HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

In Hindsight, where would Daigle and Stefan go in their draft class?

Old
01-14-2008, 11:07 AM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy44 View Post
How can you seperate the two Sedins with Niclas Havelid in between? The Sedins have had almost identical careers and I wouldn't take Havelid over either of them. Ryan Miller, you can make a case for, but definitely not Havelid.
Havelid is a legit #1-#2 defenseman who eats up a lot of minutes. I like Daniel Sedin more for his ability to score more goals. I think Daniel and havelid were rated an 8.0 and Henrik a 7.8.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins309 View Post
No offense, but if you think Hal Gill, Shawn Bates, and Darren Van Impe have all had better careers than Grier, then you just aren't watching the games.
Those players all tied with a rating of 6.0 - so they were/are third line players or third pairing defensemen. I didn't take the time to make distinctions within that ranking bracket. Although Grier could be a 6.5 which would tie him with Daigle.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:30 AM
discostu

I think it's impossible to really judge Daigle based on his career as it's progressed.

I think if I had full knowledge of how every player's career had progressed from that draft, I'd still take him with a mid to late first round pick. With the raw skills he had, I'd be willing to take the risk that if you developed him better, that he'd stand a good shot at hitting his potential (even with his comments that he wasn't interested in playing hockey).

You swing for the fences in the first round, IMHO. If you have a guy that has a reasonable potential to be a superstar. It would be like Pittsburgh taking Angelo Esposito in the first round of this past draft. Despite all the issues, you still take the raw talent, and see what you can mold of it.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve466 View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam020305/nhl_ott2-sun.html

"Saying he didn't want to be a hockey player from the time he was drafted by the QMJHL's Victoriaville Tigres as a 16-year-old, Daigle maintained he only followed the hockey dream in attempt to make his father, Jean-Yves, proud."
I know what he said, but if he didn't like hockey, he wouldn't be playing it today.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote