HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

It Is Time For Jessiman!

Old
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
ice_man

vCash: 500
It Is Time For Jessiman!

Big Hugh has been scoring almost 1 point per game over the last month and a half, while being physical and even getting into a few fights. As I see it, the Rangers' physical players do not have the skill that Hugh has. I know that people have been down on him in the past, but he has improved to the point where he is definitely NHL ready. He has learned to use his huge body to control the puck along the boards and behind the net, and he has the skill to either set up a teammate or get a good shot off himself.

He can certainly be more productive than some of the Rangers' third and fourth line players. It is also not a stretch to think that he could actually fill a power forward role on one of the top two lines.

ice_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice_man View Post
Big Hugh has been scoring almost 1 point per game over the last month and a half, while being physical and even getting into a few fights. As I see it, the Rangers' physical players do not have the skill that Hugh has. I know that people have been down on him in the past, but he has improved to the point where he is definitely NHL ready. He has learned to use his huge body to control the puck along the boards and behind the net, and he has the skill to either set up a teammate or get a good shot off himself.

He can certainly be more productive than some of the Rangers' third and fourth line players. It is also not a stretch to think that he could actually fill a power forward role on one of the top two lines.

No he won't. Hes garbage, Have you ever seen him skate? Probably as bad as Malik.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
ice_man

I have seen just about every game in Hartford for the last six years. I am guessing you have not or else you would know better. Hugh's skating is not an issue, especially considering his size.

Old
01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
BenIgnorant

Damn It!

Huge Speciman has been a constant source of entertainment for me, as a Devils fan. I demand that Speciman be sent down to the ECHL for immediate regression.

BenIgnorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
No he won't. Hes garbage, Have you ever seen him skate? Probably as bad as Malik.
at this point it cant hurt

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

a) His AHL skill level, and thats being kind, will not translate well to whats happening in the big league or he wouldve been the first callup this season.

b) Not a fan of awarding a player with a callup because he was a high draft pick, you should earn that callup. It also sets a bad example for the rest of the players down on the farm.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Larry Melnyk

Without watching him, people like to bang on Jessiman becasue it's such a cool thing to do and he and the Rangers are such an easy target for the pick..But forget about the 1st pick, it's bridge underwater...With Jessiman, it's all about whether he can make it to the NHL as a 3rd or 4th liner someday...And anybody categorically denying that is going by dated info and just being stubborn..Jessiman still has big time consistency problems, but he does have the skill, speed and size to play in the NHL..SOme nights he is about the best Pack forward out there, other nights not so good..He still has a chance and time to make it, but not alot of either..And the time isn't now...But, as someone said, he really couldn't more impotent then Prucha, Cally and Hossa have been

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
ice_man

I disagree. If anything his skill level translates better at the NHL level than the AHL level. He is big enough and strong enough to battle with the bigger NHL players, instead of the smaller "waterbug" type players that the AHL is filled with. You can call up Greg Moore or some of the smaller forwards on Hartford, but realistically those guys are not going to replace anybody on New York's top two lines permanently. At the same time, those guys are not going to be able to grind physically with the other team's third and fourth line players.

As for handing Hugh a spot just because he was a high pick, keep in mind that he had been sent to the ECHL the last two years and he battled through it. Also, his ice time had been very limited in Hartford, and he now has earned top minutes. He has not been handed anything because of his draft status. In fact, I believe that his draft status has hurt him because the expectations were so high. If Hugh were a fifth round pick, we all would think that he was great and we would be singing his praises.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Without watching him, people like to bang on Jessiman becasue it's such a cool thing to do and he and the Rangers are such an easy target for the pick..But forget about the 1st pick, it's bridge underwater...With Jessiman, it's all about whether he can make it to the NHL as a 3rd or 4th liner someday...And anybody categorically denying that is going by dated info and just being stubborn..Jessiman still has big time consistency problems, but he does have the skill, speed and size to play in the NHL..SOme nights he is about the best Pack forward out there, other nights not so good..He still has a chance and time to make it, but not alot of either..And the time isn't now...But, as someone said, he really couldn't more impotent then Prucha, Cally and Hossa have been
Well put, probably the most accurate (IMO) description of Jessiman's situation I have read on this board.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
The Thomas J.*

I don't care how well Jessiman has played the past month & a half in the AHL, if he was called up now he would be eaten alive.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
I disagree. If anything his skill level translates better at the NHL level than the AHL level. He is big enough and strong enough to battle with the bigger NHL players, instead of the smaller "waterbug" type players that the AHL is filled with. You can call up Greg Moore or some of the smaller forwards on Hartford, but realistically those guys are not going to replace anybody on New York's top two lines permanently. At the same time, those guys are not going to be able to grind physically with the other team's third and fourth line players.

