HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Habsfan18's "Taking a Look Back" (volume IV) "In The System" edition.

Old
01-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Habsfan18's "Taking a Look Back" (volume IV) "In The System" edition.

For those of you that aren't familiar with these, I have a huge collection of past THN issues and sometimes I like to do some write ups on here for people who are interested.

1. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=304463

2. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=354203

3. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=452634

--------------------------------------------------------

In this edition, we'll take a look at the January 11th, 1991 edition of THN.

This issue was the annual "In The System" issue. Basically, it was THN's "Future Watch" special..before it actually became known as Future Watch. It wasn't exactly the same format as Future Watch, but it did indeed focus on prospects.

- The cover states "Mid Term Report - Who's Hot, Who's Not Through First Half." The players on the cover include, Pittsburgh's John Cullen, Montreal's Denis Savard, LA's Wayne Gretzky, and Detroit's Sergei Fedorov.

- In Elstons weekly drawing there's a picture of Eric Lindros, with his agent talking to him. The caption reads, "Speaking of high expectations...Did I mention that we just retired your NHL sweater?"

- Bob McKenzie's column focuses on the fact the US were glad they tied Canada 4-4 in a game at the WJC.

- In this weeks "Cheers and Jeers" feature: Cheers to The Toronto Maple Leafs for finally finding their number 1 man - Peter Ing..and to Paul Coffey for becoming the 27th player in league history to record his 1,000th point....Jeers to Chicago for sending the 2 best goaltenders not in the NHL back to the minors after a brief callup-Dom Hasek and Jimmy Waite..and to Bruin's Chris Nilan for criticizing Sabres coach Rick Dudley for lacking courage.

- THN wonders if anyone can repeat the magic of John Druce this spring.

- Former Quebec coach Michel Bergeron predicts Joe Sakic will dominate in the 90's.

- Vladimir Krutov granted release by Canucks, but Soviet's contract remains unresolved.

- St.Louis sniper Brett Hull is breezing to victory in NHL all-star fan balloting.

- Chicago's Chris Chelios is vying for his 2nd Norris Trophy. His leadership and desire has kept the Hawks in or near 1st place overall for much of the season.

- In the latest CSB rankings for the upcoming draft (I'll do top 3 for each):
- Ontario League, 1. Eric Lindros 2. Pat Peake 3. Steve Staios
- Western League, 1. Scott Neidermayer 2. Brent Bilodeau 3. Pat Falloon
- Quebec League, 1. Patrick Poulin 2. Martin Lapointe 3. Phillippe Boucher
- NCAA, ECAC: Brad Layzell. CCHA: Aaron Ward. Hockey East: Scott Lachance. WCHA: Jim Storm.

- Each team report lists each franchises top 5 prospects. They are:

St.Louis = 1. Nelson Emerson.. 2.Denny Felsner.. 3. Jason Marshall.. 4. David Roberts.. 5. Rick Corriveau.

Toronto = 1. Drake Berehowsky.. 2. Rob Pearson.. 3. Ted Crowley.. 4. Alexander Godynyuk.. 5. Felix Potvin.

Minnesota = 1. Neil Wilkinson.. 2. Mike Craig.. 3. Dean Koistad.. 4. Pat MacLeod.. 5. Derian Hatcher.

Chicago = 1.. Karl Dykhuis.. 2. Jimmy Waite.. 3. Dominik Hasek.. 4. Ryan McGill.. 5. Cam Russell.

Detroit = 1. Dave Gagnon.. 2. Mike Sillinger.. 3. Bob Wilkie.. 4. Serge Anglehart.. 5. Stewart Malgunas.

Montreal = 1. Gilbert Dionne.. 2. Lindsay Vallis.. 3. Patrice Brisebois.. 4. Patrik Kjellberg.. 5. Patrick Carnback.

Boston = 1. Shayne Stevenson.. 2. Joe Juneau.. 3. Stephen Heinze.. 4. Ted Donato.. 5. Matt DelGuidice.

Quebec = 1. Valeri Kamensky.. 2. Kip Miller.. 3. Stephane Fiset.. 4. Niclas Andersson.. 5. John Tanner.

Hartford = 1. Mark Greig.. 2. Michel Picard.. 3. Chris Goverdaris.. 4. Barry Richter.. 5. Geoff Sanderson.

Buffalo = 1. Brad May.. 2. Donalde Audette.. 3. Darrin Shannon.. 4. Kevin Haller.. 5. Darcy Loewen.

