HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why was Malik scratched?

Old
01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Why was Malik scratched?

Malik have basically alone given this team a 3-0 lead tonight with his tremendous PKing. Looking at how this teams defense have looked the last games I just can't understand how its possible that Malik have been a scratch.

IMO scratching Malik might have been Renneys worst decisions as a coach here in NY. Defenitly our best D tonight!

Malik played over 60 minuts of shorthanded hockey in the PO's last season and wasn't in for ONE goal against, not ONE. And many of thoose where 3 on 5.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:44 PM
NYRfan11

I gotta agree on the PK thing. I think over the last 3 yrs, Malik's been a very good PKer, and especially on 5 on 3's. They use 2 guys in the shooting lanes, and Malik is great at stopping the pass across down low, which usually is the perfect way to stop the opposition. I mean recently he hadnt played well, but I guess he's more comfortable tonight playin with Rozy.

NYRfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Forever Blue

I can't blame Renney for scratching him, he had been less than stellar recently to say the least. But you can't complain about his performance tonight, he's been rock solid. Just keep this level of play up, and he won't have to worry about being scratched.

Forever Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:48 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Why was he scratched? Because he ****ing deserved to sit and was awful. Common, Ola. Give me a break here. Malik was HORRIBLE for a while. Maybe the scratching is what gave him the wake-up call to play like he's played so far tonight? He was our worst player for a long, long time. The scratching, IMO, might've been Renney's BEST move as a coach if it gets a foot up Malik's ass to have him playing like this for more than one game (if that even happens).

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:58 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
IMO scratching Malik might have been Renneys worst decisions as a coach here in NY. Defenitly our best D tonight!
Scratching Malik was a great decision because it fired him up and got him playing the way he is tonight because he doesn't want to be embarrassed again.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:10 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
That last goal by Montreal was why he was scratched. Just standing around doing nothing when two guys are in front. Lift a guys stick, *******. Crosscheck someone. Do something. Don't just lazily stand around. Sheesh.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Malik have basically alone given this team a 3-0 lead tonight with his tremendous PKing. Looking at how this teams defense have looked the last games I just can't understand how its possible that Malik have been a scratch.

Malik played over 60 minuts of shorthanded hockey in the PO's last season and wasn't in for ONE goal against, not ONE. And many of thoose where 3 on 5.
I'm pretty sure it was the 3 goals they scored that gave them the 3-0 lead, not Malik. The decision to scratch Malik was the right one. Malik coming back and playing a good game tonight doesn't mean Renney was wrong to bench him when he played like crap. In fact, it further validates Renney's decision.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:40 PM
shon

Malik was scratched because of STAAL . he had to be on the first pair with Rosival. How did we make out. Malik is human and does make mistakes like everyone else but has the experience and skill that Staal does not. Staal can't live off his poke check.He can handle 15 minutes a game and do well like tonight.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Levitate

Well, like others said, he was scratched because he was playing poorly. If he continues to play well, he'll continue to play.

This isn't too hard, is it?

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ola talks about Malik like he owns stick in his company or something. Malik sucked. Malik was scratched. Cause and effect. The problem is when you replace a garbage player with an even worse player (Strudwick) the garbage player doesnt look all that bad.

Heres a novel idea, get rid of em both, and get someone who can actually play #6 minutes without giving you a heartattack everytime they step on the ice. Not a lot to ask for imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:03 PM
polako

Ola, Malik had been having a string of poor games. I don't think he should have been scratched for more than one or two, but still needed a seat. It was great to see him back in the lineup and playing such good hockey tonight. Wonderful work at even strength and on those 2 5 on 3s.

It would be nice to see him stay on that 5 man first unit alongside Rozsival, where he's played so admirably the last 2 years, regardless of what the majority of public opinion around here may believe.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
now dont get me wrong, yes malik has played a bad string of games. but getting malik back in the lineup tonight was a great move. this team needed a shakeup on d and the results were there. now ive gotten on malik before because frankly he deserves it, but renney made a fgreat move putting him back in and i think he will play well. he makes a good first pass out of the zone and is a good pk'er. not a bad game by him tonight.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:22 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Malik was great tonight, I hope he keeps it up. Maybe scratching him all those games lit a fire under his butt. One can only hope .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:

I don't agree at all that Malik being in the lineup was the difference tonight. He was very solid on the PK, as was the entire team, but the lazy defense he played on the Habs goal showed why he has been out so much this season.

I guess he should play again Monday since he did more good than bad tonight, but I think the team could have won tonight even if he wasn't in there.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I don't agree at all that Malik being in the lineup was the difference tonight. He was very solid on the PK, as was the entire team, but the lazy defense he played on the Habs goal showed why he has been out so much this season.

I guess he should play again Monday since he did more good than bad tonight, but I think the team could have won tonight even if he wasn't in there.
the fact of the matter is, Malik is better than Strudwick. But thats more a statement to just how bad Strudwick is than how good Malik is. Neither can be depended on to play well all the time. Not superb, not fantastic, but "well". like doing all the stuff a typical #6 defenseman does. ive said it before, and ill say it again, the first thing, the only thing i do right now to change this team (Again, just for right now) is to replace both these nimrods and get a reliable guy in there.

Old
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I tend to think that Malik is actually a pretty good defenseman and definitely a good #6. The problem is that whenever he makes a mistake it's such a terrible, glaring mistake that you can't help but notice it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:30 AM
shady8277

didnt let up one goal in the playoffs? what about those 2 nice passes he layed out for bufflao one nice one dead center 20 feet from the goal

shady8277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:30 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I tend to think that Malik is actually a pretty good defenseman and definitely a good #6. The problem is that whenever he makes a mistake it's such a terrible, glaring mistake that you can't help but notice it.

cause he is so freakin slow

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:31 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
the fact of the matter is, Malik is better than Strudwick. But thats more a statement to just how bad Strudwick is than how good Malik is. Neither can be depended on to play well all the time. Not superb, not fantastic, but "well". like doing all the stuff a typical #6 defenseman does. ive said it before, and ill say it again, the first thing, the only thing i do right now to change this team (Again, just for right now) is to replace both these nimrods and get a reliable guy in there.
Pretty much. Both guys have their pluses (I think Strudwick works harder than Malik, but Malik obviously has a size advantage), but I don't want to see either of them on the ice at any critical juncture.

With that said, other than the Habs goal, Malik played solidly tonight.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:35 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
he makes terrible plays that end up in the back of the net almost all the time. its not like a typical defenseman where a forward makes a great play, and they get beat. its like, hes standing all alone behind his net, tries a home run pass up the middle, the puck is stolen by a buffalo forward, and costs us a playoff game.

it happens....all....the.....damn....time.

if he simply stopped making those retarded ass plays, he would never be scratched because for the most part, he does play well, but those big mistakes, they kill your team, and generally offset any good will the fans have towards you from all the good you do.

its been my stance on him all the time, you can not win a championship with a defenseman who is good for one retarded play a game (on average) which most of the time end up behind your goalie. that is why he must go.

Old
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM
Celestial Black

He causes more problems then opportunities which is why he was scratched. A scoring chance in the beginning of the game and poor defense during the pk, which is what caused a goal.

Also, he once again almost deflected the puck in on Lundqvist.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:11 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Well Malik had a solid game tonight, except for one bonehead play which led to a Montreal Goal.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:35 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Malik has played like garbage. That why he was scratched.

As much as I hate the direction Renney has taken the team that was one of the better moves he's made. And it paid off...Malik FINALLY had an ok game! Though he was still half responsible for the only goal allowed on Lundqvist so its hard to say he was great on the PK.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:38 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
The reason its so noticeable is because he can NEVER recover.

Staal, Rosy, Tyutin, Girardi make mistakes also, the difference is they are able to recover half the time (whether it be a diving poke check, a hard skate back to recover, or force pressure on the man with the puck)

Malik is not fast enough to do anything.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

Ola talks about Malik like he owns stick in his company or something. Malik sucked. Malik was scratched. Cause and effect. The problem is when you replace a garbage player with an even worse player (Strudwick) the garbage player doesnt look all that bad.

Heres a novel idea, get rid of em both, and get someone who can actually play #6 minutes without giving you a heartattack everytime they step on the ice. Not a lot to ask for imho.
i would still like to see baranka, potter, or sauer up until the deadline and then trade for someone so as to give one of them some experience....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote