HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: 01/12 Montreal Canadiens @ New York Rangers 7PM MSG, CBC

Old
01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
VisionQuest*

vCash: 500
re: henke fighting the puck.

His style, active and deep in his crease, is going to look at least a bit on the surface as though he is fighting the puck a bit. He is never going to be the smooth, cool, calm collected style of, well, Huet is a good example. Henrik is an active goaltender and will always move more than others.

That said, while this looked like a good building block game for him (which is what I would bet Allaire will tell him) he still does need to keep working hard to get back on track. He's a world class goaltender, I'd push all-in on Henke getting on a real solid roll from here on out, especially after the all-star break.

This was a good, thorough game with solid efforts from everyone. Pretty much the sort of hockey you need to be playing in the two most difficult months to accumulate points, jan/feb. I just hope in the case of Moore and Dawes this wasnt a game purely fueled on the adrenaline of being back up with the Rangers and they start coasting any time soon.

Orr has to be considered one of the more improved Rangers. He's gone from a guy that had one role; fighting. to a guy that can hit some, put some pressure on the forecheck, and take a regular shift. It's nice to see a guy take the entire game of hockey seriously and not just be a goon bum ala McGratton.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
re: henke fighting the puck.

His style, active and deep in his crease, is going to look at least a bit on the surface as though he is fighting the puck a bit. He is never going to be the smooth, cool, calm collected style of, well, Huet is a good example. Henrik is an active goaltender and will always move more than others.

That said, while this looked like a good building block game for him (which is what I would bet Allaire will tell him) he still does need to keep working hard to get back on track. He's a world class goaltender, I'd push all-in on Henke getting on a real solid roll from here on out, especially after the all-star break.

This was a good, thorough game with solid efforts from everyone. Pretty much the sort of hockey you need to be playing in the two most difficult months to accumulate points, jan/feb. I just hope in the case of Moore and Dawes this wasnt a game purely fueled on the adrenaline of being back up with the Rangers and they start coasting any time soon.

Orr has to be considered one of the more improved Rangers. He's gone from a guy that had one role; fighting. to a guy that can hit some, put some pressure on the forecheck, and take a regular shift. It's nice to see a guy take the entire game of hockey seriously and not just be a goon bum ala McGratton.
Lundqvist have clearly struggled for some time now. No doubt. Looking at isolated goals its hard to say that he have been bad or something, but over the course of 5 games you can clearly tell that when he isn't on top of his game, some pucks goes in that usually don't go in.

Anyway, I've seen this several times before from Lundy. Late his first season. Early his 2nd season. In his 2nd WCH's. And at some times in the SEL.

However; this time around, he defenitly feels more composed, and much less frustrated then he have in the past in simular situations. Thats nice to see.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:35 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Lundqvist have clearly struggled for some time now. No doubt. Looking at isolated goals its hard to say that he have been bad or something, but over the course of 5 games you can clearly tell that when he isn't on top of his game, some pucks goes in that usually don't go in.

Anyway, I've seen this several times before from Lundy. Late his first season. Early his 2nd season. In his 2nd WCH's. And at some times in the SEL.

However; this time around, he defenitly feels more composed, and much less frustrated then he have in the past in simular situations. Thats nice to see.

That's a positive we can take from all this. We've seen less visible frustration, less mitts in the air, less head slumping, and an excellent bounce back game against a very good offensive team - these are solid signs of maturation from henrik. it's important to keep in mind, he is still only 25 years old. All goalies are going to face adversity and face more criticism for it than anyone else, it's how they in turn handle it that determines whether or not they can truly be elite. I like what I see from Henrik in those regards.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:47 AM
RFAN

Great game....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
oh man what a game,

just got back

Nice to see the third line doing well....had the pleasure of sitting next in front of a whole row of hab fans, 4 of which were 4 teenage girls that were drunk off their ass it was kind of funny, if anyone saw them, the girls with painted faces, H A B S.

Anyway, stinks that Lundqvist couldn't get the shutout but a great game by the boys, impressive win
I was sitting in the 201 right in front of them, they were kind of funny, but man were there a lot of Habs fans around...with flags and sign, in French no less, running around the garden. That crap was annoying. The garden has really changed over the years, there would have been fights all over the place years ago if that went on. Lots of yelling but nothing else, maybe the 8 dollar beer has something to do with that.

As for the game, team looked solid even with all the one sided calls against them. Great to see them skating for a whole 60 minutes. I haven't seen the replay but that goalie interference against us late that cost us a goal seemed like a weak call and the first call a Stall was also weak as hell.

All in all, great game and I am predicting this the turning point of the season because it is the only game I'm going too!

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Ola

What I really liked from us last night was our decision making with the puck.

We where much more humble with the puck then we have been with in the past. Don't get me wrong, but I hope Brendan Shanahan was watching...

Our 4th line naturally played like they always have. Our 1st played like a 1st should.

But the diffrence was in our 2nd and 3rd line.

Hossa-Drury-Moore made sure to get the puck down deep, where they stayed in a really good defensive position, and still pressured the puck. They didn't start to gamble right away when they got the puck. They got it deep. Moore struggled in some aspects, but he was also really good along the boards sitting back on the right side. Hossa and Drury shifted on the forecheck really well, and took away the passinglanes defensivly.

Dawes-Dubinsky-Prucha also had it as priority nr 1 to get the puck down deep, and circle it. Sure their intensity and everything was great -- but they didn't gamble. They didn't try to create chances that wasn't there, instead they opted to get a circle gooing.

Montreal had 10 shots last night 5 on 5, only 10 shots. The reason for that was the we never "exchanged chances" with them, in combination with the work we put in. But in the past when we have had the same workeffort, we have still given up allot more chances, we didn't do that tonight.

Its here Shanahan comes in. IMO especially Shanny have been guilty of throwing everything on the net all the time, and especially also tryed very low % passes right after entering the attacking zone. Instead of making sure that they enter the zone correctly and gets a circle gooing. The same can be said of Callahan, Prucha and Drury when they have been together. They have tryed to finnish it off right away, without beeing in good positions to win rebounds, or screen the goalie or something. Lost the puck, without beeing good enough defenisvly to create turnovers and offense off that...

Renney must get this message across to Shanny, Avery and co too. He gets his message across to the kids, he must get it across to the vets too.

Old
01-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
Dubinsky has looked very comfortable lately. I like his game a lot, however, is it just me or does it seem like he thinks he's still playing lower level hockey. Things that he does, moves that he tries. Stuff that has probably worked his whole life, but against NHL defenses I think comes up short.
I think it's just you. He tries moves and stuff and they often work. He's playing at a NHL level, making NHL plays. Sure they don't work every time, but even Pavel Datsyuk doesn't pull off every move he tries. And he's still learning about what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Give me a break. Let's not pressure this kid into an Injury. Dawes does everything and as much as he can away from the puck, this kid is extremely talented off-esively and that alone should be enough to keep him in there, as long as you got defensively responsible player along side(dubinsky),Dawes is a magician on ice and I'm serious.
Not even close. Games like last night are exactly what you want to see out of Dawes. Not the invisibility act he does a lot of the time, when the only time you notice him is when he's shooting. However, I think a fair amount of that could have to do with his linemates. On a good like that he clicks with, he feels more confident to skate more and forecheck more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Montreal had 10 shots last night 5 on 5, only 10 shots. The reason for that was the we never "exchanged chances" with them, in combination with the work we put in. But in the past when we have had the same workeffort, we have still given up allot more chances, we didn't do that tonight.