New Jersey = 1. Jarrod Skalde.. 2. Jason Miller.. 3. Rickard Persson.. 4. Dave Marcinyshyn.. 5. Jim Dowd.

NYR = 1. Rick Bennett.. 2. Tony Amonte.. 3. Steven Rice.. 4. Louis DeBrusk.. 5. Rob Zamuner.

Philadelphia = 1. Claude Boivin.. 2. Craig Fisher.. 3. Greg Johnson.. 4. Pat Murray.. 5. Bruce Hoffort.

NYI = 1. Jason Zent.. 2. Travis Green.. 3. Dennis Vaske.. 4. Scott Scissons.. 5. Chris Taylor.

Pittsburgh = 1. Jamie Leach.. 2. Sandy Smith.. 3. Mike Needham.. 4. Shawn MacEachern.. 5. Brad Aitken.

Washington = 1. Jim Hrivnak.. 2. John Slaney.. 3. Olie Kolzig.. 4. Byron Dafoe.. 5. Steve Maltais.

Calgary = 1. Trevor Kidd.. 2. Kent Manderville.. 3. Thomas Forslund.. 4. Kevin Grant.. 5. Jason Muzzatti.

Edmonton = 1. Tomas Kapusta.. 2. Tomas Srsen.. 3. Collin Bauer.. 4. Dan Currie.. 5. Kim Issel.

Winnipeg = 1. Teemu Selanne.. 2. Stu Barnes.. 3. Kris Draper.. 4. Dan Ratushny.. 5. Patrik Eriksson.

Vancouver = 1. Eric Murano.. 2. Shawn Antoski.. 3. Jiri Slegr.. 4. Dixon Ward.. 5. Jason Herter.

LA = 1. Brent Thompson.. 2. Darryl Sydor.. 3. Robb Stauber.. 4. Rene Chapdelaine.. 5. Paul Holden.

----------------------------------------------------------

It really goes to show you that there are MANY prospects who never live up to the hype.

I'd appreciate some comments as it takes awhile to do these

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-13-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

It's a shame Cullen wasn't around for the Pens cup years, but considering the return they got for him, the trade had to happen. Apparently THN predicted that Hartford would win the trade.

And the prospect lists is like a who's who list of bad players that I had cards of in the early 90's. Anyone in the market for a Scott Scissons rookie card?

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
It's a shame Cullen wasn't around for the Pens cup years, but considering the return they got for him, the trade had to happen. Apparently THN predicted that Hartford would win the trade.

And the prospect lists is like a who's who list of bad players that I had cards of in the early 90's. Anyone in the market for a Scott Scissons rookie card?
I remember going through some old cards I had when I was like 8. I thought some of those cards would actually be worth something someday. I believe I also have a Scott Scissons rookie card.

Scissons did have potential, but injuries caught up to him..as like with many promising prospects.

Old
01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Raoul Duke*

Kind of funny how things work, and why I always get a kick out of how highly people hold prospects in regard around here.

Chicago with Jimmy Waite over Dominik Hasek. Who would have thought that Hasek would end up with Hart Trophies and be one of the greatest goalies in NHL history?

Raoul Duke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
- Former Quebec coach Michel Bergeron predicts Joe Sakic will dominate in the 90's.

He sure did nail that one.

Was a great read, once again. Really appreciate it. Keep posting these, presumably early 2000's or late 90's.

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:04 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Montreal = 1. Gilbert Dionne.. 2. Lindsay Vallis.. 3. Patrice Brisebois.. 4. Patrik Kjellberg.. 5. Patrick Carnback.
This is where it all began.

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
Kind of funny how things work, and why I always get a kick out of how highly people hold prospects in regard around here.

Chicago with Jimmy Waite over Dominik Hasek. Who would have thought that Hasek would end up with Hart Trophies and be one of the greatest goalies in NHL history?
Jimmy Waite. I picked up that Canada WJC DVD set from Zellers a few weeks ago. Waite was Canada's netminder in (I think it was) 1988. I honestly didn't think he looked that special. Reading old issues though, they made him sound like the next great Canadian goalie.

Those lists really make you think though. We praise prospects so much around here. Then you take a look at an old list like this and it sure does make you wonder. 10-15 years from now we could be taking a look at top prospects from today and say to ourselves..who?

Old
01-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
looking back at Edmonton's list..I don't think I've heard of any of those guys..
i have heard about Srsen. he dominated the norwegian league

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

1991 edition and they're describing Chelios to be a seasoned vet with good leadership.

