HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers looking for a goalie? Kolzig to Philly rumors to start soon?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2004, 11:53 AM
  #1
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Flyers looking for a goalie? Kolzig to Philly rumors to start soon?

It seems Jeff Hackett is suffering from "Positional Vertigo" and is out indefinitely.

With this latest setback to to the netminder and to Philly's goalie tandem of Hackett and Esche could one assume Bobby Clarke will start to talk to Washington about Kolzig? Tampa about the Bulin Wall or even to Phoenix about Burke?

TSN Link:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=69399

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 11:57 AM
  #2
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Highly unlikely, the Caps would want a defenseman as the main piece coming back. The Flyers have none to deal right now..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:00 PM
  #3
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
The Kolzig to Philly rumors have been afloat all week, and Hackett has been diagnosed with vertigo eariler in the week.

Hackett is the backup anyway.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:05 PM
  #4
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
The Kolzig to Philly rumors have been afloat all week, and Hackett has been diagnosed with vertigo eariler in the week.

Hackett is the backup anyway.
If he is out for the remainder of the year do you feel comfortable going into the playoffs with Esche and a minor leaguer as your back up? I probably think Bobby Clarke doesn't.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:09 PM
  #5
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
If he is out for the remainder of the year do you feel comfortable going into the playoffs with Esche and a minor leaguer as your back up? I probably think Bobby Clarke doesn't.
I don't care who the backup is, I feel comfortable with Esche as the starter. He's been great this year and I don't see any reason why he would be the cause of the Flyers losing a playoff round. Hitchcock thinks he can succeed as well, so a change in goalies is only coming from Clarke.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:26 PM
  #6
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Watters on MoJo said he heard that 3 teams are interested/floating around Kolzig: Philly, NYR and Colorado.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:38 PM
  #7
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I don't care who the backup is, I feel comfortable with Esche as the starter. He's been great this year and I don't see any reason why he would be the cause of the Flyers losing a playoff round. Hitchcock thinks he can succeed as well, so a change in goalies is only coming from Clarke.
And what happens if Esche is injured? Without some insurance, the Flyers would be in deep doo-doo. IMO getting a guy like Tugnutt as insurance might be in order.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
  #8
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
And what happens if Esche is injured? Without some insurance, the Flyers would be in deep doo-doo. IMO getting a guy like Tugnutt as insurance might be in order.
If Esche gets injured I'd rather them stick a Rubbermaid garbage can out there over Jeff Hackett. Getting a guy like Tugnutt I'd be okay with, because it would be clear that he'd be the backup. I don't want a guy like Kolzig, who could be the starter. Make Esche the starter and if Hackett is out long term get a guy that is an absolute backup.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 12:53 PM
  #9
Ajacied
Remember #9
 
Ajacied's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 23,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
And what happens if Esche is injured? Without some insurance, the Flyers would be in deep doo-doo. IMO getting a guy like Tugnutt as insurance might be in order.
Yes please.. Tugnutt is done like fried chicken. He's still a tremendous leader and great athlete though, he accepts his role, he works hard for it and he's been a great rolemodel and tutor for Marty Turco. He could be had for next to nothing, and he's also a pending UFA, what more do you want?

Hell, Turco has played a league leading 48 games and is on pace for a rough 78. I'm sure we can start Mike Smith, Dan Ellis or Jason Bacashihua in one of them, and even if Turco goes down, I think they are all already better than him..

Ajacied is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 01:32 PM
  #10
RE-HABS
Registered User
 
RE-HABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.blue
Watters on MoJo said he heard that 3 teams are interested/floating around Kolzig: Philly, NYR and Colorado.
Well if Watters is reporting interest in Philly and the other 2 teams mentioned for Kolzig it can't be true, he has been wrong about O'Neill and the 48 hour trade that passed about 48 hours ago making it 96 and counting.

Watters seems to throwing out names from every team to see if he can be eventually right, he has the Sydor rumors going too.

I do think Philly will be looking for a solid vet back up to Esche if not a starter if Hackett is out for the year with his condition.

RE-HABS is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 01:55 PM
  #11
btmarshall
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Actually, the notion that the Capitals are going to be demanding NHL-ready defensemen when they trade each or some combination of Kolzig, Bondra, Lang and Gonchar assumes that the Capitals are interested in winning hockey games between now and early April. That is far from assured. They are determined to shed about $25 million, just about halve the entire payroll. That is their goal. If in the process the team can better position itself for a run at the 1st overall draft pick and Ovechkin, or at worst the 2nd or 3rd pick, well why not?

 
Old
01-24-2004, 02:04 PM
  #12
Galiza_Rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Santiago, Galiza
Country:
Posts: 336
vCash: 500
What about McLennan? Or Shields to be the backup of Esche?

Galiza_Rules is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 07:47 PM
  #13
Steve L*
Registered User
 
Steve L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton, England
Country: England
Posts: 11,548
vCash: 500
On HNIC they just reported Kolzig for Therien and Hackett was being discussed.
I think both would clear waivers but I thought it was worth mentioning, even if it was just for a laugh.

Steve L* is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 07:56 PM
  #14
Poulinsflakjacket
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
On HNIC they just reported Kolzig for Therien and Hackett was being discussed.
I think both would clear waivers but I thought it was worth mentioning, even if it was just for a laugh.
I love that deal...it gets rid of a d-man I am sick of and...well Hackett.

but we should let the good people know it was Strachan that reported it...

Too good to be true.

