HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Behind the scenes

Old
01-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Behind the scenes

Thought some of you might enjoy reading this. It's a translation of a blog, written by a Swedish journalist who happens to be a Rangers fan. Some of it is interesting, some is perhaps not, but I translated almost everything anyway.
http://blogg.aftonbladet.se/18756

Vive Le Hockey, part 1
Here again. In the Garden. Don't know why really. The logical thing would be to stay home and watch Senators - Red Wings on TV. There you can talk about a heavy weight matchup. The best two teams in the league, obvious Stanley Cup Finals candidates, in a first meeting in the capital of Canada since 2003. On top of that it's full of Swedish superstars on the ice. Woah.

But live is still live and Kovalev was totally wonderful to see before new year, so I've dragged myself here anyway.
Larry Brooks has a hard cough in the press room the hour before the opening face off. Thought you might want to know.
I was wrong. It didn't happen **** in the Rangers lineup after the brutal effort against the Flyers. But if a new fiasco follows tonight the overrated Sather has to do something. Has to!
No All-Star weekend for Henke. Rangers are instead represented by - Scott Gomez. That's a joke. The man from Jersey happens to be leading the team in points right now, be that doesn't say much when you play on a team that has only produced 107 goals this season, the guy also came here to be a playmaker for Jagr - and on that part he has failed to such a degree that he should reject the nomination.
I think Henke takes revenge tonight. On pure anger. Anger because things have been bad, anger because of the critics, anger because he got stolen on the All-Star weekend in Atlanta.
For the occasion, I have a tie tonight and he always plays on the top of his level when I do that.
The French that echoes between the shabby press room walls the nights the Habs are guests... it is too wonderful.
Alot of talk in the local papers about that the Rangers still are one of the best teams in the league - if they live up to their collective potential. On the other hand, it's mentioned almost nothing of why the Blue Shirts almost never do that - live up to their potential.
The way I see it, it has to be the responsibility of Renney. It's always repeated that the task of the coach is to get the best out of his men.
Simon (comment: a normal guy he's met in NY), the door man who's life's air seems to consist of antipathy against Renney, probably has a point somewhere.
But considering how unwilling the MSG management has been to sack the scandalized and hated - yes, hated - Knicks coach Isiah Thomas, the gentleman from Cranbrook can probably feel rather safe on his place behind the bench.
Old star keeper Curtis Joseph has implied that he wants to make a comeback and according to Canadian rumours I could make use of from a close Blackhawks supporter has mailed me the Rangers are considering offering him a contract.
Then Henrik has yet another reason to use that holy anger tonight.
OK, gametime. Let us hope for a magical night between the Rangers and the Habs again. See you in between the breaks.

Vive Le Hockey, part 2
It's something about the meetings between these teams, you can calmly acknowledge that. Awesome period again, characterized by a high tempo, aggressiveness and talented play. And it's the Rangers in the driver's seat.
The Blue Shirts are hungry tonight. It would be strange otherwise, but this time they also seem to be able to transform that apetite into great hockey. The home team is subsequently leading with a well earned 2-0.
Montreal only manages six shots, so Henke hasn't had much to do, but he does - especially on Montreal's two PP:s - some key saves and suddenly the HEN-RIK chant is echoing in the Garden again. That wasn't yesterday (and not the day before that).
Drury's 1-0 goal is one of the nicest of the season. On his way into the attacking zone, he drops the puck to his new linemate Hossa, makes his way by the defensemen, gets the puck back and just glides past Huet. There it's kind of hard to maintain the supposed press objectivity.
Johnny Mac is here. McEnroe, so to speak. And when he, for the night wearing a slightly too big Rangers hat, is zoomed in upon the biggest cheers of the evening erupts. New York never forgets a hero.
It's a magnificent atmosphere altogether. The Habs fans are chanting their songs - and the Garden Faithful responds with the roaring "Let's Go, Rangers". Occasionally, if feels like sitting next to a... well, I can't come up with a good comparison right now. But it's a helluva lot of noise.
A Steve Murphy from Alan Parson's Project (that apparently still exists, who could have known?) sings the national anthems and he does it better than anyone who's been here. He's got a pipe like Kovalev has wrists.
Marcel Hossa performs his best for the season. Maybee because he gets to play with Drury, maybee because it's rumoured the Rangers are about to trade him.
Perhaps I should remind that Rangers led with 2-0 after the 1st against the Flyers as well...
The PA goes with Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson said" in a commercial break. Stuff like that makes me so happy I could dance in a musical.
Ok, it's time again. Let's see if the Habs, that looked a little shaken by the furious Rangers' attack in the 1st, can respond. Later.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-13-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:05 AM
Chimp