As for handing Hugh a spot just because he was a high pick, keep in mind that he had been sent to the ECHL the last two years and he battled through it. Also, his ice time had been very limited in Hartford, and he now has earned top minutes. He has not been handed anything because of his draft status. In fact, I believe that his draft status has hurt him because the expectations were so high. If Hugh were a fifth round pick, we all would think that he was great and we would be singing his praises.
I agree 100%. I watched Hugh closely, live, at all his pre-season games and while he doesn't exactly fly on his skates, he can def skate better then Colton Orr and many others in the NHL. Big guys tend to take more time developing and Hugh definitely enjoyed his time at Dartmouth. I think he has taken his career much more seriously in the past 2 years and has developed to the point that he is a legit prospect again. I think that this year might be too early but that he very well might compete for a spot in next years camp.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:24 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Without watching him, people like to bang on Jessiman becasue it's such a cool thing to do
Is it still cool? I think the "cool factor" ended a couple years back when folks were still predicting what Jessiman was going to be. There's little doubt now about Jessiman's potential. I think I'd laugh at anyone trashing the pick because he thought it was cool to do so. Fact of the matter is that the pick deserves trashing because it was a bad pick, and there's no cache in saying so anymore. You're just spouting common knowlege at this point.

Quote:
and he and the Rangers are such an easy target for the pick.
Well that's true. I'd also say the team's target is well deserved.

Quote:
But forget about the 1st pick, it's bridge underwater.
Oh I don't know. Folks still blame Smith's drafting failures for the current state of the team. Surely if Smith's poor drafts are not water under the bridge, Sather's are not. Poor pick made by both GMs are plaguing the team as we speak; that's not water under the bridge, IMO.

Quote:
With Jessiman, it's all about whether he can make it to the NHL as a 3rd or 4th liner someday...And anybody categorically denying that is going by dated info and just being stubborn..Jessiman still has big time consistency problems, but he does have the skill, speed and size to play in the NHL..SOme nights he is about the best Pack forward out there, other nights not so good..He still has a chance and time to make it, but not alot of either..And the time isn't now...But, as someone said, he really couldn't more impotent then Prucha, Cally and Hossa have been
Agreed. Anybody brought up now is being done so with the idea that he can in some way change the team's fortunes - at least in the public eye. This is the worst time to bring up a kid. If you want to audition a kid, make it when the team is playing well or when the games no longer matter.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Synergy27

Not that I am buying into the ideas presented in this thread, but how awesome would it be if something just clicked with Hugh and the kid turned the corner and became the next Bertuzzi? I hate(d) the pick as much as (more than?) the next guy, but man would that be awesome.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:31 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post
Not that I am buying into the ideas presented in this thread, but how awesome would it be if something just clicked with Hugh and the kid turned the corner and became the next Bertuzzi? I hate(d) the pick as much as (more than?) the next guy, but man would that be awesome.
he has a better chance than being peter worrell or some big goon.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Is it still cool? I think that ended a couple years back.

Well that's true. I'd also say the team's target is well deserved.

Oh I don't know. Folks still blame Smith's drafting failures for the current state of the team. Surely if Smith's poor drafts are not water under the bridge, Sather's are not. Poor pick made by both GMs are plaguing the team as we speak; that's not water under the bridge, IMO.

Agreed. Anybody brought up now is being done so with the idea that he can in some way change the team's fortunes - at least in the public eye. This is the worst time to bring up a kid. If you want to audition a kid, make it when the team is playing well or when the games no longer matter.
Good stuff D.

Iceman, you either don't know or don't care, but you simply can't have a big guy come up and think 'just cause he has the size he can compete with NHLers'. This is not the time of the Tim Kerr's of the world who just sit in front of the net and chip in rebounds. The big guys also have to play a full shift, meaning reading plays, getting in passing/shooting lanes, and having the overall consistent effort. Not to mention he'll need confidence in his game, something I still don't think he has.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post

Hell, Folks around here blame everybody and everything. That's what this place is about. But you are kinda right. I'm not saying that Hugh wasn't a bad pick (it was) or that we didn't miss out on picking a player(s) that would make us alot better today (we did)...Just that it's old news and there is nothing we can do about and that when you talk about Jessiman possibly making the Rangers now you just have to forget the draft blunder and hope he can make the team as a 3rd or 4th liner---which he does have a shot at...

And, I did say "Bridge under water" not "water under the bridge".....Huge difference (The damage is done)..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:43 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Good stuff D.

Iceman, you either don't know or don't care, but you simply can't have a big guy come up and think 'just cause he has the size he can compete with NHLers'. This is not the time of the Tim Kerr's of the world who just sit in front of the net and chip in rebounds. The big guys also have to play a full shift, meaning reading plays, getting in passing/shooting lanes, and having the overall consistent effort. Not to mention he'll need confidence in his game, something I still don't think he has.
To be fair, Iceman says that he's watched every Pack game for the last 6 years and he's basing his comment on Hugh's development over the last month or so. Personally, I have no idea whether or not he's ready, but what I WILL say is that in the one game I watched online a couple of weeks back Hugh was the best player on the ice.

Someone earlier said that now was not the time to bring up a kid, especially one with past confidence issues, and I agree with that, but I don't think we can dismiss Iceman's comments completely out of hand as irrational Hugh apologist rhetoric. His whole point is that Hugh is finally beginning to take the next developmental steps you're describing, Bluenote.

Here's to his continued progress. I'd love for some kids with size to start coming out of Hartford (regardless of what line they play).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
To be fair, Iceman says that he's watched every Pack game for the last 6 years and he's basing his comment on Hugh's development over the last month or so. Personally, I have no idea whether or not he's ready, but what I WILL say is that in the one game I watched online a couple of weeks back Hugh was the best player on the ice.

Someone earlier said that now was not the time to bring up a kid, especially one with past confidence issues, and I agree with that, but I don't think we can dismiss Iceman's comments completely out of hand as irrational Hugh apologist rhetoric. His whole point is that Hugh is finally beginning to take the next developmental steps you're describing, Bluenote.

Here's to his continued progress. I'd love for some kids with size to start coming out of Hartford (regardless of what line they play).
Maybe i'm the wrong guy to ask, I feel a player should prove that he can do this for more than a month, maybe half a season in the AHL.

Like Dedalus said, it'd be different if we were a winning team that can afford to bring him up into an environment where he's set up alot better than where the current state of affairs has us.

Old
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Give him a shot
See what hes got
How could this possibly hurt right now?
It cannot

How about?

Dawes - Drury - Shanny
Prucha - Gomez - Jagr
Hossa - Dubi - The Specimen
HBO

Avery & Straka are out on IR
Moore the odd man out

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:02 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Maybe i'm the wrong guy to ask, I feel a player should prove that he can do this for more than a month, maybe half a season in the AHL.

Like Dedalus said, it'd be different if we were a winning team that can afford to bring him up into an environment where he's set up alot better than where the current state of affairs has us.
Here we agree completely - I didn't say he should come up right now.

I just felt that you were poo-poo-ing his comments regarding Jessiman in general. Given that he's gone from the ECHL last year to arguably the best forward on the team over the last six weeks, I think Iceman's comments are worthy of discussion. But he shouldn't come up a) until he's done it for another couple of months and b) in such a negative environment as the one the team is currently experiencing.

Old
01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Here we agree completely - I didn't say he should come up right now.

I just felt that you were poo-poo-ing his comments regarding Jessiman in general. Given that he's gone from the ECHL last year to arguably the best forward on the team over the last six weeks, I think Iceman's comments are worthy of discussion. But he shouldn't come up a) until he's done it for another couple of months and b) in such a negative environment as the one the team is currently experiencing.
You're right, its worthy of discussion, but only to a certain point. I appreciate that he's 'at times' been the best player on the ice down in the "A", but I'd rather he show consitently that he has what it takes, and that includes his confidence in his own ability.

Old
01-11-2008, 06:53 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Partially prompted by this thread, I ordered the Pack feed tonight and so far Jessiman looks great. Beat some poor Norfolk player's @ss in a first period fight and has dictated play while on the ice.

Pack leading the Admirals 3-1 in the first. Pack goals by Byers (off his butt), Potter and Hutchinson.

Old
01-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

So just as he's getting confidence, we should give him a job he's not ready for and kill his confidence to ever crack it into the NHL?

Quote:

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I think I'll lean towards the opinions of the poster who has been watching him progress all season versus someone who may have seen a shift of him during preseason. That said, I'd keep him down there and just let him get better and better. Let him win his spot next preseason.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Nyrfan44

The time for Hugh has never even arrived and will never..

Nyrfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote