HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fernandez a possible Flyer? (Rob Parent Article

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2004, 09:01 AM
PF

vCash: 500
Fernandez a possible Flyer? (Rob Parent Article)

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=18170&rfi=6

It's not an actual rumour per say, it's his educated guess but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Also the article mentions Jani Hurme's current condition and the possibility he has cancer (he and atlanta currently await the Biopsy results), this was the first I had heard of this, despite a topic being on the Atlanta board, so I thought others may have missed it.

Alright, with that out of the way I'm wondering what sort of thing Minnesota would want in return for Fernandez, he played for Hitchcock’s minor-league team in Kalamazoo once for some background information between these two and he sounds a bit upset at his situation in Minnesota...

Quote:
"It doesn’t matter," a frustrated Fernandez said about a mistake he made that led to a Nashville goal in a 2-0 loss to the Predators Monday. "We didn’t score a goal. It wasn’t like it was (bleepin’) 1-1. There’s nothing else I can say."
Aside from that the article takes a couple of cracks at the Rangers and Jagr and ends with a nice quote from Igor Ulanov.

Quote:
Oilers defenseman Igor Ulanov, on whether his old Rangers teammate Mark Messier will ever retire: "Nah, he’ll be in a wheelchair with skates on the bottom yelling, ‘I’m open, I’m open.’"

Old
01-25-2004, 09:07 AM
PF

...what I forgot to mention...

It wouldn't be worth getting Fernandez for much as Esche is capable of being our #1, but if Hackett is out indefinately I'd rather have a suitable rotation goaltender than having Antero sitting without getting the starts he needs to develop properly. Fernandez is a UFA/RFA (the article said he was 29 but I don't know what he'll be at the end of the season) at the end of the season.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Dr Love

I wouldn't mind Fernandez. If Hackett is out long term and the team wants a vet to backup Esche, then I hope that they get a clear BACKUP and not someone that could easily be a starter. Fernandez fits that role.

Old
01-25-2004, 09:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
I wouldn't mind Fernandez either.

He's done something no Flyer goaltender has ever done: Win games 5 6 and 7 in succession.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-25-2004, 10:39 AM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Fernandez? I like it!
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ight=fernandez

Old
01-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Brad*

It wouldn't be a bad option to back up Esche. I like that idea much more than some of the others I've heard.

Old
01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
mrs9x

Fernandez is a great option

He is a solid guy who would be a great backup to Esche...plus, we wouldn't have to give up the farm to get him. I would think we would be able to pluck him away from Minnesota for a draft pick, considering he is a UFA at the end of the year. I'd like to resign him, though, if he were traded here.

It would be awesome to have two, relatively young goalies as our rotation for the forseeable future...

Old
01-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Bennevol10

I wouldn't mind having him but what would you give up for him... That is my question... Draft picks or Sharp or prospect and draft pick or Somik and draft pick or ???

Old
01-26-2004, 11:08 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Can we move Somik + something for him? I know it's vague, but I just want to rid the Flyers of the dead weight. I'd take Chouinard back if they could package it.

Chouinard or Somik? Who do you take?

Old
01-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Teezax

i think Somik has Minnesota written all over him. He sometimes shows some offensive flare but never finishes, and his defensive game is very well executed, he could be quite a pickup for the WILD especially if they give him the minutes. Fernandez would do very well here, i'd do it.

Old
01-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Rex88

On the main trade board someone had mentioned Pletka for Manny - I said sure, but not a reality.
Somik would be trade bait but we are awful thin now on wing and would need to make a deal at some point to pick up a grinder/3rd line type if we move anyone else.
Should not have moved Choiunard.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex88
On the main trade board someone had mentioned Pletka for Manny - I said sure, but not a reality.
Somik would be trade bait but we are awful thin now on wing and would need to make a deal at some point to pick up a grinder/3rd line type if we move anyone else.
Should not have moved Choiunard.
I'd be looking for a package of a goalie and forward. Chouinard would be a decent player, but I don't know how well he did for Hitch. He didn't see too many games. I think he has a better scoring touch than Somik, and Somik seems to be all around mediocre. If Lemaire could use him, then by all means send him over. Anybody know about any forwards in Minnesota that would fit a third line role?

I wonder how much Fernandez would like to be a back-up. He certainly played well enough last year to get a starting job.

Old
01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Fire Bobby Clarke

I'll take Fernandez over Kolzig or Burke.

Closed Thread