Renney must get this message across to Shanny, Avery and co too. He gets his message across to the kids, he must get it across to the vets too.
Yeah, the defense that was missing for the past month and a half was finally there again. And guess what, so was the offense. I wonder if the lack of offense at the start of the season frustrated them so much they started changing their game and it screwed everything up. But at any rate, the shot blocking was there, the coverage was there, they denied Montreal odd man breaks, etc.

As for Shanny and Avery...I think they'll be ok, but I'm also starting to think that all this in and out of the lineup has had an adverse effect on the team as a whole. Just when they get settled, someone either goes in or comes out of the lineup, and they have to be assimilated.

Oh well, I guess all we can do is look forward to the next game and see how it goes

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:41 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
I was sitting in the 201 right in front of them, they were kind of funny, but man were there a lot of Habs fans around...with flags and sign, in French no less, running around the garden. That crap was annoying. The garden has really changed over the years, there would have been fights all over the place years ago if that went on. Lots of yelling but nothing else, maybe the 8 dollar beer has something to do with that.

As for the game, team looked solid even with all the one sided calls against them. Great to see them skating for a whole 60 minutes. I haven't seen the replay but that goalie interference against us late that cost us a goal seemed like a weak call and the first call a Stall was also weak as hell.

All in all, great game and I am predicting this the turning point of the season because it is the only game I'm going too!
Well it's also a matter that the ushers really make sure it doesn't get out of hand. One guy behind me was yelling and cursing the whole night at these Candiens fans and the ushers came over and was saying something like "I've been watching you for the last four minutes" then all this other stuff, then they shook hands and this was when the kids he was yelling at left to a chorus of ass hole chants.

I remember one of these kids starts yelling at us for a good minute and I didn't understand half of what he was saying. Kid had this long curly type of hair and a really bad beard. He was getting ripped on for that too. One guy was complaining that this guy was cursing so he was like "is weird good for you" the guy's like yeah that's fine I guess. Then starts shouting at the guy "you're weird! You have a weird beard go shave! You're a weird Canadian, go home!" the kid got so pissed. Meanwhile his retardely plastered friend is still cursing at them and he's like nah bro, you gotta say weird, there's kids around.

We also had some guy with a flag in the next section over who kept getting up yelling "Go Habs Go" he just kept getting booed. When they were singing their Ole song they got booed or we just said "You're G.." well you know. Throwing their hands in the air and standing up because their goalie made a save or because they got out of the zone meanwhile everyone in back of them is cursing at them to sit down or put their hands down. Such annoying kids. Talking so much crap like they were going to beat us all up or something. I saw one of them pounding his fist What a group of cretins. They didn't even have real jerseys either. They looked just so bad. They looked almost like football jerseys. One guy had one of those practice jerseys on. Well they got ripped on for that too . They start talking about Canada's sport and how the Habs won 24 Cups. We're like when's the last time you won the cup? 1994 they say. Guy's like hey jackass see that banner, it says 1994! Then they kept *****ing about 24 stanley cups, we're like how many have you been a live for? No response of course. After a 5 on 3 some guy starts mocking them, hey 5 on 3, her her her, we got a 5 on 3. I mean everyone, not just a few guys, but everyone in our section was giving these kids hell.

BTW, the reason why you see more opposing fans teams these days is because of the internet. People who can't go sell their tickets online and have no idea what team the person roots for. So then the person who goes to the game is a Habs fan or something. It's what happens all the time now. That's why you see so many of them and you see all of these fans from other teams in the Garden that you would have never seen in the past.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 01-13-2008 at 10:56 AM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Well it's also a matter that the ushers really make sure it doesn't get out of hand. One guy behind me was yelling and cursing the whole night at these Candiens fans and the ushers came over and was saying something like "I've been watching you for the last four minutes" then all this other stuff, then they shook hands and this was when the kids he was yelling at left to a chorus of ass hole chants.

I remember one of these kids starts yelling at us for a good minute and I didn't understand half of what he was saying. Kid had this long curly type of hair and a really bad beard. He was getting ripped on for that too. One guy was complaining that this guy was cursing so he was like "is weird good for you" the guy's like yeah that's fine I guess. Then starts shouting at the guy "you're weird! You have a weird beard go shave! You're a weird Canadian, go home!" the kid got so pissed. Meanwhile his retardely plastered friend is still cursing at them and he's like nah bro, you gotta say weird, there's kids around.

We also had some guy with a flag in the next section over who kept getting up yelling "Go Habs Go" he just kept getting booed. When they were singing their Ole song they got booed or we just said "You're G.." well you know. Throwing their hands in the air and standing up because their goalie made a save or because they got out of the zone meanwhile everyone in back of them is cursing at them to sit down or put their hands down. Such annoying kids. Talking so much crap like they were going to beat us all up or something. I saw one of them pounding his fist What a group of cretins.

BTW, the reason why you see more opposing fans teams these days is because of the internet. People who can't go sell their tickets online and have no idea what team the person roots for. So then the person who goes to the game is a Habs fan or something. It's what happens all the time now. That's why you see so many of them and you see all of these fans from other teams in the Garden that you would have never seen in the past.
Yea, those kids with the signs and crappy beard boy sat next to us for a few minutes talking to some guy in front of us. My buddy like whats up with the pig-Latin on your sign man. The kid like whats pig-Latin then starts getting fresh till everyone starts telling him to get the F out and he leaves. Same buddy had to rub it in to every Hab fan on the way out, must have add 1/2 hour to us leaving.
Yea, it maybe the snubhub effect but it made last night more entertaining... now if we lost I'd be signing a different tune.

Old
01-13-2008, 11:03 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I can't imagine what Sean Avery was saying to Jagr and Co. as they were walking off the ice that would bring those big smiles out of them. Personally, seeing Jagr smile like that is ALWAYS a good sign, nothing but good news.

And I certainly don't buy that story some guy posted on the boards here about Jagr and Drury having a "war" with eachother, they both went straight at eachother to say congrats after the game...I think the story was total B.S.

Big win fellas, you deserved it. Now let's look foward to our next BIG game on Monday. Cindy is waiting for us
Didn't see that.

Don't believe it either...but there was this guy that played for the Rangers once, you know, that guy named Aaron Ward. He was also "rumored" to have questioned Jagr

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:55 AM
NYR1724

With all the media outlets in NY, I would have expected one of them to pick up that there was tension in the room between Drury and Jagr. Not some random guy on the subway.

Ha. Reminds me of the Entourage where E tells Ari Gold that James Cameron is directing Aquaman. "Where'd you hear that... Friendster?"

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, the defense that was missing for the past month and a half was finally there again. And guess what, so was the offense. I wonder if the lack of offense at the start of the season frustrated them so much they started changing their game and it screwed everything up. But at any rate, the shot blocking was there, the coverage was there, they denied Montreal odd man breaks, etc.

As for Shanny and Avery...I think they'll be ok, but I'm also starting to think that all this in and out of the lineup has had an adverse effect on the team as a whole. Just when they get settled, someone either goes in or comes out of the lineup, and they have to be assimilated.

Oh well, I guess all we can do is look forward to the next game and see how it goes
I think our defense live and die on where on the ice we give up the puck, and when of course.

If we start a transition play, move through the neutral zone really fast, and then loose the puck within 0-3 seconds after we have entered the attacking zone, some of our guys really struglle to keep up with the other teams counter attack, like Malik, Toots and Girardi is defenitly not anywhere near world class at counting in the other teams players fast in their own end; you often see them getting caught out of position in thoose situations.

But, if we enter the attacking zone, get something gooing for 6-7 seconds atleast, the other teams forward loose the speed they got from the back check. They often sink pretty low with 2 d's and a center, so their wingers gets isolated. When we then loose the puck, it often takes 2-3 seconds for the other team to get organized and set up the transition play. Its in thoose situations Malik for example is really good. He gets to back down and take his position. Tyutin and Girardi is good at reading the play and often makes great defensiev plays standing up at their own blueline. We got really fast and hardworking LW's who first forechecks, and who then can bolt back after the first pressure and give us 3 guys on the right side of the puck all the time.