Vive le hockey, part 3
Great, great hockey night in the Garden. 4-0 after the 2nd. It feels like the home fans haven't experienced these type of leads in years.
But the Rangers continues to play brilliant - while the Habs not quite are with tonight. They still seem a little confused that Jagr & c plays with such energy. Can it really be a surprise after what has happened?
Big drama in the press stands. The bonehead two places to the right of yours truly flips a glass of water over the linked desks. I perform a speed record in the upcoming Olympics event "lifting a laptop up in the air." As I can understand, we will make it without techincal difficulties. That's lucky for the bonehead. Otherwise we would have seen crowd fights at top level.
The most remarkable thing is that Rangers have solved two 5 on 3 PK:s. Or if it's the Canadiens who've blown them.
There are a bunch of cheerleaders from Canada right behind the press stand. We're not complaining.
Henke continues to perform very well when it happens things down at him. Worth mentioning is a highlight reel when he smothers the puck with his glove during one of those PK:s.
You know something is going on when even Jagr has speed going under his skates.

Vive Le Hockey, part 4
4-1 at the end. And a slightly less entertaining end of the act. It's almost always like that in these kind of games, when you sit and wait for the final crescendo. It gets uptight and cooled off instead. But it's nothing that for obvious reasons affects the atmosphere among the Rangers players afterwards.
They won - and are noticably relieved.
- Yes, you had almost forgotten how it is to win, says Henke half an hour afterwards, still sitting in full gear and receives questions about "how it feels."
- But it's still just a game. We have to move on
So, no musical danses from the goalie's corner. But relief.
The PA man seems to have good nerves. It's more than five minutes left when he breaks loose with the Rangers victory song, "Sweet Caroline." That could have costed him a few teeth during a really unfortunate night...
A female Czech reporter that would be described as "stunning" by American media, does a locker room interview with Malik. Then the unfortunate defenseman walks to the inner room where we don't have access - and a minute later Jagr comes running, with a wild look.
All of the sudden the reserved #68 would LOVE to be interviewed. That effect I don't have on any players but Lilja...
Henke admits the latest week has been tough. Despite that he doesn't read the NY papers.
- No, especially not when things have been like at the end. Then you avoid them completely. I read Swedish newspapers on the web instead...
Daniel Alfredsson was apparently king in the heavy weight meeting up in Ottawa.
Lundqvist smiles by the way at the rumours that Rangers would be interested in Curtis Joseph.
- There's alot of rumours right now. I've heard other stuff as well. But that's the way it is, stuff can happen fast here.
The own contract negotiations are underway, but are dragging out.
- Yes, they're negotiating 100%. I hope it's done soon.

Last edited by Chimp: 01-13-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old
01-13-2008, 08:09 AM
Levitate

Sounds pretty Swedishly biased

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
The Thomas J.*

Good stuff. Love seeing the behind the scenes.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:03 PM
nyrmetros

so who is the czech reporter?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:38 PM
NYRGirardi5

the guy who sang the anthem was amazing

NYRGirardi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
mhurley

Very funny! Jagr's got a roving eye. It begs the question, "Is Inna out?"

mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:32 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

thanks ola, that was good.

01-14-2008, 02:25 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGirardi5 View Post
the guy who sang the anthem was amazing
From the Allen Parsons project, who ever that is.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
thanks ola Chimp, that was good.
You're welcome.