HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

prab rai

Old
01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
richardtherocket09

vCash: 500
prab rai

Can someone tell me what is going on with the 2008 nhl draft rankings? the t-birds picked up prab last year in a one sided deal from the pg cougars and was an impact player as soon as he got in the lineup. He is hands down the fastest play not only in the whl but one of the fastest players i have ever seen in the western league. He is leadin the t-birds with 22A and has 2G with 24pts matching his last year numbers in half the year this year. As a t-birds fan I can see that he needs to step up in the goal deparment but the 2008 rankings for january came out and they ranked 210 player and this kids name is not there. Players with 4pts, player in midget AAA and ect. are ranked on this list. If there is anyone out there with a hockey background that can help me understand how players are ranked an how he is not would be a great help.

GO t-birds GO

richardtherocket09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Stripes

Points don't mean everything. I haven't seen him since he was in Prince George, but when he was in PG, he was a 4th line player at best, and a lot of fans wondered how he even made the team.

Scouts obviously didn't see enough in his play to rank him.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:06 PM
richardtherocket09

i can see what you mean but he is a total diffrent player than what he was in pg. pg was just a bad situation for him look at what he has done before and after pg, he is a fan fav. the coach's can't rave enough about this kid and he is not a 4th liner at best as he played on the top line this year and last year. PG is just a messed up place to play look at dan gendur he played on the fourth line with rai when he was there and than he left the team just like rai and went to the top ranked team last year and played on the number one line and was drafted by the van canucks. so im sorry but what you just stated has no fact behind it. and plus i've heard from a good source that the way managment reated this kid in pg was dispicable. thast why so many player refuse to play for or leave pg.

Old
01-11-2008, 08:08 PM
richardtherocket09

and another interesting fact if he was only a fourth liner at best, how did he lead the team in pp goals when he left the team. A team with tones of nhl drafties.

Old
01-11-2008, 08:20 PM
richardtherocket09

Iíve been reading a lot of false accusations about Rai on the internet saying that it was a mistake for him asking for a trade from PG and that he dropped out of school and that he was a 7th round draft pick in the whl so he shouldn't be complaining for ice time. Well im here to set it straight i can say from a great source that Rai would have been a 1st round pick in the whl draft as he led all sask. Bantam hockey in points with 96pts in 45 games in his time spent at Notre Dame. The only reason he went in the 7th round was because a rumour was spread about the top three Notre dame players committing to the NCAA as the spent a week @ the university of North Dakota. PG saw that he was not picked yet and took a chance on him and struck gold, as he always wanted to play in the whl. But thatís where it ends for PG as they treated him with no respect and lied to his face over and over, that it got so bad even his billets needed to step in and say that this situation was not a good one for him. The rumour of him dropping out of high school is false he graduated last year from north surrey sec. on time with his peers, where that accusation came from I have no clue. He did not attend many classes in PG because he chose to take on his classes with full responsibility and did the majority of his classes through distance education, letting him finish his classes on a much faster time period than going to class everyday. Overall I have had a chance to watch this kid from the days he played i surrey and since then people around the rink have been saying this kid is going to be something special and he will be. Being traded to Seattle was the best thing for him as it was obvious when he put up double the points in the first month with the t-birds than a year and half with the PG cougars. He also represented team pacific in the under 17 world challenge and if it wasn't for bad luck and breaking his thumb he would have but up great numbers, but was restricted to only playing the power play because of his injury. This kids got nhl speed, hands down the fasted player i have ever seen, with such a smooth stride, great set up man, very coachable and has put on great size sitting at 6'1 and 190lbs. He has had a raw deal and many people say that he might come off as a jerk but he is not a flamboyant character, but a quiet and respectful individual who has always loved to come to the rink (as I have seen going to t-birds games and from what people that work for the t-birds say) and will be a great pick up in the 2008 nhl draft.

Old
01-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtherocket09 View Post
i can see what you mean but he is a total diffrent player than what he was in pg. pg was just a bad situation for him look at what he has done before and after pg, he is a fan fav. the coach's can't rave enough about this kid and he is not a 4th liner at best as he played on the top line this year and last year. PG is just a messed up place to play look at dan gendur he played on the fourth line with rai when he was there and than he left the team just like rai and went to the top ranked team last year and played on the number one line and was drafted by the van canucks. so im sorry but what you just stated has no fact behind it. and plus i've heard from a good source that the way managment reated this kid in pg was dispicable. thast why so many player refuse to play for or leave pg.
Prab Rai was on a veteran Cougars team when he broke into the league. He was never going to get more than 4th line ice time in PG as a young player in the league. If that's being treated despicably (ice time was his only complaint), then perhaps the Cougars ended up better off without him. Dana Tyrell and Chris Vanduynhoven were the other 16 year-olds on that team, they didn't get any more ice time than Rai, and Rai was the only one complaining. When his play didn't earn the ice time as a 17 year-old on an even more veteran Cougars team, he walked out until he got traded. Walking out on a team, regardless of why, scares scouts away, like it or not.

There were a few players on that Cougars team with bad attitudes and they probably influenced Rai into thinking PG is a bad place to play. (The Cougars only got rid of the last of those poor attitudes this week.) If Rai has corrected his attitude since then, good for him.

You can say what you want about PG's management. Players in PG are not treated any worse than anywhere else in the league. Watching some of the characters who have come through PG in recent years, it seems that a lot of them expect to be coddled and pampered. Guess what, this is hockey, this is the highest level under professional hockey, you have to earn your right to play. The only thing I can fault PG's management for in recent years, is not drafting Colton Gillies and not letting him sit at home if he didn't want to play for the Cougars.

If you want to talk about numbers, 3 goals in 38 games for Rai is far from impressive. Yes, he has 22 assists to make it 25 points, but at the junior level, the top-ranked draft-eligible players produce more than that. I am being totally honest when I say that when I hear people talking about impressive players around the league, until I read this thread, I had yet to hear Prab Rai's name come up.

Old
01-12-2008, 03:42 AM
richardtherocket09

If you would take the time to read what I have wrote, you would see I never said he should be a top ranked player in this draft I just thought it was questionable he was not ranked at all. And I know for a fact he never asked for a trade because of ice time (what is written in the media is only what they want you to hear) from many of his teammates at that time that have moved on said it was way more than just ice time, that is just what was put in the newspaper. And for him leaving the team, he never left because he wanted to, its well known around the whl that Rai was unhappy about something much greater and it finally came to a boiling point and he asked for a trade and was told "NO". So he had no choice, either sit and waist the rest of the year or do something about it, so he did something about it and as us fans in seattle have wittnessed. It payed off for him. I also highly dout him leaving the team hurt him in other teams eyes because i know when we got him people said we were lucky PG refused to trade him to a team in the BC davision because vancouver and kamaloops were offering much more than we were able to. It is well know that this kid got a raw deal up there and i have never said that he should be a top ranked player in the draft and said his goals do need work but hes one of the only players i have seen that can play forward on the pp and pk and than turn around and play the point in a pp and pk sittuation this kid could probaly play net if they gave him a chance. Hands down one of the most versitile players I have ever seen and should be taken in the 2008 entry draft no questioned asked. espesially if a guy like matt sokol that was -40 in portland last year and has done nothing up in PG can be ranked, you can't tell me that kid should be ranked over Rai. On another note i am done talking about what he was like in PG he is a fan fav. down here and i just want to know how they go about ranking players and I would like that question answered by someone that has a background or has something to do with hockey not just some guys opinion.

-Go t-birds GO-
making our way up the US division standings

Old
01-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Stripes

I'm missing something here. If you know so much about what Prab Rai's experience in Prince George was, why don't you tell us about it? How do you, a Thunderbirds fan, know so much about what goes on in Prince George? If you knew anything about PG media, you would know that there is a lot printed that I'm sure the team would rather its fans not read.

I'm not saying Rai isn't a good player. You have to be to make the WHL in nine of ten cases. That said, if Prab Rai is one of the "most versatile players you've ever seen", I suggest you watch some more hockey than Prab Rai's shifts.

How do you think players are ranked? Scouts hired by NHL Central Scouting watch a ton of games, they evaluate players based on skills, character, attitude and fitness. They rank accordingly. If you know so much about Prab Rai off the ice, perhaps you could tell us if he has had any interviews with NHL scouts this season. That should give you an indication of how scouts feel about him.

Old
01-12-2008, 04:16 AM
richardtherocket09

I know so much because i have followed the whl for the past 20 years from my time i lived in norther bc to my time in kamaloops, vancouver and now kent washington. im just stating what i have heard and that is what baffels me, we see our fair share of scouts and they seen to be intrested in this rai kid that why i was so surprised. comparing what i saw last year with the amount of scout traffic coming to see hickey there is for sure a decrease this year and mabey that is what it is this year we dont have a highly ranked player so scouts are over looking are two eligable guys but last year when we had hickey ranked other players on the team (like our two chez. players) were ranked. I gusse sometimes the year you are eligable and the players around you can influance your rankings. But i will stand strong with my statment, there was much more going on with why rai left the team than just ice time and a player like brett robertson who played in med hat and than pg could say in all his years in the western league he has never seen a player have such a raw deal.

I understand how you are saying they "evaluate players based on skills, character, attitude and fitness" but do they wiegh each of those characteristics diffrently because you did say points don't mean everything.

Old
01-12-2008, 04:18 AM
richardtherocket09

and by the way i never said anything about rai's experince in PG you braught that up youself. Im just putting it out there because i was woundering what was going on. i never asked about his pg experince, and i can't see why you have such a hatred towrads this kid. im not trying to get personal I was just wondering how this kid isn't ranked around the 100 mark, we all know hes not going in the top 10. Just do this when the t-birds roll into PG go watch the games and if you still think this kid should not go in the top 4 rounds after watching him play i will respect your opinion.

Last edited by richardtherocket09: 01-12-2008 at 05:38 AM.
Old
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Is Prab Rai a good skater? Yes. Is he talented? Yes. Is he a player who should be drafted into the NHL? No.

To be a draftee in the NHL, as was said before, you have to produce at a high level. Assists are very important in hockey, but unless you show scouts that you can score goals, there's no reason for them not to think otherwise. Again, as was said before, 22 assists is impressive, but add those three goals and Prab Rai would be a third line player on alot of teams in the WHL.

To be listed on the draft rankings you have to -to an extent- be one of the best players in your entire age group, and Prab Rai is not one of the best players in the '08 draft eligible age group - and he has a full year of development on most of the players.

It's that simple.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM
richardtherocket09

ok i get that, now tell me how a player like matt ius from the silver tips is ranked with 4 pts and a minus player. Rai was a player who played on the uner 17 team pacific and represented canada at the under 18 level were they won a gold medal. You have to be one of the top player in your age group to make those teams. but i totaly understand what you mean with the goals he needs to step it up in there, but for this matt ius kid from the silver tips being rank baffels me. He's not even a tough guy he just does not have the stats. could you please help me understand that.
thank you

Last edited by richardtherocket09: 01-14-2008 at 02:11 AM.
Old
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
ok i get that, now tell me how a player like matt ius from the silver tips is ranked with 4 pts and a minus player. Rai was a player who played on the uner 17 team pacific and represented canada at the under 18 level were they won a gold medal. You have to be one of the top player in your age group to make those teams. but i totaly understand what you mean with the goals he needs to step it up in there, but for this matt ius kid from the silver tips being rank baffels me. He's not even a tough guy he just does not have the stats. could you please help me understand that.
thank you
Points aren't the only thing that will get you ranked. How is Rai's two-way game? What about his physical game? Just because he's on a strong defensive team doesn't mean he's a strong defensive player. I don't care to watch him enough to know; all I know is that from what I've seen, Rai is maybe a third line player on a good team in this league - or a top 6 forward on a team like Seattle, one which doesn't have that many weapons up front.

Also, just because a player is ranked doesn't mean he will get picked. Matt McCue was ranked 77th a couple of years ago and went undrafted from Spokane. And just because a player isn't ranked doesn't mean they wont get picked. Guys get picked all the time who aren't ranked in midseason rankings.

Old
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Matt Ius, BTW steps in at 6'2" 207...that may also have something to do with his name being on the list.

Rai simply doesn't stand out enough to be noticed at this point...only he can change that. The guys you see on these lists all stand out in some way when their team comes to town.

Old
01-16-2008, 12:48 AM
richardtherocket09

You make a good point my fellow us division whl hockey fan. but thats what i dont understand rai is a great two way player, hes more of a two way player than a goal scorer. i would not define him as offensive power. he plays on the pp as a forward, and dman and than will play the pk as a dman and a forward. The one stat that really stood out for me and y i began to wonder was when he was put on to a line with jim O and jan eberle he took both those guys from -11 and -12 players and brought them back to even and the other thing is i see jimmy O who is a first round pick player night in and night out with rai and rai is twice the player that kid is in every aspect. Those are the two reasons i began to think why this kid is not ranked. I know anything can happen on the day of the draft, like hickey going 4th overall when everyone was expecting 8th but i never said that heís going to play in the nhl i was just wondering how he was not ranked compared to many other players.

And in the end i think it was good he was not ranked because he has taken his game to the next level since the rankings have come out, so hopefully you keeps it up.

but thank for your response.

Old
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

To maybe clear up the Ius thing again...

Played here last night, and I was actually quite impressed. While he may not be a scorer, he was a workhorse for the 'Tips; and played quite well on their PK.

Actually reminds me of a guy the Canadiens took in the second round a couple of years ago named Maxim Lapierre.

Old
02-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Avs Fan

Prab is a good player and definitely contributes. Right now he is on one of the hottest lines for the Birds. However, I have to disagree on him being NHL quality. One, he does not have the size, two his defense lacks a little, and finally, his one-one skills are awful. The up side for him is he's fast, he moves the puck well to he linemates, and make plays happen. He's still young and from when we picked him up last year to this year, he's improved dramatically. He'll grow with our young team, but he does need to bulk up, get a little physical, and work on his defense. I watch him play every game, and he's definitely getting more physical, but still not enough for the NHL game!

Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Trot

vCash: 422
I hate to agree with an Av's fan but he's right. Prab Rai is a bit of a one trick pony, that trick just happens to be his impressive wheels and at this level it can make you look better than you are. He still gets knocked off the puck easily. I'm not certain he's even that good of passer. Before you flame me for that and point to his assist totals let me explain. Rai makes a decent pass when he's open and his teammate is open, which his speed allows him to create by stepping around defenseman. However, he's not a guy, at least that I've seen, that can make a consistent pass through traffic. At a level where the defenseman are better, or even when matched against the better defensemen in the dub, he'll struggle to create the open ice to make those passes. As for his defense, I don't think it's terrible but then again I don't think it's great, I think his speed gets him back in position.

I know it's just one game and it's not fair to judge him by that performance. But the 2/17 game vs Tri-City he was running on fumes (as were many T-Birds) and it was obvious that taking away his speed he wasn't much of a threat at all.

Among recent T-Birds I'd probably compare him closest to David Morriset. Yeah, I know Morriset went late in the 2nd round of the NHL draft, but Morriset had better hands, strength, and a nose for the net. Had Morriset even had decent hands with his speed he could have been a 50 goal scorer in the dub. Yet he couldn't translate that into professional success. Rai is on par speed wise but he trails Morriset in the other categories which is why I don't think you see him rated by any services.

Trot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2008, 04:48 PM
richardtherocket09

People can say what they want about this kid, but the thing is heís got the speed and the basic skill to be a NHL player all the other things will come in time and can be taught. If he gets bumped off the puck to easy that can be fixed and worked on. The reason I say this is because he has great speed and that has allowed him to make plays at high speeds for most of his career, having to make a prospect faster requires a team to not only work on his speed but the speed he thinks the game and rai can play the game at a high speed and think the game at a high speed. He still needs to work on his board play (even though hes a fast break player), needs to work on his shot and a lot more. But these skills can be taught and worked on. O'Brien, Rai and Richard have come together and formed one of the hottest lines in the WHL since x-mas break and has been great to watch. Some people can say that hes a one trick pony and that trick is his speed, but speed kills and the new nhl is all about speed. I believe he will go in the sec. or third round and will be a great sec. line player in the NHL some day.

Old
02-23-2008, 10:44 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
I believe he will go in the sec. or third round and will be a great sec. line player in the NHL some day.
You're dreaming, or maybe you're a friend or family of this guy! He's not big, he's not physical, he's not a goal scorer and he's not a team leader. There's a ton of players out there like him, decent in the dub but not likely to make the step to the NHL. Look how long it's taken Fehr and Stone to play a few games in the NHL, and they were far, far better dub players than Prab Rai. If he gets drafted at all, it'll be in the lower rounds, still a nice accomplishment for any player I might add. I don't think you're going to see this guy ever play in the NHL though.....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 11:53 AM
harmanthind

hahah ***** he just got drafted

harmanthind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 01:46 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
If he gets drafted at all, it'll be in the lower rounds, still a nice accomplishment for any player I might add. I don't think you're going to see this guy ever play in the NHL though.....
Well, the first part of my prediction was correct (5th round, 131st), let's wait a few years and see if the second part is also correct

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
fogducker

how fast is he? Mason Raymond fast?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
how fast is he? Mason Raymond fast?
Not really even close. I wouldn't write him in the top 10 even in the WHL as far as speed; he's one of those "next step down" fast guys. You have your Reddicks and Boychuks on one level, and then you have that next level down, which is where I would put Rai.