Nas_Bert_Morr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Nas_Bert_Morr*

That was supposed to be a smilie...can't edit.

Nas_Bert_Morr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
- In the latest CSB rankings for the upcoming draft (I'll do top 3 for each):
- Ontario League, 1. Eric Lindros 2. Pat Peake 3. Steve Staios
Heh.

Quote:
Edmonton = 1. Tomas Kapusta.. 2. Tomas Srsen.. 3. Collin Bauer.. 4. Dan Currie.. 5. Kim Issel.
Ours isn't the only list that's sad, but ... god, that is sad.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas_Bert_Morr View Post
1991 edition and they're describing Chelios to be a seasoned vet with good leadership.
thats actually hilarious

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey View Post
Ours isn't the only list that's sad, but ... god, that is sad.
Kapusta and Srsen did seem like decent prospects at the time though.

Kapusta - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=2633

Srsen - http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=5115

Kapusta had seasons of:

Cape Breton (AHL)

55 12 37 49
73 21 46 67
67 18 33 51

Srsen:

Cape Breten (AHL)

72 32 26 58
68 19 27 46

Once again, it goes to show you that just because prospects are putting up decent numbers in the minor leagues..doesn't mean it'll happen in the NHL.

We here at HF seem to forget that. One of our teams top prospects gets 60-70 points in a season in the AHL and in our minds he's automatically guaranteed to be a 30 goal - 75-80 point man in the NHL.

I'm not trying to classify everyone at HF..but you guys have to agree this is how it goes at HF, alot of the time.

Old
01-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Habsfunk

Quote:
- Chicago's Chris Chelios is vying for his 2nd Norris Trophy. His leadership and desire has kept the Hawks in or near 1st place overall for much of the season.
I'm pretty sure that's the season Montreal traded him for Denis Savard. Now that's worthy of a

Of those prospects only Hasek and Selanne turned into true stars. Amonte and Kamensky had some decent seasons, and Joe Juneau had that great rookie year, but otherwise its a pretty underwhelming group. Either THN was completely out to lunch that year, or we're all wasting our time ranking prospects.

Habsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Grave77digger

Detroit = 1. Dave Gagnon.. 2. Mike Sillinger.. 3. Bob Wilkie.. 4. Serge Anglehart.. 5. Stewart Malgunas.

Bob Wilkie runs the proshop in my area. nice guy... Or wait, he did til he was kicked out of the rink for his recruiting practices.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:44 PM
STAALing

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1990e.html

How come NO prospect drafted in 1990 cracks any list ? It had to have some specifics like AHL prospects over 21 or something. If those were the best prospects in 1991, well I wasn't watching the same league 5 years later.

STAALing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by James15Sheppard View Post

How come NO prospect drafted in 1990 cracks any list ? It had to have some specifics like AHL prospects over 21 or something. If those were the best prospects in 1991, well I wasn't watching the same league 5 years later.
Berehowsky, Hatcher and Scissons to name a few are on the lists...

Old
01-13-2008, 08:47 PM
STAALing

Hmm I guess Scissons broke the Islanders' empty chart at #4. Go figure Pittsburgh drafted Jagr to have him behind Brad Aitken on their prospect list

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=5952

Old
01-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Hmm I guess Scissons broke the Islanders' empty chart at #4. Go figure Pittsburgh drafted Jagr to have him behind Brad Aitken on their prospect list

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=5952
Jagr likely wasn't included since he was already in the NHL.

Old
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
STAALing

That makes it kinda inaccurate. That would be like writing a paper on the habs prospects at the endo f this year without talking about SKost, O'Byrne, Price, etc...

Nice stuff though.

Last edited by STAALing: 01-13-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old
01-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Jose Corvo*

Awesome write up, I'll read the others you've written for sure. I'd like to see a similar write up for some mid-late 90's prospects.

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
1UP

"Chicago = 1.. Karl Dykhuis.. 2. Jimmy Waite.. 3. Dominik Hasek.. 4. Ryan McGill.. 5. Cam Russell."

Haha, Karl Dykhuis higher rated than Dominik Hasek! Incredible.

The guy played for the habs for many years without learning how to do a pivot on both sides.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 03:42 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Very interesting stuff. I hope you keep doing these.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Go Winnipeg

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:06 PM
CGG

Quote:

Gilbert Dionne, 4th round in 1990, # 1 on the Habs list. Awesome.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote