HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

USA Travelling Teams

Old
01-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
USA Travelling Teams

I've been following the Little Caesars Midget Hockey Invitational in Grand Forks, where there are alot of these US travelling teams playing. It got me wondering; does anyone know what the rough cost is to play for one of these teams?

Here in Manitoba, playing for a Midget AAA team is expensive, but not what I would call cost prohibitive; it ends up being about $3000 CDN to play for a rural team, and probably a bit more for a city team (since ice time is more expensive). Families that would generally be considered "lower-middle class" can usually find a way to pay for it. With these US travelling teams, I'd be surprised if even your typical middle class family could afford to pay the freight, with all the travelling they do.

Anyone have any experience with these travelling teams, and know how they operate?

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:30 PM
hockeydadx2*

vCash: 500
You're quite correct; the teams can be very very expensive. A few of them are heavily sponsored, like some Tier I teams from Detroit such as Honeybaked, which for some of their players makes it pretty cheap, but in most other parts of the US players and their parents are paying big dollars. It's fairly typical for ice time alone to be well over $3000, with all of the other stuff on top of that. I know of some folks who have had to pay out well over $5000 for a season, or more.

It's too bad, because at some point this will really hurt hockey in the U.S.

hockeydadx2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:17 PM
ryan41
LETS GO RANGERS

i played a few years on a travel team in New Jersey. Bantam and then Midget A Red Bank Generals.

cost was around 4500 grand. like said some of the better teams in more hockey popular areas have sponsors, but this team was all out of pocket.

a huge commitment not only for the player but for the parents and family. the weekend will consist of extensive traveling to games/tournaments. Sort of tough to have a social life, but a great bonding experience. you really take a lot of pride in your game and your team.

def. not cheap, and a sacrifice for my parents, but it was a really great experience and the team did very well winning the NJYHL championship my second year.

Last edited by ryan41: 01-13-2008 at 08:27 PM.
ryan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
XweekendwarriorX

I know here in Buffalo NY that alot of the local youth teams have only done tournaments withing about 4 hours of Buffalo to keep the cost of travel down alot. Also the USA National boys tourney is here and i cant wait to ref that. i hope to see some great teams playing but i think that is what alot of these "better teams" might be saving up becuase its like a week long event.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:45 PM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
All and all, I think it cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 - 7.5K to play travel hockey on the team I was on. This total takes into consideration all travel (flight, gas), hotel, and team costs (ice, uni's, etc).

Personally, I wish I had given my parents a break and just played on a split season team that was more high school hockey and cost-friendly. I loved the competition at the travel level, but basically knew I wasn't going anywhere with hockey outside of maybe a solid D1-club program. Then again, hindsight is 20/20, so whatever.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Crosbyfan

How many hours of actual icetime, games and practice, would that typically represent, playing on a AAA travel team, and how would that compare to lower levels?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Pensfan86

Send a message via AIM to Pensfan86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
How many hours of actual icetime, games and practice, would that typically represent, playing on a AAA travel team, and how would that compare to lower levels?
Overall, we practiced two times per week (75 mins each), and generally played around 70 games. Some of these games were on the road though, and I honestly can't remember how many, but it was probably a pretty even breakdown. Tier II squads, at least the ones I played on, had three ice slots per week, each for an hour. One guarranteed practice during the week, and then two slots on the weekends, where we either had a game or a practice. Practices were anywhere from an 60 - 70 mins.

Pensfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:27 PM
XweekendwarriorX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I remember my coach telling us at the first practise we had about 100 hours of ice time to practise and we played 25 games at home and 45 away. i think this wasat the midget leval.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote