off the lot is the worst day of that cars life, as it immediately loses around $5,000 in value. The reason is because if you have a change in heart and want to sell your perfectly fine automobile, people are going to assume theres something wrong with it. Vice-versa, if you want to get rid of a lemon, you wait long enough for someone to stop assuming its a dud and then get rid of it. Prospects can be viewed in the same light.

Do we give Montoya an opportunity in the NHL to raise his stock, while at the same time risking a chance he lowers it? Or do we trade him right now at lower than face-value but not run the risk of him dropping it even more?
Good point, but I don't think any GM will think Montoya has something wrong with him.

Common sense will provide them with the knowledge that the Rangers have a franchise goaltender already, that's just about to/is going to sign long term. We don't need Montoya, that's why he should be shipped, not because he has something wrong with him.

An outside the conference deal after Lundqvist signs long term would be perfect, bring in a legit top six winger or something of that sort. We need 3rd pairing d men, and wingers the most.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:24 PM
  #14
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
but montoya will demand $ that is not worth a backup
Until he proves he can step up and carry an AHL team, he won't be demanding anything. He's not even proving he should be a starting AHL goalie at the moment, nevermind one in the NHL.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
  #15
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
An outside the conference deal after Lundqvist signs long term would be perfect, bring in a legit top six winger or something of that sort. We need 3rd pairing d men, and wingers the most.
No way Montoya brings in a top 6 forward on his own. People need to get past the fact that he was a 1st round pick and start realizing that Montoya is not some crown jewel that other teams are clamoring to get their hands on. There's a glut of goalies in the league already, and no team in need of a #1 is going to trade for an unproven prospect with a worrying track record of injuries and propensity for letting in, on average, one bad goal a game... who almost single-handedly cost his team a playoff round last season.

I'm not saying Montoya will never turn into the 1st rounder he was picked to be, but he's shown little proof of it thus far, and NHL teams that may be looking for a goalie have scouting staffs that already know that. These threads that suggest the Rangers will be able to reap some big return by dealing him sooner than later display an incredible amount of wishful thinking.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:42 PM
  #16
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
No way Montoya brings in a top 6 forward on his own. People need to get past the fact that he was a 1st round pick and start realizing that Montoya is not some crown jewel that other teams are clamoring to get their hands on. There's a glut of goalies in the league already, and no team in need of a #1 is going to trade for an unproven prospect with a worrying track record of injuries and propensity for letting in, on average, one bad goal a game... who almost single-handedly cost his team a playoff round last season.

I'm not saying Montoya will never turn into the 1st rounder he was picked to be, but he's shown little proof of it thus far, and NHL teams that may be looking for a goalie have scouting staffs that already know that. These threads that suggest the Rangers will be able to reap some big return by dealing him sooner than later display an incredible amount of wishful thinking.
A legit top six winger? I don't know why Montoya couldn't bring that back, that's any winger in the top 9. Our wingers are horrendous, the only good ones are the first 3, and they're slumping for the most part. Our other top 4 winger is Avery and he's just...ugh. Doesn't belong there, put it that way.

In terms of point production, of course it depends on the team..but

1st line wingers should put up 70 or more points.
2nd line wingers should put up 50 or more points.
3rd line wingers should put up 40 or more points.

Give or take on any.

Of course this is just a region of predictability, power play time and team set up and the centers in between them will always affect the wingers.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:53 PM
  #17
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella
 
Carlos Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,153
vCash: 67
If he's not traded before this years deadline, and if his numbers continue to be average in Hartford, I see him signing a relatively cheap contract, say 3m over 2 years as long as he's guaranteed about 10-15 starts a season. If he puts good numbers in the NHL, then he'll leave after a couple of seasons as a backup and get a starter job somewhere.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
  #18
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
I have trust in Henrik and will continue to, so no

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
  #19
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,832
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I have trust in Henrik and will continue to, so no
i do too...Brodeur had a horrible start to this season and came around and now the devils are in first place. Every goalie has a period where they lose confidence....the fact that this is around the contract dealings and his dad's health may be adding to it a little bit. I know it seems crazy right now but everyone just has to be patient with him until he finds his groove again. He can do it, i know he can. Henrik is our goalie and we are sticking with him.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:32 PM
  #20
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15
 
BlueShirts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Im not directing this at anyone in particular, but I cant believe my eyes when I read people want to give up on Hank because he has had a few bad weeks of play. (not necessarily here but my friend was mentioning to me) I mean honestly the guy has proven himself over the past 2+ years and every player is going to go through a slump at some point, not to mention his father's situation is clearly taking a toll on his play.

As for Montoya, I say keep him as a backup for a year or two to showcase his skill and perhaps trade him in the next season. Lundqvist is clearly the man of the future and will probably sign that contract shortly

__________________
"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"~H. Rose
BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
  #21
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,054
vCash: 500
Fingers crossed for Wiikman!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 10:56 PM
  #22
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta/Abingdon
Country: United States
Posts: 9,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Fingers crossed for Wiikman!
Lol after watching him get slaughtered after having a 2 goal lead against the Isles pre-season.

Montoya... hes as interesting as huge speciman for the simple fact of what to do with him. Should he be brought up even though hes not warranting NHL time? IMO hes not gonna go anywhere professionally. His AHL numbers are mediocre at best I say trade him now while his value is horribly inflated and hope to bring back a foward who could become that scoring forward. I watched him get devoured in the AHL allstar game a year or two back. Planet USA vs whoever it was and Montoya gave up 4 or 5 goals to the opposition.... in one period? If hes getting destroyed by AHL regulars and all stars, and were considering trying him out as back up right now... this team is in more **** then I thought.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:39 AM
  #23
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party
 
DonCherrysSuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
I say let Montoya develop a bit more and let Henrik settle in and get his game together. When/If everything works out with Henke and we've got ourselves a starter for the next decade, Montoya will make for a valuable trade.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
  #24
Chimp
Registered User
 
Chimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: In my food garden.
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hplaya94 View Post
...His AHL numbers are mediocre at best I say trade him now while his value is horribly inflated and hope to bring back a foward who could become that scoring forward...
His value is only horribly inflated among Rangers fans, his real trade value is alot lower. Anaheim couldn't even get a draft pick for Bryzgalov, who has alot higher value than Montoya.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
  #25
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,087
vCash: 500
If we traded Montoya there's a damn good chance that Sather would use his first round draft choice on another goalie.

I'd rather keep Montoya and draft the best possible player who is NOT a goalie.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.