Bruins Rumours - Kolzig & Bondra

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2004, 12:59 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Bruins Rumours - Kolzig & Bondra

OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch also reported on potential moves by the Capitals. Regarding Bondra, he believes the Bruins and Avalanche may be interested as well as the Senators. Garrioch also claims the Sens may offer up either their first or second round pick in 2005 plus winger Petr Schastlivy for Bondra. The Red Wings might want Lang but only if the Caps pick up part of his salary. The Rangers, Bruins and Canucks are "believed" to have contacted the Capitals about Kolzig, and the Maple Leafs supposedly want Gonchar in a package with Bondra.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word" for the TSN and Washington Post stories. The Leafs or anyone else can forget about Gonchar for a month, as that's how long he'll be out with a seperated shoulder. Of those others, Bondra is the easist to move as he'll be a UFA this summer unless somebody is willing to pick up his option year for next season. He'd make a good playoff rental for a playoff bound club. Lang's salary will make him tough to move, as will Kolzig's. That probably won't stop the Caps from trying to move one or both of those two.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Old
01-24-2004, 01:06 PM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER
OTTAWA SUN: Bruce Garrioch also reported on potential moves by the Capitals. Regarding Bondra, he believes the Bruins and Avalanche may be interested as well as the Senators. Garrioch also claims the Sens may offer up either their first or second round pick in 2005 plus winger Petr Schastlivy for Bondra. The Red Wings might want Lang but only if the Caps pick up part of his salary. The Rangers, Bruins and Canucks are "believed" to have contacted the Capitals about Kolzig, and the Maple Leafs supposedly want Gonchar in a package with Bondra.

Spector's Note: My thanks to "Word" for the TSN and Washington Post stories. The Leafs or anyone else can forget about Gonchar for a month, as that's how long he'll be out with a seperated shoulder. Of those others, Bondra is the easist to move as he'll be a UFA this summer unless somebody is willing to pick up his option year for next season. He'd make a good playoff rental for a playoff bound club. Lang's salary will make him tough to move, as will Kolzig's. That probably won't stop the Caps from trying to move one or both of those two.

<BR>

I have no idea why we'd ever want Kolzig at this point, and although Bondra would probably be a nice addition, you just know MOC couldn't pull that off. There's just too many teams out there that need a sniper like that.

MOC has to get the guys nobody is chasing...which usually means they're non-factors. He's just not able to compete with other GM's for real talent.

He should be calling Kevin Lowe daily to inquire about Smyth, Smith, Brewer and Larocque. But you just know he isn't.

Old
01-24-2004, 01:08 PM
whatsbruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER

Don't see why the B's would be interested in Kolzig.
Both Raycroft and Potvin are playing well. They had
a rocky month or so, but Raycrofts numbers are very
good to excellent.
Raycroft costs about 1/5 of Kolzig.

Old
01-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsbruin
Don't see why the B's would be interested in Kolzig.
Both Raycroft and Potvin are playing well. They had
a rocky month or so, but Raycrofts numbers are very
good to excellent.
Raycroft costs about 1/5 of Kolzig.
Don't these rumors get out of hand? Do any of these writers ever read what they write? Kolzig to Boston? What the hell for? He makes $3.5-4M or so, meaning the B's would pick up 1.5-2M in salary. For what? More likely - Olie to NYR.

Would Bondra be worth picking up for a reasonable draft pick? Mayyyybe. What would they be asking for? 3rd round since he's an UFA?

Old
01-24-2004, 01:45 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy
Don't these rumors get out of hand? Do any of these writers ever read what they write? Kolzig to Boston? What the hell for? He makes $3.5-4M or so, meaning the B's would pick up 1.5-2M in salary. For what? More likely - Olie to NYR.

Would Bondra be worth picking up for a reasonable draft pick? Mayyyybe. What would they be asking for? 3rd round since he's an UFA?
Bondra, a proven 40 goal guy for a 3rd round pick? You are dreaming. He will cost a good prospect/young player and picks.

Old
01-24-2004, 02:14 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
Bondra, a proven 40 goal guy for a 3rd round pick? You are dreaming. He will cost a good prospect/young player and picks.
Correct...The deal I'm hearing with ottawa would be for Vermette and a #1....

Old
01-24-2004, 03:07 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
Quote:
A 3rd and Huml will be fine if Spagetti head carter can land Jagr!

Old
01-24-2004, 03:36 PM
Michael Karlstrom II

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets
A 3rd and Huml will be fine if Spagetti head carter can land Jagr!
the going rate for first line difference maker rentals at the deadline is a first rounder, a good kid who can play, a prospect who seems likely to play, and usually some other sort of consideration.

We have seen time after time that some team will pay this premium for a shot at improving their odds at the cup.

Personally I dont think Bondra is worth it. At his best he was probably the best pure goal scorer in the NHL for a season or two. He hasn't been at his best for several seasons now. If I am ranking the top offensive threats in the game now Bondra doesn't make my top 10 list and I could argue he doesn't make the top 20 too.

He would be a second line addition for me with us and as such not worth the premium price he will command.

Jagr went for Carter because Jagr has several years left on his contract. Bondra will be a UFA next season and thus is not in the same catagory for trade.

I sort of think we should be looking for Jagr types myself. I mean the Rags got him for around 6 mill a year basically. Jagr is overpaid at 11 mill but he is actually a bit of a bargain at 6. When motivated Jagr is still the top offensive player in the game and even at half speed like we have seen him the last couple years he is still a top 20 scorer.

There are a couple guys out there who may become contract dumps with their current teams eating half or more of their paychecks.

Bill Guerin anyone? If Dallas pays half of his deal we could have him at 4.5 mill for our playoff run this season. Then to find the room to keep him next year we simply let Murray walk. Frankly for what they bring on the ice I think Guerin and Murray are about equal and maybe Guerin is even better given his more physical game.

I'd sacarafice a top pick and a top prospect plus for Guerin but I don't think he will cost that much.

Maybe Get Matvicuck too if we are willing to throw in something good as prospects in the deal though.

Old
01-24-2004, 03:40 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
If we are looking for a Jagr type i say we holdout for edmonton to fall even more out of the playoff picture and make a run at Ryan Smyth. Tjis guy just plain brings it every night! He would be awesome with jumbo joe feeding him. He is a tireless worker.

Old
01-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Eugene

Isnt our most glaring concern (and it has been since Ray left) a top-flight defenseman?

Old
01-24-2004, 05:30 PM
brianscot

Bondra is 36 and a soon to be UFA. If any team gives up a prospect and a #1 for him, Washington will be quite happy with the salary dump.

He might be a good fit for a goal starved team like New Jersey.

It's not that far fetched, they survived Alexander Mogilny's one trick pony act too.

Why would Ottawa need another finesse forward?

Old
01-25-2004, 12:24 AM
Schlep Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy

The Ragz have Dunham and Markkanen, not a bad combo at all. The two combine for a 2.56 GAA and a .913 save %. Not too shabby at all.

For comparison sake... Raycroft/Potvin have a combined 2.37 GAA and a 0.913%

Everyone always assumes the NYR are going to pick up people with salaries.

They have no need for Kolzig, nor do the Bruins. If anyone is in the market for a goaltender, it MIGHT be Colorado. While Aebischer has been playing stellar, remember, PL said no matter what it will be a situation re-examined near the trade deadline. Does he go with the inexperienced Aebischer or the goalie with playoff experience (even though his record isn't very good?). Personally I'd go with Aebischer right now but who knows what happens between now and then.

Also... Philly? Quite possibly.

One 'Cap who isn't mentioned in trade rumors but I'm hearing some noise about him, Jeff Halpern. Dealing Halpern and his 1.5 million dollar salary makes about ZERO sense to me but sometimes dealing a player DOESNT make sense. See how this plays out.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Beezy

Send a message via Yahoo to Beezy
Quote:
Probably more than a 3rd round as you say, but I was messing around thinking of Bondra's UFA status after year end. Thinking back a bit, Philly did give up a slew of high picks for Oates, didn't they? Was just too lazy to go back and look up what other quality rentaplayers have gone for.

Old
01-25-2004, 11:51 AM
Magnus Fulgur

stuff

Jillson and Hilbert for Bondra?

Old
01-25-2004, 01:08 PM
Bruwinz37

After watching last night I am convinced that Bondra or Ryan Smyth should be our biggest targets. Yes, I would rather have that #1 defenseman, but the fact is there is a lot more you have to give up to get them and we dont want to sacrifice too much of the future.

Smyth or Bondra would be excellent options for our top two lines. Bondra plays the point on the PP and has a blazing shot. He is aging and is a potential UFA but he would certainly make this team a lot more dangerous offensively. Smyth is a player that would be even more ideal. He is a player we could keep long term, he is a leader, has a great work ethic, is a great passer, and plays well down low. 40 goals easy with Joe.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Jeff from Maine

One Trick Pony?

Almo is a 1 trick pony?

Ask any one who has watched him for any real length of time and they will tell you that he is a good defensive forward.

You probably rmember only the Mogilny of Buffalo "fame". Once he was traded to Vancouver, he started seriously working on his defense, and he actually became a slid defensive forward.

The Devils, with their endless supply of defenisve forwards played him considerably on the PK, as did the Leafs.

Good defensive forward and excellent offensive guy.

I wish we had moved for him!

Later

Old
01-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Spitz

I'm a HUGE Ryan Smyth fan -- he's far and away my favourite non-Bruin -- but is there ANY reason to believe the Oilers would make him available? I just can't see it happening, short of us giving away the farm...

Closed Thread