Poulinsflakjacket is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 08:10 PM
  #15
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
I'd rather they trade for a backup so Esche won't be looking over his shoulder. Kolzig's 13 mil remaining is also a bit much when Therien will be an UFA and Hackett can be bought out rather easily.

blah is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 08:27 PM
  #16
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,992
vCash: 500
the kolzig to the flyers deal is dead or on hold because mcphee's price is very high.
the word the stopped the conversation was pitkanen. the capitals have done their salary dumping. the owner has said that bondra will not be traded. kolzig, gonchar or lang may be traded, but it will take deals that will improve the team in the near term, not 5 years down the road.

so...kolzig for hackett(vertigo??) or kolzig for cloutier or kolzig for shane hnidy...wait that was the ridiculous bondra to the senators rumor.

save your, "no way the caps get pitkanen for kolzig" comments. i know that was the price given to the flyers in several conversations and that is why there was no deal.

oh...if i had said that adam oates would have cost max ouellet, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, you would have said, "no way the caps get all that for that geezer oates!!"

so......

txpd is online now  
Old
01-24-2004, 08:54 PM
  #17
Winston Wolf
Registered User
 
Winston Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Oahu, HI
Posts: 7,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
save your, "no way the caps get pitkanen for kolzig" comments. i know that was the price given to the flyers in several conversations and that is why there was no deal.

oh...if i had said that adam oates would have cost max ouellet, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, you would have said, "no way the caps get all that for that geezer oates!!"

so......
Please, the two deals wouldn't even compare. Oates was having a great year and was LEADING the NHL in assists and was like top 5 in points, Kolzig, on the other hand, has had a horrible season. Add in the fact Kolzig has an expensive contract and that the Flyers had no commitment to Oates (UFA to be) and you probably will be seeing the Jagr trade all over again.

Seriously, I think Kolzig is going to be traded some time this season, and you are going to be VERY dissappointed.

And, BTW, how do you "know" that Pitkanen was the price talked about in several conversations?

Winston Wolf is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:03 PM
  #18
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
lol Kolzig talks starting w/ Pitkanen is absurd, even for this board.

blah is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:04 PM
  #19
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
the kolzig to the flyers deal is dead or on hold because mcphee's price is very high.
the word the stopped the conversation was pitkanen. the capitals have done their salary dumping. the owner has said that bondra will not be traded. kolzig, gonchar or lang may be traded, but it will take deals that will improve the team in the near term, not 5 years down the road.

so...kolzig for hackett(vertigo??) or kolzig for cloutier or kolzig for shane hnidy...wait that was the ridiculous bondra to the senators rumor.

save your, "no way the caps get pitkanen for kolzig" comments. i know that was the price given to the flyers in several conversations and that is why there was no deal.

oh...if i had said that adam oates would have cost max ouellet, a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, you would have said, "no way the caps get all that for that geezer oates!!"

so......
This seems like a heck of a lot of heresay. Aren't you the guy who wouldn't accept anything for Jagr except Lindros and apparently neither would McPhee?

You didn't cite one source for any of your claims. I think you're overvaluing Kolzig a heck of a lot if you think you're gonna get an Oates like return for him. Or even Pitkanen for that matter.

Bobby Lou is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:23 PM
  #20
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Morgantown PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
lol Kolzig talks starting w/ Pitkanen is absurd, even for this board.
Beyond absurd- just plain stupid. Caps won't get crap for Kolzig- late round pick at best.

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:25 PM
  #21
eric824
Registered User
 
eric824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineers
Beyond absurd- just plain stupid. Caps won't get crap for Kolzig- late round pick at best.
Then he won't be traded - period.

eric824 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:27 PM
  #22
blah
Registered User
 
blah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric824
Then he won't be traded - period.
If they're dumping salary anything can happen.

blah is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:34 PM
  #23
eric824
Registered User
 
eric824's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
If they're dumping salary anything can happen.
They're not THAT eager to dump salary. Jagr's was the only contract the organization considered an untradeable millstone. Anyone else will require something valuable in return or GMGM will laugh and hang up on whoever is offering late round picks.

eric824 is offline  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:42 PM
  #24
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast
This seems like a heck of a lot of heresay. Aren't you the guy who wouldn't accept anything for Jagr except Lindros and apparently neither would McPhee?

You didn't cite one source for any of your claims. I think you're overvaluing Kolzig a heck of a lot if you think you're gonna get an Oates like return for him. Or even Pitkanen for that matter.
umm...no. actually, i am the guy that was told thursday pm that the team was told jagr was traded and that they were not told who was coming back. i am the guy that took too much from lindros scratch and have paid the price for that.

however, i had no preference as to who came back in the trade.

yes...its likely that asking for pitkanen was absurd. wouldn't an absurd demand kill a deal? yes. has there been a deal? no. is the deal reported as dead? yes.

txpd is online now  
Old
01-24-2004, 09:48 PM
  #25
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
If they're dumping salary anything can happen.
leonsis was on the radio for his after trade interview. he said bondra would not be traded and indicated that the caps now had the flexibility with their payroll that they needed to improve the team.

mcphee has said that they want to see this team play for a while and see how they do. why say that and then make another deal after two games? I dont think the caps have any intention of salary dumping anymore players. they may well trade lang, kolzig, or gonchar, but they will require a return that will improve the team. kolzig's agent has told the caps that he is willing to restructure his contract to fit into whatever cap numbers are agreed to. so, it doesnt sound like the caps are going to just take a 5th round pick for him.

of course there are the dreamers:
bondra to ottawa for shane hnidy
kolzig to the flyers for a 6th round pick
lang to dallas for ott and a 4th
gonchar to toronto for a 3rd round pick

txpd is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.