If we can get thoose 6-7 seconds on a regular basis; we are a really solid team defensivly. Its really hard to score on us. We might even be top 4-5 in the league.

Thats why its so important for us to 1. have centers who can set up a safe transition play, we don't have to be a threat on the counter attack, but we must be able to get into the attacking zone safe and 2. be able to establish pressure once we are in the attacking zone. Not gamble too fast. Rather take it into the corner then send a low % shot on the net right away. After thoose 5 seconds we can fire away all we want.

The lines we had last night achived that. Drury wasn't great at taking the puck into the attacking zone. But Hossa and Moore created enough turnsovers, and even shut it down in the neutral zone, so that they could get into the attacking zone safe, and once there they establised pressure. Avery-Drury-Shanny have also been able to get into the attacking zone, but they have not been able to establish much pressure, or win the puck back much on the back check/defense. Jagrs line with Dubinsky didn't establish all that much pressure.

Dubinsky had his line getting into the attacking zone real nice, once there Prucha and Dawes skated really hard and kept the puck there long enough.

And Gomez of course lead JJ's line.

Its these things we don't achive when we struggle.

Old
01-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Smashley

Quote:

Were you in D with your Wife and kids??

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:57 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Were you in D with your Wife and kids??
In row D but no kids, the two couples next to them. Right in the middle of the row!

Old
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Smashley

Quote:
In row D but no kids, the two couples next to them.
Ahhh I was right next to you! two girls brown hair, I was wearing home blues and my friend was wearing 3rd alternate. neato.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Ahhh I was right next to you! two girls brown hair, I was wearing home blues and my friend was wearing 3rd alternate. neato.
Wow, small world. I'm the guy who took the picture for you!

Old
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Wow, small world. I'm the guy who took the picture for you!
Whoah, what are the odds, crazy! Fellow HF'er and I didn't even know...

Old
01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Whoah, what are the odds, crazy! Fellow HF'er and I didn't even know...
Wow that is funny, my buddy was going ape sh#$ all night about the Hab fans... did you notice?

Old
01-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Wow that is funny, my buddy was going ape sh#$ all night about the Hab fans... did you notice?
Yeah he got up really quick when they were running around with the habs flag, my friend was like what the hell is he doing, she watched him stand up on the walk way then go sit down back on the other end of the row.

And I think on the first or second goal he thought he had spilled beer all over me since we both stood up so fast.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
RFAN

Quote:
Yeah he got up really quick when they were running around with the habs flag, my friend was like what the hell is he doing, she watched him stand up on the walk way then go sit down back on the other end of the row.

And I think on the first or second goal he thought he had spilled beer all over me we both stood up so fast.
Yea, he's tells you he done getting up then I turn my head and he is going after the kid with the flag... I'm like *** you doing... he says he going to take the guys flag and... thank god he thought better of it..

Old
01-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Yea, he's tells you he done getting up then I turn my head and he is going after the kid with the flag... I'm like *** you doing... he says he going to take the guys flag and... thank god he thought better of it..
if we were losing im sure he would have gone for it, ha

Old
01-13-2008, 06:52 PM
RFAN

Quote:
if we were losing im sure he would have gone for it, ha
Yea, maybe if the beers weren't so much... don't think he didn't have something to say to every Habs fan we saw walking out.

Good to see your friend got to see a good first game.

Old
01-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Yea, maybe if the beers weren't so much... don't think he didn't have something to say to every Habs fan we saw walking out.

Good to see your friend got to see a good first game.
she had a great time, those were awesome seats, usually im lucky to get 300s, if you ever need to get rid of some tickets you know where to find me